PDA

View Full Version : Fake Marine busted!

Chris0311
11-11-09, 23:41
Absolutely outrageous..and nothing new honestly, the idea of lying about being a war hero, is as old as war itself. Shame on him!
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,26340095-954,00.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/11/accused-military-fake-ste_n_354753.html

In one photo, he's pretending to be an enlisted Marine, in the other photo, he's an officer. Scumbag, just...sad.

The stolen valor act, what a fitting name for the crime.

Skter505
11-11-09, 23:55
wow he really went all in with those medals didnt he...what a loser.

kmrtnsn
11-11-09, 23:59
Disgusting.

Sgt5811
11-12-09, 00:07
You know, it's bad enough that you have young Marines with libo ribbons. But now you have civilians wearing them? I guess it's as easy as going to the local surplus store and playing Barbie dress up. That stuff really brings out "that side" of me and makes me want to go earn my pay the old school way. And you know he was laying it on thick if he got caught by a Squid.

Shark
11-12-09, 00:10
I noticed that Navy Cross and Bronze Star right away. At least he had them in the proper order. I'm surprised he didn't have Jump Wings to add to his coolness. Yep, the dude has serious issues. What a loser!

Spade
11-12-09, 00:21
What a piece of crap! I'd like to tie that guy to the back of my truck for a while.

John_Wayne777
11-12-09, 00:42
He probably wouldn't have been so noticeable if he hadn't tried to have the largest salad bar in the history of mankind. If your salad bar almost goes over the shoulder you might be overdoing it a bit. Tends to draw some unwanted attention from the kind of people who know what all those ribbons stand for. I'm surprised he stopped at the Navy Cross. Go big or go home...get the CMOH ribbon and complete the set!

Of course, actually looking something like a Marine would help too...

cop1211
11-12-09, 00:47
POS!!!!!

John_Wayne777
11-12-09, 00:50
http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art4/1111091medals1.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art4/1111091medals2.jpg

RancidSumo
11-12-09, 00:58
How ****ed up do you have to be to do something like that?

Something about this week is bringing out all the weirdos. I don't think I am going to leave my house for a few days just to be safe.:eek:

parishioner
11-12-09, 01:12
He probably wouldn't have been so noticeable if he hadn't tried to have the largest salad bar in the history of mankind. If your salad bar almost goes over the shoulder you might be overdoing it a bit. Tends to draw some unwanted attention from the kind of people who know what all those ribbons stand for. I'm surprised he stopped at the Navy Cross. Go big or go home...get the CMOH ribbon and complete the set!

Of course, actually looking something like a Marine would help too...

Seriously. Im surprised he didn't fall over from the weight of it all.

The guy is wimpy and looks like he isn't confident of himself with the most prestigious navy medal. Who did he think he was fooling?

VooDoo6Actual
11-12-09, 01:22
Sad indeed and there's a lot more of them out there than most people think or know....

DragonDoc
11-12-09, 01:24
http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art4/1111091medals1.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art4/1111091medals2.jpg

Damn his fruit salad looks like mine but I top out at a BSM for service. No way I'd go out and buy any medals that I didn't earn though. I guess guys like him have no clue what our awards mean to us. They truly are representations of our trials and tribulations. This dude graduated in 1988 which means that he had every oppurtunity to earn the awards he is wearing if he had volunteered to join the service. He took the cowards way out instead and is definitely a POS.

ThirdWatcher
11-12-09, 01:39
What a loser!:eek:

wargasm
11-12-09, 02:14
His pencil-neck is a dead giveaway!:eek:

Shadow1198
11-12-09, 02:34
Who the **** does shit like this, seriously? If he gets seen by the right guys, he would be in a lot less pain jumping into a vat of acid while being devoured live by an alligator in comparison to the ass beating he'd be on the receiving end of. :rolleyes:

Irish
11-12-09, 02:38
And you know he was laying it on thick if he got caught by a Squid.

Eat a dick, Jarhead :D

There are many websites dedicated to debunking false claims of being in Delta Force, SEALs, Rangers, SpecOps, etc. It's alot more common than most of us would like to think. I can't remember where I saw it but there were pictures floating around not long ago of a couple Marines ripping apart some young guy dressed up as a Marine in an airport with the uniform all dicked up, his expression was priceless :)

Do a search on the Stolen Valor Act and you'll see all sorts of pictures of imposters claiming to be someone they're not. I think they should just ship his ass over to Iraq or Afghanistan and hand him over to a real group of Devil Dogs and let them have their way with him and then take him out on patrol with them for a year.

perna
11-12-09, 03:03
I think they should just ship his ass over to Iraq or Afghanistan and hand him over to a real group of Devil Dogs and let them have their way with him and then take him out on patrol with them for a year.

They should ship him over there and leave him in the middle of the desert with all his medals.

tinman44
11-12-09, 04:40
You know I think the best punishment (for someone like this) would be to treat them as awol. I couldnt imagine the type of punishment they would get in a brig. He would be like "omg omg dude i'm sorry i was just pretending so i could get some poon please dont put me in general population" Or i like one sugestion, pick him up while he's all dolled up and drop him over iraq desert somewhere, tell him "now you can earn those you puke" maybe not even pull his ripcord just let him figure it out.

cop1211
11-12-09, 05:52
He's also an officer in the top picture, and a Master Gunnery Sgt. in the bottom.

I guess he only wore the officer uniform for "Those really special occasions".

Absolute coward and scumbag.

Should be jammed in the breach of 155mm and blasted into a pig pen.

DragonDoc
11-12-09, 06:04
Who the **** does shit like this, seriously? If he gets seen by the right guys, he would be in a lot less pain jumping into a vat of acid while being devoured live by an alligator in comparison to the ass beating he'd be on the receiving end of. :rolleyes:

There was a guy here in TX who was passing himself off as a MOH winner. He was the grand marshall at several parades and even drew VA benefits. He got caught when he tried to get additional VA benefits and sent in his fake DD214s and the data didn't make sense.

SP1200
11-12-09, 07:39
This is just pathetic....:mad:

John_Wayne777
11-12-09, 07:54
There are many websites dedicated to debunking false claims of being in Delta Force, SEALs, Rangers, SpecOps, etc. It's alot more common than most of us would like to think.

There have been a lot of guys in the military caught fudging their resume...claiming to be in units they were never in, claiming awards they were never given, etc.

Jim Colborn
11-12-09, 08:23
There are a lot of ASSHOLES out there.

He should be sentenced by a judge to wear a large sign in the mall, work and around his home - I am a fake Marine for 60 days.

Jim

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-12-09, 08:52
Should be jammed in the breach of 155mm and blasted into a pig pen.

What do you have against pigs?

Gentoo
11-12-09, 09:25
You know I think the best punishment (for someone like this) would be to treat them as awol. I couldnt imagine the type of punishment they would get in a brig. He would be like "omg omg dude i'm sorry i was just pretending so i could get some poon please dont put me in general population" Or i like one sugestion, pick him up while he's all dolled up and drop him over iraq desert somewhere, tell him "now you can earn those you puke" maybe not even pull his ripcord just let him figure it out.

ROFL, that was really funny! :D

But I really do not understand people like this at all. It isn't like getting in the .mil is really all that hard to do (barring medical issues). Go enlist and wear the real thing.

And fakers in this day and age really boggle the mind. Not like there aren't a hundred websites you can't go to find out if the guy is full of shit.

Tipy
11-12-09, 10:12
Is that a John Kerry button he's wearing on his top right pocket in some of those pic's?

landrvrnut22
11-12-09, 10:45
I HAD a friend that claimed to be enlisted in Marine reserve. He got caught when my buddy, a LT. in the Guard called in a favor and asked an actual Marine. He wasn't charged, but got in some deep shit. He moved to Texas where he supposedly joined the Marines. If you look at his facebook, there are pictures of "him" on patrol, in ghillie suits, etc. I never did trust him, and I respect him even less.

They are out there, and they deserve everything they get.

Littlelebowski
11-12-09, 11:31
What was he passing himself off as in the first pic? Looks like oak leaves to me.

Chris0311
11-12-09, 13:54
What was he passing himself off as in the first pic? Looks like oak leaves to me.

Yeah, i think so. Looks that way..

Omega_556
11-12-09, 15:59
I don't agree with a possible prison sentence. Make him a conscript, give him an age waiver to attend MCRD, and then deploy him.

ohiorifleman
11-12-09, 16:02
Must have been a field promotion- he probably got so excited when he paid the cc bill for the first uniform that an order with Medals of America was in order for such heroic action.

Irish
11-12-09, 18:18
Without sounding like I'm defending the guy... because I feel like he should have his head stomped in and that rack full of medals shoved down his throat... there is obviously something wrong with someone who portrays themselves in this way.

I didn't do any research and wouldn't waste my time but people like this probably have some pretty deep seeded psychological issues going on to act out in this way. Obviously it's far from normal and the little white lie that most guys spit out to get in a girl's pants at a bar. Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge...

and yes he still needs an ass kickin' ;)

BrianS
11-12-09, 18:33
Without sounding like I'm defending the guy... because I feel like he should have his head stomped in and that rack full of medals shoved down his throat... there is obviously something wrong with someone who portrays themselves in this way.

I also don't want to sound like I am defending the guy, but I can't honestly decide which is more pathetic: The fact he is pretending to be something he isn't or the fact that it is possible to get a year in Federal Prison for playing dress up.

John_Wayne777
11-12-09, 18:42
Impersonating a police officer will get you some jail time too.

Was this guy endangering society? No. He was, however, treading on sacred ground.

I didn't earn a Purple Heart or a Navy Cross so I'm not qualified to discuss their meaning or remind people of the blood those awards represent. I'm sure some hold those awards to be sacred, while others who earned them (or who sure as hell deserved them) may not think it's a big deal. Nobody pinned one on my chest or left one on my coffin so that's not my call to make.

...but, given the standards set for the award of medals like the PH or the NC, it doesn't strike me as terribly incongruous to have stiff penalties associated with faking it.

Is it sensible that in a society where child molesters, rapists, and murderers get slaps on the wrist that a guy who plays Marine is likely to serve more time? Probably not. Still, I don't think that means we should take this sort of thing lightly.

ThirdWatcher
11-12-09, 19:27
Every culture needs a way to recognize heroism. We choose to recognize our military heroes by awarding decorations. If we allow phonies to wear the uniform and decorations, it will cheapen them. Pretty soon everyone wearing the decorations would be suspect. I find this unacceptable.

Abraxas
11-12-09, 19:37
I don't agree with a possible prison sentence. Make him a conscript, give him an age waiver to attend MCRD, and then deploy him.

This idea has some possibilities. A week or two after I hit the fleet and checked into my battalion, there was a guy in another company who got busted for doing something like this. They were inspecting his room for field day and he left his wall locker open. In it there was a pic of him and his pops. Now at this point he had only been out of boot for a short time, but in the pic he had a stack of ribbons, jump wings, a bubble and (now this in the Marine Corps) a SEAL Budweiser. His 1st Sergeant was less than impressed with his awards, he was in it deep.

RogerinTPA
11-12-09, 19:41
****in PX Poser/Loser MotherFocker. If I was a Marine, and near his AO, I'd be stopping a hole in his ass. Anyone notice how many EX-Marine Snipers are running around or Delta or Seals? This poser BS is well below whale shit. :mad:

Buck
11-12-09, 19:58
EX-Marine

That would be "former Marine", as "EX- Marines" are dead... ;)

B

Irish
11-12-09, 20:00
I know it's different but what about Halloween? Should people have the right to impersonate our military personnel on that day? Obviously the hot girls in skimpy uniforms are ok ;) I am being a bit of a devil's advocate...

The cop thing is a bit different in my opinion. Some numb skull in a Marine outfit isn't going to try to pull me over or give me a lawful order without me laughing at him and probably alot of people looking at him weird as most civililans don't take orders from military personnel. With someone impersonating an LEO they have quite a bit more perceived power over the average Joe or Jane and I think this could be used alot more maliciously.

Also, I'm forced to watch So You Think You Can Dance... 2 nights ago some dancing little fruitcake was wearing a Marine Private insignia on his shoulder and wearing Navy Petty Officer insignias on his collars which I obviously commented on to my wife and she gave me a :confused: look but it still bugged me.

Buck
11-12-09, 20:03
Also, I'm forced to watch So You Think You Can Dance... 2 nights ago some dancing little fruitcake was wearing Navy Petty Officer insignias on his collars

They may of been real... :rolleyes:

Just saying...

B

P.S. Love's not wrong... ;)

Irish
11-12-09, 20:07
Nice editing :p

RogerinTPA
11-12-09, 20:37
That would be "former Marine", as "EX- Marines" are dead... ;)

B

True, but when I hear a poser conversation, it's mostly stated as "Ex". A quick way to spot a poser.

s85sss
11-12-09, 21:36
why?
didn't he know lies have short leg?!

BiggLee71
11-12-09, 21:45
Wow,in both photo's he sure does have a chest full of medals!! I see he thinks very highly of himself.I hope this p.o.s get the max of whatever penalties he has coming to him.

skyugo
11-12-09, 22:09
man that's pathetic. :(

DragonDoc
11-12-09, 22:24
There have been a lot of guys in the military caught fudging their resume...claiming to be in units they were never in, claiming awards they were never given, etc.

Before the Army went electronic, soldiers used to hand carry their personnel files from one assignment to the next. Quite a few soldiers would leave an overseas assignment and arrive promoted or with additional awards in their file. Luckily we are electronic now because the services would be rife with falsified documents.

tinman44
11-12-09, 22:49
ROFL, that was really funny! :D

But I really do not understand people like this at all. It isn't like getting in the .mil is really all that hard to do (barring medical issues). Go enlist and wear the real thing.

And fakers in this day and age really boggle the mind. Not like there aren't a hundred websites you can't go to find out if the guy is full of shit.

This may sound odd to some but i was raised in a military family, i had a marine corp flag on my wall since cub scouts, my life plan was organized around service, and due to an internal injury from motorcycle wreck(found out 10 years later recruiter was jerking me to see if i was really wanting to go) i was not accepted into the marines. Yearly i weigh trying again as i have a patriotic yearning to serve, in fact its almost like an emotional scar that i couldnt carry on the long history of my family name to serve. I cannot imagine the anger this puts on someone who did serve and spill blood for our country, but for me I'm extremely sickened of people like this. Some people dont want to serve but do, some people want to but cant, whole different mindset. And to think theres someone out there who wants the respect earned by generations but too much of a pussy to put in his time, well i could spend time behind bars and still die happy.

Outrider
11-12-09, 22:49
It's sad to see someone go to these lengths to pose as a Marine. That said, it's hardly surprising that someone would do this. I know a Vietnam vet who used to enjoy exposing phonies. After a while he just stopped. He told me that it really says something about how unhappy a person is with his life that he has to pretend to be a combat veteran.

Sadly, it's not just wannabes outside the military. There are individuals in the military who do wear medals and devices they did not earn. The most glaring example that I can recall was Admiral Boorda. He wore valor devices that he had not earned. When he was about to be exposed, he committed suicide.

cougar_guy04
11-12-09, 22:59
First article I saw on this was that he was pretending to be an Lt. Col.

Chris0311
11-13-09, 00:45
Sadly, it's not just wannabes outside the military. There are individuals in the military who do wear medals and devices they did not earn. The most glaring example that I can recall was Admiral Boorda. He wore valor devices that he had not earned. When he was about to be exposed, he committed suicide.

On a much lighter note regarding that, i have kinda of funny story. At the Marine corps. ball many yrs ago, i saw a guy in my platoon, wearing an expert rifle markman ship badge. Knowing that he was most deffinately not an expert, but only a marksman i asked him about it. He looked at me with a smile and said "hey dog, it's the ball, everybody's an expert tonight" During the course of the evening i noticed several guys sporting expert badges, who deffinately weren't experts. I remember finding it pretty funny.
On a more serious note the matter of receiveing awards that people haven't earned is something that pisses me off quite a bit. Here's an interesting article about it
http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourceFileView?file=Hackworth_093003.htm

DragonDoc
11-13-09, 01:26
It's sad to see someone go to these lengths to pose as a Marine. That said, it's hardly surprising that someone would do this. I know a Vietnam vet who used to enjoy exposing phonies. After a while he just stopped. He told me that it really says something about how unhappy a person is with his life that he has to pretend to be a combat veteran.

I don't think that Boorda is a good example for stolen valor. I think that he may have thought that he was entitled to wear the V devices. I have a difficult time putting otgether my dress uniform after 22 years of service. Mike Boorda served for 40 years so you can imagine the amount of ribbons and accouterments that he had to place on his dress uniform. I know that trying to keep my uniform and records straight is a pain in the ass. His situation wasa twice as bad as mine. You lose count your personal awards and unit awards after a while and the various devices doesn't help. The fact that he committed suicide also tells me that he would rather die than dishonor his uniform. His downfall waas that he had enemies in the Navy and D.C. who were just waiting for a reason to take him down. A simple Admiral you can't wear the V devices and this is why would have sufficed. Instead he faced media scrutiny and shameless attacks. I don't think that he stole any Valor or even needed to. The man went from Seaman (E-1) to CNO. Not many men can say that they have the stuff to accomplish that.

Iraq Ninja
11-13-09, 02:05
Chesty don't suffer no fools...

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/chesty2.jpg

ThirdWatcher
11-13-09, 03:14
Doc, Admiral Boorda never entered my mind when I wrote my posts. When Boorda died, I asked my father (who was retired from the Submarine Service, now deceased) why anyone would commit suicide of a "V" device. He explained why in much the same way as you have in your post.

IIRC, it was later determined he was entitled to wear the "V" device on his Bronze Star.

Either way, I refuse to impugn the reputation of a fine warrior.

d90king
11-13-09, 07:02
I believe boot camp is in order for this jack ass! WTF is wrong with people...

HK51Fan
11-13-09, 23:55
I think he thought the NCO uniform has a little more bling with the extra piping and the extra buttons!

What a turd......I wish this were an isolted incident, but it's a sign of the society in which we live. There are no real consequences for our actions. People aren't accountable and there are very few rights of passage that people go through to be consider a man!
The weak are taking over the warriors are being killed off....through military servive, LEO, heroic acts....the survivors that are propofating the species and the pussies that stay in the shadows and then they offer a sympathetic ear and a shoulder to cry on for the women who are left behind.......there's a whole study that addresses this. We're screwing ourselves as a society.

VooDoo6Actual
11-14-09, 10:31
Here's 16 PHONEY MOH Marines busted this year....

MARINE CORPS TIMES Association wrestles with how to treat fakers
MARINE CORPS TIMES
July 27, 2009
Association wrestles with how to treat fakers
By Dan Lamothe
dlamothe@militarytimes.com

The Marine Corps Association is ignoring fraudulent veterans in its ranks, say a growing number of critics disgusted with the organi zation for publishing a member ship directory listing dozens of unearned military decorations.

The criticism follows the associ ation’s response to learning that at least 40 profiles printed in the 2009 Marine Corps Association Membership Directory had false or fraudulent medals listed, including 16 Medals of Honor and 16 Navy Crosses. The Nation al Personnel Records Center, which maintains former service members’ paperwork, also had no record of at least five people listed in the directory ever serving a day in the military. Tom Esslinger, MCA’s chief oper ating officer, said no members have been expelled from the orga nization, including Donald Laisure Sr., 80, a former private who admitted to Marine Corps Times that he pretended to be a retired four-star general with a Navy Cross and Silver Star.

MCA, a nonprofit with about 80,000 members, is considering what to do with Laisure. Any deci sion the association makes must be approved by its board of direc tors, which isn’t scheduled to meet until December, Esslinger said.

MCA posted a one-page adden dum to the directory on its Web site after the problems were outlined in the July 6 issue of Marine Corps Times. The addendum includes corrected information for all 40 profiles originally called into ques tion by retired Lt. Col. Thomas Richards, a Navy Cross recipient and MCA member.

Richards first discovered irregu larities in the directory while look ing for individuals eligible to join the Legion of Valor, an organiza tion for Medal of Honor and service cross recipients.

MCA officials said many of the incorrect profiles were not the result of individuals lying about their military records, but because of errors by Harris Connect, a pub lisher contracted to collect infor mation for the directory. Harris officials acknowledged the compa ny’s mistakes, but critics say MCA needs to launch a full investiga tion of its membership, starting with those who claim high-level military decorations and service as a general officer, which are rela*tively easy to verify.

“You have to police your own,” said retired Col. Len Hayes, execu tive director of the 1st Marine Divi sion Association, a separate non profit with about 11,000 members. “Once a guy emerges as a phony, it’s just inconceivable that they don’t purge him from their association.” Hayes said that after he read about the mistakes Harris made, the 1st MarDiv Association launched an investigation of its own membership directory, published by Harris last year. The group is in the process of verifying members who claim to be retired generals or recipients of the Medal of Honor and Navy Cross, but has not found any discrepancies.

Last year, the 1st MarDiv Associ ation demanded that two members resign or defend their military record after their claims raised the eyebrows of the association’s lead ers, Hayes said. One of them, a for mer corporal, first said he was a retired captain, but shifted his story to say he was a retired lieu*tenant colonel. The second one, a former private first class who served in Korea, said he was a retired colonel who earned a Navy Cross as an F-4 pilot in Vietnam.
“We sent them a letter telling them to appear before our direc tors to show cause on why they shouldn’t be thrown out, or to
resign,” Hayes said. “Both elected to resign, and we notified a FBI agent in L.A. about them. That’s what the Marine Corps Associa tion should do.” Richards, an MCA member for 30 years, said he still believes MCA does a lot of good work, but thinks its leaders are trying to weather the bad publicity without making serious, time-consuming changes.

“They haven’t demonstrated that they take it as seriously as their statements suggest they are,” he said. “I’m a longstanding member of the Marine Corps Asso ciation, but I think they’ve gone astray on this one, relative to their mission, vision and values.” Ë