PDA

View Full Version : CamelBak Rucksacks?

Winter Tyrant
11-17-09, 16:16
Hey all, I am in the process of searching for a good medium sized bag designed for 24-48 hours out in the wild. Probably A long hike, camp then possibly hike back, Also to serve as a small BOB. I can get Camelbak Packs at wholesale cost -%20 and I really like CamelBak's H.A.W.G. 500 bags complete with MOLLE system and bladder. What do you guys think of their bags. We had a CamelBak rep come into the warehouse today to speak to us about their systems. He said that the Military wanted the bladders in their Military/Gov. packs to be able to survive an impact of a 200lb. man with 60-70 lbs. of gear on from 6ft. high right on the bladder.

So what do you guys think of their packs?

If you do not like them, do you guys have any good recs. as far as small BOB's? I know that many people are looking for 72hr. BOB but this will serve more as a backpacking bag than BOB, but I do want it to be able to serve as a small BOB until I can afford a nice 72hr. system.

Thanks,
Floyd

JBecker 72
11-17-09, 17:03
I could never fit all my stuff in the smaller bags, so Im gonna have to recommend the larger 3 day bags if you dont have anything right now.
If you already have a larger bag, the small Camelback packs are pretty nice, but overpriced IMO.

My pack is the Bug Out 3 day pass, and its been incredibly tough. This is my new one as my last one died in a vehicle fire, but was otherwise in great shape after a lot of abuse from camping and for long motorcycle rides.
I have a Camelback 3 liter liner that I throw in for hikes.
The bag was $60 and I forget how much a liner runs, maybe $25 with the hose and mouthpiece?

Winter Tyrant
11-17-09, 17:19
How big is that bag? Do you have pics with something attached to the MOLLE system for comparison.

Thanks,
Floyd

JBecker 72
11-17-09, 17:40
the bag is 15" x 8" x 20"
The molle section is large enough to fit a pair of Army issued USGI 2 mag pouches nicely, but thats about it.

http://www.uscav.com/milmall/productinfo.aspx?productid=10305&TabID=548

uwe1
11-22-09, 01:34
I have both the HAWG and the Motherlode. I'm 5'7" and 140 lbs. so you might have a different experience with these packs.

The HAWG is a nice small backpack. Overall main compartment is smaller than most school backpacks. It doesn't have a lot of room, so in my opinion it's really just a daypack or a very small BOB. I took it on a scouting trip for my upcoming hunt. It fits a good size FAK (8x4 pouch) in the main compartment along with a large Katadyn filter, and poncho, but that pretty much fills it unless you squeeze in some odds and ends. The other compartment holds small amounts of other things such as comfort items and food bars. I purchased 2 double handgun mag pouches and attached them to the Molle. They held two 19 round Glock mags, a flashlight (Fenix), and a Leatherman Blast Multitool. All in all it was fairly comfortable and not too bad. I will say that if you get too much packed into the bag, it's not very comfortable because the weight cannot be correctly mounted to your waist with thinner straps which aren't that comfortable and eventually your shoulders start to feel it. With the HAWG you have to really decide hard about what you want to bring with you. It would make a good BOB for the car, but not one for you to leave home. You wouldn't even have enough room for extra clothes in there.

The Motherlode is significantly larger, but also much more flexible. With this bag you can bring extra clothes. The pack is more padded and has a better bag to hip interface with wider straps and padding. I have a AR mag pouch that carries 6 pmags, the same dual mag pistol pouches mentioned above, and another 3x5 pouch mounted on the sides. This still leaves the whole back panel to configure the way you want, but it starts looking really big. If you are spending 24-48 hrs out there I would recommend at least the Motherlode or the BFM. The HAWG wouldn't cut it.

msstate56
11-22-09, 07:46
I've been using a Camelbak HAWG as a shift bag on duty for over a year. It is a very well made bag, that has stood up to some very rough treatment. That said, I would purchase the Motherload or BFM instead. I often find that the HAWG is too small for all the gear I need on certain patrols.

ST911
11-22-09, 09:07
I have HAWGs. They make great EDC/E&E bags/patrol bags. One of mine has a lot of miles on it. They're too small for backpacking and other multi-day tasks. For those, get a 3-day or larger of some sort. The PALS on the HAWG is also quirky. Useful with the right pouches, but quirky.

Camelbaks vary a bit in build quality. I have a HAWG that is excellent, and one that is much less so. Same for others models seen over time. I suspect they're from different subs. Check yours over carefully when it arrives.

Winter Tyrant
11-22-09, 10:11
Wow thanks for all the replies guys, I might look into getting something a bit bigger then.

Floyd

JB2000
11-22-09, 22:11
I have an older Camelbak Motherlode which is closer to the Camelbak Motherlode 500 style. Mine doesn't have the PALS webbing on the sides. It is a well-made, well thought out, heavy-duty pack. As a result, I find myself having to make some choices on what I carry. My Motherloade is around 2,500 Cu In. I think around 3,000 would fit my needs better.

If you are concerned about weight, you might consider one of Camelbak's commercial-type bags you would find somewhere like REI.

uwe1
12-06-09, 01:44
After taking the Motherlode out for a hunt in southeastern AZ, I am not really feeling this pack as much as I thought I would. If you are going for a long excursion and need to pack everything in it, I would probably purchase a full-framed hiking pack. The Motherlode's problem is that the weight just keeps riding somewhat low despite my efforts to cinch it up properly and after 10 miles through rocky hillsides, my shoulders were killing me. My friend who is 6'0 and over 200 lbs had similar complaints. I probably had about 35lbs of gear in the bag (large FAK, poncho, large emergency blanket, food, 64 oz of water, Glock 17 with about 37 rounds of ammo, 30 round PMAG w/ 75 gr. TAP, multitool, flashlight, other survival stuff).

I am not an experienced hiker/hunter, but my friend is and he was trying out his Motherlode for the first time and said that he much preferred the full-framed backpack for backpacking/hiking he got at REI.

cspdelta
12-19-09, 12:04
That's generally good advice.

Depending on how much you want to spend you may wish to consider the Camelbak Talon. Notwithstanding Botach's errant customer service I got a smoking deal on the Blackwater edition ones (they're probably sold out now) that works pretty well for the short haul.

If you can afford it go Kifaru. You won't look back (they're discounting their 2008 models too).

GMZ
12-19-09, 12:18
I have a BFM and love it, its ****ing huge. They updated it and increased capacity I think.

kmrtnsn
12-19-09, 13:51
I have a 10 year old green, black, and gray Camelbak Transalp. A great little pack that I used for day long "foot patrols" when I was a Border Patrol Agent, for day hikes in Sedona and in the desert, and snow boarding in Idaho. It is a useful, lightweight, holds all my gear, and I still use it today. It blends in the field on on the street; incredible flexibility. A bit small for over night but they do have similar packs that are a bit larger without sliding into BMF range, that thing is a monster and needs an internal frame. You might look at some of the variations on the Kelty Redwing.