PDA

View Full Version : OK, so now I'm having second thoughts about what I ordered...

me1911
03-04-07, 19:41
...since this will be my first "homeland security" rifle and possibly my last (if a ban is passed) I'm now wondering if I should order the RRA LAR 10 instead of the RRA Elite CAR A4. I'll be using it primarily for targets and HD. The LAR 10 can be "downloaded" for target shooting and HD, plus you'd have a little better long range rifle and more stopping power with hotter loads. The .308 is such a good all around/versatile load. On the negative side, the RRA LAR 10 isn't available yet and may not be until summer at the earliest or perhaps winter at the latest, while the AWB looms. If I hold out for the LAR 10 I just may end up with nothing. In other words, I have a slight preference for the LAR 10, but it's a crap shoot. Should I just stick with the Elite CAR A4? What would you do?

Tom

kel3at
03-04-07, 20:38
I wouldn't count on seeing any LAR-10's till next year.

dubb-1
03-04-07, 21:49
Nah, you're good.

LOKNLOD
03-04-07, 23:34
Not to mention there's no guarantee that the LAR10 will work right enough to trust it as your "go to" gun. If I was going to invest in a rifle that might end up being my one and only, it's going to be something more proven than that. You're fine with the regular CAR.

cannoncocker
03-05-07, 08:22
I always have doubts about my purchases, but it is a healthy thing. It is also why I have so many damn 1911s and ARs! You could the 5.56 rifle and then get a 6.8 SPC upper for more punch. I did....:D

C4IGrant
03-05-07, 09:42
I think there are better choices out there for serious use than RRA. AR10's by ANY manufacturer do not have a proven track record IMHO as being the most reliable.

If you look at every battle rifle that uses the 308 (762), what kind of gas system is it using??? This would be called a clue. ;)

C4

paradoc
03-05-07, 11:02
I prefer the AR 15 platform as parts are plentiful and it is absolutely user configurable, plus the AR15/M16 family has a 40+ year combat history and industry been driven by user demand to refine it constantly.

My choice for any .30 cal rifle would also be a proven battle rifle, mainly the M1 Garand.

9DivDoc
03-05-07, 22:43
I would stick with the AR15 as it is proven...there is good quality surplus ammo
still available and tons of spare parts,accesories and mags that work well...and more stuff on the way (P Mags for example)

Then there is also Masada out on the horizon

Stick with the 223/556

For my money any other rifle caliber other than 22LR would be a short handy reliable bolt gun..

imo

Sid Post
03-06-07, 21:17
I upgraded my .223 pea shooter to 6.5 Grendel. 6.8SPC is an easy upgrade too.

Zeef
03-07-07, 03:57
I'm not going to look up RRA models.

Opt for one with a heavy chrome-lined barrel, flat top, collaps stock AND AN EOTECH ! Gotta have light- and with light, bigger the better.
Forget lazers. The shit already hit the fan if you need one.

rob_s
03-07-07, 05:29
Opt for one with a heavy chrome-lined barrel, flat top, collaps stock AND AN EOTECH !
I'll deviate and say lightweight barrel and Aimpoint.

I do not understand people's facination with the heavy barrels for defensive carbines.

rob_s
03-07-07, 05:31
I spoke with one of Rock River's engineers at SHOT and asked him how they were rectifying the bolt failure problem Bushmaster had on the RRA-designed LAR10. His response? "What bolt failure problem?" To say that this concerns me is an understatement. He went on to tell me how the bolt failure problem at BM was blown way out of proportion on the internet and how it was a non-issue. When I asked him why, then, did BM pull the rifle, he replied "they priced it too high".

It remains to be seen if RRA can succeed where BM failed, but denying known design flaws before the rifle is even out seems like a bad idea to me.