PDA

View Full Version : Help me flesh out this upper.

Phazuka
11-13-09, 00:06
What i'm going for is a continuous rail like a DD lite, 13.7in WOA match barrel w/ matching bolt, noveske brake permanently installed, mbus front and rear and a DMS1 in a larue spr.

What I'm trying to figure out is what length rail do I need to get it flush with the start of the noveske brake w/ the 13.7in barrel to get an oal of 16 inches? Do I need the DD lite 9.0, 10.0 or 12.0? I was thinking the 10.0 would get it as close to the start of the noveske brake as the other 3. thoughts?

ETA: My math is bad and I'm thinking I need a 12.0 now if hte bbl is 13.7. wish i had stayed awake in math class.

Belmont31R
11-13-09, 00:25
A 12" rail would put you approx 1" exposed barrel.

Phazuka
11-13-09, 00:48
Thanks belmont. Does this setup sound a bit nose heavy?

Also, are there any other barrel choices in the same length but lighter and less expensive?

Belmont31R
11-13-09, 01:08

Also, are there any other barrel choices in the same length but lighter and less expensive?

That barrel length is going to be hard to find many choices in.

You could get the N4 lite upper, and then have ADCO cut it down an inch. Its similar to a gov profile, and would save quite a bit of weight. Those stainless barrels you are looking at shoot great but are pigs in the weight department (although a 13.7" won't be too bad).

It also depends on what optic and stock you are going to run. A SOPMOD would balance better with the stainless barrel....A CTR/MOE balances better with a gov profile or one similar to gov profile.

Phazuka
11-13-09, 10:41
That barrel length is going to be hard to find many choices in.

You could get the N4 lite upper, and then have ADCO cut it down an inch. Its similar to a gov profile, and would save quite a bit of weight. Those stainless barrels you are looking at shoot great but are pigs in the weight department (although a 13.7" won't be too bad).

It also depends on what optic and stock you are going to run. A SOPMOD would balance better with the stainless barrel....A CTR/MOE balances better with a gov profile or one similar to gov profile.

I'll probably run an ACS stock and DMS1 scope with a Larue SPR.

spamsammich
11-13-09, 13:04

that setup will be VERY nose heavy. The KX3 weighs about half a pound and a medium contour 14.5" barrel like my Noveske afghan weighs about 2 lbs. Without a pig, this barrel feels VERY nose heavy even with a ACS. I have a 14.5" lmt with a 12 inch rail and even with the long rail it feels lighter and more balanced than my Noveske with a 10" lite rail. I would not choose your configuration, it may look cool but you get an awkward, nose heavy rifle, with less muzzle velocity and no flash supression. Seems like you're trying to build an SPR type rifle, why not consider a 16" mid barrel?

Phazuka
11-13-09, 13:14
that setup will be VERY nose heavy. The KX3 weighs about half a pound and a medium contour 14.5" barrel like my Noveske afghan weighs about 2 lbs. Without a pig, this barrel feels VERY nose heavy even with a ACS. I have a 14.5" lmt with a 12 inch rail and even with the long rail it feels lighter and more balanced than my Noveske with a 10" lite rail. I would not choose your configuration, it may look cool but you get an awkward, nose heavy rifle, with less muzzle velocity and no flash supression. Seems like you're trying to build an SPR type rifle, why not consider a 16" mid barrel?

DMR-ish type rifle. Which 14.5 inch barrel in regular m4/govt profile would be the best for a tactical/target type platform, mainly for intermediate ranges 100-300. Chrome lined or none chromed lined for accuracy and long term use.

I was thinking, go with an M4 type barrel, have it cut to allow the pig to max out at 16.1 OAL and have the DD lite end right at the start of the pig. THen I can allow for a light and a grip pod.

What other barrel configuration would be best for this setup? 14.5in mid-length gas system? THen have it custom cut to allow for the pig permanently attached?

spamsammich
11-13-09, 13:28
just to be clear, I think a KX3 is a poor choice for this application. It is heavy, intended to work with shorter barrels (10.5-12.5"), and offers little to flash suppression which to me is a poor choice for a tactical platform. I would re-think the configuration. I have 2 rifles with permanently attached flash hiders and do not recommend going that route. If you really want a DMR type upper, I'd start with a 16" middy. Probably not what you want to hear, sorry.

docsherm
11-13-09, 13:32
I just built an upper for a friend of mine. 13.7 barrel with a KX3 and a Troy 13.5 rail. The rail goes to the base of the KX3 were it meets the barrel. It looks good. It is heavy but not too bad. I can post a pic when I get home.

Phazuka
11-13-09, 13:52
just to be clear, I think a KX3 is a poor choice for this application. It is heavy, intended to work with shorter barrels (10.5-12.5"), and offers little to flash suppression which to me is a poor choice for a tactical platform. I would re-think the configuration. I have 2 rifles with permanently attached flash hiders and do not recommend going that route. If you really want a DMR type upper, I'd start with a 16" middy. Probably not what you want to hear, sorry.

I'm definitely open to options.

What kind of barrel profile would you suggest and what kind of comp/FH?

spamsammich
11-13-09, 13:54
oh yeah, the guys at Rainier are big fans of the PWS FSC556 brake if you want a hybrid of a FS/brake.

spamsammich
11-13-09, 14:00
I'm actually a big fan of the A2 flash hider if I want to keep things simple. I have run a Vortex, Phantom 5 slot, and Blackout SPR/M4 mount. The Vortex and Blackout are amazing with flash suppression but some people find the ringing they produce to be objectionable. I don't notice it until the mag runs dry.

IMO, if you want an accurate SS barrel, the Noveske 16.1" barrel (recon?) is pretty damned tough to beat, or if you can get that WOA in a mid contour 16" barrel, that should be pretty good. M4 profile barrels are useless to me, I don't own a M203 and will never use that notch, I'd rather have an N4 profile barrel if I wanted something light weight. again, just my $.02. Oh yeah, I've been reading good things about BCM SS barrels, I think USMC03 runs one, ask him about them.

docsherm
11-13-09, 14:27
https://webmail.us.army.mil/attach/IMG00040-20091112-1440.jpg?sid=&mbox=INBOX&uid=3296&number=2&filename=IMG00040-20091112-1440.jpg

Here is the pic

docsherm
11-13-09, 14:29
What are you looking for in this upper? What do you want to use it for. It seems like you are all over the place on this. It might help narrow it down if you get us more info.

Phazuka
11-13-09, 17:16
https://webmail.us.army.mil/attach/IMG00040-20091112-1440.jpg?sid=&mbox=INBOX&uid=3296&number=2&filename=IMG00040-20091112-1440.jpg

Here is the pic

Not seeing the pic.

Phazuka
11-13-09, 20:40
What are you looking for in this upper? What do you want to use it for. It seems like you are all over the place on this. It might help narrow it down if you get us more info.

1. intermediate range
2. variable power optics
3. 1 or less moa at 100yds
4. mid weight
5. possibly piston driven

I was eyeing the LMT and ST piston uppers and they look compatible with the type of optics I want to mount. The barrel doesn't have a step cut and are govt profile under the handguards. Do piston systems effect accuracy?

spamsammich
11-13-09, 20:46
You're probably going to end up with a really heavy barreled piston upper if you intend on sticking to that accuracy requirement. Molon has really good writeups here and on TOS regarding different barrels and their accuracy. Read up. I'm sure others will be willing to chime in with notes on accuracy of piston uppers. Most reviews that I have read do not meet your accuracy requirement.

Phazuka
11-13-09, 22:55
Scratch the piston idea then. Already have a piston rig, a Sig 556 classic.

decodeddiesel
11-14-09, 10:41
Lots of great 16" and 18" Recce and SPR type uppers at Bravo Company.

Their stainless midlength 16" barrel looks like a winner and would work well in the role you are looking to fill.

Phazuka
11-14-09, 11:38
Lots of great 16" and 18" Recce and SPR type uppers at Bravo Company.

Their stainless midlength 16" barrel looks like a winner and would work well in the role you are looking to fill.

That is a great looking upper and the price is right too!

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/BCM-URG-MID16%20SS410%20DDL12-3.jpg

Carbine length gas system SS upper (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid16%20ss410%20ddl12.htm)

I'm still looking for the mid length gas system, not finding it in SS. The page at the top says features include mid lenght gas system but in the ad for the barrel features it says it's a car length gas system.

Beebo
11-14-09, 11:41
I've got a GTS custom Noveske Infidel build with the 10.0" M4 rail and KX3 perm. attached. It is a midlength gas system and that upper weighs less than my Sabre middy with 9" Troy rails. I've been contemplating putting it up in the EE. PM me if you are interested.

Edit: Just noticed you said you wanted continuous rail, and the M4 rail is not that, but I'm not sure if the Lite rail would fit over the pig if the pig is permanently attached. Anyone know?

decodeddiesel
11-14-09, 12:47
That is a great looking upper and the price is right too!

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/BCM-URG-MID16%20SS410%20DDL12-3.jpg

Carbine length gas system SS upper (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid16%20ss410%20ddl12.htm)

I'm still looking for the mid length gas system, not finding it in SS. The page at the top says features include mid lenght gas system but in the ad for the barrel features it says it's a car length gas system.

Actually that one you posted is a middy.

BCM SS410™ 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ Daniel Defense Lite 12" Handguard 1/8 Twist