PDA

View Full Version : Warren/Sevigny Carry SIGHTS

TEXAS_GLOCKER
11-15-09, 15:52
Need a little help here guys. I'm looking for some good carry sights for my Glocks. I have one set of XS Big Dots on one of my 19's but Im not completely sold on them just yet. Im new to the site and Ive noticed from looking around that alot of guys using Warren Sevigny's. I checked them out on the web and I cant decide betwwen the plain rear and trij front or the 2 dot version. If someone could be so kind to post some pics of these two sights actually on the gun and a brief description of why you like them I would greatly appreciate the help. :D

Thanks---Josh

SWATcop556
11-15-09, 18:37
I don't use the Warren sights on my duty gun (I have the 10-8 sight set) but I do have them on my G19. I personally use the plain rear sights with a tritium front. I used the three-dot setup for years and my OCD about having the three dots lined up just perfectly was slowing me down, even though I had a nice tight group at 25 feet.

When I switched to the plain rear and began to focus on just the front sight my times greatly improved and my group size difference was negligable. I personally see no need for the rear tritium.

I was also concerned about low light and no light shooting and not being able to line my sights up without the rear tritium but with good fundamentals and lots of practice, this is a none issue.

FWIW I love the Warrens sights and will probably be putting them on my newest G17.

The 10-8's are another good viable option.

John_Wayne777
11-15-09, 19:37
The appeal of the Warren sights are a very wide rear notch which helps you get a sight picture more quickly than other sighting systems.

I don't use the Sevigny cut sights, as I prefer the sort of batman cut on the regular Warren sights. Less of the target is obscured with the standard warren sights which believe it or not really does help (in my opinion, anyway) when trying to engage moving targets or engaging targets on the move.

I greatly prefer the Warren 3 dot sight arrangement because it allows me to have a more accurate reference sighting reference at speed than the 2 dot systems. The 2 dot system works, but the vertical spread of my shots in low light was sub-optimal. I always had trouble getting the right spacing between the two dots. With the Warren 3 dot system the two rear dots are smaller and subdued while the front is standard sized and bright, resulting in a very bright front dot and dimmer rears...which draws your focus naturally to the front sight.

While we were doing low light work in Ken Hackathorn's pistol class back in October I was continually impressed with just how great that setup worked for me. In low light I was shooting at the same speed and with actually slightly better accuracy than I was exhibiting in daylight primarily because of how easy it was to use that sighting arrangement even with a "threat focused" sighting method.

I find standard 3 dot systems (where all 3 dots are the same size and brightness) to be a huge pain in the ass because the rear sights are too big and too bright, making the front sight harder to see. The Warren setup, however, gives me a natural front sight focus and a good enough reference that I can see "Ok, I'm a little bit high...that one was a little bit low...that one was a bit to the right..." etc.

I've used the 3 dot Warren system in a fair bit of low light shooting in the last 18 months and short of a laser it's the best deal going, in my opinion.

TEXAS_GLOCKER
11-15-09, 20:06
thanks guys, some really good info, keep'em coming. anyone have some pics?

Mate
11-15-09, 21:33
This is from Todd G's site

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c245/USMC-to-be/warren-mp-ns.jpg

I used this setup for awhile, but recently went to all black heinies. I might go back to the warrens, as it was very fast, and not cluttered at all.

Sone
11-15-09, 22:15
I like the Warren sites for my duty gun

SecretNY
11-15-09, 23:21
All my duty guns (3) have warrens..

skyugo
11-16-09, 00:11
how do the warren 2-dots compare to the heinie straight 8's?
i know the straight 8 uses setscrews.. which i don't think i like... prefer a press fit...
maybe not a big deal?
my trijis are press in and they've given me no grief whatsoever.

DocGKR
11-16-09, 00:52
Our G19's run 3 dot Warren's--bright green front, dim yellow back; these work well.

Irish
11-16-09, 02:19
Our G19's run 3 dot Warren's--bright green front, dim yellow back; these work well.

I'm in the process of researching these for mounting on my G19. Where can you get the best prices on the Warrens?

Irish
11-16-09, 07:14
Thanks Marc. Insomnias a bitch...

M4arc
11-16-09, 07:14
I'm in the process of researching these for mounting on my G19. Where can you get the best prices on the Warrens?

Brownells and SKD Tactical seem to have the best inventory. I don't know about the best price but they usually have all configurations in stock. Also, contact GotM4 here on the board and check with him.

JW_777 brings up a very good point about the 3-dot configuration. I takes me much longer to line up my shots (vertically) with my Heinie Straight Eights than it does with standard 3-dot sights. I might need to try the 3-dots on my G26 and G19 and see how it goes!

Irish
11-16-09, 07:18
FYI Server clock is still messed up.

M4arc
11-16-09, 07:21
FYI Server clock is still messed up.

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have a status for you all at this time.

mark5pt56
11-16-09, 07:22
Brownells and SKD Tactical seem to have the best inventory. I don't know about the best price but they usually have all configurations in stock. Also, contact GotM4 here on the board and check with him.

JW_777 brings up a very good point about the 3-dot configuration. I takes me much longer to line up my shots (vertically) with my Heinie Straight Eights than it does with standard 3-dot sights. I might need to try the 3-dots on my G26 and G19 and see how it goes!

It's just what your "minds eye" is used to. You should be going off the steel if referring to daytime.

What you can do with the 3 dots is open up the rear channel. I did mine on the 26 and it makes a world of difference. I can do that for you if you want and after you look at mine.

M4arc
11-16-09, 07:28
It's just what your "minds eye" is used to. You should be going off the steel if referring to daytime.

What you can do with the 3 dots is open up the rear channel. I did mine on the 26 and it makes a world of difference. I can do that for you if you want and after you look at mine.

Sounds good, I'll catch up with you when I get back in town.

Did you buy a sight pusher?

mark5pt56
11-16-09, 07:32
how do the warren 2-dots compare to the heinie straight 8's?
i know the straight 8 uses setscrews.. which i don't think i like... prefer a press fit...
maybe not a big deal?
my trijis are press in and they've given me no grief whatsoever.

My Heinie has the set screw--as a secondary. They still go in with a press and are very secure, I have at least 15k without issue on this one.

Rider79
11-16-09, 20:10

I ordered all of mine here:

http://mle-shootingsports.com/Sights-WTS-Sights/c7_28/p87/WTS-Warren-Tactical-Sets/product_info.html?osCsid=cgjoj21uuebb0scngossdo8737

The guy ships super fast and throws in a bunch of little extras with the order. I don't know if he still has the deal but when I ordered the shipping was free if it was over $100. I have the 2 dot set on all my Glocks with the exception of one of my 19s that has the plain rear.