PDA

View Full Version : Any Lambo fans...

FN in MT
11-06-09, 18:52
A shot from maybe three years ago. Stopped this guy the summer before I finally retired. Just found some pics I'd forgotten I had. Thought I'd share.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h274/montanaguy375/DSC_0078_edited-1.jpg

The speed wasn't all that amazing....He was very decent and I shot him a break. Do recall joking with him that he should be ashamed to get caught at a mere 90 whatever on OPEN Montana roads in THAT car.

FN in MT

Ak44
11-06-09, 18:56
Nice car. What are the speed limits like out in Montana? There's a car company that rents out high end cars such as the lambo. I believe there called Gotham Dream Cars.

chadbag
11-06-09, 19:01
A shot from maybe three years ago. Stopped this guy the summer before I finally retired. Just found some pics I'd forgotten I had. Thought I'd share.

The speed wasn't all that amazing....He was very decent and I shot him a break. Do recall joking with him that he should be ashamed to get caught at a mere 90 whatever on OPEN Montana roads in THAT car.

FN in MT

The guys you worry about are the ones that are going 90 in cars that should not be going 90... (like the police car in the pic ;) )

Did they finally repeal the "unlimited speed limit" (or "reasonable and prudent") during daylight hours on the MT highways?

Chad

FN in MT
11-06-09, 19:26
Yeah the "Reckless and Ridiculous" limit went away years ago. Now 75 on the Interstate and 70 mph on most of the State Hwy's.

The "Reasonable and Prudent" limit worked surprisingly well after the inital exuberance passed. The average driver was at 80 mph or so on the highways. About where they are now with a 75 limit.

Man but the Troopers did wear out some cars back then. We had some Fords but mostly the big Chevy Caprices. We would cruise at 95-105 daytime, then at night it was back to 70-75 as we have so many suiciddal farm animals and big game.

The old days!! LOL.

FN in MT

Ak44
11-06-09, 19:41
The animals were foaming at the mouth and charging at the vehicles! :D

Mjolnir
11-07-09, 12:09
I adore high performance sports cars and while I'm a much larger fan of Ferrari (due to their actual competition with their cars) as opposed to the poseur nature of Lamborghini. That is a very rare Lamborghina Diablo Spyder (i.e., convertible). Very powerful and sounds like the devil when on full throttle. Did you let them go? I sure as Hades would.

Longhorn
11-07-09, 13:42
I adore high performance sports cars and while I'm a much larger fan of Ferrari (due to their actual competition with their cars) as opposed to the poseur nature of Lamborghini. That is a very rare Lamborghina Diablo Spyder (i.e., convertible). Very powerful and sounds like the devil when on full throttle. Did you let them go? I sure as Hades would.

That's the successor to the Diablo, it's a Murcielago Roadster.

And Lambo has competed in ALMS. They haven't done it as well or as often as Ferrari, but I think that's part of the reason why you sometimes see people say they are Ferrari fans more-so than Lambo. Wouldn't matter to me either way if someone tossed me the keys lol.

skyugo
11-07-09, 14:48

FN in MT

i bet it's hard to go less than 90 in car like that. :D

that's cool ya cut him a break... doesn't sound like he was trying to be reckless.

BrianS
11-07-09, 17:02
i bet it's hard to go less than 90 in car like that. :D

Could probably do it in 2nd or 3rd gear.

:p

glockeyed
11-07-09, 20:26
i think my 3rd tops at 90, so im sure a lambo does it in 2nd

great shot btw

MaceWindu
11-07-09, 20:42
2006 Lambo Gallardo....I was "hypothetically" doing 125mph 20 mins before this pic....:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/MaceWindu/Lambo1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/MaceWindu/Lambo2.jpg

Yes, I am wearing my BCM hat!!

Mace

DacoRoman
11-08-09, 00:20

FN in MT

I'm not even a big Lamborghini fan, but that thing is absolutely bitchin'...I even dig the fruity color on that thing :eek:

kwelz
11-08-09, 03:20
2006 Lambo Gallardo....I was "hypothetically" doing 125mph 20 mins before this pic....:D

Mace

You sir, are a jerk. :p

GKoenig
11-08-09, 03:34
When I was in high school, I spent a summer as the lot lizard at the local Lamborghini dealership. Most of their income came from selling/servicing used, high end European cars (BMW, Mercedes and Porsche) since nobody is going to keep a family fed selling 10-15 Lambos a year.

I learned a few things:

1- Valentino Balboni, Lamborghini's legendary test driver, is one of the most amusing people you can ever meet. He grew up with one of the shop's mechanics (who was a factory foreman at Lambo before moving to the US). One of his trademarks is wearing a baby blue jumpsuit at work, why? "Because I'm gonna crash one of these cars someday and I want to look good for Jesus."

2- The Diablo is a POS car. I am sure things got better at Lambo once they got the engineering resources of Audi/VW behind them, but my god... Underneath the pretty sheet metal, the Diablo is engineered on par with a tractor.

3- One of the most embarrassing events of my life occurred with a Countach at a gas station. Just before the end of summer and my leaving the dealership, the sales manager allowed me to take the Countach off the showroom floor for a spin. It needed a tank of gas and to generally be driven a little bit (it lived on the showroom floor, mostly as a showpiece). The only deal was that I had to pay for a tank of gas and I could take it out for 1 hour at the most.

So I am driving through Palo Alto, feeling way cool as a 17 year old driving the Lambo that existed on every kid's wall in those days. I pull into the Shell station, get out and... where the hell is the fuel filler cap?

Without a cell phone and freaked out watching my 1 hour with the car dwindle away, I am running all over hell trying to find where the frak to put fuel into this thing. It was to a point where everyone at the gas station was looking and giving their opinions. Hood open. Front trunk open. Both doors open. Crawling down in the footwell to see if there is a release for a door or something.

Finally, one of the gas station attendants found it. The fuel doors (there are two) are located about a foot deep into the air ducts on the side of the car. Inside is all flat black sheet metal and the doors are fit flush with only the hint of a thumb release to open them...

I got back the dealership in an hour and 10 minutes total, quivering in my pants that I was going to be in a heap of trouble.

Turns out, there was a pool going on how long it would take me to figure out where the fuel door was between the sales staff and the mechanics...

FN in MT
11-08-09, 14:45
Way back in the early 1970's I somehow had the good sense to buy a 4 year old BMW 2002 from a HS friends Dad. It was a dark blues stickshift car, Blaubunkt AM-FM (FM was relatively new) Koni shocks and nice new Michelin X tires on all four sides. Radials were also pretty NEW at that time. "Mister..your tires are all low".

I was working around Princeton, NJ and on my drive in to work from Stockton I was constantly seeing some sweet sports cars. Porsche 911's, a few other Bimmers and every week or so an orange Lamborghini MUIRA S . The Muira's were quite exotic and the stuff of legend.

One day I'm gassing up in Hopewell and in pulls the Lambo. The driver was a mechanic who owned a shop nearby and had seen me in the BMW several times. I luckily ended up getting a drive in the Muira a few weeks later when I visited his shop. It was a real beast. Power seemed to be ALL or nothing. But the sweet music it made!! I've been fortunate to drive a few Ferrari's and a Countach since then, but will ALWAYS remember being 22 years old...driving a Muira S!!

Love the Gallardo!!

And...GKoenig...GREAT story.

FN in MT

Currently driving a chevy Tahoe

HK51Fan
11-08-09, 15:16
My buddy has the same Lambo (as the yellow one), but it's a baby/light blue no bullshit. I don't know why you would buy a car like that in baby blue, but he did. I'm 6'4" so it's a bit of a squezze for me to fit in. Cool car though.

GKoenig
11-08-09, 23:34
I'm 6'4" so it's a bit of a squezze for me to fit in.

Lamborghini actually began offering a kit in the Diablo days called the "Big Man Package."

It was a thin, carbon fiber seat (with leather and padding, but 2" thinner than the stock seat) with new seat rails and B pillar trim that relocated the belts back a bit. The seat was also 3" lower. The introduction was driven exclusively by the number of NBA players buying Lamborghinis at the time (something like 30% of all Diablos sold in the mid 90s went to NBA players).

Cost: $22,000. Mind you, that did come with free instillation!

Mjolnir
11-08-09, 23:49
That's the successor to the Diablo, it's a Murcielago Roadster.

And Lambo has competed in ALMS. They haven't done it as well or as often as Ferrari, but I think that's part of the reason why you sometimes see people say they are Ferrari fans more-so than Lambo. Wouldn't matter to me either way if someone tossed me the keys lol.

My bad. Typo. I meant Murcielago - which is about to be out of production, btw

Lambo has sucked at international motorsports; no factory backed effort = failure, ultimately. I'm glad GM finally got the message with the Corvette...

Now tha VW-Audi Group owns Audi (R8 Prototypes) and Porsche (911 and Prototypes) I don't see much funding for Lambo to do anything other than what it does: build extremely fast toys for very rich boys. Something, unfortunately, I am not.

Yes, I'd love to drive it but I don't desire to own it. The Gallardo is better in some respects but at the end of the day it would be a Porsche 997 GT3 Club Sport or a 997 GT2 Club Sport if I had the coin to purchase something as extravagant as that. But then I'm into TRACKDAY tools/semi-competition homologation specials.

Mjolnir
11-08-09, 23:52

Mace
Ever autocross or participate in High Performance Driving Events or Driving Schools? They would be a blast in a Gallardo!

Last question: Manual or e-Shift?

Urabus23
11-09-09, 00:00

Lambo has sucked at international motorsports; no factory backed effort = failure, ultimately. I'm glad GM finally got the message with the Corvette...

Now tha VW-Audi Group owns Audi (R8 Prototypes) and Porsche (911 and Prototypes) I don't see much funding for Lambo to do anything other than what it does: build extremely fast toys for very rich boys. Something, unfortunately, I am not.

Yes, I'd love to drive it but I don't desire to own it. The Gallardo is better in some respects but at the end of the day it would be a Porsche 997 GT3 Club Sport or a 997 GT2 Club Sport if I had the coin to purchase something as extravagant as that. But then I'm into TRACKDAY tools/semi-competition homologation specials.

http://www.jloc-net.com/teamjloc/report/2009/img/090402_01.jpg

I think the J-Loc team in Japan gets some factory help, not sure though. They get decent results and go to Le Mans as well.

glockeyed
11-09-09, 09:18
i almost don't care if the Gallardo had 200hp, it IS the sexiest car today. just IMHO :D

JiMfraRED1911
11-09-09, 10:45
Not to be an asshole and hijack this thread, but when it came to Italian supercars, I've always been a Ferrari guy (racing pedigree).

This is something that Lamborghini does NOT have...much of.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/03/22/lamborghini-finally-wins-one-after-11-years-of-racing/

isa268
11-09-09, 14:01
only 90? he wasn't even trying.

i may or may not have gotten a friends Murcielago up to 140mph.

chadbag
11-09-09, 14:02
only 90? he wasn't even trying.

i may or may not have gotten a friends Murcielago up to 140mph.

140 mhp is nothing. I had a Mercedes C class 4 banger (rental) going over 130mph on the Autobahn 10 years ago...

I want to hear stories of 160-200mph ;)

Mjolnir
11-09-09, 14:48
http://www.jloc-net.com/teamjloc/report/2009/img/090402_01.jpg

I think the J-Loc team in Japan gets some factory help, not sure though. They get decent results and go to Le Mans as well.

Japanese Touring Car is a national series. I should have been more specific with INTERNATIONAL Motorsports Competition (meaning Europe, primarily, unfortunately). I've not seen Lamborghini compete for a class win in any series. And to be honest motorsports should be a testing bed for your design layout, aero, braking and to a lesser extent engine development. This is (probably) very true for GT racing - in which the cars are derivatives of road cars. There is none better with respect to competition heritage than Porsche's 911 GT3 and GT2 whose heritage goes back to the 1973 Carrera RS 2.7. Actually, it goes back to 1963/4 with Porsche competing in all manner of Euro sporting events including rally racing.

Ferrari ONCE had a very successful GT racing history and then let it slip with it's primary focus shifting to F1 (which is where Ferrari initally competed anyway) after falling on financial difficulty and being purchased by the Agnelli Family (Fiat SpA). They are now developing the "bambino" 360/430/458 with GT racing and it's doing well. How much is learned and applied to increasing durability is not known (by me).

I drive a 2000 Acura Integra Type R which is a homologation special: stripped of it's sound deadening, balanced engine unique wheel bearings and body panels and stiffeners it's a delight to play with on the road and track/autocross. It's also noisy as Hell and hot. And hard riding. I freaking love it. Everytime I warm it up it's "game on, bro". THAT is what I look for when I lust for machinery. The Lambos don't do that; not to the extent of the Ferraris and Porsche GT cars. Of course, it's difficult to quantify as I believe much - not nearly all - is emotional. Things such as steering and brake feel, while subjective, is very much real and engineered into the vehicle. A racing pedigree can be detected but lets be honest: the Lambo Gallardo is probably a much better ROAD car than a Ferrari 430 Scuderia, Ferrari Enzo or Porsche Carrera GT but I highly doubt it's as accomplished as the 997 GT3 - which I have driven - on public roads.

Tomatoes, tomAHtoes, I suppose.

Mjolnir
11-09-09, 14:52
140 mhp is nothing. I had a Mercedes C class 4 banger (rental) going over 130mph on the Autobahn 10 years ago...

It's the CORNERS, kemosabe; the CORNERS... to be a bit more precise braking, downshifting, initial turn-in, chassis balancing, intial throttle response, chassis balance (again), apex clipping, acceleration/deceleration, drifting to the next. Oh, and the sound of the air induction and exhaust systems. Repeat as required.

The stuff of dreams for some of us hopeless car types.

:cool:

Damn, I'm now thoroughly distracted for the rest of the evening!

rickrock305
11-09-09, 15:10

i've been 175-180 in a Murcielago. craziest part to me about going that fast is how quick cars in front of you come up on you. need good brakes too!

There's a car company that rents out high end cars such as the lambo. I believe there called Gotham Dream Cars.

yea, there's a few companies down in Miami that rent high end cars, yachts, mansions. The most well known one is Carefree.

http://www.carefreelifestyle.com/

Its a couple grand a day for something like a Lambo.

Longhorn
11-09-09, 16:11

Hijack alert :D lol

Oh I'm a huge Corvette Racing fan. I've followed the team(s) since their inceptions and I'll agree the one thing that really helped them dominate was the factory backing.

The downside was there was no "sustained" competition. Oreca came and left with Vipers. Ferrari came, did fantastic in quals but couldn't last the "endurance" of the race. Caused the Vettes to swap to Michelins from Goodyears, then the Corvettes took off. Saleen S7R? lol. Maserati MC-12...again, lol. Aston came, competed and robbed some LeMans 24 wins...but never "really" sustained. The one lasting fixture in GT1 was the C5/6R teams...

Now that they've moved to GT2, I "hate" the fact they still can't use the LS7.R which will cause the demise of the Z06 road car, but I love the fact that there's some REAL competition. Mainly from the Ferrari and Porsche but I'm all for seeing Vette, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Viper, Ford GT, Panoz, BMW M3 etc all in the same class, fighting it out.

Mjolnir
11-09-09, 19:17
Hijack alert :D lol

Oh I'm a huge Corvette Racing fan. I've followed the team(s) since their inceptions and I'll agree the one thing that really helped them dominate was the factory backing.

The downside was there was no "sustained" competition. Oreca came and left with Vipers. Ferrari came, did fantastic in quals but couldn't last the "endurance" of the race. Caused the Vettes to swap to Michelins from Goodyears, then the Corvettes took off. Saleen S7R? lol. Maserati MC-12...again, lol. Aston came, competed and robbed some LeMans 24 wins...but never "really" sustained. The one lasting fixture in GT1 was the C5/6R teams...

Now that they've moved to GT2, I "hate" the fact they still can't use the LS7.R which will cause the demise of the Z06 road car, but I love the fact that there's some REAL competition. Mainly from the Ferrari and Porsche but I'm all for seeing Vette, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Viper, Ford GT, Panoz, BMW M3 etc all in the same class, fighting it out.
Amen on all fronts.

I often 'fantasize about ALL of the manufacturers deciding on 'classes of cars' to manufacture and compete with. For example:

1.8 to 2.2L I-4 Normall Aspirated FWD Class
2.0 to 2.4L I-4 Turbo FWD
2.0 to 2.4L I-4 Turbo AWD

on up to "super cars" with, say:

6.6L Normally Aspirated powerplants any cylinder configuration.

That way they can build the types of cars that some of us "must have"; cars with international competition pedigree.

We could have Corvette 6.0L V8 vs. same displacement Ferrari V12s vs. Porsche V12 vs Aston V12 vs Lamborghini V12. Vehicle layout will determine moments of inertia and cener of gravity, displacemet will determine torque, etc., etc. Sliding "penalties" based upon torque (which is a direct function of displacement) for powerplants that for whatever reason are of larger displacement.

Talk about racing and fan support! We'd all INSTANTLY recognize the body shapes and they could race on Sunday and truly sell on Monday. Imagine that...

Urabus23
11-10-09, 01:26
[QUOTE=Mjolnir;492212]Japanese Touring Car is a national series. I should have been more specific with INTERNATIONAL Motorsports Competition (meaning Europe, primarily, unfortunately). I've not seen Lamborghini compete for a class win in any series. And to be honest motorsports should be a testing bed for your design layout, aero, braking and to a lesser extent engine development. This is (probably) very true for GT racing - in which the cars are derivatives of road cars. There is none better with respect to competition heritage than Porsche's 911 GT3 and GT2 whose heritage goes back to the 1973 Carrera RS 2.7. Actually, it goes back to 1963/4 with Porsche competing in all manner of Euro sporting events including rally racing.

Ferrari ONCE had a very successful GT racing history and then let it slip with it's primary focus shifting to F1 (which is where Ferrari initally competed anyway) after falling on financial difficulty and being purchased by the Agnelli Family (Fiat SpA). They are now developing the "bambino" 360/430/458 with GT racing and it's doing well. How much is learned and applied to increasing durability is not known (by me).

J-Loc go to Le Mans most every year..dont do that well though; Marco Apicella destroyed one a few years ago and ended up in the hospital. I don't think a Lambo has ever achieved much in international racing. From what I understand they're not really the greatest of platforms for pure racing. I wish I could borrow one to find out for myself...

I love GT racing, especially today with GT2 and FIA GT. It's only a matter of time before the series kill itself again and a the cost cutting cycle starts again.

Too bad I'll never be able to buy a Porsche, Ferrari or Aston. Hell, the only way I'll get me a ZR1 is if Obama gives every tax payer one for Christmas.

The WRC is the closest I can get to watching something compete on Sunday and crashing my own car into a tree on Monday. I drive a WRX but wish it was a Spec-C.

JiMfraRED1911
11-10-09, 02:15
Japanese Touring Car is a national series. I should have been more specific with INTERNATIONAL Motorsports Competition (meaning Europe, primarily, unfortunately). I've not seen Lamborghini compete for a class win in any series. And to be honest motorsports should be a testing bed for your design layout, aero, braking and to a lesser extent engine development. This is (probably) very true for GT racing - in which the cars are derivatives of road cars. There is none better with respect to competition heritage than Porsche's 911 GT3 and GT2 whose heritage goes back to the 1973 Carrera RS 2.7. Actually, it goes back to 1963/4 with Porsche competing in all manner of Euro sporting events including rally racing.

I drive a 2000 Acura Integra Type R which is a homologation special: stripped of it's sound deadening, balanced engine unique wheel bearings and body panels and stiffeners it's a delight to play with on the road and track/autocross. It's also noisy as Hell and hot. And hard riding. I freaking love it. Everytime I warm it up it's "game on, bro". THAT is what I look for when I lust for machinery. The Lambos don't do that; not to the extent of the Ferraris and Porsche GT cars. Of course, it's difficult to quantify as I believe much - not nearly all - is emotional. Things such as steering and brake feel, while subjective, is very much real and engineered into the vehicle. A racing pedigree can be detected but lets be honest: the Lambo Gallardo is probably a much better ROAD car than a Ferrari 430 Scuderia, Ferrari Enzo or Porsche Carrera GT but I highly doubt it's as accomplished as the 997 GT3 - which I have driven - on public roads.

Tomatoes, tomAHtoes, I suppose.

You my friend, have keen insight on European motorsport. Fantastic post. High marks for you. Love live FIA Group B and C!!!

MSP "Sarge"
11-10-09, 10:46
Mace nice hot rod!

Mjolnir
11-10-09, 11:57
[QUOTE=Mjolnir;492212]Japanese Touring Car is a national series. I should have been more specific with INTERNATIONAL Motorsports Competition (meaning Europe, primarily, unfortunately). I've not seen Lamborghini compete for a class win in any series. And to be honest motorsports should be a testing bed for your design layout, aero, braking and to a lesser extent engine development. This is (probably) very true for GT racing - in which the cars are derivatives of road cars. There is none better with respect to competition heritage than Porsche's 911 GT3 and GT2 whose heritage goes back to the 1973 Carrera RS 2.7. Actually, it goes back to 1963/4 with Porsche competing in all manner of Euro sporting events including rally racing.

J-Loc go to Le Mans most every year..dont do that well though; Marco Apicella destroyed one a few years ago and ended up in the hospital. I don't think a Lambo has ever achieved much in international racing. From what I understand they're not really the greatest of platforms for pure racing. I wish I could borrow one to find out for myself...

I love GT racing, especially today with GT2 and FIA GT. It's only a matter of time before the series kill itself again and a the cost cutting cycle starts again.

Too bad I'll never be able to buy a Porsche, Ferrari or Aston. Hell, the only way I'll get me a ZR1 is if Obama gives every tax payer one for Christmas.

The WRC is the closest I can get to watching something compete on Sunday and crashing my own car into a tree on Monday. I drive a WRX but wish it was a Spec-C.
Yep. I agree with all you've said.

WRX, eh? NICE car. I'd like to have an STi Spec C or even the last iteration of the Mitsubishi EVO IX RS. Seirious kit, both. And the general public hasn't a clue. I love it.

I think WRC is "where it's at" though we don't get those vehicles here in the 'States. I wish Renault and Peugeot were both durable/reliable and importing their cars here as they both have pocket rockets (emphasis on rocket) that I'd love to drive. The ITR is addictive and not really lacking anything though I'd always accept a bit more power. After driving the EVO IX I must admit I've lusted for one ever since. It's every bit as committed as the ITR with more power.

While I was working at Ford I always whined about the Focus RS and complained that it was not imported. This was a response to those who questioned how is it I could park a bright yellow Acura in the parking lot. They did not understand and probably still don't. The SVT guys - the Focus guys, primarily - understand. Too many drag race devotees were there due to the head of the Dept being one.

While at Ford I was "asked off" of the Ford GT program because when asked in a meeting with Canelli and other managers I suggested that we ditch the supercharged engine and go with a 6.0L or 7.0L V8 such that we could take the car and do the following: (A) set the lap record at the Nurburgring Nordschleife and (B) dominate the GT class at the 24 Hours of LeMans, the 24 Hours of Daytona, the 12 Hours of Sebring and the 24 Hours of Nurburgring all in one season. I was met with TOTAL SILENCE. Some of the older Roush Engineering technicians winked and gave me the thumbs up but no one - and I mean no one - let on that they knew what the Hell I was talking about. Such are/was things in Dearborn, MI.

How's the reliability and maintenance on the Scooby? I'm contemplating obtaining something else.

Mjolnir
11-10-09, 11:58
You my friend, have keen insight on European motorsport. Fantastic post. High marks for you. Love live FIA Group B and C!!!
Thanks, brother. I cannot live without Speed Vision!!

Urabus23
11-10-09, 13:30
[QUOTE=Urabus23;492704]
Yep. I agree with all you've said.

WRX, eh? NICE car. I'd like to have an STi Spec C or even the last iteration of the Mitsubishi EVO IX RS. Seirious kit, both. And the general public hasn't a clue. I love it.

I think WRC is "where it's at" though we don't get those vehicles here in the 'States. I wish Renault and Peugeot were both durable/reliable and importing their cars here as they both have pocket rockets (emphasis on rocket) that I'd love to drive. The ITR is addictive and not really lacking anything though I'd always accept a bit more power. After driving the EVO IX I must admit I've lusted for one ever since. It's every bit as committed as the ITR with more power.

While I was working at Ford I always whined about the Focus RS and complained that it was not imported. This was a response to those who questioned how is it I could park a bright yellow Acura in the parking lot. They did not understand and probably still don't. The SVT guys - the Focus guys, primarily - understand. Too many drag race devotees were there due to the head of the Dept being one.

While at Ford I was "asked off" of the Ford GT program because when asked in a meeting with Canelli and other managers I suggested that we ditch the supercharged engine and go with a 6.0L or 7.0L V8 such that we could take the car and do the following: (A) set the lap record at the Nurburgring Nordschleife and (B) dominate the GT class at the 24 Hours of LeMans, the 24 Hours of Daytona, the 12 Hours of Sebring and the 24 Hours of Nurburgring all in one season. I was met with TOTAL SILENCE. Some of the older Roush Engineering technicians winked and gave me the thumbs up but no one - and I mean no one - let on that they knew what the Hell I was talking about. Such are/was things in Dearborn, MI.

How's the reliability and maintenance on the Scooby? I'm contemplating obtaining something else.

Agree with you on the Focus RS...that would've been a major hit for Ford. Seems like Ford of Europe does a better job than the Home team when it comes to marketing and development. I think Ford didn't want the RS to be faster and cheaper than the Mustang.

During the Laguna Seca ALMS race Speed said that Ford was going to be helping the Robertsons with their GT; I hope that's true because they do a good job on their own against the big boys.

This is my second Suby and both have been pretty reliable. I've had have my WRX for eight years and have never had to take it in for servicing. They only major problem was a cracked radiator just this year and a dead battery a while back. The only PITA is the spark plugs...stupid boxer engine;)

Mjolnir
11-10-09, 19:33
[QUOTE=Mjolnir;492928]

Agree with you on the Focus RS...that would've been a major hit for Ford. Seems like Ford of Europe does a better job than the Home team when it comes to marketing and development. I think Ford didn't want the RS to be faster and cheaper than the Mustang.

During the Laguna Seca ALMS race Speed said that Ford was going to be helping the Robertsons with their GT; I hope that's true because they do a good job on their own against the big boys.

This is my second Suby and both have been pretty reliable. I've had have my WRX for eight years and have never had to take it in for servicing. They only major problem was a cracked radiator just this year and a dead battery a while back. The only PITA is the spark plugs... stupid boxer engine;)

Yes, servicing the engine on the Scoob will be $$ due to the layout. Nice layout all the same, though.

I do believe that Ford NA Marketing doesn't understand the sport compact car cult. I doubt that the RS would be faster in a straight line but throw some curves and the RS would more than hold her own - as we both know. I had my ITR at a Mustang and Windstar autocross (they are in the same Group). And the Mustang guys who most aren't autocrossers were shocked silent at the way I could scamper through pylons far quicker than they could. Never heard anything else about cars from them afterwards. We got a lot more SVT requests for Noise, Vibration and Harshness work though as some of the SVT guys were there. I did have R Compound tires on "Aelf" since we'd just completed a Track Day Event.

Looks like your Subarus have been bulletproof. Cool.

I'm looking at an engine rebuild on "Aelf": 110,000 miles revving hard and consuming (too much now) Mobil 1 0W40. Nice quote but I think I'll undertake it myself. Thinking about a K-Series swap... :cool:

spamsammich
11-10-09, 20:21
Did any of you catch the Murcies that were running ALMS back in '04? I saw them run in Portland and those things made a sound like no other car on the track at the time. They almost sounded like indy cars mated with Tie Fighters. They were the only cars that made me really regret not having ear plugs that day. The crew that ran them were super cool in the paddock, they let me lift one of their magnesium race wheels and the entire damned thing felt about as heavy as a 245/18 tire! Craziness.

Longhorn
11-10-09, 22:21
Did any of you catch the Murcies that were running ALMS back in '04? I saw them run in Portland and those things made a sound like no other car on the track at the time. They almost sounded like indy cars mated with Tie Fighters. They were the only cars that made me really regret not having ear plugs that day. The crew that ran them were super cool in the paddock, they let me lift one of their magnesium race wheels and the entire damned thing felt about as heavy as a 245/18 tire! Craziness.

I own a race used BBS C5R rim and yeah, it is SHOCKING how light those rims really are!

And I love the sound analogy lol.

Urabus23
11-11-09, 03:09
[QUOTE=Urabus23;493010]

Yes, servicing the engine on the Scoob will be $$ due to the layout. Nice layout all the same, though.

I do believe that Ford NA Marketing doesn't understand the sport compact car cult. I doubt that the RS would be faster in a straight line but throw some curves and the RS would more than hold her own - as we both know. I had my ITR at a Mustang and Windstar autocross (they are in the same Group). And the Mustang guys who most aren't autocrossers were shocked silent at the way I could scamper through pylons far quicker than they could. Never heard anything else about cars from them afterwards. We got a lot more SVT requests for Noise, Vibration and Harshness work though as some of the SVT guys were there. I did have R Compound tires on "Aelf" since we'd just completed a Track Day Event.

Looks like your Subarus have been bulletproof. Cool.

I'm looking at an engine rebuild on "Aelf": 110,000 miles revving hard and consuming (too much now) Mobil 1 0W40. Nice quote but I think I'll undertake it myself. Thinking about a K-Series swap... :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GCT2zHKi_0

I kind of like neon green...I bet the police would too.

The Type R is probably the only FWD car that I would ever drive. Too bad Honda didn't bring the Civic Type R to the USA...I've seen a few nice ones when I was in Japan. Is the K series engine the 2.0 from the newer Integras? Your Type R would fly with that thing in there!

I miss race tires...I used to run Hoosiers on my dads camaro but never did get r compounds for my WRX.

I remember the Barbour Lambos...only ran a few races right?

larry0071
11-11-09, 05:46
*Hi-Jack Alert*

I'll see you that Italian sprts car, and raise you one American Muscle Car;

2003 Supercharged SVT "Terminator" Cobra Convertable. No, it's not stock!

Hand built SVT engine with mods that place it at 500+ rear wheel HP and 10.9 Quarter Mile Times. It is also driven to work on nice days, drag races, and runs the road course setting on complete race suspension. But at the end of the day, for a fraction of the cost of that extremely sexy Italian car, I'll beat it in the drags, the road course and anywhere else except the sex appeal! Sex appeal... the Lambo has the Terminator beat hands down! I did run a 2008 Lambo this past summer at the Dragstrip and was able to hand him his lunch. We were both on street radials.

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp174/larry0071/2003%20Mustang%20Terminator%20Convertable/DynoWithBoost.jpg

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp174/larry0071/2003%20Mustang%20Terminator%20Convertable/100_1883.jpg

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp174/larry0071/2003%20Mustang%20Terminator%20Convertable/100_1873.jpg

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp174/larry0071/2003%20Mustang%20Terminator%20Convertable/100_1886.jpg

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp174/larry0071/2003%20Mustang%20Terminator%20Convertable/100_1884.jpg

CobraBG
11-11-09, 13:50
That Lambo driver was not even trying. Running at 90 is nothing. :D

I was waiting to see a Mustang Cobra owner post. :cool: I also have a 2003 Cobra putting out 465 rwhp 469 rwtq with a few simple bolt on mods. When running hard through the gears the 3rd to 4th shift is at about 105 mph and the speedo can be pegged past the 160 mark... I mean that's what I've been told, of course I've never done that myself ;)

The car gets better mileage at 80 to 90 than at 65 to 70. On a late night drive down I-95 from PA to NC I was able to average more than 27 mpg. "But officer I was trying to save gas" HA HA

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj14/10thAnnvCobra/IMG00086.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj14/10thAnnvCobra/IMG00071.jpg

Belmont31R
11-11-09, 14:02
Mustang's are pony cars not muscle cars.....

CobraBG
11-11-09, 14:07
Mustang's are pony cars not muscle cars.....

If you drive an 03/04 supercharged Mustang Cobra you will feel the muscle. :)

Belmont31R
11-11-09, 14:47
If you drive an 03/04 supercharged Mustang Cobra you will feel the muscle. :)

Eh...FWIW I ran a few high end cars in Germany on this bike. Not a one of them could pull ahead....a couple close calls though...:cool:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/Picture20133.jpg

rickrock305
11-11-09, 20:48
The Type R is probably the only FWD car that I would ever drive. Too bad Honda didn't bring the Civic Type R to the USA...I've seen a few nice ones when I was in Japan. Is the K series engine the 2.0 from the newer Integras? Your Type R would fly with that thing in there!

i used to have a civic with a type r motor swap, supercharged and tuned to hell. almost 300 HP, daily driver. i used to love the look on mustang and corvette owners' faces after i dusted them :D

Mjolnir
11-12-09, 11:18
[QUOTE=Mjolnir;493217]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GCT2zHKi_0

I kind of like neon green...I bet the police would too.

The Type R is probably the only FWD car that I would ever drive. Too bad Honda didn't bring the Civic Type R to the USA... I've seen a few nice ones when I was in Japan. Is the K series engine the 2.0 from the newer Integras? Your Type R would fly with that thing in there!

I miss race tires... I used to run Hoosiers on my dads camaro but never did get r compounds for my WRX.

I remember the Barbour Lambos... only ran a few races right?
There are a few other FFWD cars that you'd absolutely adore like the Renault Megane, Focus RS and the Renault Clio RS (I believe). evo and performance car magazine have both stated that the Renault Megane is now the best handing FFWD car ever dethroning the impish ITR.

Honda/Acura should have brought the Type R Civic and RSX over here. I'd have bought one of them - probably the Acura due to the way they coddle you for service and what not.

The K Series is the new 2.0L powerplant. It has no more peak power but it has more torque (and power) throughout the engine operating range. I'm looking for an RSX Type S that has been totalled as we speak. Other option is the Honda CRV block with B16A heads and custom pistons. This is the so-called "Frankenstein" setup. 2.4L 240 bhp and 165 lb-ft of torque - relatively mild. In a 2,550 lb coupe. :D

R compound tires are the shiznits for trackdays and for the week after a trackday in which I, at least, am still geeked with trail braking and other silly, dangerous antics (for public roads). They don't like to do anything when cold and they pick up debris in parking lots. The original spec tires on the car were R-compound. The first set lasted 6,600 miles. The second only 8,000 miles. They would flick pebbles into the fenderwell in parking lots and looked like powdered doughnuts when parked.

I do recall the Barbour Lambs. I don't think they had the resources to do much more than they did. MAYBE, with VW-Audi's deep pockets they can field a successful team. I'd like to see them one up Scuderia Ferrari in the GT class. Of course, beating Porsche from time to time is a good thing as they merely go back and further refine that anachronism called "911".

Mjolnir
11-12-09, 11:22
i used to have a civic with a type r motor swap, supercharged and tuned to hell. almost 300 HP, daily driver. i used to love the look on mustang and corvette owners' faces after i dusted them :D
Nice! Saw a turbocharged B16A Civic Si Tuesday. I know of eight intercooled, turbocharged Integra GSRs and three turbocharged ITRs back in Michigan. There is also three "Frankenstein" motored stripped Civic hatchbacks roaming around and used for Trackday events at Gingerman, Grattan and Waterford Hills yet they are still very driveable. Nicely done, too.

Mustangs don't stand a chance with 250 bhp, 1,800 lb hatchbacks. 300 bhp? Well, that just aint fair!

Gramps
11-13-09, 00:55
FN in MT, That dude didn't happen to live just "S of Zootown" did he? My Step Son had a friend from "S of Zootown" that had a yellow one just like it. He never told me about it until I looked out my front window one day and said, "Who the hell is parked halfway in my drive with a yellow Lamb"? It was a "Party" buddy of his. Dude wasn't feeling to good, cause the Step Son came in asking for some aspirin for Mr Lambs hangover. I hadn't seen it around last summer at all. Thats the only one I've seen around NW MT.

Belmont31R
11-13-09, 01:12
At least the Lambo driver didn't do this...

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID4824/images/logo(87).JPG

http://www.examiner.com/x-4824-Tampa-Sports-Car-Examiner~y2009m11d12-Bugatti-Veyron-wrecked-into-Texas-lake

Irish
11-13-09, 02:17

http://www.examiner.com/x-4824-Tampa-Sports-Car-Examiner~y2009m11d12-Bugatti-Veyron-wrecked-into-Texas-lake

That Bugatti Veyron is ALOT more expensive than the Lambo!

Belmont31R
11-13-09, 02:28
That Bugatti Veyron is ALOT more expensive than the Lambo!

Yeah and proves $$$$ does not equal brains....;)

JBecker 72
11-13-09, 03:34
that sucks about the Veyron, LOVE that car.
Im trying to find a way to afford a newer STi right now.
this is what I would love to own tho......

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/hownowbrowncow_02/porsche-gt3-rsr1.jpg

HK51Fan
11-14-09, 00:02
Eh...FWIW I ran a few high end cars in Germany on this bike. Not a one of them could pull ahead....a couple close calls though...:cool:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/Picture20133.jpg

Gotta love the Gixxers! I've had a couple....Now that I'm single and working again I'm looking to get a Busa by summer.

Mark71
11-14-09, 02:08

Here is a video of the driver taking a bath with his Veyron....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32yyvmlGOdo&feature=player_embedded

keller
11-14-09, 15:50
Looks like that guy drove right into the drink on purpose. Would like to know the story behind that one.

Urabus23
11-14-09, 19:53
Looks like that guy drove right into the drink on purpose. Would like to know the story behind that one.

Saw on the news that the driver blamed his dip on a bird that flew in front of car or something like that. I would've floored it if a bird was dumb enough to get in my way...sounds like he should have spent a few bucks on some track days or autox's.

Longhorn
11-14-09, 22:07
Gotta love the Gixxers! I've had a couple....Now that I'm single and working again I'm looking to get a Busa by summer.

My buddy had an 00/01 (I can't remember the exact year, got it in 04) then was bike-less for a couple seasons, and picked up a black/gray 08.

He said the new bike is night and day difference. The new bike straight up owns the old in just about every category.

He hasn't done much to it since he low sided thanks to some gravel but he's got another toy that's been taking up his time as of late...

http://px5.sfstatic.com/thumbs/0000/29/91/689219.jpg (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Turbo-Lightning-Dyno_689219.htm)Turbo+Lightning+Dyno+Video (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Turbo-Lightning-Dyno_689219.htm)