PDA

View Full Version : I'm Considering One of the CZ Compacts (pics included)

rob_s
11-16-09, 08:13
I can't offer any help, but I'd like to piggyback on your thread and ask you a question since you know more about this than me.

Is there not a compact DA/SA model that's capable of being cocked & locked with an alloy frame and high tang?

Due to injuries (and bad shooting skills that really can't hide with the Glock) I've been intrigued by the CZs for a couple of years now.

blackscot
11-16-09, 08:15
My G19 has served well as everyday carry for the past 3 years. The complete lack of palm support resulting from the brick-like grip, however, continues to generate discomfort for the hands that have been shooting for longer now than I care to admit. I tried one of the slip-on Hogue Handalls, which fattened the grip overall but didn't really fill the palm where needed. Thus, the search for something that fits and feels “juuuust right”, but that will also perform reliably as a self-defense tool.

In the latter regard, I have always felt the concept of a compact 9 mm to be near-ideal. Addressing the shooting-comfort factor has been more difficult for me though. Nothing really fits my hand as well as a full-sized 1911, or a K-frame Smith with the right set of Hogues or Pachmayrs. With my stature though, I can’t really consider either of those for everyday carry. I've also tried an S&W M&P, and a H&K P30, but both their arched backstraps just threw me off despite the interchangeable panels.

On two prior occasions I owned the CZ 75B, their original full-sized model. Although big and heavy, I bought them entirely for matches and without consideration for hauling around all of every day. With just the right amount of palm support, the grip felt real good overall, but with the notable exception of the slightly down-turned tang that dug into the web of my strong hand when using an IPSC-style thumbs-up hold. This was unfortunate because this hold otherwise well suits the design, especially its 1991-ish thumb safety that allows the option for cocked-n-locked carry. I would have had to work to adopt the needed thumbs-down hold, and at the time chose not to.

The other day I store-fondled some of CZ’s compact models, and with interesting results. They all possess the same near-perfect palm support, but have some other differences. One of them could potentially serve as a replacement for the G19, but I remain uncertain which looks most promising. They are:

The original 75 Compact. This most closely resembles the full-sized 75B -- all-steel frame, and thumb safety allowing the option for either traditional DA/SA or SA cocked-n-locked carry. It also has the same slightly down-turned grip tang though, which would preclude a comfortable thumbs-up hold.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/cz/old_75-compact.png

The P01. This features an alloy frame, and operates only in traditional DA/SA using a decocker. An extended dust cover has a light rail, but which as a carry gun I would almost certainly never use. The grip tang is slightly more upturned, but still digs considerably into the web of the strong hand with a thumbs-up hold, and which is less compelling to me anyway without having the cocked-n-locked capability. I would probably need to adopt a thumbs-down hold for this pistol.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/cz/P01.png

And lastly, the D PCR. Alloy frame same as the P01, although somewhere I read it is cast, versus the P01’s being forged. Also traditional DA/SA with a decocker, so again probably requiring a thumbs-down hold. It also has a shorter and slimmer dust cover with no rail, which for me is better suited for carry.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/cz/D_PCR.png

I’m just looking here for anyone having prior experience with any of these models, and/or pointing out any considerations that would pertain to making a buy on one of them as an everyday carry.

Thanks for any help.

blackscot
11-16-09, 08:17
.....Is there not a compact DA/SA model that's capable of being cocked & locked with an alloy frame and high tang?......

Not that I've found, but please anyone correct me if I'm wrong. That sounds like it would be ideal.

TOrrock
11-16-09, 08:27
I've owned CZ's since before you could legally bring them into the country easily, and I do like them.

However, be aware that they are not going to be nearly as "bomb proof" as a Glock 9mm.

Keep on top of recoil spring replacement, an definitely use a good snap cap like A-Zoom if you're going to be doing a lot of dry firing.

Personally, of the choices you're looking at, I'd go with either the steel CZ-75 Compact, carry it Condition 1, and get used to the grip, or use the P-01 and lay my shooting thumb along the top of the grip, with support thumb on top of that.

Since the P-01 uses a decocker, you can't really use the high thumb 1911 style grip on it anyway.

Hope that helps. The only CZ I still own is a pre-B old school CZ-75 that was imported by Bauska Arms back around 1986.

blackscot
11-16-09, 08:34
Thanks for the advice Tim. :)

.....The only CZ I still own is a pre-B old school CZ-75 that was imported by Bauska Arms back around 1986.

A la Rally Vincent :cool: (I can't see much additional likeness to you though :rolleyes: ).

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/cz/rally_vincent.jpg

blackscot
11-18-09, 06:47
Well there doesn't seem to be any overwhelming tide of opinion on this, so maybe I'll just continue to put up wit the G19's brick-like grip in favor of its "bullet-proof"ness.

rob_s
11-18-09, 07:14
scot, there are other options re: the grip on the G19.

Do a search here for Boresight Solutions (http://www.boresightsolutions.com/). The owner posts here as 'gentle ben" and does some great grip reduction work. There have been several posts by various members here that have gotten his reductions. I have one of his full-house grip reductions and it's phenomenal.

blackscot
11-18-09, 10:37
scot, there are other options re: the grip on the G19....

Thanks Rob -- I'll check it out.

Pappabear
11-18-09, 13:28
I have to concur on the brick like grip causing issues. My FNP45 comes with two back straps, one with and one without the palm swell. I thought I wanted the smaller one, but my hand would feel slightly sore after shooting it. I changed to the larger with a swell, and its perfect.

Your Glock might be perfect if you can get some palm support. Good luck.