PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Find...

apb2772
11-08-09, 01:15
So I usually do not post often, but I came across something today that has me a little ticked off.

Today I got to spend a couple of hours with my "Little" brother getting him used to his new S&W 642 with laser grips. When we arrived at the local shooting hole we drove in to find a huge mess there was everything from multiple broken toilets to shot up TV's from the 70's. This stuff for sure was left by some real turds.

But.

What really got my attention was the pair of NEW matching drivers side and passengers side Ballistic Windshield inserts for an up armored HMMV propped up and shot to hell.

I say that they WERE new because the UV Stable Polycarbonate sheets (inside surface) of the inserts did not exhibit even the slightest off color tint - OR any "Swirl" marks/fine scratches that come from standard cleaning by hand. The high density urethane that bonds the laminated sheets into the frame was in excellent shape also with zero signs of deterioration. ( I've worked with glass for a # of years and constructed similar barriers for banks an PD's).

The thieves even left the SN#s to the inserts intact AND left the unit/vehicle ID written on the tape STILL stuck to the glass.

I just returned from taking a handful of pictures and I am wondering which specific group/division/agency (not the local dimwits) I should contact to get someone out here in my neck of the woods to check them out. To best of my understanding any and all parts like these are supposed to be either shipped off for depot level re-work or DRMO'd as they any Up Armored components are supposedly deemed "Sensitive" or restrictive.

Any help would be great,

--->APB

Belmont31R
11-08-09, 01:36
So I usually do not post often, but I came across something today that has me a little ticked off.

Today I got to spend a couple of hours with my "Little" brother getting him used to his new S&W 642 with laser grips. When we arrived at the local shooting hole we drove in to find a huge mess there was everything from multiple broken toilets to shot up TV's from the 70's. This stuff for sure was left by some real turds.

But.

What really got my attention was the pair of NEW matching drivers side and passengers side Ballistic Windshield inserts for an up armored HMMV propped up and shot to hell.

I say that they WERE new because the UV Stable Polycarbonate sheets (inside surface) of the inserts did not exhibit even the slightest off color tint - OR any "Swirl" marks/fine scratches that come from standard cleaning by hand. The high density urethane that bonds the laminated sheets into the frame was in excellent shape also with zero signs of deterioration. ( I've worked with glass for a # of years and constructed similar barriers for banks an PD's).

The thieves even left the SN#s to the inserts intact AND left the unit/vehicle ID written on the tape STILL stuck to the glass.

I just returned from taking a handful of pictures and I am wondering which specific group/division/agency (not the local dimwits) I should contact to get someone out here in my neck of the woods to check them out. To best of my understanding any and all parts like these are supposed to be either shipped off for depot level re-work or DRMO'd as they any Up Armored components are supposedly deemed "Sensitive" or restrictive.

Any help would be great,

--->APB

Whats the largest mil base to you?

CID (Army) http://www.cid.army.mil/reportacrime.html

NCIS (Navy and Marines) ncistipline@ncis.navy.mil <ncistipline@ncis.navy.mil>

DHS: 202-282-8000

FBI: https://tips.fbi.gov/ http://www.fbi.gov/contact/fo/fo.htm

ZDL
11-08-09, 03:52

Selftest
11-08-09, 06:59
ZDL, why that particular emoticon?

I understand the OPs point. Depending on where he lives, his local PD/.Mil reserve personnel (I'm assuming that is who the OP is referring to) he may not want to call that particular dept. with this information. All LEO/Military are NOT created equally. I wouldn't trust some of the podunk Cops in my area to secure anything other than the local Cruzin' Coffee (trying to avoid the doughnut shop stereotype, here >:) ) let alone possible sensitive material. If I misread your post, I am sorry. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Assuming the items in question were stolen from a loocal Military base, should you not report it to them? I have no idea what procedure there is for such an event, but I'm guessing there is SOME kind of "inventory control," or at least a "Hey, our windshield is missing from that HMMV."

apb2772
11-08-09, 12:00
Thanks Belmont31R, I was trying to look up the CID # But was Told by the boss (Wife) to come to bed.

ZDL, Far be it from me to "Cop Bash". But my itsy bitsy small town police force is about on par with a medium sized city's local mall cops... I once observed somebody working on a Meth lab around the outskirts of town out in the country( I located by it's foul odor) and it took them FIVE DAYS to send someone out to even take a cursory look. By the time they arrived where I had reported all they found was the toxic leftovers of the site as the Dopers had since moved. I could go on for quite some time but I won't. Suffice to say they do an amicable job of catching people 3mph over the limit in my .8 mile long town, but the competence ends there.

Thanks all,

--->APB