PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Cutting & Threading...

gunsNroses
11-16-09, 15:20
Ok, so I sent out my forms to the ATF today for my two SBR builds and so the long wait begins, sigh...

Anyhow, what's the pros/cons of cutting and re-threading my 16" barrel? Obviously I'm going to have to get it done by someone who is highly recommended, but I wanted to see what the general consensus is on this?

beavo451
11-16-09, 18:54
Aside from cost, I can't think of any cons to cutting a barrel.

Inkslinger
03-18-11, 21:26
For my first post I would like to add to this question. I'm considering doing this to my "lame" Stag to get my feet wet in the NFA world, and my question is. If I have it cut to 11.5 would the gas ports need to be made larger? I used to be a cnc machinist...sometimes I wish I still was.

usmcvet
03-19-11, 07:09
Some one like ADCO or AR15barrels.com would be who I would suggest you contact for the work. They will know what size to open the gas port up to.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/

http://www.ar15barrels.com/

Dr Dues
03-19-11, 08:56
Some one like ADCO or AR15barrels.com would be who I would suggest you contact for the work. They will know what size to open the gas port up to.

Some, myself included, have had less than stellar performance from ADCO wrt their shop services.
I would suggest perusing some threads on Lightfighter.net for more info.
Type in "ADCO" in the search function.

Hmac
03-19-11, 09:22
For my first post I would like to add to this question. I'm considering doing this to my "lame" Stag to get my feet wet in the NFA world, and my question is. If I have it cut to 11.5 would the gas ports need to be made larger? I used to be a cnc machinist...sometimes I wish I still was.

What would be the consequence of an 11.5 inch barrel of 4140 steel and a 1:9 twist rate? How would it stand up? Will the shorter barrel with a longer twist rate affect accuracy, and if so, with what bullet weights?

Inkslinger
03-19-11, 09:48
What would be the consequence of an 11.5 inch barrel of 4140 steel and a 1:9 twist rate? How would it stand up? Will the shorter barrel with a longer twist rate affect accuracy, and if so, with what bullet weights?

I take it you know the answers...please enlighten. As far barrel quality I know it's not top tier but until I get my m4c aproved build started and finished I'm working with what I have on hand. Would a 1/9 in 11.5 not be adequate to stabilize a 55-62gr? It would mostly be used within 100yards.

Hmac
03-19-11, 10:05
I take it you know the answers...please enlighten. As far barrel quality I know it's not top tier but until I get my m4c aproved build started and finished I'm working with what I have on hand. Would a 1/9 in 11.5 not be adequate to stabilize a 55-62gr? It would mostly be used within 100yards.

No...I don't know the answers. But those are the questions I would be asking if I were going to try to cut my Stag barrel down instead of buying a new BCM or DD barrel.

Inkslinger
03-19-11, 16:00
Not trying to sound like a smartass but, I could afford the tax stamp and machining of a barrel I own compared to the price of a back ordered DD. I will definetly be going with a DD for my well educated and informed build. My intentions were to get a low cost feel for the NFA process while maintaing function of the rifle.

Hmac
03-19-11, 16:04
Not trying to sound like a smartass but, I could afford the tax stamp and machining of a barrel I own compared to the price of a back ordered DD. I will definetly be going with a DD for my well educated and informed build. My intentions were to get a low cost feel for the NFA process while maintaing function of the rifle.

I hope it meets your needs.