PDA

View Full Version : Home Invasion Suspect Shot and Killed Early Saturday Morning

Abraxas
11-14-09, 21:12
Of course it is warranted!! They made the choice to enter, the owner did not invite them. What is wrong with our society for this to even be a question?

I did not start the thread, why is my post on top?

DragonDoc
11-14-09, 21:16
Saw this while roaming the net. Of particular interest is the part where they are investigating whether or not the shooting was justified.

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=11506304
http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=11506304

Home Invasion Suspect Shot and Killed Early Saturday Morning
Posted: Nov 14, 2009 5:26 PM CST Updated: Nov 14, 2009 5:26 PM CST

For the second time in three days a home invasion suspect has been shot and killed by a homeowner after breaking into a home.

According to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department around 2:00am Saturday two armed suspects attempted to break into a house near Durango and Grand Teton in Northwest Las Vegas.

After making their way into the home one of the suspects went into one of the bedrooms and grabbed the 13-year-old son.The father who had heard the noises grabbed his magnum 40 handgun and waited for the suspects to make their way towards him in.

The suspect then let the son go and began walking toward the office where the father was. The father then jumped out and shot the suspect once in the chest. The suspect was pronounced dead on the scene. The other suspect fled the scene and at this time his whereabouts are unknown.

Metro is currently investigating the shooting to see if it was warranted. If you have any information about the whereabouts of the second suspect you are asked to call Crimestoppers at 385-5555.

DragonDoc
11-14-09, 21:24
Of course it is warranted!! They made the choice to enter, the owner did not invite them. What is wrong with our society for this to even be a question?

This is the second time that I have started a thread and the first person to respond ends up as the first poster.

Irish
11-14-09, 21:29
I'd like to buy him a beer for getting one more criminal off of the streets in Vegas! In all seriousness I hope the family recovers quickly from what could potentially be a very emotionally & financially trying time.

Irish
11-14-09, 21:30

Something's wrong with the server clock I believe...

Kentucky Cop
11-14-09, 21:39
Interesting. We just had one of these shootings here that sparked the same type of debate. A drunk college kid drove home from the bars and pulled into what he believed was his driveway. When he got to the front door and couldn't get in do to it being locked, the drunk kid began pounding on the door with his fists extremely hard at 3am. The homeowner, fired thru the door and killed the kid. Police took the door to examine it and found no dents to indicate foot kicks or extreme hits. To end this story, the "homeowner" happened to be a felon in possession of a handgun and a frequent flier for metro and was not charged due to the Castle Doctrine law. Sorry to side track........

Curious to see how this turns out, keep us posted Irish Luck!
Ky Cop

woodandsteel
11-14-09, 21:41
I'd like to buy him a beer for getting one more criminal off of the streets in Vegas!..

Irish, since this is your stomping ground, what kind of area did this occur in? Is it a nicer neighborhood? Poorer neighborhood? Or just a run of the mill neighborhood?

Not that it matters. Grabbing someone's kid is pretty much asking for it.

Irish
11-14-09, 21:42
Irish, since this is your stomping ground, what kind of area did this occur in? Is it a nicer neighborhood? Poorer neighborhood? Or just a run of the mill neighborhood?

From what I know of the area it's pretty nice, average middle class area, it's definitely not one of the bad parts of town by any means. I live in the extreme SW part of the valley and this is extreme north side of the valley.

Kentucky Cop
11-14-09, 21:48

Totally justified shooting. Agree with all here....;)

kmrtnsn
11-14-09, 21:53
Before we do too much back clapping we should find out why they picked this house. 9 times out of 10 with these "home invasions" it is one drug dealer ripping off another.

chadbag
11-14-09, 21:56
Before we do too much back clapping we should find out why they picked this house. 9 times out of 10 with these "home invasions" it is one drug dealer ripping off another.

Even if it was it was justified (given the public facts). You don't grab another person's kid nor violate his home.

parishioner
11-14-09, 21:57
While someone with a gun grabbing your kid is more than justified, a perp merely setting foot in a house with a gun is justified. Good shooting.

Thomas M-4
11-14-09, 22:03
If the suspect broke into the home he got what he deserved period.
I don't care if the home owner used a used 155mm howitzer.

Jerm
11-14-09, 22:18

Is that a stat you've seen or just a guess?

Based on a compilation of media reports...

http://www.nrapublications.org/a1f/AFFlead.html

The most frequently reported crime prevented by armed citizens has been home invasion. The 1,067 home invasions thwarted by armed citizens comprise more than one-fourth of the total count. Some involve prior contact or some form of domestic abuse, but the vast majority are apparently random attacks....

Types of Crimes:
Home invasion ..................1067
Business burglary/robbery.. 934
Assault.............................. 661
Domestic Disputes.............. 354
Street robbery.................... 289
Altercation* .......................210
Street property theft........... 87
Trespassing......................... 64
Carjacking........................... 61
Private security................... 40
Fugitive..............................20
Kidnapping.......................... 18
Rape...................................17
Road rage...........................16
Social breakdown................11
Stalking..............................9
Drive-by shooting................7
Arson................................. 2

photosniper
11-14-09, 22:43
Kudos to the homeowner. And I want to know where I can get one of those magnum 40 handguns!

bulbvivid
11-14-09, 23:43
Kudos to the homeowner. And I want to know where I can get one of those magnum 40 handguns!

.40 caliber, comes with a fake 'stache and a Hawaiian shirt. The Ferrari is an expensive option but includes a holster that matches the car's interior.

Macx
11-14-09, 23:51
I did a google search & . . . . well, all I can say is the magnum 40 must be a top secret, special agent gun. More rare than a P7M7 I reckon.

Abraxas
11-15-09, 07:24

Even if that was the case, then who cares, another drug dealer off the streets. But the way I see it, when you go into someone elses home, to do illegal acts, then you have just made the decision that your life is worth what ever is inside or whatever action you are going to commit.

sandman99and9
11-15-09, 08:31
I did a google search & . . . . well, all I can say is the magnum 40 must be a top secret, special agent gun. More rare than a P7M7 I reckon.

I would have used my .88 magnum :D:D
" It shoots through schools "

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/sandman99and9/johnnydangerously.jpg

S.M.

Iraqgunz
11-15-09, 12:19
I wouldn't read into the part about seeing if the shooting was warranted. More than likely the reporter screwed up his words just like he did with the magnum 40 pistol. We all know most of these idiots can't write or report worth a damn.

rubberneck
11-15-09, 12:39
For a short time S&W made a revolver chambered in .41 magnum, or the reporter could have screwed up by misidentifying the 40S&W as a magnum caliber. Either way good on the homeowner for defending his family and his home.

ROGOPGEAR
11-15-09, 14:11

breaking into a home is pretty much asking for it, much less grabbing the kid.

woodandsteel
11-15-09, 14:20
breaking into a home is pretty much asking for it, much less grabbing the kid.

You guys are right.

I shouldn't have just said grabbing the kid. Breaking into someones home is also asking for it. But grabbing someone's kid makes it worse.

browningboy84
11-15-09, 15:04
You guys are right.

I shouldn't have just said grabbing the kid. Breaking into someones home is also asking for it. But grabbing someone's kid makes it worse.

I am a paramedic and I make my money savin lives. That said, if someone broke into my house, they MIGHT make it out alive. Touch my dogs, or any of my family, 2 to the chest, 1 to the head, dead perp, call me a lawyer to deal with the cops. EMS would not work that code. My buddy is the asst chief as well. Some folks have a lot of brass to screw with one's family like that and not expect to pay in blood.

dookie1481
11-15-09, 17:16
From what I know of the area it's pretty nice, average middle class area, it's definitely not one of the bad parts of town by any means. I live in the extreme SW part of the valley and this is extreme north side of the valley.

My friend used to live right over there. It is a new neighborhood, though not necessarily "nice". Unfortunately thanks to Barney Frank et al. anyone with a minimum wage job could buy a house in Vegas for years...so neighborhoods like this often are populated by many people that you wouldn't want to live next door to.

Another issue in Vegas is that many times nice developments and low-rent apartments are literally right next to each other. My GF's old apartment was right up against Section 8 housing. And Spanish Hills, where LeBron James has a home, is about a quarter mile away. There isn't much stratification in the suburbs here.

Jay

MarshallDodge
11-16-09, 23:41
Looks justified to me.

It's called a 10mm. ;)

Lincoln7
11-17-09, 00:03
It's called a 10mm. ;)

I can't believe it took this long for someone to state this. That's pretty funny.
Serious note: seems completely justified.

11Bravo
11-17-09, 19:11
I would have used my .88 magnum :D:D
" It shoots through schools "
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/sandman99and9/johnnydangerously.jpg
S.M.
My brother used an .88 magnum once.
Once.

:D:D:D