PDA

View Full Version : Caliber Limited?

Frank Castle
11-09-09, 16:42
I have a Noveske Lower that I just registered for SBR purposes that I'm using in conjunction with an LMT MRP upper. As my first barrel under 16" is to be for 6.8, I had my lower engraved with "6.8 SPC" under the 5.56 mm rollmark (Noveske lowers are not marked multi caliber- at least not mine). I do not believe that this is a requirement , but I felt better about it since it is a configuration that I am going to use on a regular basis. The lawyer that prepared my trust and Form 1 had listed almost every caliber in common use with the AR platform (and some not so common such as 458 SOCOM). I changed the Form 1 to just 5.56 and 6.8 as that is all I intend to use for my purposes and submitted my documentation. To my surprise, my approved Form 1 is marked "Registered as 5.56 caliber only" in hand writing next to the authorizing ATF signature. Are there any legal implications with me using a caliber other than 5.56 with this firearm? I feel inclined to write a letter to ATF for clarification purposes and attaching a copy of their response to my Form 1- assuming I get a favorable response of course. Anyone encounter the same and what are your recommendations?

Todd.K
11-09-09, 18:28
You just send them a letter with the "new" configuration.