PDA

View Full Version : Any idea who makes this gas block?

panzerr
11-07-09, 09:54
I've been searching...but can't find this anywhere. Bueler? Bueler?

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z152/eternal24k/007-1.jpg?t=1247678509

Todd.K
11-07-09, 10:11
Vltor

panzerr
11-07-09, 10:15
got it, thanks...the 'Vltor Sight Tower'...explains why I couldn't find it.

http://www.vltor.com/vst.htm

Kentucky Cop
11-07-09, 17:03
I am not up on the gas blocks, but would that work for a Colt 6940. I guess what I am saying is would the VLTOR gas block sight replace the horrid 6940 front flip up sight? I just sold my 6940 because of the sights and then I see this. Expensive but it gives you options I guess.
Ky cop

whiterabbit05
11-07-09, 18:12
My educated guess would be yes since most AR parts are interchangeable.

Belmont31R
11-07-09, 18:27
I am not up on the gas blocks, but would that work for a Colt 6940. I guess what I am saying is would the VLTOR gas block sight replace the horrid 6940 front flip up sight? I just sold my 6940 because of the sights and then I see this. Expensive but it gives you options I guess.
Ky cop

I would take a look at the KAC flip up front sight gas block.

I had one, and its a very robust and well made unit. The Vltor is held on with screws and is not pinned. The KAC would be pinned to your barrel. Not sure on the Vltor but the KAC also can be locked in the down and up position.

Kentucky Cop
11-07-09, 20:43

I had one, and its a very robust and well made unit. The Vltor is held on with screws and is not pinned. The KAC would be pinned to your barrel. Not sure on the Vltor but the KAC also can be locked in the down and up position.

Was it the SR-25? That was the only one I could find on their site. It listed at $200 and in the small print stated that I would have to buy an additional part for it to attach to or something. All said and done I think it would be the same price. Again, I have no knowledge about gas blocks/sights. However, the VLTOR unit looks like the total package and appears to to give the rail an additional inch of rail space. I am so pissed that I didn't dig into this more before letting my 6940 go. Loved the rifle but just couldn't get passed the damn sights. I really didn't think that I could replace the sights without going broke. $225 ish for the front sight/gas block and no telling on the rear. That can get pricey in a hurry unless they have a "combo" deal! lol..
Ky cop

bluedog
11-07-09, 22:01

This is a big question mark in my mind, as I am considering a VLTOR gas block. Military Morons did a torque test with a VLTOR VST, which was torqued, loctited, and staked. The results were damage to the receiver and the bbl., with the VST staying put.

2/3s down:
http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.optics2.html#mrds

The VLTOR gas block I'm looking at has set screws not clamp screws, which might seem less secure, but some places can also pin it as well.

Kentucky Cop
11-07-09, 22:23
Bluedog, what kind of rifle are you slapping it on. I am curious to see the application you are wanting. $225 plus who knows how much a smith would charge to put it on gets sporty in my mind. As said earlier, I wish I checked into this before I cut my 6940 loose. I am getting a M&P15T for less than what I paid for the colt and it is set up the way I like. I still think about buying my Colt back and doing the gas block on it....(sigh, followed up with deep breaths)!

bluedog
11-08-09, 11:02
Bluedog, what kind of rifle are you slapping it on. I am curious to see the application you are wanting. $225 plus who knows how much a smith would charge to put it on gets sporty in my mind. As said earlier, I wish I checked into this before I cut my 6940 loose. I am getting a M&P15T for less than what I paid for the colt and it is set up the way I like. I still think about buying my Colt back and doing the gas block on it....(sigh, followed up with deep breaths)!

Sorry I was speaking partly off topic as I am considering a plain gas block, on an 11" railed middy. Should probably start another thread on that. The article on Military Morons indicates that the VLTOR VST (gas block/folding front sight) needs only to be torqued, high-temp loctited, and the screws staked.

grunz
11-08-09, 13:11
Vltor has a new design, can be pinned or not pinned. Can come with QD sling swivel or not.

militarymoron
11-08-09, 13:42
The article on Military Morons indicates that the VLTOR VST (gas block/folding front sight) needs only to be torqued, high-temp loctited, and the screws staked.

as grunz pointed out in the photo, the new versions of the VST can be had in clamp and pinned variations. i guess i need to put them up on my site.

added to site: http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.optics2.html#vst2

eternal24k
11-08-09, 14:14
Well, since that is a pic of my rifle, I will chime in.
I got that gas-block on trade, so I avoided MSRP, it is solid as a rock, BUT I have 1 gripe wit it, the AK front sight post... I like AR posts, I find the AK post is too fat, decent for CQB and combat, but I really like smaller posts, i am currently looking for a replacement.
As mentioned, it is solid as all hell, wish it had a bayo, but that is just because of the evil factor.

Kentucky Cop
11-08-09, 15:40
Too rich for my blood! $225 for a gas block sight. Plus a smith to put the damn thing on....whoa! Anyways, that is one sa-weet rifle. I love the looks and it appears to be a solid set up.
Ky Cop