PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P 45 full size....to get with or without safety????

adh
11-11-09, 16:47
OK, so I sold my last 1911 and will be getting a full size M&P 45
IIRC, I want to say that I read here that it would be better (from an ergonomics standpoint) to get one without the thumb safety, as the placement of the safety is not really in an ideal location and can be problematic for some. Your input please.

Thanks

decodeddiesel
11-11-09, 17:00
IIRC, I want to say that I read here that it would be better (from an ergonomics standpoint) to get one without the thumb safety, as the placement of the safety is not really in an ideal location and can be problematic for some. Your input please.

Thanks

I find the placement of the safety to be virtually identical to the 1911, so for me it was an easy transition to an M&P45 with the safety.

kwelz
11-11-09, 17:07
I have had both. I prefer mine without the safety. But that is just a personal preference.

canucksvt
11-11-09, 17:31
I bought mine with the safety. I have had no issues with it. I am a long time Glock shooter and had limited exposure to 1911's, but the M&P45 safety was not a problem for me to adapt to.

adh
11-11-09, 18:00
For those with the safety, do you ride your shooting hand thumb on the safety? I always did with my 1911s.

decodeddiesel
11-11-09, 18:07
For those with the safety, do you ride your shooting hand thumb on the safety? I always did with my 1911s.

Yep. Works very well.

Irish
11-11-09, 18:25

Absolutely. I have the full size 9mm with thumb safety and find it a natural transition from the 1911 platform.

threeheadeddog
11-11-09, 19:49
Shoot one for an extended range session first.
I had a M&P 45 with thumb safty and found that if I shot more than a hundred or so rounds at once my thumb would start to hurt at the knuckle(though for the life of me I cant remember which knuckle :confused:). The "beavertail" area on an MP is substantially wider than on a 1911. Your thumb has to reach around the beavertail to ride it.
I have seen other reports of this problem as well so it would seem I was not alone.

RogerinTPA
11-11-09, 19:53

Yes. I find it natural to go from the 1911 to the FS M&P45. But it is the only one I own with the safety, just for that reason.

Pappabear
11-12-09, 11:39
Not to hijack, but to hijack. Is the trigger the same? I have a friend with one for sell and someone asked him, I did not know.

decodeddiesel
11-12-09, 13:32
Not to hijack, but to hijack. Is the trigger the same? I have a friend with one for sell and someone asked him, I did not know.

:confused:

Are you asking is the trigger the same from an M&P to a 1911? The answer would be a resounding no with the qualifier that an M&P trigger can get close with a professional trigger job.

C4IGrant
11-12-09, 13:34

Thanks

Don't get the thumb safety (bad idea).

C4

Irish
11-12-09, 13:38

C4

Grant - Please go into a little more detail, I'd like to hear your thoughts pertaining to why a thumb safety is a bad idea on the M&P.

C4IGrant
11-12-09, 13:39
Grant - Please go into a little more detail, I'd like to hear your thoughts pertaining to why a thumb safety is a bad idea on the M&P.

The Safety on the M&P is in a difficult position. With external safeties, you need to be putting your thumb on top of it. This is NOT a very comfortable shooting position and is why I do not recommend them.

C4

Irish
11-12-09, 13:44
Gotcha. I've only shot mine once as I tend to practice with the G19 the most. I bought it to see how I'd like it compared to the 1911 and I agree it's not in as natural a position for me. I'm taking it out this weekend to see if it's a keeper or indeed needs to be sold for one without the safety or possibly another Glock.

C4IGrant
11-12-09, 13:49
Gotcha. I've only shot mine once as I tend to practice with the G19 the most. I bought it to see how I'd like it compared to the 1911 and I agree it's not in as natural a position for me. I'm taking it out this weekend to see if it's a keeper or indeed needs to be sold for one without the safety or possibly another Glock.

IMHO, the mid-framed M&P 45 (with 4" slide) might be the best 45 CCW gun made.

I have just ordered one of these for myself.

C4

BigDog
11-12-09, 14:23
Definitely try the triggers on both models, if you can. I found the trigger on the one with the thumb safety to be gritty, while the model without (which I bought) was a heck of a lot smoother!

DMR
11-12-09, 14:36
I just recieved a M&P 45 full size. My 1911 fits very well, and I'm still getting used to the M&P. Even with the small grip insert it's much larger in my hand then the 1911 with a flat back strap, manageble, but larger. I ride the safety on my 1911, but couldn't imagine doing it on a M&P 45.

IF the Kahr TP-45 I recieved at about the same time smoothes out by 400 rounds, it will get the edge over the full size M&P for CCW

Of course much more qualified opinions are availible, such as Grants.

decodeddiesel
11-12-09, 14:53
:confused: I must have abnormal hands or something because I can "ride the safety" on my M&P9C and M&P45 full size no problem. I don't have large hands by any means.

My suggestion would be to try out both with and without the thumb safety and see which one you like better.

C4IGrant
11-12-09, 15:06
:confused: I must have abnormal hands or something because I can "ride the safety" on my M&P9C and M&P45 full size no problem. I don't have large hands by any means.

My suggestion would be to try out both with and without the thumb safety and see which one you like better.

I can ride it too (and have normal hand size). It just is not comfortable.

Ken Hackathorn (who has VERY large hands) finds the TS on the M&P to be uncomfortable as well. So it really isn't have about hand size. Its just not placed well on the gun.

C4

decodeddiesel
11-12-09, 15:23
Well different strokes for different folks I guess. It works great for me. YMMV and all that.

One nice thing about the M&P though is if you don't care for the thumb safety it is very easy to remove it.

mike benedict
11-12-09, 15:26
I have one with the thumb safety and I do not care for it much
I like the pistol just not the safety

C4IGrant
11-12-09, 15:27
Well different strokes for different folks I guess. It works great for me. YMMV and all that.

One nice thing about the M&P though is if you don't care for the thumb safety it is very easy to remove it.

Oh, it "works", but is not optimal. That is all.

Having your thumb on top of it for a 9 hour pistol class would be hell IMHO.

C4

C4IGrant
11-12-09, 15:28
I have one with the thumb safety and I do not care for it much
I like the pistol just not the safety

I recently sold two TS 9mm pistols to some friends (as they were not comfortable with a gun without an external safety). They thought it was a good idea at first, but now are not so sure.

C4

Mate
11-12-09, 19:39
I was lucky, a friend let me borrow a M&P45 with TS and I'm really glad I got to try it out before I bought it. At first I was all for a TS, but after only shooting M&Ps without them it's hard to transition.

BTW, does Smiff and Wesson make an M&P45 4" dark earth frame WITHOUT the thumb safety? I've already got two black pistols, I dont need a third.

C4IGrant
11-12-09, 19:57
I was lucky, a friend let me borrow a M&P45 with TS and I'm really glad I got to try it out before I bought it. At first I was all for a TS, but after only shooting M&Ps without them it's hard to transition.

BTW, does Smiff and Wesson make an M&P45 4" dark earth frame WITHOUT the thumb safety? I've already got two black pistols, I dont need a third.

I am SHOCKED that you didn't like the TS model!

Yes they make one in tan.

C4

Boris
11-12-09, 21:25
I tried the M&P45 with the TS first, and purchased one without. Very satisfied with my decision. Not that I had enough time behind one to find it uncomfortable, but rather I didn't feel the TS had as much travel nor was as positive as I was used to on my 1911 and didn't miss having a thumb rest on my M&P9; therefore, didn't want one on my M&P45.

As for triggers: I can't say that I recall a discernable difference in the trigger pull between the [tested and well broken in] TS variant, and the new non-TS model I purchased.

-B

Cobra66
11-12-09, 23:58
I have an M&P45 with the thumb safety. Granted I have only about 500 rounds through it, but I have found that I can easily inadvertently move the thumb safety up (on) when hitting the slide release lever during reloads (I'm one of "those guys" who uses the the slide release). Maybe this is something I can train away, but I don't know. I purchased the thumb safety because the M&P was my first striker fired auto and I come from a background of guns with safeties. It was simply familiar. In retrospect, given the design of the M&P and the general philosophy of use for striker fired pistols, I don't think the thumb safety adds anything to the pistol. As I recall, the only reason Smith and Wesson put one on the .45 was to meet US Army requirement for their on again/off again .45 caliber pistol trials.

DocGKR
11-13-09, 03:00
I strongly prefer M&P's with the thumb safety. In shooting thousands of rounds of .40 & .45 from M&P's, including up to 1000 rounds in one day during a pistol trial, I have not noticed any problems with M&P TS's. I too thought the small grips were my favorite when statically holding M&P's, however when dynamically shooting, the timer demonstrates that I actually do better with the large grips...

decodeddiesel
11-13-09, 10:35
I too thought the small grips were my favorite when statically holding M&P's, however when dynamically shooting, the timer demonstrates that I actually do better with the large grips...

Even on the M&P45?

DocGKR
11-13-09, 15:21
Particularly evident on the M&P45.

HK45
11-20-09, 10:59
I agree. I prefer to get better hand wrap around contact with the pistol that the thumb safety does not allow.

The Safety on the M&P is in a difficult position. With external safeties, you need to be putting your thumb on top of it. This is NOT a very comfortable shooting position and is why I do not recommend them.

C4

maximus83
11-21-09, 14:31

C4

I have to agree. If you have many years of training invested on say the 1911 platform, and you just HAVE to have that safety, I guess that's an exception worth considering. But otherwise, I think the thumb safety is the proverbial solution that's in search of a problem, on this gun. It's just one more thing to break, fail, and get in the way.

Glock30
04-23-13, 19:33
OLd thread:D

Yes they make one in tan.

C4

They do? Where can I find the SW MP45 Mid in FDE without the thumb safety?

Ready.Fire.Aim
04-23-13, 21:45
Without. So you can have the option of installing Crimson Trace Laser grips.
They don't fit M&P with a safety. Mine has a safety, bought it when they first came out. Very accurate pistol.

denn1911
04-23-13, 22:15
I have a full-size FDE with TS, a full-size Black without TS and a mid-size Black without TS. The FDE with TS is fine, but it gets a little uncomfortable during long range sessions. My full-size without TS is my preferred M&P pistol and has just over 15,000 rounds through it. My choice would be for an M&P45 without TS.

SOWT
04-24-13, 08:38
Without. So you can have the option of installing Crimson Trace Laser grips.
They don't fit M&P with a safety. Mine has a safety, bought it when they first came out. Very accurate pistol.

You can just cut the right safety off with a dremel, then the CT grips fit fine.

sjc3081
04-24-13, 09:00
I like the thumb safety, I prefer not to blow off the frank and beans.

Gary1911A1
04-24-13, 09:37
I have a M&P .45 with the 4 1/2" barrel with thumb safeties and find resting thumb on top of the safety to feel awkward. Maybe it's the curve of the grip under the tang, but it doesn't work for me. Try before you buy to see if it works for you.

Doc. Holiday
04-24-13, 09:39
This is a no brainer. Get it without! I love mine without the stupid safeties in the way.

kt1589
04-24-13, 10:17
I have shot both and have had no issues with either. I like the TS, because it is somewhat similar to the 1911. I like the TS for patrol work also. Ultimately, shoot what you are most comfortable and accurate with.

ralph
04-24-13, 10:50
You guys DO realise that up until yesterday,(pg 2) the last post in this thread was from Nov,09..just saying...

COZ ZINZKI
04-24-13, 10:54
I like the thumb safety, I prefer not to blow off the frank and beans. +1 ...On that.

Glock30
04-24-13, 11:36
I'll give them a call about the MP45 Mid in FDE without the thumb safety