PDA

View Full Version : IOR Valdada optics? variable mag units

Cesiumsponge
03-04-07, 23:47
I was curious if anyone has tested this particular optics brand, and where they rank as far as pecking order goes.

I read the 1-4x threads and didn't see the IOR Valdada 1.1x4x26 CRT unit. Seems to MSRP for just under $1000.

What caught my attention was their 1.5-8x-26 CQB illuminated unit which has a bit more umph to it. It also has a CQB .223 reticle option but I am not sure if it is optimized for M193 or M855. Just under $1400 MSRP.

How is the glass...brightness, clarity, resolution? How is the illumination system? How stiff is the magnification adjustment? Zero-holding ability, ease of using knobs, detents or none on settings, etc. If anyone can provide their experiences on this particular unit or IOR in general, I'd greatly appreciate it.

They certainly don't seem to be cheap optics, nor do they place at tier one prices, but rather middle-to-slight-upper range (but price doesn't always reflect all). I'm very interested in trying a 1.5-8x-26 IOR on the new MSAR "Steyr" STG-556 I have on reserve. I opted not to go with the factory tube optic (which is an additional cost, bah)

Bob RI
03-08-07, 10:50
While I can't provide you with any decent comparisons, I've got the IOR Valdada 1.1x4x26 CRT on my AR middie - just picked it up not long ago - only one drizzly range trip with it so far. I'm also not a scope junkie as I've only had one other - a Leupold 3-9 VXII on my 308 deer rifle. The IOR is solid and heavy, the optic is clear and bright. The red illumination is great, especially in crap weather. The magnification adjustment is pretty stiff compared to the Leupold but not excessively so - to me anyway. Also, I bought mine used online for $500 shipped - it only had light ring marks - I'm quite happy with it so far....couple more range trips and I'll have a better feel for it.

paulosantos
03-08-07, 16:28
I was curious if anyone has tested this particular optics brand, and where they rank as far as pecking order goes.

I read the 1-4x threads and didn't see the IOR Valdada 1.1x4x26 CRT unit. Seems to MSRP for just under $1000.

What caught my attention was their 1.5-8x-26 CQB illuminated unit which has a bit more umph to it. It also has a CQB .223 reticle option but I am not sure if it is optimized for M193 or M855. Just under $1400 MSRP.

How is the glass...brightness, clarity, resolution? How is the illumination system? How stiff is the magnification adjustment? Zero-holding ability, ease of using knobs, detents or none on settings, etc. If anyone can provide their experiences on this particular unit or IOR in general, I'd greatly appreciate it.

They certainly don't seem to be cheap optics, nor do they place at tier one prices, but rather middle-to-slight-upper range (but price doesn't always reflect all). I'm very interested in trying a 1.5-8x-26 IOR on the new MSAR "Steyr" STG-556 I have on reserve. I opted not to go with the factory tube optic (which is an additional cost, bah)

I have the IOR 1.5x8-26, IOR 2x12-32, IOR 2.5x10-42, and Horus 1x4. The reticle on the IOR 1.5x8-26 is calibrated for the M855 fired out of a 14.5" barrel. I have mine with the QD rings and they work great. The reticle is not visible outside in the sun, but other than that it is good. Glass is great and all the controls are great. The turrets are the only negative thing about the IOR scopes, but they aren't as bad as some people make them out to be.

In my opinion, the IOR 1.5x8-26, is a great scope, but since IOR has the 2x12-32 and 3x18-42, they should have made a 1x6-2? instead of the 1.5x8-26. For CQB, the 1.5x8 isn't as fast as a 1x4 scope or a red dot. If you are shooting from 25-600 yards and not CQB, this scope is awsome. But for me, if you are going to shoot from 25-600+ yards, the IOR 2x12-32 is a better choice unless you are trying to cut a little weight. Out of the three IOR scopes I have, I like the 2.5x10-42 the best because I can mount it on a Larue SPR and attach a JPoint red dot with it.

Now if you want a CQB-400 yard scope, the Horus talon is a great scope.