PDA

View Full Version : What kind of accuracy from M&P15?

mhanna91
11-08-09, 16:03
Just wondering what kind of accuracy you guyss are getting out of your M&P15s. I shot mine for the first time today. I tried to dial my irons in but could not seem to get any sort of consistant grouping that could tell me what kind of adjustments to make. I was using PMC 55 gr. fmjs. Maybe I'm just a bad shot, but I think its got something to do with the trigger. Its a pretty tough pull in my opinion, and there is not really a take-up to it. it's more like application pressure until the shot breaks. kinda wierd to me. I had a DPMS M4 before and i think I shot better with that one. Okay, so any advice on a cost effective 2 stage trigger?

ztf HITMAN
11-08-09, 17:36
with a Barska RDS, I get about 3/4" at 50yds...Consistently. Irons, about 1". I could be a better shooter though.

Mac5.56
11-08-09, 19:49
Mine shoots incredibly well with Irons. To the point of actually having trained shooters line up behind me to use it at our recent annual 4th of July shoot, and having my father's jaw drop the first time he fired a group.

I think you need practice.

mhanna91
11-08-09, 20:11
Yes I know I need practice. I just wish I could afford it.

uwe1
11-08-09, 23:57
I get about 3-4 inch groupings with 10 shots at 100 yards with PMC Bronze 55 gr. FMJBT. It depends on the number of fliers. These groups are done with a EOTech 512 with a Mako 5x magnifier. At 50 yards with the same set up I get 1 inch groups.

Weird thing is, with my rifle zeroed to this round, then switching to 55 gr. Remington (green and white box) the POI drifts nearly 4 inches to the right and the groups open up to between 4-5 inches. This drives me crazy as I have an amply supply of both types of ammo and have to really be careful of which one I'm using.

fdxpilot
11-09-09, 00:05
I get about 3-4 inch groupings with 10 shots at 100 yards with PMC Bronze 55 gr. FMJBT. It depends on the number of fliers. These groups are done with a EOTech 512 with a Mako 5x magnifier. At 50 yards with the same set up I get 1 inch groups.

Weird thing is, with my rifle zeroed to this round, then switching to 55 gr. Remington (green and white box) the POI drifts nearly 4 inches to the right and the groups open up to between 4-5 inches. This drives me crazy as I have an amply supply of both types of ammo and have to really be careful of which one I'm using.

Neither round is known for accuracy, but for low cost. Rem UMC (white and green box) in particular is well known for inconsistent, poor quality.

91Bravo
11-09-09, 09:38
I tested a variety of different ammo through my M&P 15 and found Hornady 55gr TAP to be the best for accuracy. Zeroed at 50yds, with my old eyes and shakey hands I can hit a 3/4" group at 50 dead center. 1.5 inch at 100 but it hits about 4" high. At 200 Hornady 55gr hits a bit high with all shots in the 8" target and at 300 I have to aim 8" high to hit an 8" target at all. That's with an Aimpoint 2 moa red dot. The Magpul irons on my MOE are onlly accurate out to 100yards. At least this is true with my old eyes.

I hope this helps you.

C4IGrant
11-09-09, 09:41
Just wondering what kind of accuracy you guyss are getting out of your M&P15s. I shot mine for the first time today. I tried to dial my irons in but could not seem to get any sort of consistant grouping that could tell me what kind of adjustments to make. I was using PMC 55 gr. fmjs. Maybe I'm just a bad shot, but I think its got something to do with the trigger. Its a pretty tough pull in my opinion, and there is not really a take-up to it. it's more like application pressure until the shot breaks. kinda wierd to me. I had a DPMS M4 before and i think I shot better with that one. Okay, so any advice on a cost effective 2 stage trigger?

PMC ammo sucks so don't use that that ammo when checking accuracy.

There are several things that affect accuracy:

1. Quality optic
2. Quality trigger
3. Quality ammo
4. Quality barrel
5. Quality shooter

Shooting irons with a 10lbs GI trigger using cheap ammo really isn't going to show you anything IMHO.

C4

kmrtnsn
11-09-09, 10:32
http://www.box.net/shared/static/q0exdhr518.jpg

Failure2Stop
11-09-09, 12:38
This is probably my favorite description of accuracy/precision I have ever read, by USMC03, one of the long-standing moderators here:

The following is what I wrote on another site when I was asked how the accuracy was of the BCM gun compared to another brand:

Guys always ask me about accuracy......In short, my answer is: With AR's, I NEVER measure group size. I know from years of shooting what my group size should look like at a given distance with a given optic (ie. I know my group with iron sights is much larger than my groups with a Leupold MR/T on 5x at that same distance.....but I have shot enough that I know approximatley what my group should look like considering the distance, type of optic, type of ammo, etc.).

For accuracy or group size to mean anything or for the evaluation to be "apples to apples" comparison you need to shoot the both mid-length barrels side by side on the same day one right after the other.

BOTH guns need to be

-in the exact same configuration (stocks, triggers, handguards / railed forends, etc), using the same optic (at least 10x),

-the same ammo from the same lot, a couple different ammo loadings (because different barrels like different bullets),

-the same targets,

-the same lighting conditions, etc, etc, etc.

All of the things listed above can have an effect on accuracy testing (ammo, temp, lighting conditions, rifle configuration, different optics, etc, etc, etc)

I always see guys on the internet saying my "Brand X" AR15 is so much more accurate than my "Brand Z" AR15. I doubt that 99% of these guys have done an "apples to apples" comparison between two different brands.

For *me* trying to do accuracy testing with anything less than a 10x optic is a waste of time and I would prefer to have something around 16x if possible.

In order to get nice little groups you need to ensure that you are on the exact aiming point everytime. And the only way I can do that is with a 10x (or more) optic.

*For me*, if I can hit the small steel IPSC type targets consistanly out to 425 yards with an ACOG or MR/T 1.5-5x or simular scope, the barrel is more than accurate enough *for me* and the type of shooting that I do.

The Steel IPSC targets I'm refering to are about 18" - 24" top to bottom and 10" - 12" at the shoulders. Basically it's a scaled down IPSC or IDPA target...you know the cardboard targets you shoot at IDPA or IPSC matches...also a lot of instructors use them for classes (cardbaord colored on one side and white on the other).

Here's something that makes me laugh about accuracy discussions on the internet:

For the last few years, I often use a 1/9" twist RRA 16" mid-length barrel (4140 steel / chromed lined) for my run and gun rifle matches...just a factory mid-length barrel that has been lightended almost to govt' profile under the handguards. The carbine has a LaRue 9.0 and 3.5x TA11 ACOG on it.

I have seen more than a couple guys arguing about accuracy on the internet, then I have seen those same guys come to the run and gun rifle matches (targets from contact distance out to 425 yards, smaller than normal targets) and can't hit the broad side of a barn. These individuals end up with a score of less than 10% and never come back to another match. I've seen it happen a couple times with my own eyes.

The last match I shot with Stag Arms carbine with the RRA mid-lenth 1/9" 4140 steel / chrome lined barrel (July's match, just before I had shoulder surgery), I came in 2nd place with a score of 80% and I was using 2004 vintage XM193 ammo. Pics of the match and the gun I use can be seen in this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=2475 (the Stag Arms gun with the FDE furniture and RRA mid-length barrel in it's newest configuration with the Magpul UBR is on page 3 ...... older pics of the same gun from a couple years ago can be seen on page 1)

Pics of targets down range can be seen in the thread below. Keep in mind that the targets on this stage are at a distance of 175 to 425 yards, there are large and small IPSC steel targets, skinny steel popper type targets, the small LaRue target, etc. *Keep in mind when looking at the pics of the targets that the pics were taken with a zoom lense*. Each target (usally 7 - 9 different targets) have to be engaged from each firing position (usually 6 - 8 different positions)....and each shooting position requires something different (ie. sometimes shooting through a port on the ground, sometimes shooting from the right or left side of the barricade, sometimes shooting over the top, etc).....you can see in the pics what I'm refering to in reference to shooting position:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=15738&highlight=TA11

I guess my point is, you can have the most accurate barrel in the world and it doesn't mean anything if the shooter is unable to use the barrel to it's full potential. And in that same breath, everyone on the internet will tell you that 1/9" 4140 steel barrels are junk and you can't hit the broad side of barn with them. Remember the old saying about "It's the singer, not the song"

To be honest, my RRA barrel that I've used in a bunch of different matches over the years (see pics in the links above) is probably more accurate than me.....especially when you consider I'm only using a 3.5x ACOG.

So in short, when guys ask me about accuracy of two different guns I don't like to answer unless I can give an "apples to apples" comparision and I NEVER go out and shoot for measured groups .........I guess my use for the AR platform is geared toward "practical accuracy", and I don't have a single AR that isn't able to hit the targets above at 425 yards with XM193 / Q3131A / Black Hills Blue Box 55 grain or simular ammo.

To anwer your question about accuracy between the Xxxxxx barrel and the Xxxxxx barrel ...... I don't think you, me, or a majority of shooters are going to be able to tell a difference in accuracy between the two barrels.

S/F,
Jeff

Now, that being said- 10 shot groups under controlled conditions, from a bench, with decent ammo, and a decent trigger puller, I would expect 2 to 3 MOA at 100 yards. You might get better, you might get worse, but not by much.