PDA

View Full Version : FN P 45: Anyone with professional analysis?

Cincinnatus
11-09-09, 18:04
I am looking at a new Polymer 45 and have looked at everything I could find on this forum on M&P 45 and HK45. Does anyone know much about the FN P 45? It looks great and has nice ergonomics except for having a high bore axis position to your hand (since it has a hammer). I know there is little aftermarket support, etc. but what about the gun itself? Is it even in the same class as the M&P 45 or is it more like a SA XD, okay for "bubba" but serious shooters beware? :confused:

Business_Casual
11-09-09, 19:20
Did you try reading any of the existing threads, such as:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=23395

M_P

Cincinnatus
11-09-09, 23:59
Did you try reading any of the existing threads, such as:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=23395

M_P

Thanks for pointing that one out. i did search extensively but missed that one. :cool::cool:
However, that thread was about if and when the tectical version is coming out, not whether the FN P 45 is a Glock-class pistol or an XD knock-off or somewhere in between.

castillo
11-10-09, 00:14
Thanks for pointing that one out. i did search extensively but missed that one. :cool::cool:
However, that thread was about if and when the tectical version is coming out, not whether the FN P 45 is a Glock-class pistol or an XD knock-off or somewhere in between.

The FNP45 is neither, since it isn't even striker fired. Based on everything I've read, it seems to be a great comprimise if you can't afford a HK but what a damn good good .45 ACP combat pistol.

Cincinnatus
11-10-09, 00:30
The FNP45 is neither, since it isn't even striker fired. Based on everything I've read, it seems to be a great comprimise if you can't afford a HK but what a damn good good .45 ACP combat pistol.

Thanks. I did not mean to compare the glock and XD on the basis of being striker fired but on the basis of being Polymer. I have come across one weakness peole have spoken up on and that is the lack of highpowered mag springs so that the pistols often fail to lock open on last round. Because of the thread "good Polymer .45" I am strongly leaning towards the M&P 45, a Glock 21SF, or the HK45. I had just seen an FN45 at the shop the other day and wondered if I could be talked into putting it in the running. ;)

rocket 442
11-12-09, 21:59
i looked at one tonight at my local gunshop after reading about them on another forum.asked owners son his opinion. for the $$$ the best buy in .45s second only to an HK.

Robb Jensen
11-12-09, 22:10
The FNP-45 is the softest shooting suppressed 45 I've ever fired....

Cincinnatus
11-12-09, 23:29
Thanks, Gotm4.
Good to know. I did some fishing around and found this link to Phillips Plastics. Apparently they worked with FN to make the pistol. http://www.phillipsplastics.com/assets/files/InterfaceFNH-1.pdf

However, they proudly proclaim that many of the steel parts are MIM. I know a bunch of the 1911 guys at other sites will swear to hell and back that anything MIM is garbage. We saw the same issue come up when rumors started that LMT was making their gas keys MIM.

I have heard people on both sides of the issue of MIM, and apparently, as long as the process is done RIGHT, it can be both cheap and strong with no weaknesses apparent in extensive testing--this is based on LMTs extensive testing of MIM gas keys.

The pdf I linked to also states that the FNP-45 must undergo 25,000 rounds without parts breakage, which, I THINK, was part of the requirements for the military side arm contract in .45, which was then dropped before any pistol was selected.

If indeed the FNP-45 can undergo 25,000 (on average) without major failure, then it would be in the same class as the HK45.

However, in looking around on the FN handgun forum, I found that the FNP has trouble digesting certain types of ammo, unlike the HK45 and most M&Ps.

But, if you know what type of ammo it likes and allow for that, it could prove to be a heck of a firearm.
With that being said, the gun is relatively new to the market and needs more testing in extensive handgun courses etc before enough info can be really accumulated about its general reliability compared to the Glock 21 (3rd gen), M&P 45, and HK45.

On the FN handgun forum, I noticed one post had a poll for how many rounds fired in each poster's FNP. The most fired by any one answering the poll was 8,000 rds. Most FNP-45 owners had fired 1,000 or less.

I also saw something posted either there or perhaps in a thread on this forum, that if FN does not sell 200,000 + pistols in the next year, they will pull completely out of the civilian market. Not sure if there is any truth to that or not.

Any thoughts on the pdf I linked to?
I ran the M249 SAW made by FN as a Marine, but am not sure whether FNs civilian offerings are as tight on QC/QA, etc as their contract military grade weapons are.