PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for Kydex AR15 mag pouch with review of others I've tried.

mattmcg
11-12-09, 17:30
I've been searching high and low for a no compromises kydex AR15 mag pouch to attache to a 1.5" Wilderness belt. I've gone through a ton of mag pouches already and found they were faulty or didn't work in one way or another.

What Kydex mag pouches would you guys recommend?

As a synopsis, here is what I have tried so far:

Comp-Tac
The fit with the mag was perfect and allowed for a smooth pull of the mag from the pouch which I liked. The pouch is also adjustable as well to ensure an even tension and identical mag extraction/insertion effort. This part I really liked.
The belt clip unfortunately isn't secure and many a times while on the run, found that frontal pouches would unclip from my belt and hit the deck (with loaded mags, not a pretty sight). These also did not stack up well next to each other given their offset design which meant more belt space was needed to house 3 pouches.
If I could fix the belt clip with a full loop or a Tek-Loc, I'd be happy with them but this option isn't offered by Comp-Tac.

Ready Tactical
The fit with the mag was poor and fit varied substantially between the 3 pouches I tried. This resulted in varying amounts of pull needed between the different pouches to expel the mag. One was particularly tight and required a significant tug to expel the mag. With them being non-adjustable, this variation of effort to expel a mag was a non-starter.
One pouch did not have enough relief cut into the rear spine area and would only allow the mag to be inserted with significant force while having the rear spine shave off the offending kydex area. While this might fix itself over time as the spine shaved off more of the area, you would likely exacerbate the variation of pull needed to expel the mag with any sort of flex to the belt and pouch. Not good.
One of the pouches also had an offset belt clip edge that had this pouch attach at a slightly different angle. This caused a spacing different between the top of the mags when stacked next to each other as the off angle pouch angled its mag forward into the mag forward of it.
These were obviously hand made and it showed with the amount of variation and inconsistency between the 3 I tried. They were promptly returned.

Kytac
I had two made up for me and found that they were loose on the belt and could easily slide back and forth while walking. There was a velcro pouch on the rear which would contain the pouch if I was using a double IPSC belt, but I was looking for something for a combat belt such as the Wilderness so this velcro wasn't useful.
The mag fit also was not very good. The pouch was rounded which led to inconsistent tension with the mag. The mag does have adjustable tension with a single set screw but the variation in mag tension was still noticeable even with the tension screws at their extremes to balance the mag extraction effort.
I think these mag pouches had potential but needed a bit more work to make them an acceptable option.

I will be trying the Blade-Tech Tek-Loc's soon and will see if those work. I'll be testing the Kydex versions and steer clear of the plastic injection molded versions. I'm hoping these are an improvement over what I've used so far but would like to investigate others as well.

nickdrak
11-12-09, 18:20
The Raven Concealment Systems AR mag pouches are by far the best I have tried. I have also tried the blade-tech, and the ready tactical pouches in the past.

JSGlock34
11-13-09, 00:26
I've been pleased with my Bladetechs, but I've been experimenting with the ITW FastMag on a first line rig lately. They also make a version suitable for a riggers belt like the Wilderness now - though not kydex, it is synthetic and maybe worth a try.

Iraq Ninja
11-13-09, 01:15
Is Kytac still in business? Someone else seems to have bought their .com address.
I know he is a one man show and can be slow.

Raven is very very good too, but possibly still with a wait to get what you need. Does their mag pouch have the problem with breaking the belt loops that some of their holsters have? That is the only complaint I have ever heard about their kit.

Anything that is plastic injection molded is very prone to breakage. You are smart to stay clear of those.

rob_s
11-13-09, 05:35
Sucks to hear you had a bad experience with RT. I have at least 4 of their pouches and within our club we probably have 10-20 more running around on my recommendation.

The shaving issue you report would be unacceptable to me. The variable tightness issue on drawing them wouldn't phase me in the slightest. In fact I would only expect that really fanatical IPSC shooters or someone that hasn't run them on the range at all would notice that fact unless they are so tight that drawing them causes the belt to ride up or so loose that they fall right out.

While they aren't adjustable with a screwdriver like the clamshell designs, they are adjustable with a heat gun.

I dislike all of the clamshell products with the adjustment screws on one side like the Blade-Tech and the Comp-Tac (can't get the Ky-Tac website to work either). They take up too much space on the belt, but maybe that's just because I'm a skinny bastard wtih no room on my belt to begin with.

I am a huge fan of the Raven Concealment line of holsters, but the way they make their products makes for an even wider pouch than the BT or CT with screws on one side.

I would have contacted SKD immediately on the shaving issue with the RT pouch, and probably the cant issue as well (although I'd be just as likely to fix that myself). I'm confident they would take care of it.

The obvious non-Kydex solution to all of this would be the ITW Fastmags, but having never used them myself I can't recommend them yet. I do have two inbound as part of a larger review I'm working up.

rob_s
11-13-09, 05:38
Probably not what you want, but have you considered leather?

rob_s
11-13-09, 06:00
While a fan of the RT, I would not advocate their use in any kind of professional environment either. I use a lot of RT products and have never had one break but I am also aware of that location as a failure point as well.

believeraz
11-13-09, 06:01
I'm currently using a pair of Blade-tech tech-lock M4 mag carriers. They're outstanding, as far as speed and durability goes. I'm not a huge tech-lock fan, but they're functional for my needs. I'd prefer a belt loop, but that's on me for not ordering them that way. I highly recommend Blade-tech. My BT G19 holster and mag carriers are nearly 10 years old, and my M4 carriers are at least 4-5 years old, and no matter how hard I've worked them, I've never had an issue.

I had a Ready Tactical M4 mag carrier (and three pistol mag carriers). RT's products were ok for casual or occasional carry, but they did not stand up to hard use. Every RT mag carrier I had eventually broke at the top of the kydex fold, where it bends back to go over the belt. I can't recommend the RT mag carriers, based on my experience with them.

Derek_Connor
11-13-09, 07:46
I've had great success with a custom outfit out of Atlanta "Tactical Kydex".

No website, just email what you want and he gets done for a very fair price and turn around time.

I asked him to drop these a bit off the center of the belt (he made the 1911 pouches as well):

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/4619/dsc07768large.jpg

mattmcg
11-13-09, 11:58
Derek, that looks pretty interesting. I'll have to check it out.

Rob_s, I did gain my initial experience through IPSC and do believe residual expectations continue to come from that shooting discipline. That said, a mix of speed with the durability of real use is what I'm actually looking for with this setup.

There definitely seems like there is a market void in this area from what I can tell based upon the recommendations of the group.

mattmcg
11-13-09, 12:08
Derek, a couple of questions about your setup. Are the AR pouches using molded belt loops instead of a clip? Happen to have any pics of the other side? Is that a 1.5" belt as well?

rob_s
11-13-09, 12:34
Rob_s, I did gain my initial experience through IPSC and do believe residual expectations continue to come from that shooting discipline. That said, a mix of speed with the durability of real use is what I'm actually looking for with this setup.

The predominate reason I pointed that out is that I would expect one could make themselves nuts trying to get the exact same resistance on every single pouch. I can imagine someone with 3 or 4 pouches going 'round and 'round in circles trying to get them all to the same point and never getting there.

My RTs all hold the mags sufficiently not to come out when running, and are loose enough not to cause my pants to ride up when drawing them, so I'm happy enough with them for my uses.

GLOCKMASTER
11-14-09, 11:08
I have great success with Bladetech, the Brownells version of the Bladetech and the Safrailand kydex pouch. All have held up well.

Beebo
11-14-09, 11:20
For those of you that run bladetech, which attachment would you recommend for a 1.5" riggers belt?

I've been running the Raven concealment, and have been very pleased.

GLOCKMASTER
11-14-09, 23:53
For those of you that run bladetech, which attachment would you recommend for a 1.5" riggers belt?

I've been running the Raven concealment, and have been very pleased.

I have been using the Tec Loc attachment.

8200rpm
11-15-09, 01:57
I can imagine someone with 3 or 4 pouches going 'round and 'round in circles trying to get them all to the same point and never getting there.

I've sailed that boat with the Comp-Tac Beltfeed for IPSC.

It took about half an hour, but I was able to get them to release with approximately the same tension. Despite the conjoined construction, EACH pouch is independently adjustable.

Overall, I was pleased with the workmanship. It's really disappointing to hear that the Comp-Tac pouch flew off the hip. Maybe if they used simple over locking clips/tab like their locking paddle holster, it would improve retention. I'd prefer a design that could be clipped on securely while maintaining a tight profile over a loop design which requires your belt to be undone.

The saving grace for the Beltfeed was that it has two belt clips several inches apart. When on the belt, the entire holster bends around the contours of your hip and increases tension against your belt.