PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on Sling Mount to MOE

M4Fundi
11-11-09, 03:20
I am going to mount a Vickers sling to the REARWARD section of my MOE handguard.

I have 2 options. Either the upper side rear or the bottom rear.

I have a TD stubbie on a long rail on bottom. I had put the long rail on thinking this would make the stubbie connection more rigid instead of the short rail. I now think it probably did not matter the rail length as the handguards appear "so far" to be very rigid.

So, I can connect a sling swivel to the rear portion of the bottom long rail (behind the Stubbie) ........or

Put a short rail on the upper side rear and attach the sling swivel there.

Anybody see any pros/cons with these options?

rob_s
11-11-09, 08:48
This (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=164668)is what I used, and like it quite a bit. not sure if the HK hook will work for you or not.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/DSC_3944.jpg

HeavyDuty
11-11-09, 09:13
I'm actually looking into the same thing and trying to entice a few manufacturers into making a dedicated sling point for the MOE. Envision a thinner buttstock type Sling Thing with a rib on the back that interfaces with the MOE side slots and a backing plate. You could mount it anywhere on the side slots. Make it in both HK hook and QD cup versions and we'd be set.

M4Fundi
11-12-09, 00:52
I was planning on using the VTAC LUSA on one of the rails. I think you could hitch a horse to that thing it has so many types of connections to it. I just need to decide (for now...since this is a fluid build;)) if there is a pro or con to a high or low mounting point at the rear of the forend??

Rob looks good...you mounted it from the inside?

M4Fundi
11-12-09, 00:56
Damn Rob:D, I just took a closer look and see how you did that...very clean and well executed:)

rob_s
11-12-09, 06:15
Well, if you saw it up close you might not consider it "clean" :p

I had to cut the heat shield with tin snips, and the dremel work I did on the plastic leaves a lot to be desired. I don't have the patience for fine work. I'm more of a "turn it up to 11 and blast away" kind of guy. :D

But it works and the good news is that with it mounted from the inside even if the red Loctite on the screws fails the hook isn't going anywhere.