PDA

View Full Version : what is your opinion of/experience with CAV-15 lowers by CavArms?

Chris17404
11-17-09, 09:53
Hi all,

I was wondering what your opinions were of the CAV-15 lowers that Cavalry Arms makes. They seem like a solid company and solid products. They use their lowers for 3gun competitions and they seem very reliable with high round counts. What has your experience been with CAV-15 lowers? What do you use them for, and would you depend on one for a fighting rifle? Thanks.

Chris

Alaskapopo
11-17-09, 13:13
I used one for a 22 lr build once. Very cheap feeling and looking. Worked ok. Just aesthetically not very pleasing.
Pat

Chris17404
11-17-09, 13:55
Thanks for the reply, Alaskpopo. But I'm not really interested in esthetics or how they make me feel. Are they solid, reliable lowers that perform their intended purpose very well?

Chris

TOrrock
11-17-09, 14:14
They take away the ability to adjust your length of pull and overall length of the carbine.

I've not heard of any catastrophic failures with them.

the_fallguy
11-17-09, 16:02
Tactical Response uses them as rentals (or at least they did when they released "Fighting Rifle"), and they shoot a pretty high round count. I don't have any personal experience with them, but I thought that was a decent indicator.

Byron
11-17-09, 16:46
They take away the ability to adjust your length of pull and overall length of the carbine.
That's what's always kept me away from them. I have absolutely no problem with polymer all over my guns, but I hate that the CAV-15 lowers take away a significant amount of modularity from the AR system. Not only are you giving up the ability to change the stock (and grip), but you are really limiting your sling attachment options as well.

If I was satisfied with the stock/grip/sling attachments that are standard on the CAV-15 lowers I would get one for its weight savings, but unfortunately that's not the case.

11-17-09, 16:55
Chris17404- Popo is knowledgeable and you shouldn't poo poo the popo. Realize the advice you are given by certain individuals may answer your question, you just didn't get it. He answered your question. You asked for people's experience with them and he gave it. When a respected member states something is ok and feels cheap, it means there is a high probability he wouldn't buy one. I guess you were wanting him to say it is a POS(or isn't). I wouldn't buy one because there are many better options and other members probably feel the same.

decodeddiesel
11-17-09, 18:10
2 things they work well for:

Ban state builds where a collapsible stock is verboten.

.45ACP builds (lower has reliefs so it will fit Thompson mags).

Other than that many samples I have seen have BAD casting/flash marks, and are generally hideous.

notorious_ar15
11-17-09, 18:30
I think they're great, but I don't need to adjust the stock length all the time. It has the A1 length stock, so it's 5/8" shorter then an A2, and plenty of room to store your cleaning kit & other stuff. Some of the real tall guys don't like it, but I guess it depends then on how you gear up.

Lower parts are standard, and like pointed out previously, the CAVARMS lowers weigh less than a standard lower. I find they balance nicely with lightweight builds. Also comes in lots of different colors

My uncle had bought one used; I bought the one I had used, and a friend of mine bought his used awhile back - no problems with any of them.

I would recommend buying an extra set of speed pins just to be safe, although nobody I know has lost theirs yet.

Keesh
11-17-09, 18:34
They are well built, plus if you ever break one (I've never seen a broken one) they will send you a brand new one for $30 I think that people feel that they are 'cheap' is because they are so light. As stated previously, they balance very well with pencil barrels.

decodeddiesel
11-17-09, 18:50
I think they're great, but I don't need to adjust the stock length all the time. It has the A1 length stock, so it's 5/8" shorter then an A2, and plenty of room to store your cleaning kit & other stuff. Some of the real tall guys don't like it, but I guess it depends then on how you gear up.

I'm a "tall guy" and the length of the stock was WAY too long for the style of shooting I do. I shoot with my stock pushed all the way in or one click out, squared up, with the stock in my inned shoulder.

In an SPR/DMR role the length of pull would work, or if you tend to shoot really bladed up, but for more modern "squared up" it is pretty long.

I would recommend buying an extra set of speed pins just to be safe, although nobody I know has lost theirs yet.

What are "speed pins"?

notorious_ar15
11-17-09, 19:00
What are "speed pins"?

The pins are not retained in a CAVARMS lower when you take them out like in a standard lower.

http://www.cavalryarms.com/MKII.html

<edit:> You can also find a great deal running right now for a new MKII lower with a LPK on TOS

11-17-09, 20:33
Why buy Cav when there are good deals on some Tier One Lowers? Cav is for those that don't need a true fighting carbine. They are nowhere near Tier 1 gun. Of course they would be pimped on TOS. Not here.:)