PDA

View Full Version : Selector Lever/Adjust Your Grip?

M4Fundi
11-15-09, 03:35
When going from low ready position into firing position how much does your hand have to adjust to put selector lever on fire?

On my FAL I do not have to adjust my grip at all (L1A1 selector:)), but on my M4 its a significant amount of repositioning my hand on & off grip to move selector to fire.:confused: I feel that it severely reduces my reliability to engage a threat with smoothness & speed:eek:

Is this normal or do I need to change selector lever or change the backstrap on my MIAD to a thinner one?

I like the thickest backstrap on the MIAD for length of pull and keeping my "damaged wrist" more at a 90 degree angle, but if I "need" to change it I will... or to a longer selector http://www.dlsports.com/tactical_safety_selector_switch.html

or thicker selector
http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=872

I know I can switch out MIAD back & check, but since I'm working with the "unknown" of what is the norm (b/c of wrist injury:() I thought I'd see what is considered normal before doing surgery on my grip or selector lever. Thanks

Failure2Stop
11-15-09, 11:30
I use the thin backstrap so use of the selector requires no repositioning of the hand.

nutnless220
11-15-09, 11:43
I use the Ergo grip. It sucks for LOP, but is great for not having to shift at all for safety engagement.

M4Fundi
11-15-09, 23:22
So there is no perfect fix?

Its a trade off btwn LOP or LOT (Length Of Thumb:p)?

It seems like someone would have atleast made a trigger that is set further forward...I know easier said than done:mad:

I think I'm going to get the D&L extended selector and see if I can get away with the medium MIAD backstrap:confused:

Thanks for the answers

Failure2Stop
11-16-09, 02:55
So there is no perfect fix?

The MIAD with thin backstrap is the perfect fix for me.
The A1 grip is also good, as is the A2 with the finger bump ground off.

ETA- LOP (Length of pull) is measuerd from the face of the trigger to the back of the butt-stock. Grip has nothing to do with the "real" definition of length of pull, though it will certainly affect hand placement and trigger-finger interface.

M4Fundi
11-16-09, 05:25
I understand the correct def of LOP, but figgered y'all would understand what I meant. Thanks for all the info. I needed to deal with my "unknown" and will probably switch out backstraps tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thought about you & IraqNinja today while I was shoveling snow...wished I could send y'all some;)

Thanks Again & Stay Safe