PDA

View Full Version : Specter Chest rig?

SoDak
11-14-09, 12:29
Currently, I've been using a surplus FLC to carry mags, and while there are some aspects I like about it, it doesn't work the greatest when I just hang mags off the front. So, if I ever get the chance to take a rifle class, I wouldn't mind getting a good chest rig. I was looking at the Specter Gear M1 Mk-1 chest rig. http://spectergear.com/os_chest_rig.htm I thought it looked like a good choice since it is affordable(I saw it for about $50 at one site) and will work with M4, Ak, and m14 mags which means it would be very versatile for me. I just wanted to see if anyone here has used this chest rig and what they thought of it. Also, am I doing myself a diservice by looking at the MK-1 with the accesory strips for belt pouches rather than the one made for molle pouches?

ST911
11-14-09, 13:45
Currently, I've been using a surplus FLC to carry mags, and while there are some aspects I like about it, it doesn't work the greatest when I just hang mags off the front. So, if I ever get the chance to take a rifle class, I wouldn't mind getting a good chest rig. I was looking at the Specter Gear M1 Mk-1 chest rig. http://spectergear.com/os_chest_rig.htm I thought it looked like a good choice since it is affordable(I saw it for about $50 at one site) and will work with M4, Ak, and m14 mags which means it would be very versatile for me. I just wanted to see if anyone here has used this chest rig and what they thought of it. Also, am I doing myself a diservice by looking at the MK-1 with the accesory strips for belt pouches rather than the one made for molle pouches?

I used one for quite awhile, and they were popular with some patrol rifle programs. Well made, inepensive, simple and functional. Mine worked for what I needed at the time. Since, I'm using various Eagle chest rigs for more flexibility.

You may find you'll want that same flexibility as well, so I'm inclined to steer you that way from the start. http://www.eagleindustries.com/home.php?cat=71&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=1

mskdgunman
11-14-09, 15:40
I still use one of their rigs (the one with the MOLLE) at work and for training. I attached three handgun mag pouches and a radio pouch to the MOLLE sections. They're simple and may be a good place to start for you if you're new to chest rigs. I did replace the shoulder straps on mine with an ATS H-harness but thats the only change I made.

Access to the mags isn't as fast as with some other systems as the pouches are covered but I haven't found it bothers me that much. For the money, you probably can't go wrong.

SoDak
11-14-09, 16:58
I used one for quite awhile, and they were popular with some patrol rifle programs. Well made, inepensive, simple and functional. Mine worked for what I needed at the time. Since, I'm using various Eagle chest rigs for more flexibility.

You may find you'll want that same flexibility as well, so I'm inclined to steer you that way from the start. http://www.eagleindustries.com/home.php?cat=71&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=1

I'm a bit dense today, but what makes the eagle rigs more flexible?

ST911
11-14-09, 17:08
I'm a bit dense today, but what makes the eagle rigs more flexible?

Sorry, bad explanation. The EI rigs are wider and have more PALS channels available for add-ons.

SoDak
11-14-09, 18:21
Are any of te eagle rigs set up for to work with either ak and ar mags? That was the big allure for me since I use both rifles. Or does the dual use aspect of the specter rig mean that it doesn't work the greatest with either ak or ar mags? I will give eagle a good look since I'm not in a big hurry since I want one mostly for attending a rifle class(I'm not sure an FLC would work good for that) and they don't come to western south dakota often.

the judge
11-15-09, 01:10
Are any of te eagle rigs set up for to work with either ak and ar mags? That was the big allure for me since I use both rifles. Or does the dual use aspect of the specter rig mean that it doesn't work the greatest with either ak or ar mags? I will give eagle a good look since I'm not in a big hurry since I want one mostly for attending a rifle class(I'm not sure an FLC would work good for that) and they don't come to western south dakota often.

I think the Eagle AK chest rig designed to carry three mags should work OK for both the AK and AR mags. I haven't tried it myself, but the pouches seem to be cut low enough to grab AR mags. Pderhaps someone that has one can check?? I have been wondering this myself. The appeal (for me anyway) of running the AK chest rig is the mag pockets aren't mounted to the chest rig platform, they are a pocket within. The flat low-profile look of that is appealing. And with the molle you can load it up as your mission or needs dictate.

I have used the Specter rig. They are a really good no BS rig. I don't see them as a "starter" chest rig, they should be good to go for most applications on this continent. If you are headed overseas, you will likely need something that carries a lot more.

SoDak
11-15-09, 01:43
I have used the Specter rig. They are a really good no BS rig. I don't see them as a "starter" chest rig, they should be good to go for most applications on this continent. If you are headed overseas, you will likely need something that carries a lot more.

Having only 3 mag pouches was another reason I thought the specter rig or eagle would work well for me. I'm just a low speed high drag civilian and I would guess that 3 extra mags would be plenty for anything I might ever encounter. That and 3 loaded ak mags is heavy enough. The eagle design with the pockets does look ineresting since that would look to be very flexible with additional pals webbing on the front. I really want a chest rig that can accomidate ak mags since it seems like finding a molle single mag pouch with a flap that will work with a mags is tough.

BTW I have a general question relating to chest rigs. Do they have to be reasonable tight to fit correctly? That is one thing I kind of like about the FLC is that I can leave it somewhat loose so that I can wear it over a coat, but still wear it while wearing a t-shirt without adjusting it. It does't fit the greatest when loose, but with temperature swings being the norm this time of year I like to be able to wear the FLC over whatever I'm wearing at any given moment. Do most chest rigs give me that option as well?

rob_s
11-15-09, 07:48
I began my chest rig foray with the Spectre. If you're going to go that route I'd get the one with MOLLE on the sides instead of the belt straps. The original that you linked to kind of pre-dates MOLLE and those side straps are designed to mimic a belt for the addition of other pouches (pretty smart, actually).

Where the Specter rig really shines is using multiple platforms. The pouches will work with AR, AK, or FAL/M14/AR10 magazines due to the tapered design. I used all successfully in my rig and that was the reason I bought it.

I use other products now and don't own the Specter any more, but as a multi-platform rig I think it's the best.

chiz45
11-17-09, 15:51
I did replace the shoulder straps on mine with an ATS H-harness g.

mskdgunman, I'm curious how you did your mod with the ATS straps. Did you cut both fastex clips off, or just run the ATS straps through the top fastex and use with the bottom? I've got the pre-MOLLE rig and i also picked up an ATS H, and haven't gotten around to integrating them together.