PDA

View Full Version : Cutting an angle in LMT Sopmod?

MikeCLeonard
11-16-09, 04:50
I like to have the buttpad on my stocks angled a bit...kinda like the CTR.

Has anyone here tried removing some material from the rubber butt pad of an LMT Sopmod to give it an angle?

I'm not sure how the rubber is fixed to the stock so I don't want F the whole thing up by removing too much rubber and risk having the butt pad come loose.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Mike

bkb0000
11-16-09, 05:18
i've never modified a SOPMOD pad, but i've removed 'em. all you do is squeeze the two prong things on the inside 'fore the pad and the whole thing pops off. easy to replace if you **** it up.

as far as cutting it, heat might be your best bet. not sure how to impliment that, but i know trying to slice through without totally butchering it would be rough, even with the sharpest of blades. thick rubber is hard to carve.

my recommendation is leave it be- but it's your pad, and i love to see modded gear. post pics if you do it, for better or worse.

Biggy
11-16-09, 10:59
I thought about angling the bottom of the rubber pad on mine similar to the one on the Vltor Emod . If done right it would look close to factory, but if done wrong it could look like ass. You can buy just the rubber buttpads in black or tan from LMT for $6.00 ,( look under view all on their online catalog). It would also be possible to cut the attachment clips off the pad, use an angled spacer and attach with screws and the pad with epoxy.In reality thought they fit and feel good just the way they are.

ra2bach
11-16-09, 12:14
most gunsmiths who install custom or "fitted" buttpads on hunting rifles use a belt sander...

MikeCLeonard
11-16-09, 14:43
Thanks for the responses guys and thanks for the tip on removing the butt-pad bkb...I hadn't even noticed those tabs.

I'm planning on doing this for the stock on my training rifle and I'm not too concerned with how it will look...just how it feels. If it turns out well, I may do the same thing to my nicer looking range AR. It's nice to know that it's cheap to replace if I really goof up.

My goal is to leave a little under 1/4 of an inch of rubber at the bottom of the pad, and gradually slope up towards the top. This may not give me all that much of an angle but I'm going to see what happens and how it feels.

I was thinking of either using a dremel to sand it down, or maybe even an exacto knife...either way it's likely going to look pretty rough but I just want to get the right feel.

I'll post pics when I'm done hacking it up! :D

patriot_man
11-16-09, 20:29
Or you could get a vltor EMOD. ;)

rljatl
11-16-09, 21:30
+1 for belt sander.

Caeser25
11-16-09, 21:47
tag, I had the same idea not too long ago but just picked up an ACS instead...

Caeser25
11-16-09, 21:52
maybe one these and some elbow grease

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-Enhanced-Rubber-Buttpad-Milspec-p/mag317.htm

or somebody close to crane can suggest an update.

the_fallguy
11-17-09, 01:21
Another +1 for using a belt sander. It is easier to be consistent and to get the desired results. Just remember to wear a mask (little rubber bits and dust get EVERYWHERE when you sand rubber).

frbowers
11-17-09, 02:22
FYI...the angle of the buttstock you are referring to is called pitch.

threebanger
11-17-09, 17:00
I'd sell the SOPMOD & just buy the VLTOR w/the $$$ (seeing as how a SOPMOD is twice as much as the EMOD). I'm sure there would be plenty of people willing to take it off your hands.

CAR
11-19-09, 14:55
I'd sell the SOPMOD & just buy the VLTOR w/the $$$ (seeing as how a SOPMOD is twice as much as the EMOD). I'm sure there would be plenty of people willing to take it off your hands.

+1, I would do this.

MikeCLeonard
11-19-09, 22:09

Yeah I've used an Emod before and its nice...but too big for my liking...especially on the rifle in question which will be an 11.5". The SOPMOD is as big as I want to go...also thought about the ACS...but I just hate the look of it.

patriot_man
11-20-09, 01:02
Yeah I've used an Emod before and its nice...but too big for my liking...especially on the rifle in question which will be an 11.5". The SOPMOD is as big as I want to go...also thought about the ACS...but I just hate the look of it.

the ACS is pretty ugly...

Savior 6
11-20-09, 02:27
MikeCLeonard, when you start cutting/sanding into this, try to take some pics of your progression. Intriguing minds want to know. Thanks.

nickdrak
11-20-09, 02:31
The MagPul ACS is everything the SOPMOD is and more. Better storage, & it locks up tighter on the tube than either the SOPMOD or the Emod (by far). It is also much less cash than the SOPMOD.

I think the ACS is MagPul's top stock in-terms of: cheek-weld, storage, weight, and price.

Biggy
11-20-09, 12:27
I tried the ACS and the EMOD and they were okay but i sent them both back , i still like like the SOPMOD best . On both of mine the lock-up is bank vault tight and even though they are close i like the cheekweld better than the ACS or the EMOD. I also prefer the lighter weight and smaller overall size and look of the Sopmod . The ACS and the EMOD just seemed to clunky and bulky to me and i don't care for the robot boot look of them. The Sopmod has plenty of storage for me and i don't need or want anymore. When it comes to my guns price is pretty much not a factor and i get what i like and what works best for me.