PDA

View Full Version : Gun vise for checking groups??

Redline
11-13-09, 15:48
I went to the range a few weeks ago and wasn't thrilled with the groups on my Colt mt6400c. South African surplus ammo from the 80s was the worse. UMC was better, and PMC was the best. But I think I was still well over 2 inches on the groups. I didn't take any of my Federal Gold Medal but I might next time.

I wanna try a gun vise for checking my group sizes. I have never used one but a lot of guys at the range are using them. I thought these things were mostly for cleaning and setting up a scope. But I guess they make some for steady shooting????? Looking back now, there are several things I could have improved on that might have given me better results. What do you think? Do you think I would benefit from a vise setup or should I just save my money and fix the issues below? If you do like vises, which one do you recommend?

1)I used a shooting bag filled with rice but I didn't have enough rice in it and after a few shots it would flatten it's shape a bit making me have to constantly adjust after 2 or 3 shots. I know that doesn't help because what you want is consistency. I need to fill this thing till it's stiff.

2)I could see my pulse move the point of aim. Getting older and out of shape so the pulse is a bit more pronounced. I could have probably used a shoulder pad I have for shooting heavy calibers. That would have probably aliviated the pulse problem some.

3)Then there is the NC Star scope I used. I heard they suck after I bought mine. I think next time I will try a Bushnell Buckhorn 3-9x 32mm that I have. It's cheap but I have used it before on an M1A and another AR and I recall it was ok for this task. It is on a B-Square mount that screws into the top of the carry handle.

4)I used a cheap rail handguard from KZ instead of the stock non rail hand guards. I am thinking that maybe for this task the smooth rounded guards might be better because they are smoother. My thinking is that the rail type might or might not sometimes catch on the shooting bag seams which would give a slightly different result than if I used the round guards which would probably just slide more smoothly accross the bag.

5)I should have probably used one target frame with several smaller targets on it instead of the single bulls eye I used. That would give me more targets to shoot at before having to change to a new target.

6)There is more play between the upper and lower than my 2 other AR types. Not sure if that's an issue. I have posted here about that in the past. The general consensus was that it is not a big deal if there is some play between the upper and lower. Also, almost everyone said that accu wedges are a waste and at least one person said they might occasionally affect cycling.

What do you think? Thanks for your help.

MarshallDodge
11-13-09, 16:50
1. A good sandbag placed closer to the receiver would help you here. Get the gun well seated into the bag and it will help hold the gun steady. Use a bag at the rear as well.

2. Don't lean your torso on the bench. Just your arms.

3. No experience with NC star except the bad stuff I have read. Get something good with a fine crosshair.

4. Is the handguard free floating?

5. Aim small, miss small. Try shooting at a 1/2" square or 1" black dot against white paper.

6. Upper to lower fit will make a very small difference if at all.

Remember to squeeze the trigger so that each shot surprises you.

Redline
11-14-09, 01:46
Thanks for the great replies to all my points. The rail is not free floating. I sure would like a DD Omega 7 but it's a bit pricy for me right now. I would go for this particular rail cause it is drop in with no mods or smithing required. Anyway, I'm gonna give a try to some of that stuff you mentioned. I didn't think of a rear sand bag before but it makes sense. Thanks so much.

JStor
11-14-09, 11:56
The rice isn't heavy or dense enough. Get some sand and pack it into the bag until it's firm. You could probably use the rice for a rear squeeze type bag, but poly beads would be better there or another sandbag.

Redline
11-14-09, 15:22
The rice isn't heavy or dense enough. Get some sand and pack it into the bag until it's firm. You could probably use the rice for a rear squeeze type bag, but poly beads would be better there or another sandbag.

Thanks. I'll probably do that. I used to have a bigger bag filled with sand. I had it packed and it was nice and firm. Weighed at least 40 lbs I think. I guess I could probably go to Home Depot and get some sand (I don't live near the beach).