PDA

View Full Version : Info re BCG's and uppers

1oldgrunt
11-13-09, 18:11
I have a complete upper from a major manufacturere but no BCG.

Can I buy any quality BCG and just drop it in ??
pretty sure i can but want more knowledgeable to answer.

Also some bolt carriers have less mass ( all suppossedly 15 carriers) so whats the scoop on those??

My sincerest THANKs for any and all assistance.

1oldgrunt
11-13-09, 18:19

Also some bolt carriers have less mass ( all suppossedly 15 carriers) so whats the scoop on those??

CoryCop25
11-13-09, 18:20
Yes you can... Take a look at Bravo company, Daniel Defense and Spike's Tactical (FNH).

RD62
11-13-09, 18:49
Yep. You can just drop it in.

If you are doing it from scratch I'd get a FA carrier. No real reason not to.

Nothing wrong with the AR15/Semi carrier, and a quality upper sound run fine with one. But the "Full Auto" version is the one originally designed for the system, and since there really isn't any price difference I can think of no compelling reason to use the semi instead.

-RD62

RogerinTPA
11-13-09, 18:50

Yes you can.

AR-15 carriers are fine, there are different types, just ensure the firing pin is shrouded (covering the entire firing pin) so the carrier, and not the firing pin, is cocking the hammer. BUT Full Auto carriers have more mass, slowing the carrier speed as it cycles, resulting in less felt recoil impulse. It is more important that the carrier gas key screws are staked properly and that it is a good quality BCG (Colt, BCM, LMT, etc...). I use all FA carriers in my ARs and have several BCM BCGs as spares.

See this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=14534

Captains1911
11-13-09, 18:54
As long as the upper is within spec, then any in spec BCG will work. The difference in weight between AR and M16 BCGs is so little it really makes no difference. I recommend a BCM BCG, and they are on sale right now.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm

tonnete_r
11-13-09, 19:37

Yes, youc an drop it in.

Regarding the mass of BCG, the argument is more on momentum.

Iraqgunz
11-14-09, 00:42
Please do not post in multiple areas. When someone wants to answer the question, they will do so. I highly encourage new members to try and do a search first as this topic has been covered numerous times.