PDA

View Full Version : I have a Colt, Now I want a Backup - Opinions Wanted -

forgiven
11-12-09, 03:07
"2 is one, one is none" - is the mindset.

I have a 6920 and have been 100% pleased.

I'm looking for a backup AR15 that will be used if the Colt ever goes down, and possibly be used w/ my CMMG .22 kit for practice.

I have looked over many, many options. I've narrowed it down to 2 groups:
More $:
Daniel Defense
BCM
or.....another 6920...

Less $:
Delton
Stag
CMMG

Let me know what you think..

chadbag
11-12-09, 03:13

You said it.

I would go with one from your first group. You don't have two if the second is from your second group.

12XLR8
11-12-09, 04:17
HaHaHa that's an easy one ...........buy another 6920
:)

rob_s
11-12-09, 06:34
the best backup for the 6920 is the 6933 if your state allows SBRs. In fact, I bet you'll find yourself using the 6933 as the primary and the 6920 will become the backup.

While I agree that "two is one, one is none", I also believe that the "two" do not have to be identical twins. Fraternal twins, or even cousins, would be fine. Keep the stock, grip, forend and sighting system functionally similar just for familiarities sake and so that training with one feels the same as training with the other and you'll be fine.

A Tale of Two Carbines (http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/8301/11801.html)
I still have both of these guns, and while I don't shoot either of them much and they both have undergone some changes in the stock/grip department (and I wouldn't build them like this today) the concepts are still sound.

CobraBG
11-12-09, 08:29
HaHaHa that's an easy one ...........buy another 6920
:)

+1 ...that's what I want to do now that the prices are down.

C4IGrant
11-12-09, 09:20

I have a 6920 and have been 100% pleased.

I'm looking for a backup AR15 that will be used if the Colt ever goes down, and possibly be used w/ my CMMG .22 kit for practice.

I have looked over many, many options. I've narrowed it down to 2 groups:
More $:
Daniel Defense
BCM
or.....another 6920...

Less $:
Delton
Stag
CMMG

Let me know what you think..

Since you have a carbine gas system, I woul look to get a middy. This means that BCM wins.

C4

Mung
11-12-09, 09:38
"2 is one, one is none"

Does that mean four is two? :confused:

Don't forget Noveske.

M4arc
11-12-09, 10:13
If it were me, and it has been, I'd get a complete BCM Mid-Length carbine for your backup.

However, I have a feeling that you'll end up liking it so much it will soon be your primary ;)

Jay Cunningham
11-12-09, 10:23
Buy another 6920.

I mean, why not? They won't ever be cheaper. You'll buy a third AR eventually anyway, and that one can be a bit more exotic.

But I am old-school.

:p

bnanaphone
11-12-09, 10:36
I would absolutely stick with your first selection of choices for your next rifle. I would also suggest heeding the advice from the knowledgeable people here when it comes to an SBR. I currently have two rifles, BCM Middy 16" and a Bushmaster varminter 24". If I could do it all over again knowing what I know now, it would be an 11.5" BCM and an 18" SPR. The SBR will give you all of the manerverability form a compact package and the SPR will let you stretch the legs on the 5.56 rounds, if you so choose. This is just my perspective though.

Stick with a good rifle and think about what you want to accomplish with a second.

My $.02

Mjolnir
11-12-09, 11:27
You said it.

I would go with one from your first group. You don't have two if the second is from your second group.
Quit reading my mind, eguns... ;)

forgiven
11-12-09, 12:32
Maybe an FN Scar would do?

Nevermind, the price at the local shop is $2,699 + tax, goodness I could have 2 Colts and an AK for that price!

scottryan
11-12-09, 13:49
Right now, it is hard to not go with a Colt given how the prices fell if you want a carbine length system.

I also like the 6933 idea.

SCB 57
11-12-09, 14:42
I might have to do the 6933, as I've been thinking about a SBR my self.

Savior 6
11-12-09, 17:02
That should give you just enough difference to appreciate them both and still keep you happy with the similarities.

WVBartMan
11-12-09, 18:08
What's the price comparison of the 6920 verses the 6933?

Col_Crocs
11-12-09, 18:46
I like Rob's suggestion on getting an SBR. Makes good sense. Although personally, almost being on the same boat, I would want to get a BCM hammer forged middy. :)
-- Good brand, good barrel type, good gas system, Good BCG.

RogerinTPA
11-12-09, 19:52
As cheap as 6920s are going, I'd get another AND, a BCM Middy.

SCB 57
11-12-09, 20:49
What's the price comparison of the 6920 verses the 6933?

6933 @ $1800. new.

NoBody
11-12-09, 21:14
Ditto. If you're pleased with your 6920 then buy a second. If it ain't broke... ;)

COLT6933
11-12-09, 22:08
6933 @ $1800. new.

The 6933 does not cost that much even when you figure in the tax stamp

I also suggest going with an SBR. The SBR is my primary go to carbine. I resisted the urge for years and just stuck with my 6920's. However be warned that once you get your first NFA weapon it will not be your last. I now own multiple 6933's and only 1 6920.

ZGXtreme
11-12-09, 22:43
6933 @ $1800. new.

$1,495 at Clyde's (https://policeguns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=16_236&products_id=5702&osCsid=sc38f6du8109en4aq4ithd3kd3) right now. Unless you are adding the Stamp and FFL fees as well.

DTHN2LGS
11-13-09, 02:48
BCM midlength.

12XLR8
11-13-09, 03:08
Colt holds it's price incase you ever decide to sell...........
Name brand that's reputable ( COLT):)

dbrowne1
11-13-09, 11:00
I'd consider BCM or LMT if you're looking to spend a little less. Both are first rate guns that, while not a Colt, come pretty darn close.

I'm in the same boat as rob_s. I had run nothing but Colt 16" guns for years and got a complete LMT SBR a little while back, and now that has become my "primary." It's light, handy, balances well, and shoots better groups off a rest at 200 yards than the 16" Colt that was my main gun before.

Phazuka
11-13-09, 11:13
+1 for the Colt. Either 20 or 33, both are g2g.

I'm doing the same next after a dmr upper, getting another 6920 or a 33. I haven't got an sbr yet so that's something i need to get done, the paperwork.

Al U. 5811
11-13-09, 12:37
Who has the best Colt prices right now?

INDIANAGUNMAN
11-13-09, 19:40
I would buy a RRA. All if the 3 letter agencies have and no complaints yet. I got 3 of thier weapons,2 rifles and a carbine and dont have any either! Customer service is great. Ihad a problem withmy FSP ,called them up and BJ sent UPS to get it and i got it back in about a week with a new FSP at no cost for shipping to or from nada. He was telling us about the new SBR's in government models they were making and they sound sweet! They also make them in carbines. I also got a Bushy,Stag,LMT,and a Dpms. I really like my RRA NMA2 alot and cant beat the entry tactical IMO. I might get one of the new SBR's for the wifey,and it would look good with my LMT w/11.5 in barrel and my Advanced Armament can. Any way you go man have fun with it!

SWATcop556
11-14-09, 00:02
BCM always gets my vote.

I run a mid-length as a patrol rifle and an 11.5 for tac team. Same optics, lights, grips, rails, and VGs.

The only difference us the color and I run a UBR on my mid-length and a CTR on my SBR.

INDIANAGUNMAN
11-14-09, 06:13
I really like my UBR also! One of my 20 inch rifles has a PRS and its great too. But as RRA, you cant beat it for the price and I have put one of mine through hell and about 10,000 rounds downrange(with regular maint.) so far and no problems that werent a magazine or ammo issue. Mine doesnt like Wolf ammo and to be honest I wont run it in any of of my rifles or carbines. I run a KAC VG,A mixture of both Sure fire and Streamlight tac lights,Both DD and Surefire rails,Aimpoint and 2 ACOGs on 3 of my carbines ,a Vortex on another one,and a Trijicon Reflex on one. All the carbines have Magpul BUIS or an ARMS40L and Magpul.

rob_s
11-14-09, 07:48
I may be alone on this, but I would much rather have a 6920 and a 6933 with quality optics, lights, and slings and several training classes, than three RRAs, a Bushy,Stag,LMT,and a Dpms, and an Advanced Armament can.

but that's probably just me. ;)

INDIANAGUNMAN
11-14-09, 09:07
I really like my UBR also! One of my 20 inch rifles has a PRS and its great too. But as RRA, you cant beat it for the price and I have put one of mine through hell and about 10,000 rounds downrange(with regular maint.) so far and no problems that werent a magazine or ammo issue. Mine doesnt like Wolf ammo and to be honest I wont run it in any of of my rifles or carbines. I run a KAC VG,A mixture of both Sure fire and Streamlight tac lights,Both DD and Surefire rails,Aimpoint and 2 ACOGs on 3 of my carbines ,a Vortex on another one,and a Trijicon Reflex on one. All the carbines have Magpul BUIS or an ARMS40L and Magpul.Sorry for the double post please remove

justin_247
11-14-09, 12:31
+1 for the 6933. That'd be wicked!

As for IndianaGunMan... I dunno if you realize this or not, but RRA, Bushmaster, Stag, and DPMS aren't exactly well regarded on this site. This isn't TOS.

metroATL
11-14-09, 13:26
As a new person to the site, forgive if this has been explained, but WHY the many votes for a SBR to compliment a 16 inch? I am interested in owning one myself but much of that interest is due to the novelty of owning something that may well be "forbidden" in the next few years. What are the differences in tactical applications vs a 16 inch and how does one decide which rifle becomes the primary vs backup ?If I understand the posts in this thread, I have read that each rifle is "better" as a primary. Again, forgive, if this has been answered. I read this thread after just returning from a 30 mile sprint on a bike and my brain may just be as dead as my legs.

Thx in advance for the info!

dbrowne1
11-14-09, 13:29
I may be alone on this, but I would much rather have a 6920 and a 6933 with quality optics, lights, and slings and several training classes, than three RRAs, a Bushy,Stag,LMT,and a Dpms, and an Advanced Armament can.

Nope, you're definitely not alone.

Beware the man with only a few guns. He probably knows how to use them.

ST911
11-14-09, 13:30

No, it isn't.

JBecker 72
11-14-09, 14:32
I dunno if you realize this or not, but RRA, Bushmaster, Stag, and DPMS aren't exactly well regarded on this site.

not to thread jack, but why is that?
Ive had nothing but good luck with my Stag 2H upper.

I really want a Colt or BCM tho.

kwelz
11-14-09, 14:34

No you are not alone :D

not to thread jack, but why is that?
Ive had nothing but good luck with my Stag 2H upper.

I really want a Colt or BCM tho.

2 main reasons. Lack of quality control and lack of quality parts.
It isn't that these companies CAN'T make good rifles. It is that they choose not to. A DPMS AP4 will cost you around 800-900 and you can get a 6920 for around 1000. the AP4 has almost none of the important features of the Colt but is only a bit cheaper.

I was once one of the idiots that tried to save a few bucks. Right before the panic I purchased a Bushmaster for about 75 bucks less than I could have got an LMT defender for. STUPID. And I have been shooting ARs for years. But one year on here has taught me more than I learned in 10 years on other sites and though listening to my LGS.

SWATcop556
11-15-09, 00:54

I agree as well but I am curious as to why you have LMT on your list. I have no complaints with mine when I had it. All I have now is the registered lower.

No issues just wanted to BCM and the 11.5

Beat Trash
11-15-09, 06:20
Buy another 6920.

I mean, why not? They won't ever be cheaper. You'll buy a third AR eventually anyway, and that one can be a bit more exotic.

But I am old-school.

:p

Another vote for a 6920, from another old-school shooter.

Beat Trash
11-15-09, 06:22

Defiantly not alone on this concept.

rob_s
11-15-09, 07:28
I agree as well but I am curious as to why you have LMT on your list.
Because I was quoting someone else and it was on their list.

I have nothing against LMT, I just see no reason for one with BCM available. It sounds like the MIM carrier key issue has been resolved, but what are they going to randomly decide to change next.

As Pat says, those who are not required to hold to a standard rarely do.

Chuck TX
11-15-09, 14:08
My vote would a build around a BCM middy upper.

11-15-09, 17:37
A Colt 6933 would be an excellent BUG to a 6920.

SWATcop556
11-15-09, 17:38
Because I was quoting someone else and it was on their list.

I have nothing against LMT, I just see no reason for one with BCM available. It sounds like the MIM carrier key issue has been resolved, but what are they going to randomly decide to change next.

As Pat says, those who are not required to hold to a standard rarely do.

Very good point. My LMT upper was an older model, which is the same for the BCG, so no MIM carrier key.

I'm now a firm believer and BCM koolaid drinker. :cool: