PDA

View Full Version : Should I re-build an old Colt or buy a new DD?

Darren
11-14-09, 01:26
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. First of all, I would like to say thanks to everyone for all the great information I have gotten here reading the posts, especially Rob_S.

Well I am not new to ARs but I haven't bought one for 10 years or so, and I was thinking of getting something M4-ish. I am sure it would be mostly a plinker, but I would like it to be there for me if I ever needed a "Katrina style" rifle.

We just moved in August and haven't sold the old house yet, so I really don't want to spend the cash on a new Colt (actually I wouldn't mind but the old lady thinks she needs the kitchen re-done). ;)

There is a used 6920 (seen 600 rounds) for sale locally, but for about the same price I can get a new (stocked and railed) DD or LMT.

My other option is I already have two Colt 6701s. One is new and the second has shot about 1500 rounds or so. They are basically a A3 heavy barrels with the large pivot pins. What I was thinking of doing is taking the used one and swapping the stock, buying a "good" M4 barrel and you know the rest.

What are your recommendations? What would you guys do?

kmrtnsn
11-14-09, 02:12
Buy the DD or LMT. Large bin Colts aren't worth investing more $$ in.

fdxpilot
11-14-09, 21:50
You can buy a new Colt 6920 for $1100-1200. There was even a post here last week about a shop selling a batch of new ones for $995. There's no reason to spend big bucks for a used one. If you can't find one, a DD or LMT rifle is a good purchase. Of course, I'm predjudiced, as I'm a happy LMT owner.

Luke_Y
11-15-09, 12:01
You could spend $550 or so to swap in a Colt 6920 bbl assembly, M4 stock kit, and hand guards and be done. About $400 if you went with another GTG brand bbl. (you will pay a premium for the Colt bbl).

If the gun is a keeper I wouldn't worry about the pin sizes. If you are planning to sell it I would likely keep it stock and sell it that way. If you plan to keep it, but might possibly sell it some day, I would stick with a Colt bbl to maintain some of the "Colt" value.

That said, if you are patient, you could likely sell the 6700 for just over $1k. That would have you spending only $100-$200 for a new 6920. That would be a nice compliment to your other stock Colt.

My $.02 :)

ETA: Welcome to the forum :)

Darren
11-22-09, 06:43
Thanks guys..
Luke, you're right, I had a shooting buddy come out the other day and he wants to buy two of my ARs, the HBAR as well as the 11" 9mm. I wasn't trying to sell the 9mm.... but.... ;)

MeanRider
11-22-09, 19:33
Now you can buy both the LMT and the DD.

scottryan
11-22-09, 20:06
My other option is I already have two Colt 6701s. One is new and the second has shot about 1500 rounds or so. They are basically a A3 heavy barrels with the large pivot pins. What I was thinking of doing is taking the used one and swapping the stock, buying a "good" M4 barrel and you know the rest.

Since these are preban, I would get rid of them on gunbroker and you will have plenty of money left over to buy what you want.

Large pivot pins are a waste of time.

These also do not have extended carbine feedramps, so you cannot just install a quality M4 barrel into the receiver and be done. You would have to get a new flattop upper and now you will have to replace half the gun so I would just sell them off.

m4fun
11-22-09, 20:23
But they are not Colts!

Agree - although I like Colts, and that pony seems to demand a premium, these are not the ones to get especially used with a new DD right next to it.

aggopian
11-25-09, 10:22
Personally I have owned many brands and they work fine for my needs. LMT or DD factory rifles would be a HUGE up for me.
That being said If you're a Colt fan anything else just won't be a Colt.
Sell scrimp save and get what you really want.

Luke_Y
11-25-09, 19:14
... These also do not have extended carbine feedramps, so you cannot just install a quality M4 barrel into the receiver and be done. You would have to get a new flattop upper and now you will have to replace half the gun so I would just sell them off.

Just want to point out that if his current receiver has no feed ramps, while not ideal, he can still install a M4 barrel and not have trouble (ie if there was no trouble before- this wont cause trouble). Just not the other way around.

A pic stolen from AR15Barrels to illustrate the point.

http://www.ar15barrels.com/tech/feedramps2.jpg

That said, I would still just sell one of the 6701s and get a new 6920. As he would likely break near even and have less hassle.

YMMV

scottryan
11-25-09, 20:20
Just want to point out that if his current receiver has no feed ramps, while not ideal, he can still install a M4 barrel and not have trouble (ie if there was no trouble before- this wont cause trouble). Just not the other way around.

A pic stolen from AR15Barrels to illustrate the point.

http://www.ar15barrels.com/tech/feedramps2.jpg

That said, I would still just sell one of the 6701s and get a new 6920. As he would likely break near even and have less hassle.

YMMV

Installing a deep feedramp carbine barrel into a regular upper will cause the aluminum edge to not be supported and will begin to erode away at a high rate. It is not OK as that pictures says.

I am well aware of that picture. Please do not continue to argue this point.

Luke_Y
11-26-09, 08:02
Installing a deep feedramp carbine barrel into a regular upper will cause the aluminum edge to not be supported and will begin to erode away at a high rate. It is not OK as that pictures says.

Interesting. Don’t misunderstand my viewpoint; I am definitely "pro" M4 feed ramp. I have just always understood it that when installing a M4 extension into a rifle receiver, one only negated the M4 ramp benefit.

I have never heard the position of possible rapid erosion or wear due to that arrangement. It's interesting, not something I have experienced. But, have only had one AR that was set up that way pass through my hands over the years. I will have to look into it. Do you have any further info to share?

PS- No need to be snippy friend. Sorry if I touched a nerve. I wasn't trying to argue with you. Merely discussing, and presenting a fairly widely held alternative viewpoint...

Darren
11-27-09, 09:08
Well I have the Hbar and the 9mm as good as sold and I have decided to go with a LMT or a DD.... now which one??? .... ;)

I just want to say that I am a big Colt fan, but in the 1911s and I have collected them all my life. I have 1911s, 1911A1, and even a pre series 70 .38 spl. They are not all Colts, some are Union Switch & Signal, Remington Rand, Springfield Armory, etc... but mostly they are Colt. :)

I bought the 6701 because I thought that since it came from the Colt Custom shop it had "collector potential" so I kept it NIB. The 6700 was my shooter. (and Luke you were right the second one is a 6700).

IrishDevil
11-27-09, 10:59

Never seen any issues with the M4/rifle combo, I had one that saw approx. 3500 rds. Also, your little superiority complex gets annoying.

Luke_Y
11-27-09, 11:12
Well I have the Hbar and the 9mm as good as sold and I have decided to go with a LMT or a DD.... now which one??? .... ;)

Well, you can't really go wrong with either. You can get the LMT with the sopmod stock for about $50 more than the basic DD vxm4. But, I think you can still get a $250 DD gift card after the purchase of a DD rifle. You could use it toward a rail if you wanted and really be stretching your $$

Myself, I'd probably go with the DD right now with the gift card as the deciding factor. If there were no gift card in play it would likely be the LMT with the sopmod.

My 2c :)