PDA

View Full Version : Noveske 14.5" Afghan barrel and AAC 51T Fast-Attach Muzzle Brake

tmzphoto
11-11-09, 19:09
I'm building a new AR and I'd like to keep the barrel as short as possible, while still being legal, and allowing the use of a QD muzzle brake for a suppressor. I'd prefer AAC, and I have to use a brake, because Connecticut doesn't allow flash hiders. Muzzle devices also have to be permanently attached, and threaded barrels aren't permitted. <sigh>

Can anyone tell me if the combination of the Noveske 14.5" Afghan barrel and AAC 51T Fast-Attach Muzzle Brake (with the muzzle brake permanently attached) will make it to the 16" minimum length required for a non-NFA rifle?

According to AAC, the muzzle brake adds 1.4". The barrel is listed at 14.5", which would be just too short. Unless the barrel is really 14.6" or so. Does anyone know the precise length of the Noveske Afghan?

I don't want to go the SBR route, so if it's barely too short, I'll probably go with a 16" barrel, *possibly* have it cut down and re-threaded, and the brake permanently attached. Not sure if it's worth that much trouble for the ~1.5" less though.

Any thoughts?

Kissel
11-11-09, 19:36
I have been a member here for a little while but haven't really posted.
I can measure that combination for you a little later today.
After having gone through the whole pinning exercise, I don't see the benefit. After all is said and done, you're slightly shorter than a 16" barrel with FH. I'd rather have the additional velocity.

tmzphoto
11-12-09, 06:58
Unfortunately, Connecticut has an AWB that requires that muzzle brakes be permanently attached. Even if I go with a 16" (or longer) barrel, it still has to be pinned, so I'd rather have the shortest barrel I legally can, without going to an SBR.

Todd.K
11-12-09, 11:39
threaded barrels aren't permitted

The AAC brake has threads

Stickman
11-12-09, 12:19
Whether its worth it or not is something only you can answer based off your own wants and needs.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/AAC/IMG_9028%20A%201028%20Stick.jpg

tmzphoto
11-12-09, 21:57
The AAC brake has threads

Yes, that's true. There are theads on the barrel. But in Connecticut, the barrel has to be made unable to accept a flash-hider. Therefore, it either has to have something other than a flash-hider permanently attached to it, or not have threads at all (like a bull barrel). There can't be exposed, accessible threads that can accept a flash hider.

tmzphoto
11-12-09, 22:00
[QUOTE=Stickman;494408]Whether its worth it or not is something only you can answer based off your own wants and needs.

True. But until I get a definitive measurement of the barrel plus the AAC brake, I can't make a determination. If it's too short, I'll probably just go with a 16" barrel.

Nice pictures! Thanks!

Stickman
11-13-09, 03:03
I'm not sure what it comes out to off hand, maybe Todd will know.

SkiDevil
11-13-09, 06:52
Maybe Grant will chime in when he gets a chance.

I am building another AR right now myself and I am trying to decide between the Noveske Recon (16") and the Afghan (14.5"). I already have a Stainless Steel Recon, so I am leaning towards the Afghan. As you mentioned, one item I considered was whether the 1.5" was worth it. I went through the specs for both barrels on the Noveske website and it appears from the information I found the difference in weight is approx. 1/4 pound. Not much? In the end though, I am probably going to buy the Afghan. But like Stick said, you really have what decide what fits your needs.

If you choose the 14.5" there are many muzzle breaks out there. One place to check would be Brownells. The measurements and weights are typically provided in the catalog. Just remember, it may be wise to shoot for 16.1" so there is no question to the legality of the barrel length.

Good Luck
SkiDevil

P.S. My Recon is 16," so I am sure if the length is listed as 14.5 that is what it is.

Kissel
11-13-09, 07:09
Mine Afghan with that brake measures just under 16"-- hand tight.

ra2bach
11-13-09, 08:16
is this a case where an extra washer would make it long enough?

Todd.K
11-13-09, 13:25
I have doubts that a muzzle brake with threads on the outside of it would be legal where it is not legal to have a threaded barrel.

You can shim the AAC brake out to make 16" but we don't as there is nowhere to put the pin.

SkiDevil
11-13-09, 14:03
Hey Todd,
In regards to the 14.5" Afghan have you or do you have knowledge how those barrels shoot. I read a recent review of Noveske in a Surefire Magazine (I think) where the author reported that the 12.5" stainless barrel is crazy accurate, quoted something like a .495" group at 100yds. It was commented that the accuracy could have been attributable to the short AND stiff barrel.

What king of groups does the 14.5" barrel produce? Any similarities in performance, because of the shorter tube?

Thanks,
SkiDevil

tmzphoto
11-13-09, 19:30
I have doubts that a muzzle brake with threads on the outside of it would be legal where it is not legal to have a threaded barrel.

You can shim the AAC brake out to make 16" but we don't as there is nowhere to put the pin.

Like I said, in Connecticut, the barrel has to be made "unable to accept a flash hider". So unless you could attach a flash hider to the muzzle brake, it really doesn't matter. Hell, you could weld a flash hider onto a brake if you really wanted to.

Assault weapon bans are flukey things and seldom make a lot of sense in the real world.

tmzphoto
11-13-09, 19:38
Mine Afghan with that brake measures just under 16"-- hand tight.

Yeah, I figured that it would come out to around 15.9". Too bad, but it's just a bit too short. Thanks for checking it! I was hoping the 14.5" barrel might really be a bit longer than advertised.

Looks like I'll go with a 16" Recon barrel. Having it cut down to lose 1.3" doesn't make any sense, so I'll just leave it be.

I'm committed to using an AAC brake to mount an M4-2000. If AAC could make a brake .2" inches longer, then it would be just right.

spamsammich
11-13-09, 21:04
Hey Todd,
In regards to the 14.5" Afghan have you or do you have knowledge how those barrels shoot. I read a recent review of Noveske in a Surefire Magazine (I think) where the author reported that the 12.5" stainless barrel is crazy accurate, quoted something like a .495" group at 100yds. It was commented that the accuracy could have been attributable to the short AND stiff barrel.

What king of groups does the 14.5" barrel produce? Any similarities in performance, because of the shorter tube?

Thanks,
SkiDevil

Be on the lookout for Molon's future posts re: Afghan accuracy. FWIW, mine is noticeably more accurate than my LMT 14.5" barrel if I do my part. Unfortunately I've never had the time or resources to do a proper test like Molon does.

SkiDevil
11-14-09, 05:15
Be on the lookout for Molon's future posts re: Afghan accuracy. FWIW, mine is noticeably more accurate than my LMT 14.5" barrel if I do my part. Unfortunately I've never had the time or resources to do a proper test like Molon does.

Thanks for the heads-up. Yes, Molon is very knowledgeable and thorough.