PDA

View Full Version : Supressed SBR question.

SCB 57
11-13-09, 22:13
Is there a general consensus as to which suppressor is favored on SBRs. Open to IMs if not comfortable stating preferences in the open. Advise is appreciated.

Best regards,

Steve

rrpederson
11-13-09, 22:59
in my research, i have seen all kinds of suppressors on all kinds of sbr's. my preference was the aac m4-2000. i liked it when my friend showed me some of his suppressors. i had heard nothing but great things about it before i bought mine. i dont have alot of experience with suppressors in general, so maybe someone with more experience will chime in. i was taking a small leap of faith when dropping 1k bux on it. there are less expensive suppressors on the market though. for what its worth, i love the m4-2000. hope this helped a little.

richie

SCB 57
11-14-09, 00:01
rrperderson,
Thanks for breaking the ice. I admit I'm apprehensive asking for advice with a low posting history.

rrpederson
11-14-09, 22:50
i did the same thing dude. i made an account here so i could find advise on the same topic if im not mistaken. anyway, there are alot of suppressors out there, the best thing to do is ask around, hopefully there are people around somewhere that have some suppressors that are nice enough to show u their stuff or even let u shoot them. i think that as long as u find a suppressor that fits your budget, is of a reputable manufacture, and u know how to install, then u should be good. i really likes the mounting system of the m4-2000. its part of what helped me decide to get one. if u dont have access to suppressors in the real world, try youtube. if u try youtube though, remember that cameras arent going to get all of the sound in the video. so actual experience may vary. good luck man.

richie

Ak44
11-14-09, 23:08
Check out silencertalk.com and silencerresearch.com they will have a wealth of knowledge. I like AAC's cans, I put in an order for an SPR/M4 and probably put in an order for a M42000 as well. Their sound suppression is one of the best in the industry, and the adjustable MITER system on the SPR/M4 is very appealing to me so I don't have to adjust my zero for suppression.

edwin907
11-15-09, 01:07
I have a SpecWar2 as well as an OPS 12th.
You will not go wrong with a M4-2000.
It's an excellent suppressor.

rockman96
11-15-09, 10:39
I would suggest a (AAC) 7.62-SD....FS/mounts are available in both 5/8x24 and 1/2x28, so you can mount it to either 5.56 or .308 rifles. Lot's more versatile/cost effective than a dedicated 5.56 can since you only have one $200 stamp to cover multiple calibers. You don't really lose much (if any) db reduction due to the slightly larger volume of the can, and many think the lower tone pitch of the bigger can sounds better than the smaller one. YMMV.

COLT6933
11-15-09, 13:28
Surefire K can!

M16MANIAC
11-15-09, 19:27
I went with AAC and have been very happy. They make some great cans.
Here is a pic of mine.
http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq212/KAB12869/Gaspistons010.jpg

QuietShootr
11-15-09, 19:56
Gemtech HALO.

rob_s
11-15-09, 20:27
I would suggest a (AAC) 7.62-SD....FS/mounts are available in both 5/8x24 and 1/2x28, so you can mount it to either 5.56 or .308 rifles. Lot's more versatile/cost effective than a dedicated 5.56 can since you only have one $200 stamp to cover multiple calibers. You don't really lose much (if any) db reduction due to the slightly larger volume of the can, and many think the lower tone pitch of the bigger can sounds better than the smaller one. YMMV.
However you gain over 2 oz. and, more importantly, over 2 inches over the M4-2k.

That would be unacceptable to me if I were suppressing an SBR.

rockman96
11-15-09, 20:28
However you gain over 2 oz. and, more importantly, over 2 inches over the M4-2k.

That would be unacceptable to me if I were suppressing an SBR.

Like I said...."YMMV". To me, 2 oz is nothing. And for what I gained in versatility and expense, neither is 2".

M16MANIAC
11-15-09, 20:48
Like I said...."YMMV". To me, 2 oz is nothing. And for what I gained in versatility and expense, neither is 2".

To each his own for sure.
For me I went with an SBR for the size and weight of the rifle, I also went with a small light can to keep it that way. I have seen SBR's with the 762.SD I use one on my LWRC 6.8 but I hope to get a M4-2K in 6.8 for it soon.
Just for comparison here is a pic
M4-2K on the top 2 762SD on the bottom.
http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq212/KAB12869/Gaspistons008.jpg

Jer
11-15-09, 21:01

This is exactly what I did only with a YHM Phantom can and am SO glad I did. With a simple QD mount purchase I can mount it to any .223/5.56 or .308/7.62 rifle I have. Great versatility and for what you pay it's best to make your suppressor as universal as possible.

Eric Kozowski
11-16-09, 00:38
I personally would never buy a single product from AAC.

Gemtech gets my business. Great cans, great people, top notch customer service and ethical behavior.

I have a Gemtech M4-96D made in 1996 and it's still going strong, despite being abused. The G5 and the HALO can't be beat.

JohnnyC
11-16-09, 10:44
For 5.56 I've got an M4-2k on my 11.5" BCM upper and I love it. I really do think it is the best combination of weight, length, durability, and performance for all cans in its class. If I had a longer barrel I'd go SPR/M4 for the decreased blowback, POI tuning ability, and extra couple db's of suppression. Having shot my suppressor next to both a Gemtech G-5 and a HALO, I can say that it's hands down the better suppressor. I'd like to see how the SWR A2-RA compares. I'm not a fan of the Surefire cans. I don't really like the mounting system and have found them louder when shot side-by-side with both AAC and Gemtech. I don't have much personal experience with Ops Inc cans but I feel comfortable deferring to my betters and their espousal of the brand.

nutnless220
11-16-09, 10:59

C4IGrant
11-16-09, 11:22
Is there a general consensus as to which suppressor is favored on SBRs. Open to IMs if not comfortable stating preferences in the open. Advise is appreciated.

Best regards,

Steve

I run the SF K can and the AAC M42K. These are two of the better cans on the market.

C4

C4IGrant
11-16-09, 11:23
I personally would never buy a single product from AAC.

Gemtech gets my business. Great cans, great people, top notch customer service and ethical behavior.

I have a Gemtech M4-96D made in 1996 and it's still going strong, despite being abused. The G5 and the HALO can't be beat.

I would have to agree with you. The Gemtech guys are some of the best in the industry.

C4

MCASSgt New River
11-16-09, 13:03
I assume you mean in 5.56/.223 caliber?

...Me I prefer to keep things as short as possible which means I run a 9mm conversion, 5" TROS barrel and a Gemtech Multimount(Suppressor Length 7"). This keeps me at about 12" plus or minus 1" for the total suppressed upper length.

From what I understand not many, if any at all, suppressor manufactures will warranty a suppressor on a barrel shorter then 10".....someone correct me if I'm wrong.

SCB 57
11-17-09, 22:35
Thanks guys.

technique
11-29-09, 01:06
Guess it depends on what you are looking for in a can.
I'm in the same boat as you as far as looking around. I also wanted to keep a short gun short. No point in having a short gun and then adding a 8in can to it, you're back at where you were or even longer.

Long story short, I went with an OPS inc. M4-S. I really wanted a 14th model but even with some friends who have friends...I couldn't pull any strings. So I'll wait it out.
OPS mounts over the bore a bit. The M4-S is 4.5in OAL and only adds 1in to the OAL of your gun. So my 11.5in barrel will only be 12.5in from the bolt face with the can on.
The 14th is something like 6in OAL and adds 4.5in to the gun. Thats cool!

I would like to add, I live in Idaho. I have met some of the Gemtech guys and they are awesome! Great people. They will also see some of my $$$ in the near future!

Good luck with your purchase!

USMC03
12-14-09, 11:48
Figure out what features are most important to you and purchase the suppressor that has the most feature that are important to you.

As with most things in life, it's give and take.

These were the features that were important to me:

http://03designgroup.com/photo/ar15-sound-suppressor-selection/icon-ar15-suppressor-selection.jpg
03designgroup | AR15 Sound Suppressor Selection http://demigodllc.com/icon/extwh3.png (http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-sound-suppressor-selection)