PDA

View Full Version : 870 extended safety questions

Striker5
03-03-07, 21:21
1. I have seen the WC/ST and Vang variants - which one is the best?
2. Can I install one myself w/ a punch set - how hard is it to do?
3. Does it increase the possibility of the safety becoming disengaged? Not a big issue for a dedicated fighting gun, but this one pulls double duty as a knock-around backwoods gun.

Any opinions or tips would be appreciated.

Cesiumsponge
03-03-07, 22:24
I installed the WC unit. It's just slightly larger in diameter and doesn't stick out more to my knowledge. The Vang looks like a sphere hacked in half and would look uncomfortable in my opinion and too easily engaged with the trigger finger even on the trigger guard because it sticks out so far, but I haven't used it, so I can't say 100%. I don't know if its compatible with the M4 stock adaptors either as far as clearance goes.

As for installation, it is super simple to install. I did it with a hex key in an allen set to drift out the pin. The pin is tapered on one end, and that is the end for your punch to push out the pin. It's tapered because when you reinstall it, you have to compress the spring and slide the retaining pin back in place without jamming or crushing the spring.

Keep a finger over the hole when you remove the punch you used to drift out the pin because the spring is under pressure and might launch out. Don't loose that spring, or the detent beneath the spring! The old trigger group I have uses a ball bearing. The new trigger group uses a detent pin with a radiused end and a narrow plug to ride in the spring. If you loose the ball bearing or detent, you can get another ball bearing from the hardware store. I believe both the springs are the same length and the turned detent is just harder to roll away on you when working on the gun.

The safety itself will drift out of the engagement side with some wiggle jiggle, so left-to-right if you were looking at the 870 from above. Simply slide in the new safety, put the detent and spring back in the hole. Then compress the spring (I used another allen key to compress it) downwards enough that you can put the pin back into the hole. Push it in flush, reinstall trigger assembly into receiver. Do a trigger function test to verify the functions and enjoy!

I installed the WC unit on a J-lock equipped 870. Same process as a regular 870. Also I put the red stripe back on the left side of the WC safety so it looks OEM and filled in the red/white dots with black paint.

I attached a picture of the Wilson Combat unit installed on the current trigger assembly on my 870. The other illustrations were done on a spare trigger group. I hope it helps!

http://www.impulselabs.org/Personal/Eric/Gun/WCSafe.jpg
http://www.impulselabs.org/Personal/Eric/Gun/WCSafe2.jpg
http://www.impulselabs.org/Personal/Eric/Gun/WCSafe3.jpg
http://www.impulselabs.org/Personal/Eric/Gun/WCSafe4.jpg

Striker5
03-04-07, 17:02
Wow! Thanks for taking the time dude, much obliged.

nyeti
03-04-07, 20:09
I use the Vang Safety and have had zero issues with it.

LonghunterCO
03-04-07, 22:02
My 870s and 11-87 have the WC units. Recomend them highly.

FJB
03-05-07, 04:56
I have two 870s configured with the Vang safety. It is a very positive safety yet quick to disengage when required. It is not uncomfortable. I have used both the WC and the Vang, per previous sentences you know which one I prefer.

chris914
03-26-07, 20:21
I use the Vang on both my 870 and my Beretta 1200. Zero issues thus far. I had a Scattergun Technologies (now Wilson) on the 870. The Vang is easier to operate with the Speedfeed stock on the gun. Just my 2 pennies.

rob_s
03-26-07, 21:31
The Vang looks like a sphere hacked in half and would look uncomfortable in my opinion and too easily engaged with the trigger finger even on the trigger guard because it sticks out so far, but I haven't used it, so I can't say 100%.

As I understand it the opposite is true in that it's designed to be easily disengaged with the trigger finger as you put your finger on the trigger.

Resq47
03-26-07, 22:46
As I understand it the opposite is true in that it's designed to be easily disengaged with the trigger finger as you put your finger on the trigger.

That's how it works for me...

f.2
03-27-07, 08:25
I take the safety out of the equation. It seems to me that the extra large safety is for when you need the stick in a hurry / re: right now and you don't want to have to fumble for the safe to fire button. I configure both of my 870Ps like this:

- rack slide ensuring chamber and magazine are empty of live rounds
- hold action to the rear and clear and show safe, visually and physically ensure safe
- close action and dry fire, lowering the hammer and releasing the action
- load magazine
- leave safety on fire

In this configuration, all you have to do is pick it up and rack a round into the chamber. No need to use the slide / action release because the hammer is down. All you have to do to ensure an empty chamber is pick it up and slowly pull slide to the rear to verify an unloaded weapon, careful not to cock the action.

rob_s
03-27-07, 09:17
That's called "cruiser ready", and most people do it that way. There are lots of other reasons someone might need/want a safety other than storage. Among other things different departments have different requirements for how the shotgun should be stored in the car.

toddackerman
07-23-07, 01:56
I use the Vang on both my 870 and my Beretta 1200. Zero issues thus far. I had a Scattergun Technologies (now Wilson) on the 870. The Vang is easier to operate with the Speedfeed stock on the gun. Just my 2 pennies.

+1

The Vang unit is very ergonomic, while being reliable as to not disengage until it is told to do so by the inside of you right index finger as you go to the trigger. It also is so well designed that you can feel it in the winter with gloves on.

The Vang parts are guarnteed for life.

Tack