PDA

View Full Version : Morale Patches

Sparky5019
11-15-09, 13:21
Does anyone have any GOOD QUALITY sources for patches. I have scoured the usual suspects and order plenty but am looking for some of the acronyms that I have seen.

Williams & Williams has some of them but the photos look like questionable quality (compared to MSM); any experience here?

Thanks,

Sparky

firecop019
11-15-09, 13:48
try http://www.lapolicegear.com/mopachthou.html

Is that what you were looking for, I'm so getting the tactical trunk monkey and the secret squirrel ones.

kmrtnsn
11-15-09, 13:49
Or you could get them from LAPG's source; MilspecMonkey.com.

Sparky5019
11-15-09, 14:05
I got a bunch from MSM and just bought a "Don't Tread on Me" from Gadsden & Culpeper along with a "Come and Take It". Williams & Williams (www.nametags4u.com) has a bunch of the acronyms like BOHICA, COTDA, SNAFU but the photos look a little rough in the quality department; I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them! I found some at Supply Captain also and their quality looks good...it migh just boil down to photography as I can't imagine more than one maybe two companies making these!

Thanks,

Sparky

d90king
11-15-09, 14:08
Greygroup (they have a link on here now) has a couple pages of them if memory serves me. I love the "Embrace the Suck" personally.....http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/-strse-PATCHES/Categories.bok

d90king
11-15-09, 14:09
Also noticed that there sale started today. Looks like a lot of patches are 1/2 off...

Sparky5019
11-15-09, 14:13
Thanks,

Check them out now...I think I have to have the "American Jedi"

Sparky

Iraq Ninja
11-15-09, 14:14
The MWR sub forum over at Lightfighter.net has some of the best sources for moral patches, especially the new ones.

Patches should mean something about the person, their attitude or his experiences. Infidel patches make a statement. Fun meter patches are cool, but normally used by military folks in shitty situations. Don't just get a patch because you like pirates or monkeys. Do you even know what a trunk monkey is, and how the Subaru monkey commercials became associated with "tactical"?

It helps to know the background of the patches you are interested in, especially if they are related to the military. It may prevent some embarrassing questions.

A lot of the pirate style patches have their basis in the SEALs.

d90king
11-15-09, 14:19
The MWR sub forum over at Lightfighter.net has some of the best sources for moral patches, especially the new ones.

Patches should mean something about the person, their attitude or his experiences. Infidel patches make a statement. Fun meter patches are cool, but normally used by military folks in shitty situations. Don't just get a patch because you like pirates or monkeys. Do you even know what a trunk monkey is, and how the Subaru monkey commercials became associated with "tactical"?

It helps to know the background of the patches you are interested in, especially if they are related to the military. It may prevent some embarrassing questions.

Thanks for the clarification Ninja... Embracing the suck works well for me and it is certainly something I can relate to these days...:D Is it offensive to serviceman when you see a civ with a patch that has a mil origin?

cop1211
11-15-09, 14:30
omlpatches.com has some good ones, especially the "ultimate patch"

LockenLoad
11-15-09, 14:36

that's a very good point, but pirate patches were around long before the Seals, at least that's what Blackbeard said :p, would you be so kind to tell the tactical trunk monkey story.

firecop019
11-15-09, 14:42
Nope, my coworkers always make fun of me because I've got the slug gun in the trunk and a rifle in the rack up front. I so need one of those monkey's for my patrol car though. I love the theft deterrent system and the date one. The cop one is cute too! The secret squirrel goes with the job both domestic and abroad. The magnet one would be very appropriate for me too.

Iraq Ninja
11-15-09, 14:43
Generally no, but I just wanted to pass it on. Honestly, no real harm is done by any patch you wear, especially if you don't mind looking stupid in the eyes of some folks. :)

I was never a SEAL and would never want to wear a SEAL patch or shirt out of respect. I don't do the "pirate" thing either for the same reason.

Marines tend not to like people who are not Marines wearing their stuff, especially a cover :)

Oh, and never let a real Ranger catch you wearing a Ranger Tab shirt or patch.

Taliban Hunting patches should not be worn by those who never ventured outside of CONUS, unless they are a Predator pilot. :)

I bought trunk monkey patches to give to my trunk monkeys. I bought the "do no harm, do know harm" patches for my medics.

LockenLoad
11-15-09, 14:49
Generally no, but I just wanted to pass it on. Honestly, no real harm is done by any patch you wear, especially if you don't mind looking stupid in the eyes of some folks. :)

I was never a SEAL and would never want to wear a SEAL patch or shirt out of respect. I don't do the "pirate" thing either for the same reason.

Marines tend not to like people who are not Marines wearing their stuff, especially a cover :)

Taliban Hunting patches should not be worn by those who never ventured outside of CONUS, unless they are a Predator pilot. :)

I bought trunk monkey patches to give to my trunk monkeys. I bought the "do no harm, do know harm" patches for my medics.

yea anyone wearing a Patch that does not apply to them would be stupid, I saw a Marine get heated at the beach because a guy had a desert camo hat on, no insignia's just a plain hat.

d90king
11-15-09, 14:57

Oh God... Yeah I guess there are those kinds out there too. I would never consider wearing at anytime anything that would imply I was in the service. I just didn't know if some of those which were kinda funny etc, but I guess have their roots from the military, if those patches offended in the same manner as some jerk off wearing a unit patch etc... I think I will stick with a simple flag and Embrace the Suck.;) I think I am safe with those...

Sparky5019
11-15-09, 15:14
Ninja,

Thanks, I'll check that forum. I agree; I would never wear a "military specific" patch that would minimize (in my eyes) another's service as I have never been in the service. I admire and appreciate those of you who are/have and would never want to do anything to steal your thunder as you earned every bit of it!

Thanks for the leads, I'll follow them up!

Sparky

fourXfour
11-15-09, 18:53
I love the morale patches. The only one I actually wear is the secret squirrel patch. I was doing a surveillance and had it on my sweatshirt. I got a few laughs from the guys at work. Unfortunately the old lady has taken it and I may never see it again.

If it's in good taste, I'd love to see and hear the meaning of some of the patches floating around. Is there anything meaningful for the typical gun loving civvie? The various Spartan patches seem popular and I really like the "regular guy" rocker.

kmrtnsn
11-15-09, 18:58
I am not a farmer, nor have I ever had the opportunity to fight zombies but I do have the "zombie hunter" patch on my armor and the "I'm a lead farmer, motha****a!" patch on a gearbag. Sometimes you just need a little bit of humor.

Outlander Systems
11-15-09, 21:16
If MSM offered the "Cute Valkyrie" in more colours I'd finally bite one of his patches.

He needs some Viking shit on there.

LockenLoad
11-16-09, 02:14
I am not a farmer, nor have I ever had the opportunity to fight zombies but I do have the "zombie hunter" patch on my armor and the "I'm a lead farmer, motha****a!" patch on a gearbag. Sometimes you just need a little bit of humor.

what a great movie and line where did you get that patch please

firecop019
11-16-09, 02:27
that's a very good point, but pirate patches were around long before the Seals, at least that's what Blackbeard said :p, would you be so kind to tell the tactical trunk monkey story.

Trunk Monkey Ads (http://http://www.trunkmonkeyad.com/)

Theres a few more on youtube I think too.

Iraq Ninja
11-16-09, 02:47
The trunk monkey adverts are only a small part of the story. They first came out around 2000 I think. It later became a slang term for the rear gunner in a vehicle, normally the last one. We used to call it the gunship or war wagon until those terms were not PC. Gunships are normally used in PSD ops, be it CONUS or OCONUS.

The rear gunner sits in the back of the vehicle, where the trunk normally would be. It is a tough job, like being the drummer in the band (same mentality I think..lol).

You can also have trunk monkeys in other vehicles, depending on the team SOPs.

Rear gunners have now become rear observers, since it sounds more PC.

The military picked up the term to signify a gunner on their vehicles, normally the top gunner.

Another terms is "window licker" for the guys in the back seats whose only job is that of a shooter. Their arc of fire is normally to the sides, thus you see them looking out like a kid on a school bus...

LockenLoad
11-16-09, 14:07
thank you gentleman for the education, much appreciated

Luckystiff
11-17-09, 12:41
I would love to get a 1369 patch (unlucky cock sucker). Very common slang in the LE world since we talk in numbers half the time anyway.

JHC
11-17-09, 19:32
Damn! That's funny! :D

Dirk Williams
11-18-09, 01:55
I see those patch's on lots of kit in these threads. Often wondered what the real meaning is or was. I assume these guys wearing the patchs on their gear are high speed mother ****ers.

I recently was given a Noveske pig by the Noveske folks in Grants Pass. I like it alot and what it stands for but will never put it on a vehicle or my gear.

I'd like to commission a patch for the new movie "Men Who Talk With Goats". That might turn a few heads.

If you guys know the stories behind the patchs would you mind educating me I'm interested in learning their meaning and history.

Dirk

Chameleox
11-18-09, 09:56
I would love to get a 1369 patch (unlucky cock sucker). Very common slang in the LE world since we talk in numbers half the time anyway.

I never heard that one. Sounds funny. You'll have to explain it.

Outlander Systems
11-18-09, 10:03
13 = Unlucky
69 = Fallatio

Chameleox
11-18-09, 10:36
That works.

cynical
11-18-09, 16:07
What, no MCLMM fans?

Luckystiff
11-18-09, 17:59
RE: 1369

Last time I heard it over the air it went like this:

Dumb ass runs off the road and hits a sign and a small pine tree.

Sgt. - "What's your primary TC factor?" (he is asking me what caused the accident, like speeding, turning, talking on a cell phone, etc)

ME - "1369" :p

Sgt. - "I don't think that is in the drop down box"

ME - "Can we add it?"

The guy had no idea why he drove off the road in a 20 MPH zone in the middle of the day and hit a sign and a tree. :confused:

Abraxas
11-18-09, 18:43

Love it!

Iraq Ninja
11-19-09, 19:36
What about patches for the wives and girlfriends?

I have seen this one a few times...

http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/yhst-11620643257986_2060_7339296

kmrtnsn
11-19-09, 23:57
IN, Thanks Bro! My wife just saw that patch, looking at the screen over my shoulder. It's all over for me now.