PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 components.

PR47
11-11-09, 04:11
Hello,

I am new to this forum, so I thought I should say hi to you all.
I live in Norway, attend IPSC competitions, and have a general interest in tactical/military stuff.

I have watched "The art of the tactical carbine 1 & 2", and hope some of you can shed a little light on a few things for me.

Travis speak about having the right components in the AR-15.
I think I remember he mentioning spring, buffer and so on.
I also observed that when Travis and Chris racks their AR's, it seems so effortlessly.

Is there a certain combination og buffer, spring and bolt that is better than other (thinking a lighter bolt or something???).

I personally use the Enidine Hydraulic Recoil Buffer, but other than that, everything else is standard Bushmaster.

Any recomandations :)

PR

Jay Cunningham
11-11-09, 05:25
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009

:)

thopkins22
11-11-09, 10:20
I also observed that when Travis and Chris racks their AR's, it seems so effortlessly.

Is there a certain combination og buffer, spring and bolt that is better than other (thinking a lighter bolt or something???)

That's partly because they're strong, but mostly because racking the charging handle is an action that they've done countless times and they're very good at it.

Parts may help you, but i bet the two of them would be nearly as efficient with your setup.

tirod
11-11-09, 11:46
There are two separate things going on - the results of practice, and proper selection of the right parts.

Training and practice make perfect. It's also said the amateur trains until he gets it right, the professional trains until he never gets it wrong. Complete familiarity and constant practice of the correct motions delivers those results.

The weapon itself has to have quality parts, of course, designed to function flawlessly at the intended level and stress of operation. What those parts are is not always a choice of what brand names look great on a build list - but what ones work well with each other to produce reliable function time and again.

That list varies to some degree - the intended use pre-selects certain categories. Choosing items that simply appeal results in less than a Chinese menu of compatible items, more like an American smorgasbord of hot dogs with chile, pate de fois gras, and chocolate cheesecake with cigars.

Stay focused on what it's made for, not what will impress other shooters on the line. If it's a Sully stock with A1 grip, vs. complete Magpul furniture, so be it.

It's the same in auto racing, what stickers are on the outside of the car may not actually be in it - or even help. The team owner will use what works over what has a reputation if he knows it gives results. The only time the driver actually drinks a brand beverage may be in victory circle.

No, I'm not much on Brand Name! as how it all works together.

PR47
11-11-09, 13:58
Tirod,

Thank you for your answer.
But which components work best together?
I mean, which buffer, spring and bolt assembly makes the best combination.
As I live in Norway, parts are very expensive, and I do not have the cash for trail and error testing.
So, if you, or some of you guys know which parts are a better choice than others, I would very much appreciate the info.

I run a 16" bushmaster, Enidine carbine buffer, otherwise the carbine is quite standard BM.
What quality parts would benefit my setup :)

PR

tirod
11-12-09, 09:15
What parts and from whom is a problem - there aren't major flags or lists with 5 star guarantees. Even Colt had problems at one time. It's usually never seen, but sometimes decision makers will trade off their Brand name and provide lesser quality parts for increased profits.

If it's for a short period, it doesn't seem to be anything more than "Oops, we shouldn't have got those. Sorry!" And that happens, too. Suppliers can and have misrepresented the quality they vend.

Major parts are generally described as milspec with the method of testing to ensure they pass quality checks. Bolts that have been shot peened and magnetic particle inspected, for example.

Smaller parts aren't often so described. At that point you fall back on the reputation of the source. Buying Colt lower receiver parts should deliver a higher level of reliability than shopping for the cheapest kit on the i-net. It takes a lot of forum surfing and introspection to get a feel for the middle of the road items.

One thing to sort out is whether the parts are used and recommended by those who actively shoot at a lot of matches. Of course, these same folks are often sponsored by makers who want to add their luster to the image. Marketing is often filled with a bit of puffery, let the buyer beware.

The end use of the rifle also plays into it. If the shooter doesn't go out every weekend burning up a thousand rounds, or even a hundred, it may never be discovered whether a part could fail for a long time. Civilian retail quality standards do a good job for those who only shoot a few times a year - and those owners still tend to rave on about what a great piece of gear it it.

It boils down to - you do get what you pay for, but will the shooter use his rifle enough to exercise the difference? Plus, if vendor X wants $$$ for his part, where can I find it for less?

Approach the situation with the same skills used in hunting: Find where the quarry frequents by actual sightings, focus on productive areas, and be there when the quarry is.

Keeping tabs on a website like this one will increase the opportunity to discover what parts are the better ones, who sells them, when they may be on sale, or even purchased at discount used from someone who is burning up their cash experimenting to find out what they like.

There's a simple answer, but not an easy one. Of course, if it was easy, then everyone would have a great AR and there would be no junk stuff on the market at all.

Hope that helps.

Iraqgunz
11-12-09, 17:48
PR47,

One suggestion would be to ditch the Enidine buffer and go with an H buffer. Also, I would seriously consider getting a good bolt. By good I mean HP/MPI tested and inspected- i.e. Daniel Defense, Colt, or BCM.

Make sure that your bolt carrier key screws are staked properly.

PR47
11-13-09, 11:33
Thank you for your answer Iraqgunz.
I understand that the answer I am looking for is not that easy.
The answers I have got on from you guys makes me realize that there are several solutions to this.
I will have a look at Daniel Defence as I know that I may get this brand i Norway.

PR