PDA

View Full Version : fanny pack vs. man-purse......

jmoore
11-09-09, 17:02
First off - I am writing from Illinois, so you might wonder why I'm asking questions that appear to be CCW-related:)

Well - sometimes you have to be thankfull for small favors. Last month, the courts here upheld that the center console in a car (or glovebox) constitutes a "case" as far as weapons transport is concerned. After a bit more investigation, I find that a fanny pack or "murse" is classified as a case as well. Yes - the downside is that the weapon must be unloaded. However, having a weapon and a full mag is certainly better than not having a weapon!!!!!

So - I am currently looking for a good variant that will allow rapid access to a pistol (G17, MP 9 FS, or ol slabsides:) and at the same time access to a loaded magazine. (Yes - I'm considering the Fatboy that Grant mentioned a while back.)

Any other suggestions? Oh - BTW - it should be able to fit a 6'5" 290 individual (44" waist).

TIA

jm

JeffWard
11-09-09, 17:42
First off - I am writing from Illinois, so you might wonder why I'm asking questions that appear to be CCW-related:)

Well - sometimes you have to be thankfull for small favors. Last month, the courts here upheld that the center console in a car (or glovebox) constitutes a "case" as far as weapons transport is concerned. After a bit more investigation, I find that a fanny pack or "murse" is classified as a case as well. Yes - the downside is that the weapon must be unloaded. However, having a weapon and a full mag is certainly better than not having a weapon!!!!!

So - I am currently looking for a good variant that will allow rapid access to a pistol (G17, MP 9 FS, or ol slabsides:) and at the same time access to a loaded magazine. (Yes - I'm considering the Fatboy that Grant mentioned a while back.)

Any other suggestions? Oh - BTW - it should be able to fit a 6'5" 290 individual (44" waist).

TIA

jm

I vote NEITHER...

Here's an option:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/23863/catid/14/Dillon__039_s___039_Plan_B__039__Day_Planner

JeffWard

rjacobs
11-09-09, 19:05
I have a versipack jumbo model. It is quite a bit larger than the regular versipack's and holds any gun I have tried to put in it(G19, MP9FS, 1911) just fine where as the smaller one might have trouble with larger guns. The Jumbo also will carry a 1 liter nalgene bottle, which the regular size will not.

NoBody
11-09-09, 19:49
I vote NEITHER...

Here's an option:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/23863/catid/14/Dillon__039_s___039_Plan_B__039__Day_Planner

JeffWard

That would be a huge mistake. Never carry your handgun off body. You will misplace that weapon at some point or allow access to someone unintentionally.

JHC
11-09-09, 20:02
In such a non-permissive environment quasi off body carry may be all that you got vs Maj Hassan in the next room. Camelback has some slick "fanny packs" that don't look tactical and have a velcro gun compartment. Mine is royal blue, compact. and slings well over the shoulder like a man purse.

JeffWard
11-09-09, 20:13
That would be a huge mistake. Never carry your handgun off body. You will misplace that weapon at some point or allow access to someone unintentionally.

Nice thought... but reality is reality.

I work in a gym. I dress in shorts and a t-shirt, and I'm often demonstrating techniques where a waist-band carry would be ridiculous.

Off-body carry is inferior to on-body, for exactly the reasons you described. Most street robberies include "bum-rushing" the victim blindside, knocking the victim down and them making off with the purse/briefcase/etc. Just like a purse, you should carry any bag across your body, etc... and when REQUIRED, use a "Plan-B" or something like it.

In my circumstances, there is only one option to off-body carry, and that is not having a gun. I'll choose off-body in that instance. My M&P9c is either in my dufflebag, at my feet, or locked away in my locker. In my truck, its in the holster mounted under the front seat, or on me. At least I can carry off-body loaded, and I can carry "concealed" in a retention holster in my vehicle... I LOVE FLORIDA.

JeffWard

NoBody
11-09-09, 21:08
You might want to also consider a Smart Carry holster.

esskay
11-09-09, 21:45
Here's another option:
http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=51

oef24
11-09-09, 22:26
Sometimes, it is necessary to have a "murse" style or fanny pack. Everyone is different and every situation is different.

The above post for The Wilderness Safepack is a very good choice. It can be carried in the hand, on the belt or thrown over the shoulder.

Here are another few options. I think it's the best fanny pack out there.
http://www.tommysgunpack.com/

CCK
11-09-09, 23:07
Why do people in Illinois continue to give deference to a law or system of laws that don't acknowledge your God given NATURAL RIGHT to defend yourselves?

Not trying to be an ass here, but if my options are not carry a gun and get mugged /caught up in an active shooter situation but be law abiding, or carry a gun for my personal protection and potentially save my life; no amount of laws to the contrary will disarm me.

So here I am saying break the law, get the gun that you can conceal best, practice your drawstroke and carry everywhere there isn't a metal detector.

Chris

JeffWard
11-09-09, 23:10
Why do people in Illinois continue to give deference to a law or system of laws that don't acknowledge your God given NATURAL RIGHT to defend yourselves?

Not trying to be an ass here, but if my options are not carry a gun and get mugged /caught up in an active shooter situation but be law abiding, or carry a gun for my personal protection and potentially save my life; no amount of laws to the contrary will disarm me.

So here I am saying break the law, get the gun that you can conceal best, practice your drawstroke and carry everywhere there isn't a metal detector.

Chris

... and post your opinion on a public web forum...

THIS is bad for gun rights everywhere. No matter how silly the law, suggesting it is flagrantly broken does NOT help the cause.

CARRY LEGALLY, AND VOTE!!!! Or move.

JeffWard

CCK
11-09-09, 23:28
... and post your opinion on a public web forum...

THIS is bad for gun rights everywhere. No matter how silly the law, suggesting it is flagrantly broken does NOT help the cause.

CARRY LEGALLY, AND VOTE!!!! Or move.

JeffWard

I disagree.

1. Civil disobedience has a place,that means doing something "illegal" because the law is unjust. I don't know a freedom loving person who could argue this law is just.

2. It's more important than that. This is about lives, not silly laws. Why show any respect for any law that doesn't respect you? Their (gun grabbers) laws and policies GET PEOPLE KILLED

Chris

Spade
11-10-09, 00:47
I disagree.

1. Civil disobedience has a place,that means doing something "illegal" because the law is unjust. I don't know a freedom loving person who could argue this law is just.

2. It's more important than that. This is about lives, not silly laws. Why show any respect for any law that doesn't respect you? Their (gun grabbers) laws and policies GET PEOPLE KILLED

Chris

I can kind of (I think) see your point here. However what you are saying is a dangerous road. Your logic of do not respect laws that do not respect you has no limit. Really most laws are really not here to respect you if you think about. Most laws are here to put some limit on you because society says people in & of themselves can not be trusted to know what's best for them under different situations. For example gun laws assume that you know crap about guns & falls to the least common denominator. Even if you are an uber ninja you are still subject to laws or then you are a criminal period end of game.

CCK
11-10-09, 07:56
I can kind of (I think) see your point here. However what you are saying is a dangerous road. Your logic of do not respect laws that do not respect you has no limit. Really most laws are really not here to respect you if you think about. Most laws are here to put some limit on you because society says people in & of themselves can not be trusted to know what's best for them under different situations. For example gun laws assume that you know crap about guns & falls to the least common denominator. Even if you are an uber ninja you are still subject to laws or then you are a criminal period end of game.

Spade,

Without devolving into political theory here, keeping this fact based and on topic:

Did you know the Federal government can't keep track of all the laws on the books? And if you count regulations from agencies that carry the weight of law (think EPA, or BATFE) there are somewhere north of 10,000 federal crimes. It is impossible to know at any one time how many of these laws you are in violation of, and I GUARANTEE right now you are!

So if the government views me as an as yet un-convicted criminal, I'm going to choose to break the laws that don't hurt anyone else and provide me with a level of safety.

For me that means any place regardless of signage to the contrary that doesn't have a metal detector is a place where I have a concealed weapon.

Chris

seb5
11-10-09, 08:51
For off body carry I've just about always used a small black bible case. A Glock 23, spare mag, etc. fit in there perfect. It also doesn't get me funny looks like some other cases. I started using this for church in the summer where slacks and polo type shirts are as dressy as one needs. I use it at times when other or on body carry is more restricted.

Spiffums
11-10-09, 09:43
I think of Flo saying "And no more carrying her purse!" "It's a European shoulder bag."

I used a fanny pack for while during hot weather till it finally tore up. No one really paid any mind to it around the store Mom works in or in the places I went to. Something things are just out of fashion and stick out.

I still say if someone made a messenger bag that had the tactical stuff but didn't look all that tacti-cool that it would sell like hot cakes and be the new "ccw vest".

Spade
11-10-09, 14:11
Spade,

Without devolving into political theory here, keeping this fact based and on topic:

Did you know the Federal government can't keep track of all the laws on the books? And if you count regulations from agencies that carry the weight of law (think EPA, or BATFE) there are somewhere north of 10,000 federal crimes. It is impossible to know at any one time how many of these laws you are in violation of, and I GUARANTEE right now you are!

So if the government views me as an as yet un-convicted criminal, I'm going to choose to break the laws that don't hurt anyone else and provide me with a level of safety.

For me that means any place regardless of signage to the contrary that doesn't have a metal detector is a place where I have a concealed weapon.

Chris

I do not want to hijack this thread so I started another.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=493035#post493035

blade_68
11-15-09, 02:42
"Plan B option" maybe one of the better than nothing options depending on job/ dress code situation, but would stick out like a sore thumb in some parts of the State. near Bloomington, Springfield ect. probably fit in. not so much in some of the places I lived in.

Move on from "P R" of IL in 87:D

ST911
11-15-09, 20:01
I still say if someone made a messenger bag that had the tactical stuff but didn't look all that tacti-cool that it would sell like hot cakes and be the new "ccw vest".

Eagle Courier Bag LE. Excellent bag.
http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=716&cat=72&page=1

Maxpedition Larkspur. Waiting for non-mil/LE colors (forest, burg, royal, etc).
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1240&idcategory=13

There are others, too.

Irish
11-15-09, 20:11
I've used the Maxpedition Remora for quite some time and have been very happy with it. I tried the Fatboy and decided it wasn't for me due to size and the way it's worn. I would normally use it when we're out on our boat, board shorts don't conceal guns too well. I never got a second look stopping for supplies on the way to the lake on many occasions.

Link: http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=384&idcategory=12

Pelican82
11-17-09, 19:37
For fashions sake, and to not stick out like a sore thumb do not get a fanny pack.

gunsNroses
11-18-09, 21:36
For fashions sake, and to not stick out like a sore thumb do not get a fanny pack.

+infinity