PDA

View Full Version : Glock 34 vs 17: Pros vs Cons?

SWATcop556
11-07-09, 00:24
I will soon be leaving the Sheriff's Office I work for and moving to a new department a little further north (wife took a new job). I'm currently issued the Glock 31C in .357 sig. Regardless of what some think I haven't had too many issues with this gun and I've personally have upwards of 10k through my duty gun (I love dept purchased ammo :D). I like the way the .357 performs on autoglass and heavy clothing plus I've personally seen two big guys in two OIS go down, hard. I've read a lot of info by Doc Roberts and the .357 and the 9mm +p+ are very close ballistics wise.

The department I'm going to will allow officers to carry their choice of sidearm in 9mm, 40cal, and 45 ACP in Glock, Sig, or S&W platforms. I've always been a huge fan of the 9mm and carry one off-duty daily (G19 or G26). I'm a Glock guy and have been since I started my LEO career, other than a short stint carrying my 1911's as a reserve while finishing college. I like the feel of the M&P but the dept will not allow aftermarket trigger jobs so the M&P is out because I hate the stock trigger.

My question is this, with the 9mm +p+ ammo these days (I would be carrying the GoldDot 124 grn +p+) you are very close to the ballistic performance of the .357 sig minus some velocity. I'm wondering how much the extra barrel length of the G34 would affect this and would it be worth carrying a G34 over one of my G17's. Would I be gaining anything over the 17 with the 34?

I've shot a G34 on many occassions and I really like them, just haven't picked one up. I'd be running it with a X300 attached as a duty gun. I have plenty of others for off-duty and concealed carry so I'm good there.

For those that know, what are the pros and cons of the G34 vs the G17? Not a pissing match but genuine feedback with first hand knowledge. Also if Doc wants to weigh in with some ballistic info with pros and cons, I'm all for it.

oef24
11-07-09, 02:34
Personally, if I had to pick between the two, I would go with the 34. You should be able to get better accuracy with a longer sight radius. The 34 is almost 1" longer which equals almost 20% increase in sight radius. You will also get a little bit more performance out of the ammo but I think the sight radius makes a bigger difference. From what you wrote in your post, it would be your duty sidearm. The longer 34 will chance your draw a bit to clear your holster but it shouldn't be an issue with your duty rig. If you were going to carry IWB high and tight, it might make a difference and a 19 or 26 would clear the holster easier. Good luck with your decision, stay safe and God Bless.

O

Vanilla Gorilla
11-07-09, 07:00
I would go with the 34, but not for the reason you cite. The extra inch of barrel is really going to have a negligible effect on terminal performance. I doubt you'd ever notice that at all.

However, I prefer the 34 also due to the longer sight radius, but more importantly, the change of balance. It feels closer to the frontheavy 1911s I love and am used to. I like having more weight out on the front of the gun, and it feels more natural to me that way.

tkoglman
11-07-09, 07:30
I like the G34 mainly for two reasons.

1) Longer sight radius means at least the possibility of greater accuracy.

2) The barrel extends past the lens of a rail mounted light keeping the lens clean. I've fired 1000's through my G34 with the light mounted and the lens is not dirty at all. My buddy's G21 darkened his lens to the point of completely blacking it out after about 300 rounds.

P.S. If your new PD doesn't allow any trigger work, the G34 comes with a better stock trigger than the G17.

JHC
11-07-09, 08:23
I've shot and carried concealed both and found the accuracy advantage of the 34 to be small and only manifested at longer ranges. The 34 has proved itself in competion so that shootability advantage is undeniable. I ended up selling the 34 to convert it to a 2nd G17 because the advantage was slight and I preferred the handling qualities of the 17 in faster drills to be more to my liking and concealed carry much easier.

While there is some truth to the conventional wisdom that longer barreled models conceal well IWB - appendix carry was nowhere near as comfortable with the 34 and even hip IWB was awkward for my build ( i prefer "lean" to "skinny") and would poke into chair seats. This is probably not applicable to your duty carry scenario.
Then again I also have a 17L so I didn't keep the 34.

SethB
11-07-09, 08:26
I usually shoot a 19, but when I shoot the 34 I feel like I'm cheating. It is easier to get hits with, and tracks a lot more smoothly.

Todd.K
11-07-09, 10:33
Not as many holsters for the 34. Make sure you can get the holster you want for a 34+light.

Business_Casual
11-07-09, 10:43
I wouldn't want the open slide and attendant issues with debris entering the slide.

M_P

TroyTK
11-07-09, 14:51
Don't forget sitting in the patrol car. For me, the extra length of the 34 digging into the seat made it a bit uncomfortable. That, and the lack of a Safariland ALS holster with a light, were the primary reasons I stuck with the Glock 17.

SWATcop556
11-07-09, 18:32
I wouldn't want the open slide and attendant issues with debris entering the slide.

M_P

I agree. I have been carrying a 31C for several years now so I'm not as worried about it but the opening on the 34 is significantly bigger than the C models.

SWATcop556
11-07-09, 18:34
Not as many holsters for the 34. Make sure you can get the holster you want for a 34+light.

This is probably going to be the biggest deciding factor. I've carried the 6280/6004 for years. I just recently began training with the ALS series and like it, but not enough trigger time to carry it full time yet.

Shadow1198
11-07-09, 19:42
The 34 does have the factory extended slide release and mag release, plus the 3.5# disconnector which gives it a slightly nicer trigger pull from what I remember. Worth considering if the department won't allow any mods.

Hey SWATcop, how has your experience with the ALS been so far? Have you found any issues yet, or does it seem to be a pretty rock solid retention design? I have no personal need for a retention holster, though the ALS seemed like an interesting retention design and probably a bit more sturdy than some of the others out there (serpa). I like the fact that the release mechanism is between you and the holster, so it's protected as opposed to some like the serpa and Bianchi carrylok that could easily be released if grappling with someone on the ground or something.

maximus83
11-07-09, 20:24
I tried a rental 34 and they are one of the few models in the Glock line-up that are appealing to me. The trigger is better, and they handle recoil and follow-up shots better, plus of course the longer sight radius.

But ultimately, I ended up still liking the M&P Pro series 9mm (with the 5" slide and Perf Center sear) better. I like the trigger better, and the M&P handles recoil and balances so nicely that, for me at least, it was a clear choice.

SWATcop556
11-08-09, 02:28
Hey SWATcop, how has your experience with the ALS been so far? Have you found any issues yet, or does it seem to be a pretty rock solid retention design? I have no personal need for a retention holster, though the ALS seemed like an interesting retention design and probably a bit more sturdy than some of the others out there (serpa). I like the fact that the release mechanism is between you and the holster, so it's protected as opposed to some like the serpa and Bianchi carrylok that could easily be released if grappling with someone on the ground or something.

I like it and I'll probably go to it once I have some more time with it. We were issued them in drop-leg configuration for our team and a lot of the guys like them. I'm still running a 6004 just because I want to hit a few training classes before I'm running one full time. Same for regular patrol work.

The only issue I've seen is that small gravel being introduced into an empty holster can jam the locking system, though it is a rare occurence. The pistol can be reholstered, but your ****ed after that and you can't get the ALS to disengage and release the pistol. You have to disassemble the whole mechanism to free the pistol. Again very very rare but just something to think about it.

My personal take is that the added retention is worth the possible risk of a gravel cluster ****.

SWATcop556
11-08-09, 02:31
But ultimately, I ended up still liking the M&P Pro series 9mm (with the 5" slide and Perf Center sear) better. I like the trigger better, and the M&P handles recoil and balances so nicely that, for me at least, it was a clear choice.

How much better is the M&P trigger with the different sear? I T&E'd a M&P for my dept and loved everything about it except the trigger, which to be nice was horrible. I could only feel it reset if I was shooting controled single shots for accuracy. I tried several drills and short-stroked the trigger many times. Its something that I could overcome, but I will trade ergonomics for a better trigger, thus my decision to stick with the Glock.

tpd223
11-08-09, 06:12
For some of the reasons stated above, including availability of the ALS holster (I've been carrying one for just over a year and I am sold that this is THE uniform duty rig), I'd go with the G17.

I have every Glock 9mm made except for the G17L, I don't really notice a difference between the 17 and 34 (of course YMMV and all).

The 124gr +P Gold Dot, and the 124gr +P/127gr +P+ Ranger-T rounds are top notch. There isn't a bad guy anywhere that would be able to tell the difference between those loads launched from either gun.

The various tac lights stick out past the muzzle of the G17, and do not from the G34. I know folks who want the longer gun because of this, but I like that the light on a G17 can be used as a stand-off if a contact shot needs to be made.

HK45
11-08-09, 13:41
+1

I always like a longer sight radius myself and the G34/35 do feel more balanced than their shorter counterparts.

However, I prefer the 34 also due to the longer sight radius, but more importantly, the change of balance. It feels closer to the frontheavy 1911s I love and am used to. I like having more weight out on the front of the gun, and it feels more natural to me that way.

canucksvt
11-08-09, 21:36
[QUOTE=maximus83;491753]I know that Massad Ayoob is not everybody's favorite gun writer, but he has a pretty detailed review of the M&P Pro 9 here (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_9_54/ai_n27963840/), may be an interesting read.

From the article: The release is much crisper than the rather mushy trigger break of the duty M&Ps I shot when these guns first came out, and the same is true of the reset. Both release and reset are crisp enough to satisfy this long-time competitive pistol shooter. Dry fire it from the box when you examine it in your favorite gun shop--it won't hurt the pistol in any way--and you'll see what I mean.

I would caution against excessive dry firing. I only dry fire with a snap cap in place now as I did break the firing pin in my M&P45. S&W was great about sending me another one out in record time with no cost to me, but it did surprise me when it broke. With that said, I do love my M&P and am debating whether or not to have the PC sear installed by S&W or to have David Bowie do a trigger job on it.

maximus83
11-08-09, 22:24
I would caution against excessive dry firing. I only dry fire with a snap cap in place now as I did break the firing pin in my M&P45. S&W was great about sending me another one out in record time with no cost to me, but it did surprise me when it broke. With that said, I do love my M&P and am debating whether or not to have the PC sear installed by S&W or to have David Bowie do a trigger job on it.

Good point. Absolutely, I've had broken strikers with the early models before they improved the striker assemblies, and even though the assemblies are supposedly more robust now, I always use snap caps when dry firing.

JSGlock34
11-08-09, 22:43
Like several of the previous posters, I prefer the longer sight radius, better trigger and balance of the 34. I just find it easier to get good hits with. It is big, but I think the difference with the G17 is minor. When I want to conceal, I carry a G19.

The extended controls (magazine release and slide release) aren't selling points for me. I found both too easily to inadvertently activate. I prefer the stock Glock parts or the Vickers magazine release.

THellURider
11-09-09, 06:18
Don't have anything to add that hasn't been said yet but...

I have a unused tan Bladetech holster for my G34 + X200/300 that I'd be interested in selling. The use I had intended it for never materialized.

Send me an email if you're interested.

jmart
11-09-09, 08:23
I will soon be leaving the Sheriff's Office I work for and moving to a new department a little further north (wife took a new job)....

The department I'm going to will allow officers to carry their choice of sidearm in 9mm, 40cal, and 45 ACP in Glock, Sig, or S&W platforms.

If you go with the G34, will the department allow you to keep the stock 3.5lb connector or would they make you swap it out for the standard 5.5lb Glock connector? The trigger is a selling point for the 34, but only if you're allowed to keep it.

SWATcop556
11-09-09, 14:12
If you go with the G34, will the department allow you to keep the stock 3.5lb connector or would they make you swap it out for the standard 5.5lb Glock connector? The trigger is a selling point for the 34, but only if you're allowed to keep it.

I would be allowed to keep because it is "stock" for that model even though it differs from a standard Glock.

A lot of the guys are running the 34 because it has the pros of carrying the 9mm with a similar performance of the .357 in auto glass.

All of that being said I'm leaning towards the 17 and running my X300. That setup just feels "right" for me after years of carrying the standard size Glock.

I'm still getting some trigger time on the 34 before the final decision is made. I don't have to choose until January.

Thanks for all of the input so far. Keep it coming.

DaveC
11-09-09, 14:19
I have seen the LEO guns come both ways, some have had the 3.5lb and others have had the 5.5lb connector. My 35 (blue label LEO)came with the 5.5lb, fixed sights etc.

Paul45
11-09-09, 21:21
I have both and have shot both extensively. I prefer the G17 for fast first shot and quicker target pickup but the g34 is slightly better for longer shots - easier to focus on small targets. If I had to chose one, it would be the G17. By the way, I have 2 G17's - one is the new RTF - I have 12 Glocks and the g17's are the fastest on target and the easiest to shoot well. But I favor the G30 for carry.

ROCKET20_GINSU
11-10-09, 04:56
My favorite glock is my 34, its my prod / ssp gun and has grip tape, a 2 lb vanek trigger (awesome!) and Fiber optic front sight. But If I was looking for a duty gun I think that the 17 is a "marginally" better choice.

Better holster availability, both for duty and ccw (if you decide to ccw your duty gun)
the X300 will act as a standoff device lower the chances of the gun being pushed out of battery at contact range.
I like the stock G17 trigger vs. the lighter 3.5 disconnector on the G34 for duty/carry (just a little extra insurance that doesn't hurt much except make the long shots a little more difficult)

*For almost any application (save doing PT in a mud pit) I don't worry about debris entering the slide of a G34

I love the G34 but personally I think the G17 is just a "tad" bit better for duty use. But like so many others on this forum I think its hard to go wrong with a 9mm glock so absolutely go with what you are comfortable with.

GU

shooter521
11-10-09, 08:31
This is probably going to be the biggest deciding factor. I've carried the 6280/6004 for years. I just recently began training with the ALS series and like it, but not enough trigger time to carry it full time yet.

FWIW, Safariland recently introduced several models of ALS holster (with and without the SLS hood) for the G34/light combo. Part number is 6832 for the models 6360/65, 6304/05, 6354/55 and 6320/25. I have a 6320 for my G34+M3 combo and like it quite a bit; it also works with my G17 with extended/threaded barrel.

Dan Goodwin
11-10-09, 08:50
As a LEO who just hit 50, I can tell you that my G35 is the only arrow (handgun type) in my quiver that still lets me focus on its front sight.

It is also ridiculously accurate. When I flinch just right it shoots into less than an inch at 25 yards from a rest. Keeping entire mag in the 5 point ring of a B27 @ 100 yards offhand is not too hard.

I haven't carried it much off duty lately, but this thread has me nostalgic.