PDA

View Full Version : C&R question

Jeremy
11-11-09, 00:53
I am wanting to get into SBR's and maybe suppressors. Under Missouri law, these items are legal with proper ATF approval and an FFL of some sort. Through my research it looks like a C&R is the best choice, but I would like to run all of my NFA items through a trust. My question is, can a C&R license be issued to a trust?

chadbag
11-11-09, 02:33
Talk to an NFA aware attorney in your state.

Iraqgunz
11-11-09, 03:19
AFAIK you can own SBR's, MG's, AOW's and SBS's, but not suppessors and DD. The exception I believe for suppressors is if you are a "collector" the key would be to find out what or who makes that determination. I don't believe that a C&R license can be issued or given to a trust. I would contact the local BATFE and ask them.

I am wanting to get into SBR's and maybe suppressors. Under Missouri law, these items are legal with proper ATF approval and an FFL of some sort. Through my research it looks like a C&R is the best choice, but I would like to run all of my NFA items through a trust. My question is, can a C&R license be issued to a trust?

Jeremy
11-11-09, 03:24
I've talked several times with a local attorney who has several NFA items and he did not know about the C&R and the trust. I've called the attorney generals office and the NFA attorney never returned my call.

What I am trying to safeguard is what happens to the weapons when I pass away as I want to make it easy on my wife/son to maintain possession. Hopefully this is many years away, but I want to make sure that my son can get my collection when he is of age.

I'll the BATF office in St Louis and see if I can get anywhere with them.

sl4mdaddy
11-11-09, 08:03
A good source for C&R related answers is here and this was my guide for obtaining my C&R years ago:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/howtogetyourcurionrelicffl03/index.asp

Personally, if I wanted to make sure my possessions were protected and ended up where I wanted them to I would go the Trust route.

Abull
11-12-09, 18:13
I also live in Missouri and am just now getting ready to start an SBR project. I have not heard of needing an FFL for an SBR, where did you see that? I at first thought I would not use a trust but now I think that is the way I am going also. Oh, and I do have a C&R FFL.

Abull

Iraqgunz
11-12-09, 19:02
You may want to start reading here.

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/states/missouri/

Abull
11-13-09, 09:47
And what I see is SBR no problem, supressors and DD's no go. Still don't see a thing about the need for an FFL.

Abull

perna
11-13-09, 12:12
Oh, and I do have a C&R FFL.

Seems that is what you need.

Jeremy
11-13-09, 17:25
If you have a C&R, you are good as it is a form of FFL.

milosz
11-13-09, 18:10
He's asking because he wants the suppressor under his trust's name, but the C&R FFL would be under his name. That adds an extra layer of complication beyond suppressors being allowed for Missourians with C&R FFLs.

Jeremy
11-13-09, 18:17
I am pretty sure that I found all my answers. I found out for sure that a C&R cannot be issued to a trust. I found that if my will is in order, than all an heir has to do is a tax free form 5.

I think I am good to go now. I'll get my C&R application in and as soon as it is back, get the Form 4 sent out so I can SBR my new XCR pistol.

the G Man !
01-20-10, 10:49
To my knowledge you need Form 7 for Mo. $30 & Form 1 $200.00 Tax Stamp - Federal requirement for SBR