PDA

View Full Version : NFA first-timer with questions

tiger seven
03-05-07, 13:05
Well, I think I'm just about ready to get going on my SBR. I have my lower (thanks again, Grant) and I have my Form 1s and my fingerprint cards. I also have a few questions. I've owned dozens of firearms over the years, but this is my first foray into NFA territory. I'd like to get some input from people who have gone through the process recently, as I've learned that government procedures can change suddenly, frequently, unexpectedly and completely unannounced.

CALIBER: Initially, it's going to be 5.56, but I may consider a 6.8 upper or something else in the future. Should I go ahead and list the other calibers on my Form 1, or should I just put 5.56 and worry about the other stuff later? A local Class III dealer said, "Put every caliber you ever think you might want on the Form 1. That way you're covered." Is that good advice?

BARREL LENGTH: My first choice is an LMT 10.5" upper, but I may get an 11.5" in the future as well as some other options. Again, should I list all of these, or just the 10.5"? The same dealer gave me similar advice on this matter, suggesting I list every barrel length I may ever want. Frankly, this dealer has been a little flaky on a variety of issues, so I'm hesitant to take his word at face value. Opinions?

INTENT: I'm looking for a reasonable response to "State Why You Intend to Make Firearm." I have heard a variety of things from "Any and all lawful purposes" to "Personal collection" to "I want one." What's an answer that will satisfy the BATFE but doesn't make me sound like a smartass? :)

CoC: Do I need to fill out the Certificate of Compliance? I have the forms just in case, but would like to make sure. Some say yes. Some say no. Some have said it can't hurt, so send them in anyway. I guess I could just call the local BATFE office, couldn't I? :o

ENGRAVING: If I'm approved for the SBR, the required engraving consists basically of my name and the city in which I live, as it appears on my Form 1, engraved on the lower in a clearly visible location. Correct? Aren't there some ATF guidelines on the engraving? Anyone have a link for that?

I think that's most of it. I know I need two copies of everything, and I have the address in WV to send the forms and check to. I need to call the local Sheriff's Office and get some info from them and I should hopefully be good to go. Is there anything else I might be missing? Am I overlooking anything? Are there any common first-timer mistakes that you NFA/Title II veterans might help me avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Derek

davidp14
03-06-07, 06:37
Id put the shortest total length that you'd conisder using on your SBR.
I agree with your friends advice of putting any caliber you might use. My MG is registered in .22lr, .223, and 9mm.

I just put "collection and investment" for my intent. Although, Ive heard that just about anything but "To go postal" will work.;)

Fill out the CoC. It takes 1 minute to do and won't hurt you.

There is a minimum depth requirement for the engraving but I forget what that is. Someone will be along to tell you. You can get your lower engraved before your form 1 is approved to avoid having to ship an NFA item.