PDA

View Full Version : Installing Magpul ASAP how to re-stake?

dtibbals
11-13-09, 10:51
I am going to be installing a Magpul ASAP on the back of a new LMT rifle I am picking up. Since the castle nut is staked I know its going to be a bitch to get it off but once I reinstall should I use a new castle nut? If I do or don't should I re-stake and if so how?

C4IGrant
11-13-09, 10:54
I am going to be installing a Magpul ASAP on the back of a new LMT rifle I am picking up. Since the castle nut is staked I know its going to be a bitch to get it off but once I reinstall should I use a new castle nut? If I do or don't should I re-stake and if so how?

Use the existing castle nut and re-stake. Get a punch and drive metal into the slot in the castle nut.

C4

mgerencs
11-13-09, 10:54

The ASP is a bit different from a normal end plate. It has a different shape and at some points has a little larger OD. You may have only one notch on your castle nut to stake to. I've installed 2 and found this to be true for 1 of my installations.

LonghunterCO
11-13-09, 11:30
The ASP is a bit different from a normal end plate. It has a different shape and at some points has a little larger OD. You may have only one notch on your castle nut to stake to. I've installed 2 and found this to be true for 1 of my installations.

same here on one of my two plate installs.

Belmont31R
11-13-09, 18:05
I use a small nail punch for my stake jobs.

Tap once, and make sure the punch hasnt moved.

Tap once again, and make sure it hasnt moved.

Do this 3-5 more times until the punch has made an indent into the metal so the punch wont slip out.

Hit it again 2-3 times a little bit harder, and you should have a "hole" in the end plate and see metal starting to bulge into the recess of the castle nut.

Hit 3-5 times and check your progress. Repeat if needed.

Once the stake job is done I take a sharpie marker, and push the tip into the stake. Then wipe the top of the end plate off before the ink has dried. The hole should now be black, and you can do the next stake if you can.

Comes out looking factory for me. Just go slow, and hold a tight grip on the punch. I also use a small hammer which gives me more control over the hits.

And yes an ASAP is a little harder to stake as its larger in some areas than a standard end plate.

If you are sure you are not going to be changing anything out for a long time I would also put a drop of blue locktite on the inside of the castle nut. A little heat will break the seal if you ever want to remove the end plate, and blue is the weaker locktite. Red or green may cause a bit of difficulty getting the castle nut loose.

Slippers
11-13-09, 19:52
I would not use loctite under any circumstances. It can cause the threads of the receiver extension to be destroyed when you try to remove the castle nut.

Basically, the castle nut grabs onto the receiver extension, causing it to turn with the nut. The end plate, which has the notch that aligns in the channel through the threads on the extension, stays in place. As the castle nut and receiver extension rotate together, the end plate notch will be pressed against the threads. You can guess which wins out when aluminum is pressed against steel.

There is a very good picture of the results of loctite that has been posted before.

Belmont31R
11-13-09, 20:08
I would not use loctite under any circumstances. It can cause the threads of the receiver extension to be destroyed when you try to remove the castle nut.

Basically, the castle nut grabs onto the receiver extension, causing it to turn with the nut. The end plate, which has the notch that aligns in the channel through the threads on the extension, stays in place. As the castle nut and receiver extension rotate together, the end plate notch will be pressed against the threads. You can guess which wins out when aluminum is pressed against steel.

There is a very good picture of the results of loctite that has been posted before.

Thats why I said to use heat to break the seal.