PDA

View Full Version : HK P30 for CCW- really that uncomfortable?

OvenMitts
11-17-09, 12:42
Gents,

I am looking to buy my handgun (9mm, primarily for CCW) this weekend at the gunshow, and have narrowed my choices down to:

HK P30
Glock 19
S&W M&P9c

Having shot those in the list, the HK P30 was remarkable. The grip was perfect for me, the slide release was the easiest for me to operate, and it was the most stable while shooting. The others were nice, don't get me wrong, and I would be happy with any of them, but the HK so far has my vote.

I keep hearing that the grips on the P30 would be hellacious to CCW due to it chewing up the skin on your side. Is this really an issue? Are there any holsters out there (Crossbreed Supertuck is one I am considering) that mitigate this? I'd hate to pass up this handgun just because of this :(

Any words of advice or personal experiences to share which could help me make the call? It'd be nice if I could walk around for a bit wearing each to see what's what.

rborst
11-17-09, 13:50
Wear an undershirt. Problem solved.

Business_Casual
11-17-09, 15:14
You've shot one; did your hands survive?

:rolleyes:

M_P

d90king
11-17-09, 15:30

M_P

Love the new sig M_P happened to me a few times and I had the same WTF moment... Its happened a few times when hitting new posts instead of the back arrow also...

To the OP I wear a tshirt and have never had an issue even with my 10-8 G10's that are much more aggressive than my P30...

John_Wayne777
11-17-09, 15:34
I keep hearing that the grips on the P30 would be hellacious to CCW due to it chewing up the skin on your side.

Whom, exactly, are you hearing this from? Further, how much time have they spent carrying a P30?

Is this really an issue?

Given that I have met a few individuals who regularly carry a P30 concealed, and that I know of at least one dude that has spent the past x months with one crammed down the front of his pants without being reduced to tears from the pain of it or without having the weapon grind his gut into hamburger, I'm going to go out on a limb and say "No."

Now I have no personal experience carrying the P30 concealed, but my observations are based on watching those who have done so pretty extensively.

I'm willing to bet that the people you heard the "OMG it will kill you!" stuff from did not qualify their opinion...which should let you know just how much stock you should place in their opinion.

Any words of advice or personal experiences to share which could help me make the call?

You've asked for an opinion on a forum where people actually know stuff and where we ban morons who bloviate on subjects where their cranium is clearly inserted up their rectum.

...so you've made a good first step. :D

My advice would be this:

The people who told you that are idiots and you should not listen to them. The P30 works perfectly well for concealed carry from what I've seen and when used with a good holster should more than meet whatever demands you are likely to put on it.

dojpros
11-17-09, 15:42
To expound on what was posted above I wear a:

Cotton wife beater from Target when it is 70ish or less

Wicking synthetic wife beater from Target when in is any warmer

Quality IWB

Cover garment i.e. another shirt

I have stippled my glock such that I strongly suspect they are no less abrasive than a P30. My set up has worked great to date both AIWB and traditional IWB

Anjin-san
11-17-09, 18:05
I'm down in Orlando Florida and I have no problem wearing a cotton undershirt all year round.

sandman99and9
11-17-09, 18:14
I'm down in Orlando Florida and I have no problem wearing a cotton undershirt all year round.

Outstanding !! another orlando member. :D

S.M.

ToddG
11-17-09, 18:34
I always wear a t-shirt or undershirt between the gun and my body, so I cannot speak from experience as to whether the grips would be uncomfortably abrasive if you wore it against your bare skin day in and day out.

Since the alternative is having a gun that is slippery and harder to control especially if my hands are wet (rain, blood, etc.) I think wearing the t-shirt is a minor sacrifice.

mourneblade
11-17-09, 18:41
Mine really rubs my bare skin raw. I took a bicycle inner tube and cut rings and slid them around the grip. Now it's very comfortable and I don't notice losing much gripwise with this setup. Cost about $7.

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp63/twocatsmatt/0072e368.jpg

RogerinTPA
11-17-09, 20:27
Try an M&P9c with CT laser grips and call it a day.:cool: You are far better off going to buds gunshop online and getting what you need than a gunshow. They even sell them with the CT grips. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_39_71/products_id/57864

awm14hp
11-17-09, 20:39
I dont know I shoot and carry two FS glocks with no issue
G17 and 22 or G19 or 23 so I have no issues with right belt and holster

Palmguy
11-17-09, 22:44
I've found the P30 uncomfortable enough that I'd sooner use a P2000 for carry if I wanted that type of gun. More than comfort; it would also get caught up on the type of golf polos that I wear on a fairly regular basis.

I still really like the gun, it just personally isn't the best choice for me.

I do find your choices interesting; as there is a pretty significant size difference between the biggest (P30) and smallest (M&P9c) guns on your list. Any reason you are not considering the full size M&P assuming you are comfortable with the similarly sized P30?

Pappabear
11-18-09, 01:04
I have an excellent holster for my P30L and HK45, works for both. I still prfer to wear an undershirt. This "Black Ops Pro" holster can be worn IWB or OWB, and is very good as times you may want to wear outside.

http://www.purekustomholsters.com/

maximus83
11-18-09, 02:34
I do find your choices interesting; as there is a pretty significant size difference between the biggest (P30) and smallest (M&P9c) guns on your list. Any reason you are not considering the full size M&P assuming you are comfortable with the similarly sized P30?

I wondered about that too: comparing a P30 with M&P9c. At over in an inch shorter in overall height, and slimmer profile, the 9c would be an easier CCW, but of course the standard-sized P30 is going to handle and shoot better, and carries 3 more rounds. I'd think you'd want to compare the P30 and the M&P9 FS.

OvenMitts
11-18-09, 09:35
I've found the P30 uncomfortable enough that I'd sooner use a P2000 for carry if I wanted that type of gun. More than comfort; it would also get caught up on the type of golf polos that I wear on a fairly regular basis.

I still really like the gun, it just personally isn't the best choice for me.

Absolutely right, the full size M&P is what I am looking at, not the compact. Compact is too small for my hands.

The P2000 would be the alternative/substitute for the P30 if I find it to be abrasive.

M_P

:confused: How does the way the gun feels in my hands in any way relate to the level of comfort when carrying IWB?

blackscot
11-18-09, 09:47
They are all three very fine guns. Coincidentally, I was experimenting among these very same models a year or two ago, but in my case the G19 won out as the best for CCW. Not to do with carry aspects, but just that I could shoot it better.

If in your case the P30 shoots best, I'd advise to go with that and work out whatever carry aspects there are. The right clothes combined with one of the myriad holster options should eventually provide something workable.

RogerinTPA
11-18-09, 10:07
I wondered about that too: comparing a P30 with M&P9c. At over in an inch shorter in overall height, and slimmer profile, the 9c would be an easier CCW, but of course the standard-sized P30 is going to handle and shoot better, and carries 3 more rounds. I'd think you'd want to compare the P30 and the M&P9 FS.

The M&P9c and 40c takes the full sized mags. I practice with, and carry a FS Mag in my M&P9c as the primary mag (17+1), using the shorties for reloads. It gives you more mag options for different occasions.

11-18-09, 10:53
I lived 10 years in FL, I now live in Texas. We had 69 straight days of 100deg+ temps this summer. I always wear a undershirt [wicking or otherwise] when carrying. I spend most of my day outdoors, no A.C. Rust is a problem on the worn spots of my Beretta 92.

gtmtnbiker98
11-18-09, 12:23
I own a couple of P30s and carry one daily, no issue. Believe it or not, what little rub you may encounter, you actually get used to it. I use a MS VMII for my P30 and love the setup. If you are that concerned, just get the P2000 or the P2000SK.

OvenMitts
11-18-09, 15:37
I own a couple of P30s and carry one daily, no issue. Believe it or not, what little rub you may encounter, you actually get used to it. I use a MS VMII for my P30 and love the setup. If you are that concerned, just get the P2000 or the P2000SK.

Thanks for the advice, which makes me happy to hear b/c I really like the P30. A little chaffing doesn't bother me, I just don't want to end up dreading wearing the thing if it turns out it becomes irritating.

I've never CCW before, so want to learn as much as I can before jumping into it. Thanks for all the replies!

blackscot
11-19-09, 06:54
.....I've never CCW before, so want to learn as much as I can before jumping into it.......

There is much to learn, and not just about equipment selection and the other fun parts. Be sure to fully educate yourself on the legal and ethical aspects of the use of deadly force in self defense. And remember, the best fight is the one you avoided.

jdavis6576
11-19-09, 08:34
If the grip is too rough you can always put some A-Grip on it. You'll have to get the square sheet and cut it to fit but it will work.

http://www.brookstactical.com/index-2.html

HK45
11-20-09, 10:39
My opinion is I always want a grip that I can get my full hand around. I think it's more important to have that control than to have a shorter grip solely for CCW. None of the M&P's work for me for that reason. The Glock 19 barely does. The P30 does. The full size M&P are just about perfect. Especially with a Raven Concealment holster. Obviously this varies according to your build. Regarding comfort I have not had any issues with carrying the P30 without an undershirt.

Gents,

I am looking to buy my handgun (9mm, primarily for CCW) this weekend at the gunshow, and have narrowed my choices down to:

HK P30
Glock 19
S&W M&P9c

Having shot those in the list, the HK P30 was remarkable. The grip was perfect for me, the slide release was the easiest for me to operate, and it was the most stable while shooting. The others were nice, don't get me wrong, and I would be happy with any of them, but the HK so far has my vote.

I keep hearing that the grips on the P30 would be hellacious to CCW due to it chewing up the skin on your side. Is this really an issue? Are there any holsters out there (Crossbreed Supertuck is one I am considering) that mitigate this? I'd hate to pass up this handgun just because of this :(

Any words of advice or personal experiences to share which could help me make the call? It'd be nice if I could walk around for a bit wearing each to see what's what.

OvenMitts
11-30-09, 07:57
Almost all of the replies here have been exceptional; thanks to all who contributed their input. At last I located a dealer that had the P30 V2 in stock, and placed the order, finally taking total ownership of it last night (after a 2 day background check wait :mad:). Coming from the world of AR-15s, cleaning and dis-assembly was a learning experience, but figured it out eventually and am ready to take her out for a first range session this week :D

Now the holster hunt intensifies; taking recommendations from the different forums and threads on the subject, so data overload is once again in effect. Checked out a MTAC last night, which was very comfortable and is priced just right; Crossbreed Supertuck is another one I am eying, along with the Milt Sparks VMII. That's where I stand, now just need to find and try on each option.

As for the grip vs. my skin, it's a little harsh from what I felt just holding it in place; more conclusive results to come, but don't believe it will be that huge an issue.

Icculus
11-30-09, 10:26
This thread might help you some.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33123

Lots of good pictures and advice regarding different IWB holster options.

OvenMitts
11-30-09, 11:12
This thread might help you some.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33123

Lots of good pictures and advice regarding different IWB holster options.

Thanks for the link and good info; I am leaning towards the MTAC at this point because of cost, time to receive, good reviews.

btw, I also drive an STi :cool: