PDA

View Full Version : KAC rail covers

Pappabear
11-16-09, 03:42
I bought several KAC rail covers and I cant get them to latch down on my Dan Defense rail? The fit on the first and or last notch, but none in -between? And they struggle a bit with my Colt as well?

I fought like hell getting them on and off and it was a pain in the ass. Any suggestions on this or what rail cover do you consider to be better. Thought I was getting the best?

THellURider
11-16-09, 06:48
If you were to look at a KAC rail you'd see that they have particular notches for the KAC panels to lock into. Most other Picatinny rails don't have this notch cut.

Someone on here can probably explain it better than that because I haven't seen a KAC rail in sometime.

Belmont31R
11-16-09, 12:05
Yeah they only lock into the rail slot that has the notch cut. Look at your rail, and you'll see on the 1st actual rail there is a relief cut the others don't have.

As far as getting them on and off Ive never had a problem with any of my rails. Just have to depress the tab before sliding it over the rail.

If you want covers in a specific spot Id get Magpul XTM's.

Quib
11-16-09, 13:41
I’ve been able to get KAC panels to lock onto rails without the notches, by sliding the panel into the desired position, then lifting up on the locking tab with a small flat-tip screwdriver. Might be worth a try.

tweakmeister
11-20-09, 00:16
KAC rails slide down the rail, they don't pop on directly. Make sure you are sliding them on!

You're right, they only fit where the rail is notched. The URX has several notches for a lot of great configurations. Otherwise, most rails have notches on the ends (like Larue, DD, etc.).

motorolahamm
11-20-09, 09:25
Try the screwdriver trick that quib said above always works for me aswell.

Lumpy196
11-20-09, 10:35
Try the screwdriver trick that quib said above always works for me aswell.

I have serious doubts about the ability of that to keep it locked in place for anything beyond photo ops, sitting in the safe and the quarterly weekend trip to the range.

Quib
11-20-09, 22:57
Edit I: Can't get the video to up-load.

Edit II: Still have doubts......see video below.

Iraq Ninja
11-20-09, 23:03
I have serious doubts about the ability of that to keep it locked in place for anything beyond photo ops, sitting in the safe and the quarterly weekend trip to the range.

I have found more than a few in parking lots, most often after they have been run over by a vehicle.

Quib
11-20-09, 23:21
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/th_KAC.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/?action=view&current=KAC.flv)

motorolahamm
11-21-09, 10:58
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/th_KAC.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/?action=view&current=KAC.flv)

Anyone Still in Doubt ????

Quib
11-21-09, 11:10
Anyone Still in Doubt ????

I had to stop smacking the rail cover at about the 20 sec. point in the video. You can see the cover start to give way under the abuse of the hammer. If I hadn’t stopped, I would have destroyed either the rail cover, locking clip, or taken a chunk out of my rails at that position.

At the beginning of the video, as I insert the screw driver and pry up, you can hear two distinctive “clicks” as each end of the clip is lifted up and engages the rail slot.

One drawback, if you can even consider it a draw back, is this locks the cover into position requiring that the locking clip be lifted completely out of the rail cover on one side, in order to slide the cover free from the rail.

So, if you lock a cover in place using this method, it is locked in pretty damn secure requiring the use of tools to remove.

rychencop
11-21-09, 13:00

hmmmm...i'm not sure. it moved a bit when you were beating it with the hammer.:D

Quib
11-21-09, 13:38
hmmmm...i'm not sure. it moved a bit when you were beating it with the hammer.:D

LOL.....like I stated above, if I was to hit it any harder, I would have done permanent damage. Through normal use or abuse, however you want to look at it, that cover is not going anywhere.

If someone runs over that particular KAC panel in the parking lot, they’ll be running over my entire weapon. Because, that’s where the panel will be attached. ;)

RetreatHell
11-21-09, 14:47
I've used the same technique as Quib described and demonstrated with 3 KAC panels on my DD 12" Lite rail and have had no problems thus far with them coming loose.
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv219/RetreatHell/BCM%20SBR/BCM%20Middy/IMG_1058.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv219/RetreatHell/BCM%20SBR/BCM%20Middy/IMG_1059.jpg

I actually just figured that out myself, as I never had any experience with KAC panels before I bought my SR-15 E3. I either use a knife of flathead screwdriver to pry the locking tabs upward until I hear a click on each side.

Like Quib said though, you have to also use a screwdriver to get them back off again. I press the screwdriver hard as hell down in the middle of the locking tab until I hear a loud click, then press down on the tab with my finger, like you normally would, in order to slide them off the entire rail.

If I ever do run into problems with them coming off during use, I'll make sure to post an update. But thus far, as of almost 1,000 rounds fired through this upper, I haven't had any problems with them.

Semper Fi,

-Paul

Quib
11-29-09, 07:42
If I ever do run into problems with them coming off during use, I'll make sure to post an update.
-Paul

Please keep us updated Paul. :)

Jaysop
01-11-12, 21:51
I know this thread is 3 years old and as dead as can be,
Im considering this method for attaching some KAC panels
but this quote below has me thinking.

So, if you lock a cover in place using this method, it is locked in pretty damn secure requiring the use of tools to remove.

Has anyone whos done this ever had a serious issue getting them off without prying them off or something?

I dont plan on removing them often but maybe reorganizing my rail, or cleaning, something of that nature. But I dont really want to bust out a tool kit for that.

buckjay
01-11-12, 22:26
What I've done is lock it in with two ladder pieces on both sides.

Might not always work for you, but it works fine for me, plus no damage to the rail.

I put a single ladder in the front, and push the KAC panel towards the front (into the single piece) and then put down another 2+ ladder piece. You may have to trim the last piece of the ladder in the back to have it fit.

But once in place the KAC panel is rock solid and doesn't even move a mm.

Worth a shot.

Dave

Jaysop
01-11-12, 22:30
What I've done is lock it in with two ladder pieces on both sides.

Might not always work for you, but it works fine for me, plus no damage to the rail.

I put a single ladder in the front, and push the KAC panel towards the front (into the single piece) and then put down another 2+ ladder piece. You may have to trim the last piece of the ladder in the back to have it fit.

But once in place the KAC panel is rock solid and doesn't even move a mm.

Worth a shot.

Dave

Thats what ive seen people doing in pictures. How long do you think that would really last for under harsh conditions?

Its funny I don't ever remember having this problem with issued rifles.

Leonidas24
01-11-12, 22:41
I know this thread is 3 years old and as dead as can be,
Im considering this method for attaching some KAC panels
but this quote below has me thinking.

Has anyone whos done this ever had a serious issue getting them off without prying them off or something?

I dont plan on removing them often but maybe reorganizing my rail, or cleaning, something of that nature. But I dont really want to bust out a tool kit for that.

It's relatively easy to get them off with the same flat tip screw driver you use to get them on. Just continue with the motion until the metal locking tab dislocates itself from the panel, remove locking tab from panel, remove panel from rail, and reinsert the locking tab into the panel. Easy.

Jaysop
01-11-12, 23:01
So it all can be done with a leatherman need be. Sounds good ill be giving that a try as well.
Thanks for the answers