PDA

View Full Version : M&P Night Sights: Factory vs. Aftermarket

rjacobs
11-09-09, 00:16
I just sold my XD40SC to be able to pick up an MP9C to go along with my MP9 and kind of condense guns and move to a common caliber and platform. My local LEO dealer has the MP9C in stock with the standard sights while the model with the factory night sights is on back order with no ETA. The price difference is about 65 bucks or so. This will be my primary CCW gun, so NS are a must IMO.

Should I order one with the night sights from the factory?
Should I pick up the standard sight model and order some aftermarket night sights?
If option 2, what night sights would you all recommend. I have used Trijicon's in the past and I believe that is what is on the guns from the factory, but I know there are lots of others out there people like.

Or should I just say screw the MP9C and just CCW my MP9FS in the Raven Phantom I am going to order in the morning(once I hear back from malabarfront) and use the money saved to buy 2 cases of ammo and some NS for the MP9FS?

To many damn decisions.

Tennvol12345
11-09-09, 12:04
I purchased a 9C and a 45C that were both LE models and were equipped with the factory Trijicon sights. I took off the rear one and mounted 10-8 sights with the U notches. To me they offer faster sight alignment and less confusion than the 3 dots.

nickdrak
11-09-09, 12:27
Whichever route you take, I recommend the Heinie "Straight Eight"/Ledge tritium sights for the M&P.

I think the FS M&P9 is a nice size carry pistol. For IWB carry, the Comp-Tac Minotaur is the most comfortable I have found. For a OWB belt holster I would go with the Raven/Phantom.

rjacobs
11-09-09, 12:34
I have heard good things about the Straight 8's.

That is my dilemma. If I am going to buy aftermarket NS anyways, I may just get the cheaper pistol to begin with.

But at the same time, I could just get NS for my MP9FS and just carry that. I dont think its to big, especially with the Raven system everybody raves about.

spamsammich
11-09-09, 13:04
I have a FS with the stock night sights and I sometimes think that they are a little busy for rapid acquisition. For slower rates of fire or for teaching beginners they work really well. I can see the value in having something REALLY easy to align like straight 8s.

jdavis6576
11-09-09, 15:20
I have three M&Ps of various flavors and all have Warren Tactical Two-Dot sights, you may want to check them out as well.

rjacobs
11-09-09, 15:37
I have three M&Ps of various flavors and all have Warren Tactical Two-Dot sights, you may want to check them out as well.

Are they similar to the straight 8's?

It seems the general consensus is to skip the factory night sights and go with something aftermarket that is better.

RogerinTPA
11-09-09, 19:51
Whichever route you take, I recommend the Heinie "Straight Eight"/Ledge tritium sights for the M&P.

I think the FS M&P9 is a nice size carry pistol. For IWB carry, the Comp-Tac Minotaur is the most comfortable I have found. For a OWB belt holster I would go with the Raven/Phantom.

Those sights are fine on my M&P9c, HOWEVER, on my full size M&P9, it shot about an 1 1/2" low, using 115 grain ammo. I replaced the front sight with a Warren tactical front sight, which is .165 in height and is dead on for me. http://mle-shootingsports.com/Sights-WTS-Sights/c7_28/p64/WTS-Front-Sights/product_info.html?osCsid=8bjk5uioev49fgbtkqkes9c892

spamsammich
11-09-09, 20:06
forgot to mention that with my factory night sights, I have to float the dot for POA to = POI. For most of my pistols, the top edge of the front sight = POI. Yes, I have benched it.

tr1kstanc3
11-09-09, 20:25
Those sights are fine on my M&P9c, HOWEVER, on my full size M&P9, it shot about an 1 1/2" low, using 115 grain ammo. I replaced the front sight with a Warren tactical front sight, which is .165 in height and is dead on for me. http://mle-shootingsports.com/Sights-WTS-Sights/c7_28/p64/WTS-Front-Sights/product_info.html?osCsid=8bjk5uioev49fgbtkqkes9c892

I noticed they also make a front tritium sight for the M&P Pro now according to that website. Been looking for one.

rjacobs
11-09-09, 20:57
I am leaning towards some Heinie's since they are about an hour and a half drive from me so I could most likely drive up there, get them installed there, and get home pretty quickly as long as its arranged ahead of time.

I also found out today though that a good friend of mine's father works for Trijicon(sales and is on their shooting/instruction team) so I may go that route if I can get them for a ridiculous price. I'm also gonna see what I can get an ACOG for.