PDA

View Full Version : Harris Bipod - BRM or BRM-S

Captains1911
11-14-09, 15:13
I am having trouble deciding which to get for my SPRish built around my LaRue Stealth upper. This is mainly a bench gun, but the benches at my range are not 100% level, and it would be nice to be able to completely level the gun and crosshairs if the shooting platform isn't. The added weight and width of the swivel model isn't an issue.

I'm curious as to how stable the swivel model is once the gun is leveled. After swiveled appropriately, is there a way to tighten it so it remains in place, even after a few shots?

Cold Zero
11-14-09, 15:22
I like the BRM-S and then install a Pod Loc on it. This will give you the ability to lock it in place and have the best of both. ~ $25.

Captains1911
11-14-09, 15:36
I like the BRM-S and then install a Pod Loc on it. This will give you the ability to lock it in place and have the best of both. ~ $25.

so without the pod loc there is no way to lock it in place?

8200rpm
11-15-09, 01:11
No personal experience with this model, but it's LaRue's modified BRM-S. It's lower in profile because they eliminate the need for mating to a sling swivel stud. The tension knob is enlarged which should make tightening the swivel tension easier. Perhaps you can add a Pod Loc to this model???

Harris Bipod BRM-S and LT706 QD Swivel Mount Combo
http://www.laruetactical.com/pics/harrisbipodbmr-sandlt706/myalbum/pa230949.jpg (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=263)

Captains1911
11-15-09, 12:10
No personal experience with this model, but it's LaRue's modified BRM-S. It's lower in profile because they eliminate the need for mating to a sling swivel stud. The tension knob is enlarged which should make tightening the swivel tension easier. Perhaps you can add a Pod Loc to this model???

Harris Bipod BRM-S and LT706 QD Swivel Mount Combo
http://www.laruetactical.com/pics/harrisbipodbmr-sandlt706/myalbum/pa230949.jpg (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=263)

I was actually looking at this one too. Is there any advantage to the BRM-S with the LT-130 over this one?

PRGGodfather
11-15-09, 13:17

Second on the BRM-S (notched-leg) and Pod Loc. A pod lock lever gives you about 60 degrees of throw from right to left once installed. Keep it on the right so the swivel works on uneven ground, and then turn the lever clockwise to tighten it. You don't need a lot of torque to tighten the swivel, and once locked, it is very solid.

The knob on the LaRue product, while I have not used it, appears to be the same principle with a different execution. In any case, it is clear that some tensioning mechanism is needed to lock the swivel. The pod lock's metal lever is simple -- but LaRue's knob protrudes less.

Here is an example:

http://www.eabco.com/podloc.htm

Verbal Kint
11-15-09, 13:19
The pod lock's metal lever is simple -- but LaRue's knob protrudes less.

Unless you order a micro version of the "pod loc", like I did, from this source: >HERE< (http://t-nuts.com/index.php?cPath=73) Turned out to be cheaper than the actual "pod loc" route, just as stout, and the micro size helped keep things nice and compact. Installation, was of course, just as simple and straight forward.

grunz
11-15-09, 13:21
I have the LARUE modified BRM-S and its fantastic and the bigger knob works well. At 13 ozs - it also weighs a few ounces less than Harris with separate LARUE mount.

Captains1911
11-15-09, 13:41
I have the LARUE modified BRM-S and its fantastic and the bigger knob works well. At 13 ozs - it also weighs a few ounces less than Harris with separate LARUE mount.

Does the knob lock the swivel up just as tight as a pod-lock?

grunz
11-15-09, 19:45
Cant say, never tried a podlock.

Surf
11-15-09, 21:39
S version as I am not a benchrest shooter. However shooting from only a bench, I have never needed any type of anti swivel lock.

Apollo11
11-15-09, 22:12
The Pod Loc will get it tighter than most anything out there. Way tighter than you can get it by tightening the knob. Triad Tactical keeps these in stock, and has GTG service (I am in no way apart of Triad, just bought from them before).

Captains1911
11-16-09, 08:58
OK, last question: Does anybody know if the knob on the LaRue modified BRM-S can be replaced with a pod-lock?

CDDM416
11-16-09, 09:34
i have a harris bi-pod that i bought a few years ago, it is the swivel model and yes there is a knob on the front that locks after you get to where you want it, i never got around to useing it, i dont remember how much i paid for it , and im not going to go back and research the cost, make me a offer and ad $10 for shipping and its yours..

ETA. i just checked and it will fit in a small USPS box, so $5 is good for shipping.

Captains1911
11-16-09, 12:32
i have a harris bi-pod that i bought a few years ago, it is the swivel model and yes there is a knob on the front that locks after you get to where you want it, i never got around to useing it, i dont remember how much i paid for it , and im not going to go back and research the cost, make me a offer and ad $10 for shipping and its yours..

ETA. i just checked and it will fit in a small USPS box, so $5 is good for shipping.

What length legs, 6"-9" or 9"-13"? Thanks.

CDDM416
11-16-09, 12:51
its a 9"X13" also the knob is not like your pic, it is a smaller knerd knob.

Captains1911
11-16-09, 13:04
its a 9"X13" also the knob is not like your pic, it is a smaller knerd knob.

I actually wanted to get the shorter legs, thanks anyway.

CDDM416
11-16-09, 13:18
ok, no problem, back on the shelf it goes, now i dont have to dust it. good luck.:D

Bimmer
11-16-09, 19:48
ok, no problem, back on the shelf it goes, now i dont have to dust it. good luck.:D

Whoa! Don't put it back! I'll take it off your hands!

I've been looking for a 9-13" swivelling Harris bipod for months and months. I thought I was going to have to wait until at least X-mas...

E-mail is already inbound...

Bimmer

CDDM416
11-17-09, 16:51
Whoa! Don't put it back! I'll take it off your hands!

I've been looking for a 9-13" swivelling Harris bipod for months and months. I thought I was going to have to wait until at least X-mas...

E-mail is already inbound...

Bimmer

reply sent, sorry it took so long, phone line has been down.:(