PDA

View Full Version : Building a couple first aid kits...Need feedback on contents

kerplode
11-12-09, 02:42
I'm putting together a couple new first aid kits. One for the house and one for my truck. I'm going to make them the same and would like them to be set up to deal with anything from a traumatic wound to a headache. I'd like to get some feedback on my contents list. Here's what I have so far:

-- This is the most up to date list --

Trauma / Hemorrhage
Qty Item
1 SOF/CAT Tourniquet
1 Tourni-Kwik TK-4
1 QuikClot Gauze, 3"x4yd
2 Olaes Bandage, 4"
1 Izzy Bandage, 6" w/ Slider
2 Gauze, 4.5"x4.1yd, Kerlix or PriMed
2 Trauma Pad, 5"x9" or larger
10 Gauze Pad, 4"x4" or ~2" Stack of Non-Sterile 4"x4"
2 Elastic Compression Bandage, 4"

Burns
Qty Item
6 Water Gel Burn Gel, 3.5gr Packet
2 Water Gel Dressing, 4"x4"
2 CoFlex LF2 Bandage, 3"
5 Cleansing Wipes, Lidocaine and Aloe

Minor Wounds
Qty Item
15 Adhesive Bandage, 5/8"x2-1/4"
10 Adhesive Bandage, 3/4"x3"
5 Adhesive Bandage, 1"x3"
5 Adhesive Bandage, 1-3/4"x4"
5 Adhesive Bandage, 1-1/2x3-1/4" Knuckle
2 Eye Pads, Oval, 2-1/8"x2-5/8"
2 Triangular Bandage, 40"x40"x56"
10 Towelette, Benzalkonium Chloride
10 Towelette, Alcohol
20 Butterfly Closures
2 Eye Wash, 4oz Single-Use
10 Eye Drops, Single Use
2 Cloth Tape Roll, 1"

Medications
Qty Item
1 Aspirin, 81mg Chewable, Bottle of 36ea
12 Acetaminophen, 325 mg Tablet
12 Ibuprofen, 200 mg Tablet
12 Diphenhydramine, 25 mg Capsule
12 Diamode, 2 mg Tablet
12 Diotame, 262mg Tablet
12 Alamag, 300mg Tablet
12 Triple Antibiotic Ointment
12 Hydrocortisone Cream 1%
2 Oral Rehydration Salts
1 Glucose, 25mg Tube

Tools / PPE / Misc
Qty Item
1 Carmex Lip Balm
6 Nitrile Gloves, Pair, Large
1 EMT Shears
1 Tweezers
1 Duct Tape Roll, 2"x5yd
2 Safety Pins, Large
4 Safety Pins, Small
1 Flashlight w/ Li Batteries
1 Headlamp w/ Li Batteries
1 Sharpie Marker, Fine Point

NinjaMedic
11-12-09, 03:25
Trauma / Hemorrhage
Qty Item
2 SOF Tourniquet (Always have a tourniquet, Never have just 1)
1 QuikClot Gauze, 3"x4yd
2 Olaes Bandage, 4" (or I prefer 6" Izzy w/ Slider)
0 Petroleum Gauze, 3"x9"
0 priMed Gauze, 4.5"x4.1yd
2 Kerlix Gauze, 4.5"x4.1yd
2 Trauma Pad, 5"x9" (Go big or go Home, buy the biggest trauma pads you can)
0 Gauze Pad, 4"x4" (Just buy 1 sleve or package of non-sterile and throw 2-3" thick stack in)
2 Elastic Compression Bandage, 3" (Why 3"? Buy 4")

Burns
Qty Item
6 Water Gel Burn Gel, 3.5gr Packet
2 Water Gel Dressing, 4"x4"
0 Water Gel Dressing, 4"x16"
0 Water Gel Face Mask, 12"x16"
2 CoFlex LF2 Bandage, 3"
5 Cleansing Wipes, Lidocaine and Aloe (Your Choice I dont use anything like that)

If the burn is larger than a 4x4" dressing can cover you are better suited using a dry dressing (probably a trauma pad.)

Minor Wounds
Qty Item
0 Gauze Pad, 2"x2" (Cut from 4x4's if needed)
15 Adhesive Bandage, 5/8"x2-1/4"
10 Adhesive Bandage, 3/4"x3"
5 Adhesive Bandage, 1"x3"
5 Adhesive Bandage, 1-3/4"x4"
5 Adhesive Bandage, 1-1/2x3-1/4" Knuckle
2 Eye Pads, Oval, 2-1/8"x2-5/8"
2 Triangular Bandage, 40"x40"x56"
10 Towelette, Benzalkonium Chloride
10 Towelette, Alcohol
20 Butterfly Closures
2 Eye Wash, 4oz
2 Cloth Tape Roll, 1"

Medications
Qty Item
12 Aspirin, 325 mg Tablet (I would replace with 81mg Children's Chewable more versatile)
12 Acetaminophen, 325 mg Tablet
12 Ibuprofen, 200 mg Tablet
12 Diphenhydramine, 25 mg Capsule
12 Diamode, 2 mg Tablet
12 Diotame, 262mg Tablet
12 Alamag, 300mg Tablet
12 Triple Antibiotic Ointment
12 Hydrocortisone Cream 1%
2 Oral Rehydration Salts
1 Glucose, 25mg Tube

Tools / PPE / Misc
Qty Item
1 Carmex Lip Balm
1 Eye Drops
6 Nitrile Gloves, Pair (Size Large - Most versatile size)
1 Ambu Res-Cue Key CPR Shield (I am never breathing for someone not related to me with anything like that, If they happen to be related to me I am still not using that. If they are in Cardiac Arrest I am not going to be breathing for them anyway just pumping chest til the appropriate gear shows up with people who can help.)
1 EMT Shears
1 Tweezers
1 Duct Tape Roll, 2"x5yd

Just my thoughts, hope it helps let me know if you have questions. Add 2 sources of light to the kit.

kerplode
11-12-09, 15:28
Thanks...I appreciate the input! I'll get the list updated with your suggestions.

And yeah, I totally forgot about light sources. How does a small AA flashlight w/ spare battery plus a white chem light sound?

Updated contents list:
Moved to post #1

PPGMD
11-12-09, 15:50
And yeah, I totally forgot about light sources. How does a small AA flashlight w/ spare battery plus a white chem light sound?

Headlamp for close in stuff, and a Surefire G2L or something similar for far away stuff. Put lithium batteries in both (since you shouldn't be using the light source except for an emergency, the batteries should have a long shelf life).

Also for storage get a pack with two sections, put the boo-boo stuff in one compartment, and the trauma stuff in another. Two purposes, so trauma stuff doesn't gets taken for minor stuff, and second, so you don't have to sort through boo-boo stuff to get to the life saving stuff.

Also the tourniquets should be quick to get to, they should be on, or near the outside.

kerplode
11-12-09, 16:41
Thanks for the input! I think a CR123 powered light would be nice for the house kit, but I'm hesitant to leave lithium ion batteries in my car for fear they could overheat in the summer and start a fire. That concern may be overblown, though...I'll have to do some more research.

I picked up a couple decent packs at a local surplus-store that have three sections, one large one plus two smaller ones. My plan is to stick the trauma and burn stuff in the large section, the boo-boo stuff and meds in one small section, everything else in the other. I think it'll work, but I won't know for sure until I get all the components gathered.

PPGMD
11-12-09, 17:06
Thanks for the input! I think a CR123 powered light would be nice for the house kit, but I'm hesitant to leave lithium ion batteries in my car for fear they could overheat in the summer and start a fire. That concern may be overblown, though...I'll have to do some more research.

I picked up a couple decent packs at a local surplus-store that have three sections, one large one plus two smaller ones. My plan is to stick the trauma and burn stuff in the large section, the boo-boo stuff and meds in one small section, everything else in the other. I think it'll work, but I won't know for sure until I get all the components gathered.

I've left a G2L in my car for about a year now. In the Florida sun. No issues.

kerplode
11-12-09, 17:13
That's good to know! I'm sure they ride all around Iraq in the sun, too. Do you use the Surefire batteries?

Here's the updated list with the light source changes:
Moved to post #1

PPGMD
11-12-09, 19:24
Do you use the Surefire batteries?

I tend to, since they are often the cheapest quality brand.

kerplode
11-13-09, 17:11
Now that I'm starting to collect the stuff for these kits in one place, I think the bags I have are going to be too small. Do any of y'all have any recommendations for decent bags that aren't a ton of money?

Also, what are your thought on adding the following items:
Fine point sharpie
A few safety pins of various sizes
A couple tampons - For their intended use as well as for plugging up puncture wounds

Finally, Kerlix vs. priMed - I was looking at them side by side last night, and the priMed packaging is much more space efficient. Basically, two priMeds will fit in the same space as one Kerlix. I suspect Kerlix is easier to use in an emergency, but is it superior to the point that it warrants the 2x space increase?

Thanks again for the help with this project. It's going to end up being a significant investment, so I want to make sure it's done right.

NinjaMedic
11-13-09, 19:57
Use what you like its all relatively the same stuff, I use Kerlix because it is cheap and readily accesible and works reasonably well, doesnt mean that the PriMED doesnt work as well or better, I have not used it.

GKoenig
11-14-09, 06:42
I would say 3 things:

1- Training trumps gear. Do you have any first responder training? Most community colleges offer inexpensive EMT classes at night. Various outfits offer training to get you some more advanced skills without the EMT-P path. I would also add a stethoscope and sphygmomanometer (blood pressure cuff and yea, I had to check my spelling) along with the skills to use them (pro-tip; annoy your friends by taking their blood pressure in strange environments!). You will be the finest layman medic if you can properly hand off the patient with a clear, detained report of what happened, the vitals and a rundown of exactly what you have done.

2- I might throw in a SAM splint. Nice multitasking piece of kit. Stores easily. Can be used as an improvised C-Collar on almost any size patient. In life, you are FAR more likely to encounter situations where you need to stabilize a C spine as well as you can till the calvary arrives than you will need to be plugging gunshot wounds. I bought a 6 pack of fake SAM Splints off of eBay for around $10 and used them to train with while my real SAM splints are in the kit. You definitely want to be familiar with them before trying to **** with them on the side of a rainy, windy road trying to get the thing around a motorcyclist's neck (ask me how I know...).

3- Big Point; separate the booboo kit from the trauma kit. Two totally different bags. Married or have a girlfriend? I guarantee you every time you take a car ride that lasts for more than 30 minutes, she is gonna probably want something out of the boo boo kit for a headache, or cramps, or a minor cut that a man would ignore, or itchy eyes or some such bullshit. You don't want your trauma gear fagged up with care bear bandaids and menstrual cramp pills because this junk gets in the way when the shit hits the fan.

NinjaMedic
11-14-09, 09:21
Please dont use a SAM Splint for spinal motion restriction. Even with a proper C-Collar, if you are concerned about the need for SMR you should be holding manual inline stabilization until the pt is securely packaged on a long spinal board. A SAM Splint doesnt come close to adequatly stabilizing the cervical spinal column and you are very likely to cause movement in the cervical spinal column while attempting to apply the "C-Collar". Do what is best for the pt and stop the bleeding, call 911, hold manual C-Spine, and reasure the victim. If you are trained and have help you can apply a real c-collar, trust me they dont take up much room. That being said I only carry a c-collar for post advanced airway placement SMR. The rest of the time we hardly ever apply a collar to a pt prior to bringing over a backboard and bag of c-collars/headblocks as they all go together. Manual C-Spine is the way to go.

Iraq Ninja
11-14-09, 11:24
Burns-

Gel packs are getting mixed results over here. We carry them, but also carry the LSP burn towels. You can pour an IV solution (sterile) or water (not) onto the towels to cool it. Once the gel packs get hot, I don't know of a way to cool them down after they are applied.

http://www.spservices.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1453

We also have a roll of saran wrap for burns as well. It works very well from what I have seen.

Can you purchase emOx in the States? We use it instead of bottled O2 due to the IED threat.

NinjaMedic
11-14-09, 17:25
emOx is FDA approved but probably difficult to locate.

MIKE G
11-14-09, 22:21

justpete
11-14-09, 22:31
A Tac-Pack or Individual Battle-Pack (option 1 or 2) http://www.tacticalmedicalpacks.com/ take up very little room and seem to cover all the possible trauma first responder situations one might reasonably expect outside of a war zone I think. I just carry the former as the latter requires much more training than I have and I'm never that far from first responders who do.

Additionally I pillaged some Johnson&Johnson first-aid kits and some stuff from Chinook Medical Supply to put small wound and burn supplies in a vacuum sealed bag like those made by Hefty and sold at wallyworld. Some paper towel, some wet-naps, bion tears or the like, etc. and pretty much everything's covered. One thing I forgot was a mirror, kinda hard to fit a bandaid where the scope bit me once. Betadine wipes, antibiotic packs, burn gel, Tegaderm, gauze squares, bandaids of various types - all cloth, and I forget what all else.

The Tac-Pack and the vacuum sealed ziplock take up very little room and doesn't cost much of anything really. Without experience and training much more seems close to useless or even dangerous so I've tossed the quick-clot (whichever variant it was) and don't bother with splints, cold packs, etc.

FWIW, Pete

PPGMD
11-15-09, 12:11
A Tac-Pack or Individual Battle-Pack (option 1 or 2) http://www.tacticalmedicalpacks.com/ take up very little room and seem to cover all the possible trauma first responder situations one might reasonably expect outside of a war zone I think. I just carry the former as the latter requires much more training than I have and I'm never that far from first responders who do.

The Tac-Pack and the vacuum sealed ziplock take up very little room and doesn't cost much of anything really. Without experience and training much more seems close to useless or even dangerous so I've tossed the quick-clot (whichever variant it was) and don't bother with splints, cold packs, etc.

I wouldn't consider anything but the IBP, and even then I would go with the bigger one. The lower levels don't contain the best items for dealing with gunshot wounds. But the price is rather high at $120. You can put together a better kit for about the same price.

And the pressure dressing they use is one that few recommend because the hook isn't secured very well.

But I agree training is very important, a little training, and you can improvise what you need. But having the right tools makes it easier. Read the story of the medic at Fort Hood, he first attempted to improvise a tourniquet on Munley's leg, that didn't work so he used the CAT.

drrufo
11-15-09, 14:49
If I might I would suggest two small changes.

1.Use the eye wash that comes in the single use tube, Rite Aid carries them, if you open a large bottle you lose all sterility. With the little tubes you always have a sterile one available. I've never needed a full tube to wash out my eyes.

2. Look at flashlights that use AA's not c123 batteries. AA's are all most universal, the other ones may be hard to find. Pelican has a good light, model name is Stealhlite. It carries 4 aa batteries and if you upgrade the light module it will be very, very bright.

PPGMD
11-15-09, 16:18
2. Look at flashlights that use AA's not c123 batteries. AA's are all most universal, the other ones may be hard to find. Pelican has a good light, model name is Stealhlite. It carries 4 aa batteries and if you upgrade the light module it will be very, very bright.

CR123 aren't hard to find. They are at almost any half descent store.

The issue with alkaline batteries is the shelf life, it's much shorter then lithium batteries.

kerplode
11-16-09, 16:02
Training is definitely high on the list. The local community college has a first responder course, but I need to see when it's offered again and how it fits with my work schedule. My girlfriend has a WFR cert, but I only know what I've been reading in manuals and on the internets. Need to fix that for sure. For now, though, I see no harm in collecting the gear.

I'll also look into separating the boo-boo stuff and trauma stuff into two bags. I'd like this entire setup to be as compact as possible, but the two-bag idea has merit and I think my existing bags are going to be too small for everything anyway.

What do y'all think of the Tourni-Kwik TK-4? I was considering using one CAT/SOF and one Tourni-Kwik in the kits to reduce the cost a little. Just outfitting both kits with two SOFs, a G2L, and a decent headlamp in each kit is going to eat about $300. Replacing one SOF with a Tourni-Kwik in each kit saves about $50 I can put towards other components. I might go with incandescent G2s, instead of the LED version as that will reduce cost a bit as well.

Oh, and FWIW, there are very good Lithium AA and AAA batteries available these days...

mcgrubbs
11-18-09, 21:23
Put $$$ and time into getting training, preferably before you go buying gear/supplies. It's highly likely you will change your lists of "needs" once you have seen how to properly render aid.

Alot of civilians tend to get way too wrapped around the axle about GSWs and blow-out kits.

Spade
11-18-09, 22:59
Great thread tagging for later.

kerplode
11-19-09, 12:51
Thanks again for all the input on this project. It's a lot to learn and a lot to collect, but in the end I think it will be time and money well spent.

I'm going to merge the updated contents lists into the first post. We'll loose a bit of the history of how things evolved, but I think it will clean the thread up a bit and make it easier for others to use. From this point forward, the most current list will be in the first post.

Cavalryscout102
01-31-12, 00:07
Howdy!

I have been out of the EMS scene for some time and do not have any knowledge of the Quick Clot except what I read here. Is Quick Clot the brand name or generic name for the type of bandage? Is there restrictions in purchasing it? I se it sold on Ebay and wondered if it was a good idea to buy from there as I don't know if it has an expiration date or not.

Thanks!