PDA

View Full Version : FBI/RCMP clue to investigate? Syrian man found with $880K worth of gold

BSHNT2015
11-14-09, 09:33
So if you're a FBI/RCMP investigator would you look into this or blow it off? This is pointing to alot of clues or should I exercise political correctness and just sum it to a lost tourist?
You decide.

http://www.theprovince.com/story_print.html?id=2216473&sponsor=

Syrian carrying $880,000, Hezbollah ring, 9/11 videos, stopped at Surrey(Canada)border crossing

By Frank Luba , The ProvinceNovember 13, 2009

VANCOUVER — Don't cross the Canadian border with almost a million dollars that you fail to declare — especially when you also have a Hezbollah ring and a Palestinian scarf in your possession.

Khaled Nawaya found that out the hard way when he was arrested Oct. 6 at the Douglas border crossing in Surrey, B.C., and had to spend a month in detention while being investigated as a security threat.

He was released Thursday with a long list of conditions after a hearing before the federal government's Immigration Division member Lynda Mackie, and still has no status in Canada.

Nawaya, 34, had a visa to get into the country and, according to his lawyer, Phil Rankin, has spent 18 months going through all that's required to move to Canada from the U.S. as a landed immigrant.

"It's not like this started 30 days ago," said Rankin.

But the Saudi Arabian-born Syrian citizen, who is qualified as a flight instructor and had hoped to work in B.C., complicated his situation by not declaring the money.

That's against the law, although charges have not yet been laid as his case is still being investigated.

Nawaya was reluctant to speak to the media but finally declared: "I feel great. It's an experience for life. It's one of these things."

About $800,000 of Nawaya's stash, which is still in the Canadian government's possession, was in Canadian gold coins purchased by Nawaya's brother, who lives in Texas. There was another $70,000 in cash and about $10,000 in his pockets.

Further compounding the situation was his possession of a ring with the Hezbollah emblem. Rankin said the ring was one of two specially made by Nawaya's brother.

Hezbollah is a militant group fighting Israel's presence in Lebanon. Canada considers it a terrorist group.

His goods also included a Palestinian scarf and DVDs related to the 9/11 tragedy.

Rankin said the combination of possessions led to the notion Nawaya was a security threat.

"It all mushroomed up," said Rankin. "They believed he is a security threat to Canada. I think that's starting to evaporate."

Nawaya was led into the hearing Thursday wearing a red prison T-shirt and sweat pants, with his hands cuffed behind his back. When he was released into bright sunshine, the slight, balding man wore a plaid shirt and jeans.

Without status, he can's work, so Rankin said Nawaya's brother is providing him with funds.

Rankin said Nawaya has 90 days to prove the source of the money he was carrying, which he claims were from an insurance settlement and his wages.

The CBSA will then have to verify the claims and, according Rankin, there is a chance Nawaya could lose the money.

E-mail: fluba@theprovince.com

© Copyright (c) The Province

LockenLoad
11-14-09, 10:20
if it walks like a duck, quacks like one, looks like one than it's probably a good bet its a duck, they will let this fool go, and still have your grandma take off her shoes to fly, no common sense anymore.

usmcvet
11-14-09, 10:24
I'm sure :rolleyes: it was just an honest mistake. He just needed some cash for a shopping trip.

Rider79
11-14-09, 11:40
I have no idea about the particulars of this case, but look up something called "civil asset forfeiture" and you'll be surprised how easily this can happen. Say you sell a few of your guns, and you're travelling with several thousand in cash. You get pulled over, and whatever the circumstances are that lead to it, you end up having your vehicle or person searched. The officer finds the large sum of money, and confiscates it because he believes that it came from illegal drug sales. They keep the money until you prove it otherwise. Sometimes the court case is set up as "US v. $10,000" or something along those lines, because a sum of money, a car, or a boat don't have civil rights like a person does, so the burden of proof is on you to prove that money didn't come from illegal activity. There's alot of people who own significant amounts of gold or silver because they don't trust paper money.

Business_Casual
11-14-09, 12:02
I think he was the money man for an operation. The terrorists can't use banks anymore to move money around, so they were using this guy. Eight more just like him probably made it through.

M_P

Business_Casual
11-14-09, 12:05
Could be, but my point is that these laws can hit normal citizens just as well. Especially the part where they say even if they don't find him guilty of anything they can still keep his money.

Yes, because they made it illegal to do what he was doing. Did you know there were no money laundering laws before the 1980s? In the name of the "war on drugs" it was made illegal. Same meat, different gravy.

M_P

usmcvet
11-14-09, 12:07
I think he was the money man for an operation. The terrorists can't use banks anymore to move money around, so they were using this guy. Eight more just like him probably made it through.

M_P

I agree. I think 10-20K could be explained but once you hit the 50-100K mark it would take a lot more convincing for me and he was closer to the million dollar mark. That is more money than usually seen in armored cars.

Rider79
11-14-09, 12:11

M_P

Could be, but my point is that these laws can hit normal citizens just as well. Especially the part where they say even if they don't find him guilty of anything they can still keep his money.

BAC
11-14-09, 12:13
I'm sure :rolleyes: it was just an honest mistake. He just needed some cash for a shopping trip.

That may be more accurate than we know.

I hope they're taking a good hard look at this man's brother, too.

-B

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-14-09, 12:55

Hello, I'm here to put a down payment on buying Canada!

About $800,000 of Nawaya's stash, which is still in the Canadian government's possession, was in Canadian gold coins purchased by Nawaya's brother, who lives in Texas. There was another $70,000 in cash and about $10,000 in his pockets.

$10,000 in what, loose change?

Lot's of walking around money, supporter of Hezbollah, 9/11 conspiracy supporter- Sounds like an Acorn community organizer!

Just hold onto the gold until the gold rush ends and it is worth a fraction of what it is now and then return it.

Maybe he was looking to buy a water logged Bugatti Veyron?

Submariner
11-14-09, 13:08
Just hold onto the gold until the gold rush ends and it is worth a fraction of what it is now and then return it.

Maybe this can replace the gold that walked away from the Royal Canadian Mint.:D

"Turrists" need something better than the Yankee dollar to finance ops as it is not holding its value well these days.