PDA

View Full Version : SBR Engraving ???'s

lil'Zeus
11-14-09, 14:41
Where do most of you have "SBR" engraved into you lower? I know their are several areas that meet the requirements for this. Just curious to your preference.

Thanks,
Shane

bwhited
11-14-09, 15:22
I use the front of the magwell. I hate that I have to put my name and address on the rifle to begin with so I want to hide it as much as possible. Orion-Arms does a great job and you will never see it unless you know what your looking for.:cool:

lil'Zeus
11-14-09, 15:39
I know you had to have "SBR" put on the receiver, but I didn't know you had to put a name and address..am I understanding your statement correctly? Hell, what if you move...? lol

thanks in advance for clerification!
Shane

bwhited
11-14-09, 16:26
I know you had to have "SBR" put on the receiver, but I didn't know you had to put a name and address..am I understanding your statement correctly? Hell, what if you move...? lol

Shane

Yeah, SBR is not required but you name, city and state are. And if you move that does not matter because it just want the city and state of where it was "made". It would just be like if Colt or Bushmaster moved......no big deal....

LonghunterCO
11-14-09, 16:28

Shane

You do not have to have "SBR" engraved on it. You do have to have your "Name, City, and State" engraved (in the case of a personal NFA item), if you are submitting the item as property of a Trust the engrave "Name of the trust, city and State".

I have one that I did on the front of the magwell (it is actually fairly low profile) and one inside the triggerguard area (my favorite location but it requires a totally stripped lower receiver). Wwe are talking about AR aren't we?

lil'Zeus
11-14-09, 16:51
Yes, an AR.

It is a Bushmaster that I'm thinking of converting and getting the tax stamp for. Just trying to get my ducks in a row on what all has to be done to make it legal after getting the stamp. I would submit my paperwork with the serial number of the lower I currently own is how I would like to do it unless it can't be done that way.

Do you have any pics of the engraving, if you don't want to post it for personal security I understand completely.

I guess mine would have to say:
Shane Landis
Lake Ozark MO

Would that be correct? Is it easier to just buy a new stripped lower and use it and put my parts in it for the engraving and stamp process?

Thanks,
shane

LonghunterCO
11-14-09, 17:03
There are several good tutorials out there on this process. One of the best items of advice is to get the lower first. Build it up and make sure that it runs, with out issue, prior to starting the NFA process. An out of spec. lower wiith a $200 stamp associated with it a whole bunch of trouble that you do not need.
You are manuf. the SBR so you are using a Form1.
If you have a lower that you are happy with then there is no problem to go that route. I would recommend that you get your engraving finished prior to your start of the process to eliminate the possibility of loosing a NFA item in the mail.

lil'Zeus
11-14-09, 17:45
So it would be better to buy a complete lower and do the Form 4 instead then, right? This all sounds like a ton of work to save 5" of barrel length...

I really want a SBR though...

lil'Zeus
11-15-09, 14:23
I guess a better questions would be: What would I have to do to put a short barrel in an existing carbine?

As far as paperwork and such, besides buying a barrel and having someone put it in.

The more research I do to educate myself, the more confusing this becomes!

Thanks again
shane

bwhited
11-15-09, 20:40
I guess a better questions would be: What would I have to do to put a short barrel in an existing carbine?

As far as paperwork and such, besides buying a barrel and having someone put it in.

The more research I do to educate myself, the more confusing this becomes!

Thanks again
shane

Just engrave your lower with your name, city and state and file a BATFE Form 1. When you get your Form 1 back you will be able to put your short upper on it. Simple, just several hoops to jump through...:-)

LonghunterCO
11-16-09, 10:32
Shane- To start out, what state do you reside in?

lil'Zeus
11-16-09, 13:33
Missouri is my home state.

I would like to turn my gun into a SBR since it has the carbing length gas system, and build a middy for my next gun...best of both worlds in two guns is my goal...

LonghunterCO
11-16-09, 13:58
Ok SBRs are leagal in your state (although I do not uite understand your states silencer restrictions:confused:). Do you know if you local sheriff will sign off on ClassIII items?

lil'Zeus
11-16-09, 14:46
Yeah, from what I understand he will sign off on Class III items with no problems. I spoke with a state trooper who works his off days at my local gun shop and he said the sheriff of Camden county has signed them before that he knows of. Our sheriff used to have to sign off on getting a pistol bought in this state until Aug of 07 when they changed the laws and CCW holders no longer had to go through a permit process. He always did that with a pretty speedy turn around for people as well.

I haven't looked into silencers before so I wouldn't know much about.

I do not have a class III dealer around anywhere that I know of other than a manufactureing facility not far from me that produces silencers, but they won't sell to the public any their items. I called them and wanted them to make me a threaded barrel for my sig 220 and they declined selling me one.

thanks,
shane

LonghunterCO
11-16-09, 15:26
email sent.

4thPointOfContact
11-16-09, 22:11
I think I recall an AR being engraved on the inclined 'funnel' part of the magwell. 100% visible to anyone looking there without the magazine installed (and what idiot would look with the magazine in?). If I go for an SBR, that's likely what I will have done.