PDA

View Full Version : Input on SA 1911s

JC0352
11-13-09, 16:12
in reality SA is a brilliant marketing company that purchased the SA name years ago. It's a smart formula. But I wouldn't take any of their guns.

My skin would crawl every time the NRA would award SA's junky guns pistol of the year awards. :rolleyes: Coinidentally SA is one of their biggest advertisers.

Springfield Armory is good with the advertising scam. Everything they sell is mediocre at best.

The posts I quoted are from the thread addressing problems with the XD, and maybe it's just me, but it seems like some people feel negatively towards SA in general.

I'm curious because a 1911 is next on my list of pistols to have, and from my very limited knowledge I gathered Springfield makes some pretty decent 1911s. From all the reading I've been doing on these boards, some of you are in quite a position of authority to voice sound judgement on particular weapons, and I look forward to hearing what you have to say. To be particular, I was interested in the full sized Loaded model (PX9109LP).

MarshallDodge
11-13-09, 16:32
The loaded runs about $750 if I recall correctly. For the money I think they are a decent gun.

If it were my money I would buy the gun, a case of good ammo, some Chip McCormick Power mags, and take it to some classes.

If it doesn't run Springfield will take care of you.

BLACK LION
11-13-09, 16:44
They use allot of MIM but there're those that swear by thier TRP's.... I like the operator model but I went a different route with my 1911.... I had a frame and slide build done with all Wilson Combat parts...

I would look at Dan Wesson... qaulity 1911 thats soft on the bank account... no MIM to speak of.... STI's are good too...

All depends on what you want, inside and out.

Skter505
11-13-09, 16:49
Springfield has a good rep for their 1911's. From the mc operator
up to the custom shop guns will not dissapoint.

Beebo
11-13-09, 17:11
Check your PM's, sir.

TOrrock
11-13-09, 18:35
Springfield has a good rep for their 1911's. From the mc operator
up to the custom shop guns will not dissapoint.

My experience with Springfield Armory M1911's are generally very favorable.

If someone was looking for a sub $1K 1911, they're hard to beat.

I've owned several of the Mil Spec's, one of the WWII GI model, and currently own and have trained with a 1st. Gen MC Operator.

The MC Operator has been through several classes, including a Pennington CCW high volume class, and a Vickers Tactical 1911 Operators class, and has performed beautifully.

I would advise junking the two piece guide rod they put in their "Loaded" and up guns, and some feel the need to replace the MIM parts. I will eventually get a Vickers FCG from Blue Force Gear at some point.

I would personally recommend looking at the MC Operator or above for a serious hard use 1911 from Springfield. The TRP is a decent gun, I personally don't care for the 20 lpi checkering on the front strap.

DocGKR
11-13-09, 20:06
Depending what you are looking for, SA can be a great option for a .45 ACP 5" barrel 1911.

The SA Milspec 1911 is a good base gun for customizing.

The SA Loaded, TRP, and Operator 1911 models we have seen have often been problematic out of the box--including functional issues, sights falling off, parts breaking. These might be fun range toys, but I am not sure I would want to bet my life on one unless it had proven to work reliably in thorough testing--you get what you pay for...

The SA Pro model 1911 (either PC9111 or PC9111LR if you want a light rail) may be the best factory 1911 for serious use and should be the minimum level of quality for a duty/carry 1911; if you’re not willing to invest that much into the weapon system, don't get a 1911...

The SA Pro Shop does good work on 1911's.

FWIW, I currently carry a SA LW1911 that required substantial work to finally run correctly, as noted here: http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=57950&page=&fpart=1&vc=1

armakraut
11-13-09, 21:27
My hands on experience has been very favorable of their milspec and GI lines. Other than Colt or Springfield I don't know of too many sub-$1000 1911's that are reliably good out of the box.

civilian
11-13-09, 22:55
I have two, one with what I would consider a decent round count (over 2k) and the other that was recently rebuilt by Dave Erickson. Solid guns. Hilton Yam, who knows a thing or two about the 1911 platform, also seems to like a few of their models, to include running a couple of special orders through the custom shop. The custom shop itself does solid work, and performed minor updates on my 2k plus Loaded Operator. Comments are nothing without actual time on target and I suspect you'll see a ton of negative posts from people who assume they know something about a weapon, despite probably having never owned the weapon or even shot more than a dozen rounds through them.

http://www.pbase.com/ashinoyu/image/111155660/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/ashinoyu/image/111164371/large.jpg

Bowser
11-13-09, 23:08
What about Kimber's? I also understand they use MIM parts as well. But for those who have run your Kimbers through classes and such, were there any problems I should be aware with?

civilian
11-13-09, 23:12
My shooting buddy has gone through 3 Kimbers and ended up dumping them due to various feeding and extraction issues. We took a course together at the Sig Academy via Range 82 here in VA and observed a gent in that course have a number of issues with his Kimber and ultimately had to go to his second gun. I've never owned one, but based on my buddy's experiences, I've kept away from them since (for me) the Springfields I've owned have given me good service.

Vash1023
11-13-09, 23:43
i love my MC operator. its a beast but its also the best 1911 ive shot to date.

not like that tauros BS.

my operator has zero play between the slide and frame.

unlike tauros which has a crap ton.

DocGKR
11-14-09, 00:38
I'll take SA any day over Kimber...

Saginaw79
11-14-09, 00:50
I have an SA loaded model that is my go to handgun.

I carry it and even sold of my HK USP since it was collecting dust in the safe once i got the 1911

Bowser
11-14-09, 01:02
I'll take SA any day over Kimber...

Even the Brazilian made ones?

woodandsteel
11-14-09, 01:26
If I can ask a related question, on behalf of a person who is a casual enthusiast, would you recommend a Springfield Armory Loaded Model or the Mil Spec model?

My neighbor has been asking me to go gun shopping with him. He used to be shore patrol (?) in the navy years ago and was issued a 1911. He now wants to buy a 1911 of his own. He has gone window shopping before and has been scared off buy different 1911's that are over $1,000 in price. (he was also shopping at the wrong stores)

I see this as a gun that will be taken out to the range, cleaned and then probably stored in a closet. For that reason, I was thinking about the Springfield Mil Spec. It is relatively inexpensive. And, as my neighbor shoots more, it can be upgraded. But, the Loaded does have some features that may cause him to enjoy shooting it even more.

I am not at all an expert on the 1911. My wife has one, and I want one (eventually, but not now). I do all my handgun shooting with my Glocks.

So, would it be wise to push the neighbor to spend the extra couple hundred bucks on a Loaded Model? Or would he be better off getting the Mil Spec and use the extra cash for ammo and mags?

ThirdWatcher
11-14-09, 08:02
I don't think I've ever had a FTF with my SA TRP (Tactical). My SA GI Pistol (probably built in Brazil by Imbel) is a well-made pistol too. I don't have one (yet) but SA also makes the Professional model for the FBI. Their customer service is GTG.

CaptainDooley
11-14-09, 09:17
To my knowledge all of Springfield's pistols are at least in part made in Brazil - it's just the amount of finishing/fitting they get in Genesseo.

My Loaded was made in Brazil and had some trouble feeding at first. I rang up Springfield and promptly emailed me a shipping label. A week later I had the pistol back and they hand fit the barrel to the slide and the slide to the barrel and polished the feed ramp. 2K rounds later and the pistol is still running like a top...

Mil-Spec v Loaded - my take was that all the enhancements on the Loaded were something I was going to want to do to it anyway and it was cheaper to have it done at the factory before I bought the pistol. Of course, there are better choices for some of the upgrades, but it suited my needs.

rubberneck
11-14-09, 10:42
What about Kimber's? I also understand they use MIM parts as well. But for those who have run your Kimbers through classes and such, were there any problems I should be aware with?

Kimbers have outstanding barrels, slides and frames. The rest of the gun leaves a lot to be desired, especially any series II gun IMHO. If you can find a series I gun swap out the the hammer, sear, disconnecter, ejector, extractor, slide stop, mag release and firing pin stop and you'll end up with a really nice dependable gun, provided a competent smith does the work for you.

rubberneck
11-14-09, 10:55
If I can ask a related question, on behalf of a person who is a casual enthusiast, would you recommend a Springfield Armory Loaded Model or the Mil Spec model?

My neighbor has been asking me to go gun shopping with him. He used to be shore patrol (?) in the navy years ago and was issued a 1911. He now wants to buy a 1911 of his own. He has gone window shopping before and has been scared off buy different 1911's that are over $1,000 in price. (he was also shopping at the wrong stores)

I see this as a gun that will be taken out to the range, cleaned and then probably stored in a closet. For that reason, I was thinking about the Springfield Mil Spec. It is relatively inexpensive. And, as my neighbor shoots more, it can be upgraded. But, the Loaded does have some features that may cause him to enjoy shooting it even more.

I am not at all an expert on the 1911. My wife has one, and I want one (eventually, but not now). I do all my handgun shooting with my Glocks.

So, would it be wise to push the neighbor to spend the extra couple hundred bucks on a Loaded Model? Or would he be better off getting the Mil Spec and use the extra cash for ammo and mags?

Buy the milspec. I can't tell you how many guys I have seen drop down large gobs of cash on the 1911 only to find out that they were happier with some other gun. If you find that you are happy with the gun most good smiths offer a basic upgrade package (trigger job, reliability package and new sights) which will bring the price in line with what you paid for the loaded right out of the gate.

El Mac
11-14-09, 11:13
SAs are solid 1911s. The base models make an excellent platform to build a custom.

The SA custom shop Pro models are as Doc pointed out, first rate pistols and the gold standard for a duty gun. I've been carrying one for about 10 years now and I prefer it over any other pistol. So much so that I bought two, sold off the Sigs/Glocks and remain committed to the 1911 as my sidearm of choice.

SA Custom Shop employees two members of the American Pistolsmith Guild. I don't believe any other custom house comes close to that mark.

woodandsteel
11-14-09, 11:27
Thanks to everyone for their replies to my question.

My gut reaction was to recommend the Mil Spec. Like I said, I don't see this guy using this handgun for much more than the occasional trip to the range.

Next, I will try to talk him into buying an AR. One more voter for our side.

rubberneck
11-14-09, 11:30
SA Custom Shop employees two members of the American Pistolsmith Guild. I don't believe any other custom house comes close to that mark.

Cylinder and Slide has three.

civilian
11-14-09, 11:40
Probably the way I would go if I had to do it all over again. Of course if any of this work requires refinishing the gun, then it might be an issue for a person who wants to get into a 1911 but doesn't want to drop too much coin in the process. The one thing I do know is that with any 1911, be prepared to spend extra money keeping it just right. Shoot great, but in terms of simplicity of running/maintaining, it ain't no Glock!

Buy the milspec. I can't tell you how many guys I have seen drop down large gobs of cash on the 1911 only to find out that they were happier with some other gun. If you find that you are happy with the gun most good smiths offer a basic upgrade package (trigger job, reliability package and new sights) which will bring the price in line with what you paid for the loaded right out of the gate.

trappernana
11-14-09, 11:48
I have a Springfield "Loaded", and I can't complain. You get what you pay for. I also have a Kimber "Eclipse" and there is a obvious differance. But I still trust my life to my "loaded" everyday. Takecare of youself and all of those around you.:D

skipper49
11-14-09, 12:12
I have a SA "Loaded" that has been 100%, although the round count is stiil low.
I also have a new Ed Brown 1911, and while it is an abolute beauty, and I marvel at the workmanship, the SA works just as well (for the time being) as the Brown.
My next 1911 purchase will be a SA "Mil-spec".

Skip

maximus83
11-14-09, 16:20
Depending what you are looking for, SA can be a great option for a .45 ACP 5" barrel 1911.

The SA Milspec 1911 is a good base gun for customizing.

The SA Loaded, TRP, and Operator 1911 models we have seen have often been problematic out of the box--including functional issues, sights falling off, parts breaking. These might be fun range toys, but I am not sure I would want to bet my life on one unless it had proven to work reliably in thorough testing--you get what you pay for...

The SA Pro model 1911 (either PC9111 or PC9111LR if you want a light rail) may be the best factory 1911 for serious use and should be the minimum level of quality for a duty/carry 1911; if you’re not willing to invest that much into the weapon system, don't get a 1911...

The SA Pro Shop does good work on 1911's.

FWIW, I currently carry a SA LW1911 that required substantial work to finally run correctly, as noted here: http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=57950&page=&fpart=1&vc=1

My experiences and views of SA 1911's have been similar (and favorable).

I too own the LW Operator full-sized 1911, and have had custom work done to improve functioning and ensure reliability. But it has been an excellent pistol. I have also owned several of their stock Loaded models, and have put many rounds through one of their Milspecs as well. Currently I own a Loaded that I have had customized by the Springfield Custom shop, and it is probably the most accurate 1911 I've ever fired, plus it has been totally reliable.

Springfields are great 1911s, but like Doc says, if you get their stock models, it is worth investing a few dollar to have them tuned up a bit by a competent gunsmith. And for any who would complain about the need for that tune-up, it's not just Springfields, I would do that with a DW 1911 or ANY mass-produced 1911 that was not a semi-custom or custom pistol that had been carefully hand-tuned and extensively test-fired. It's simply the cost of doing business if you want to carry a 1911, and want to ensure it'll be reliable. 1911's require hand-fitting, and simply take more effort and more expense to keep them running reliably than modern designs.

crusader377
11-16-09, 00:36
My Springfield Loaded is a great pistol. It is very accurate and has always been completely reliable. Only thing I don't like about it is its FLGR.

That said, My father has a Dan Wesson and I think it is a better pistol than my springfield for only a hundred or two hundred more.

Pappabear
11-16-09, 04:26
Own the TRP, awesome gun. Customer service is great. I see the TRP on this thread with a rail, but not the BULL barrel and night sights? Where you get that?

Did they used to make them? I may have to grab one of their Operators. I do not have a 1911 with a rail, and I do want one. Sorry for the slight hijack, but I think you get the Picture- Get SA.

JC0352
11-16-09, 08:46
Gents,
Thanks for all the feedback! When I'm ready to get one of these, I wouldn't hesitate to go the SA route. The Loaded caught my attention because it has features I'm looking for: beaver-tail grip safety, low profile combat style sights, front & rear slide serrations. It would be mainly for the range and possibly some 3-gun. I always wanted one since I was a kid; I'd go to the range with my dad and he would amaze me with how well he could shoot his old Series 70.

G-2
11-16-09, 20:55
Nothing but great experiences with all the Springer 1911's we've owned. Top shelf and outstanding customer service as well.

LONGSWORD
11-17-09, 02:50
Gotta add another +1 for both quality of gun and SA customer service.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll125/Gavin72/1911.jpg

Mine came from the factory with a slightly short front sight, which caused it to shoot roughly 5" high at 25 yards. Dealt with it for two years because it didnt bother me too much, but then decided to call SA and see what they'd do for me.

Turns out they were more than happy to email me a prepaid shipping label (fully insured for $1500), and get the gun back into my hands with brand new front and rear sights (including fresh bright-as-the-sun Trijicon tritium) with a test target inside three weeks. The thing is dead on now, and I'd be hard pressed to find fault with it.

Not to mention that if you buy one of the higher end guns (TRP, MC Operator like mine) with their Armory Kote finish, it's 100% impervious to rust and pretty scratch/holster wear resistant. Despite the shitty iPhone camera pic, you probably couldn't tell that gets carried 5 days a week in a leather IWB holster. The grip screws, however, could use a rust protectant :p

Overall, it kicks the crap out of all of my coworkers' Kimbers with their insta-rust barrels and frames, and in my hands outshoots em all.

M4Fundi
11-17-09, 03:52
I have a TRP Champion coming from SA that should arrive this week or early next week and will tell you how it goes.

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/45Fundi/IMG_4413.jpg
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/45Fundi/IMG_4409_2.jpg
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/45Fundi/IMG_4286.jpg
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/45Fundi/TRPChampioncatalog-2.jpg

plk1222
05-05-10, 15:06
i have a mil-spec, loaded and a champion all a great pistols and the customer service is top notch

WillBrink
05-05-10, 15:40
What about Kimber's?

No thanx. :cool:

QuickStrike
05-05-10, 18:23
Even the Brazilian made ones?

IIRC all frames and slides for SA 1911's are from Imbel in Brazil. They come in various stages of completion. The better ones are mostly finished here.

SpookyPistolero
05-05-10, 19:33
I've got their loaded model. I shot IDPA with it for a while and have found it to be a great piece overall. Certainly reliable, and more accurate than me. Like others have said, MIM parts too often. All I've done to it though is to replace the guide rod with milspec spring.

If I had it to do over again, I'd just get the Mil-spec and be done with it. I still might get the milspec, just cuz. I vastly prefer simplicity whenever possible.

Mil spec + good mags + ammo/training = da bomb

VooDoo6Actual
05-05-10, 19:57
There are several SA 1911's that are excellent blasters.

FBI CRG PRO & MC Operator are my favs.

The loaded & Mil Spec are good base guns for adding your mods and preferances etc.

HTH & good luck on your quest.

JHC
05-05-10, 20:07
My TRP (pictured in my avatar) went from 0-1200 rds flawlessly before I cleaned it. I've got 2500 through it now (yet to have the slightest bobble) and have cleaned it one since 1200 at around 1900. The gun as been the reliability equal of any of my Glock 9mm's. It is at least 2-2.5" (at 25 yds)accurate - as far as I can hold. Surely capable of more. It is superb in every way.

RD62
05-05-10, 20:26
The posts I quoted are from the thread addressing problems with the XD, and maybe it's just me, but it seems like some people feel negatively towards SA in general.

I'm curious because a 1911 is next on my list of pistols to have, and from my very limited knowledge I gathered Springfield makes some pretty decent 1911s. From all the reading I've been doing on these boards, some of you are in quite a position of authority to voice sound judgement on particular weapons, and I look forward to hearing what you have to say. To be particular, I was interested in the full sized Loaded model (PX9109LP).

I had the very model you are thinking of and it was great. Before I knew much about 1911's I had to send it back in on their dime with extremely fast turn around for a tweak. After that it was flawless.

I subsequently personally fitted a EGW angle bore busing, EGW FCG, Ed Brown GI style guide rod and plug, solid trigger, and S&A flat magwell and blended it to the frame.

The gun ran great, and I used it as my sidearm in an EAG Carbine Class with zero issues.

I used CMC Powermags, Wilson 47D's, and the factory mags refitted with Wilson Rebuild kits with no problems.

Are they a $2K Custom gun? No. Can they run very well. Yes.

-RD62

Scarecrow01
05-05-10, 20:42
Regarding the SA Pro (pc9111lr), my weapon has run without any issue for me. I've ran that thing in so many hard, high round count courses and it has never gave me any issues (except for running without gloves... that 20lpi checkering will dig in after awhile!). For extreme stress, precision work, that weapon is there for you. It's a stiff bastard brand new though. I must be lucky with the Kimber. I've had a personal one for quite a few years now and it has never been a bother. Hell, I'd even put easy money on that thing for passing that 2000 round count test, it's been that good. One of my co- workers has one though and it is a total piece of garbage.

C4IGrant
05-05-10, 21:31
The TRP might be the best option out there for the money.
IMHO, if you are not a purist, the 1911 might not be the best weapon for you. You have to be dedicated to PM's, lubrication and buying high quality mags.

Good 1911's generally start at $2100, and go up. If you treat your gun like you treat your lawn mower, then 1911's are not for you.

C4

Dunderway
05-05-10, 21:38
I have had really good luck with SA. Some people say the US made guns are better than the Brazilian ones, but I have no idea if this is true. Mine is US made and seems to be fitted very well.

If you care:
N serial # prefix = Brazil
NM prefix = USA

obucina
05-05-10, 22:32
I have the Loaded model and while I am in no way an armed professional, I am happy with it. I chose it due to its price range and that it has an ambi safety since I am a lefty and has good sights. I got a few FTFs with the gun early on and decided to run Chip McCormack mags and havent had a failure since.

That being said, much like C4said, I am one of those purists. I bought and sold an HK USPc.45 because I do favor the 1911. My next 1911 will be a NHC :)

rathos
05-06-10, 01:21
Crazy I didn't know this. My Loaded has a NM prefix and has been 100% since the day I got in 2006. I have carried it daily and shot the hell out of it and I now carry it on duty. I have never had a feeding issue, but I tossed the springer mags and have used Chip McCormick mags since day one. Although I have not had issues with rusting or problems like that, I am looking at getting a TRP or operator just for the better coating. I had thought about getting my loaded built by a smith, but its been so reliable I have no reason to spend the money other then to say I have a "custom" 1911. Tell your friend to get the loaded and not look back.

I have had really good luck with SA. Some people say the US made guns are better than the Brazilian ones, but I have no idea if this is true. Mine is US made and seems to be fitted very well.

If you care:
NM prefix = USA

QuickStrike
05-06-10, 03:10

If you care:
NM prefix = USA

I think the "NM" just means that they are mostly assembled here.

My "mil-spec" has that too. Does seem to be better executed than other low end SA pistols.

120mm
05-06-10, 04:19
The TRP might be the best option out there for the money.
IMHO, if you are not a purist, the 1911 might not be the best weapon for you. You have to be dedicated to PM's, lubrication and buying high quality mags.

Good 1911's generally start at $2100, and go up. If you treat your gun like you treat your lawn mower, then 1911's are not for you.

C4

What if you take really, really good care of your lawn mower?

:p

C4IGrant
05-06-10, 08:09
What if you take really, really good care of your lawn mower?

:p

Then a 1911 might be a good choice for you. ;)

C4

scottryan
05-06-10, 08:11
They are decent 1911s as far as I am concerned since they have forged slides and frames by Imbel.

I would rather have a Springfield than a Kimber. I don't like the built in child lock on the Springfields.

I'd rather have a Colt before either of these two. If you want a 1911 made the way it was made 60 years ago, you can buy a Colt.

If you want a 1911 that centers around accuracy, trigger pull, smoothness, and cosmetics, you need to look at some other brand.

C4IGrant
05-06-10, 08:24
There is also another option on the market (in the budget arena).

The new S&W 108309 (No Firing Pin Block/Series 70).

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=11101&langId=-1&productId=91443&tabselected=over&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=15709

Price is around $800.

Hilton's comments on the gun: http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=81585&an=0&page=0#81585

Oh, the gun is now available.

C4

05-06-10, 11:26
I have owned two, still own one. Both full size governments in 9mm. One shot at least 6" high out of the box, the other I bought used that my gunsmith noticed had a crack in the slide. Springfield fixed both, no questions asked. Both run or ran reliably out of the box. The Springfield may not be perfection out of the box but their CS is top shelf in my experience.

ralph
05-06-10, 13:07
I think the "NM" just means that they are mostly assembled here.

My "mil-spec" has that too. Does seem to be better executed than other low end SA pistols.

The "NM" prefix from what I read on the 1911 forum, a few years back means that the slide, frame, possibly barrel came into the country from Brazil as rough machined parts..They (SA) finish machined them, and assembled them here, and quite a few of them were very well done.Very nicely fit up. Nowadays, the lower grade 1911's Mil-spec, WWII, are completely made in Brazil, you don't get into U.S. finished/assembled 1911's until you get into the higher end models...with of course, higher end prices.. If you want something to use for a custom build, I'd look around for a older NM mil-spec and build on that...Quite often you can find them at reasonable prices.

Ranger325
05-06-10, 15:22
Regarding the SA Pro, my weapon has run without any issue for me. I've ran that thing in so many hard, high round count courses and it has never gave me any issues (except for running without gloves... that 20lpi checkering will dig in after awhile!). For extreme stress, precision work, that weapon is there for you.

I agree with the Scarecrow. My Pro has performed flawlessly for me after several thousand rounds (factory and alot of my LSWC reloads). Last month I took it for 3 days of training at TigerSwan. JD and Kyle were none too sure a 1911 would make it without any hitches, but it did and Kyle put it on his blog!
http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/04/best-runnin-45-ive-ever-seen.html

I also have a SS NM Loaded with adjustable target sights that has served me well. I don't shoot it as much as the Pro, but I'm satisfied.

Good luck!

Regards,

CAVDOC
05-07-10, 10:26
I can say many people have had pretty good luck with SA 1911's, and for the most part those that have not have had good customer service from SA to fix them.
Big however-at least where I live you can find a good used Colt in the same price range as the SA-I would much prefer a made in the USA pistol to something from Brazil.

Norinco
05-07-10, 10:46
There is also another option on the market (in the budget arena).

The new S&W 108309 (No Firing Pin Block/Series 70).

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=11101&langId=-1&productId=91443&tabselected=over&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=15709

Price is around $800.

Hilton's comments on the gun: http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=81585&an=0&page=0#81585

Oh, the gun is now available.

C4

Would you buy this model over a SA loaded??

C4IGrant
05-07-10, 11:05
Would you buy this model over a SA loaded??

I would.

C4

QuickStrike
05-07-10, 15:12
I would.

C4

Grant,

Can these be upgraded with the performance center extractor?

C4IGrant
05-07-10, 15:28
Grant,

I imagine so, but don't know for certain.

C4

MarshallDodge
05-07-10, 19:29

I believe that there are dimension differences between the two so there may be some required machining to the slide.

Dunderway
05-07-10, 21:55
The "NM" prefix from what I read on the 1911 forum, a few years back means that the slide, frame, possibly barrel came into the country from Brazil as rough machined parts..They (SA) finish machined them, and assembled them here, and quite a few of them were very well done.Very nicely fit up. Nowadays, the lower grade 1911's Mil-spec, WWII, are completely made in Brazil, you don't get into U.S. finished/assembled 1911's until you get into the higher end models...with of course, higher end prices.. If you want something to use for a custom build, I'd look around for a older NM mil-spec and build on that...Quite often you can find them at reasonable prices.

This is what I have understood, and this was backed up by SA. However, I do believe they still produce some Mil-Specs in the U.S., as I have seen some NIB ones with the NM prefix fairly recently.

Assy Mcgee
05-08-10, 01:57
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/champop1911/Pic1695449354.jpghttp://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/champop1911/Pic4145010.jpg

opmike
05-08-10, 02:32
I have a Loaded model chambered in 9mm and a GI. 45 model. The GI. is sitting soaked in oil and stored as I don't shoot .45 much do to costs. It had some FTRTB issues when I first shot. They disappeared after 100 rounds or so, and it has been reliable out of the 2,000 or so rounds that have been sent through it.

My 9mm on the other hand has been a Timex from day one. It's currently my highest round count gun with something in the neighborhood of 11,000 rounds through it. Literally without any issue. It has some fit and finish issues (namely where the slide/extractor/frame line up in the rear) but functionally, it has been fine for me, and that's all that I'm concerned about. I'm running the Metal-form magazines.

maximus83
05-08-10, 10:41
I currently have two SA 1911's, both purchased as stock models that were later customized. Mine have both been gtg, and Springfield's service shop and Custom shop have done a stellar job improving them.

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz273/tlteebken/Lw-2.jpg

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz273/tlteebken/SAhc.jpg