PDA

View Full Version : What to carry / keep in your car(s)?

jgalt
11-17-09, 17:18
I need to build a "box" (could be a box, bag, pile, combination, etc...) of necessary items to be kept in my cars at all times in case of breakdowns &/or emergencies. In light of all the info I've been reading in this sub-forum, I am interested in a "layered" approach to this:

1. What items are in your car(s) at all times, to cover every day occurrences / emergencies? I am fairly mechanically inclined, but have never worked on a car before so don't currently have the knowledge to do a whole lot of fixing / repairing of things that have broken on my own. So long as AAA is available, they will likely be my go-to for when things break. Since I haven't done this before, don't hesitate to list those things most might think of as 'obvious', like jumper cables.

I live in Minnesota (a burb of the Twin Cities), so my main concern actually is keeping warm until help can arrive should something occur I can't handle on my own. The only thing I ask is that you explain the purpose / usefulness of any item you recommend that might not be obvious...

2. Do any of you keep supplies in your car that might allow you to handle something like a breakdown in a rural area - lets assume during a blizzard - where you might be best served by staying in the car for more than a day waiting for help? If yes, what do you recommend for this purpose?

3. I've seen references to bug out bags to be kept in vehicles in case you need to leave the car and hoof it / find alternate transportation home. I'd like to build something for this purpose as well. Assume for the moment this is not a SHTF / societal breakdown situation - just normal, every day life where I need to get home without my car.

4. Assume some type of natural disaster that might occur while I'm away from home - tornado or blizzard / ice storm are the most likely in my area. Would you have a different list of supplies for your bug out bag in this situation, or would it be the same as in #3 above?

5. Any other situations I should be considering - short of some type of societal collapse / zombies in the streets scenario?

Note - Anything that will be kept in the car will be in addition to the handgun, extra mag (or 2), Leatherman, cell phone, flashlight, & Zippo I carry with me on my person every day.

Any and all advice will be helpful and appreciated! Thanks.

PA PATRIOT
11-17-09, 18:48
Number One item no matter what the weather or Emergency.....Your Brain!.......and a little common sense. Since you live in the land of the cold I would work my bag around weather conditions you would face in the winter. Plus I would have to equip for the country you most travel in, is it urban, semi rural or out in the sticks? Urban and semi rural one would most likely be near other people and workable cell phone coverage. Just calling or knocking on a door would bring help in most cases asap.

But the out in the sticks bags I would be a little more extensive most likely being two small bags and one large vehicle storage bag.

The large bag would stay in the vehicle 24/7 and contain some blankets, a few Mylar survival bags, gloves, knit hats and a pair of winter boots and some fire making gear, also some signaling gear like mirrors, flares and markers and a small fold-able snow shovel.

My first small bag would contain a few bottles of water, Hi-Calorie survival food bars and some sealed hand warmers enough for three days for each person expected to ride in the vehicle. Snow can be melted into water so I would go more heavy on the food and have a small metal container for melting snow.

My second small bag would contain a pistol with four to six hi-cap magazines, a GSP, Mylar survival bag, a pre-paid cell phone, a LED flashlight, fire starting gear, sealed hand warmers, extra battery's, signal mirror/whistle and marker and a area map and compass.

I would not leave the car until forced to do so and mark my area around the vehicle the best I could to attract attention, make sure to keep a half tank or better of gas for any trip and clear the exhaust pipe of the vehicle of snow if you become stranded so CO2 does not kill everyone inside if your running the engine for heat. The two small bags are removable and portable if need be and would only be inside the vehicle when I was driving somewhere.

whiterabbit05
11-17-09, 18:56
I keep:

A tool box with the essentials

Cross lug nut wrench, the shorty that comes with the car doesn't give the proper leverage

Factory car jack

Wheel chocks

Jumper Cables

Extra anti-freeze, engine oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid, etc.

Road flares

Reflective hazard triangle

Flashlight

De-icer

Ice scraper

Fix-a-flat for emergencies or when more than one tire is flat

First aid kit

jgalt
11-17-09, 19:29
Number One item no matter what the weather or Emergency.....Your Brain!.......and a little common sense. Since you live in the land of the cold I would work my bag around weather conditions you would face in the winter. Plus I would have to equip for the country you most travel in, is it urban, semi rural or out in the sticks? Urban and semi rural one would most likely be near other people and workable cell phone coverage. Just calling or knocking on a door would bring help in most cases asap.

But the out in the sticks bags I would be a little more extensive most likely being two small bags and one large vehicle storage bag.

The large bag would stay in the vehicle 24/7 and contain some blankets, a few Mylar survival bags, gloves, knit hats and a pair of winter boots and some fire making gear, also some signaling gear like mirrors, flares and markers and a small fold-able snow shovel.

My first small bag would contain a few bottles of water, Hi-Calorie survival food bars and some sealed hand warmers enough for three days for each person expected to ride in the vehicle. Snow can be melted into water so I would go more heavy on the food and have a small metal container for melting snow.

My second small bag would contain a pistol with four to six hi-cap magazines, a GSP, Mylar survival bag, a pre-paid cell phone, a LED flashlight, fire starting gear, sealed hand warmers, extra battery's, signal mirror/whistle and marker and a area map and compass.

I would not leave the car until forced to do so and mark my area around the vehicle the best I could to attract attention, make sure to keep a half tank or better of gas for any trip and clear the exhaust pipe of the vehicle of snow if you become stranded so CO2 does not kill everyone inside if your running the engine for heat. The two small bags are removable and portable if need be and would only be inside the vehicle when I was driving somewhere.

My typical trips are into one or the other of the Twin Cities &/or their suburbs, so mostly urban. Once or twice a week I head out to the gun club and the route is part interstate, part rural highway (a few miles of each...). The only semi-problematic trips will be those into WI to visit family & friends - a lot of rural interstate, a little urban, and a lot of rural state highways, depending on the people we're going to see. These are actually the trips I'm most "worried" about simply due to the large distances between populated areas. Also, no loaded weapons or magazines in the vehicle. I can always transport my Glock in its case & keep enough ammo to fill a few mags though, so I'm not stuck being completely unarmed, though I might need to buy some type of drop-leg holster to allow me to open carry with a winter jacket on. And of course, I'll always have my brain & the little common sense I carry with me... :D

I like the idea of multiple bags, as well as the suggestions regarding what to keep in them. I would not have come up with some of those items on my own any time soon, so thanks! Any suggestions on specific "high calorie survival bars"? Something edible when it is 20 below... :cool:

Question - what is "GSP"? I typed it into Google and didn't get anything that made sense in the context of your post...

jgalt
11-17-09, 19:42
I keep:

A tool box with the essentials... <snip>

...Extra anti-freeze, engine oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid, etc.

Do you keep these in small bottles so as to have just enough to get by in an emergency? I'd assume regular sized bottles of all those items would take up more space than is practical in a typical sedan trunk...

<snip>

...Fix-a-flat for emergencies or when more than one tire is flat...

Ooooo, fix-a-flat! Excellent idea - don't know why I didn't think of that myself!

Thank you very much!

PA PATRIOT
11-17-09, 19:46
My typical trips are into one or the other of the Twin Cities &/or their suburbs, so mostly urban. Once or twice a week I head out to the gun club and the route is part interstate, part rural highway (a few miles of each...). The only semi-problematic trips will be those into WI to visit family & friends - a lot of rural interstate, a little urban, and a lot of rural state highways, depending on the people we're going to see. These are actually the trips I'm most "worried" about simply due to the large distances between populated areas. Also, no loaded weapons or magazines in the vehicle. I can always transport my Glock in its case & keep enough ammo to fill a few mags though, so I'm not stuck being completely unarmed, though I might need to buy some type of drop-leg holster to allow me to open carry with a winter jacket on. And of course, I'll always have my brain & the little common sense I carry with me... :D

I like the idea of multiple bags, as well as the suggestions regarding what to keep in them. I would not have come up with some of those items on my own any time soon, so thanks! Any suggestions on specific "high calorie survival bars"? Something edible when it is 20 below... :cool:

Question - what is "GSP"? I typed it into Google and didn't get anything that made sense in the context of your post...

Sorry thats GPS, typing faster than my brain is spelling. Are you able to apply for a permit to carry concealed? Some states recognize each others concealed permits so that would work out for you if your travel states do so.

jgalt
11-17-09, 20:03
Sorry thats GPS, typing faster than my brain is spelling. Are you able to apply for a permit to carry concealed? Some states recognize each others concealed permits so that would work out for you if your travel states do so.

I figured you meant GPS, but thought it best to ask... :cool:

No concealed carry in WI, period. I've got both MN & UT permits though, so most other trips I'd take would be fine.

Interesting side bar - the attorney general of WI put out a letter early this year that made it clear that open carry is allowed under the state Constitution (there is no law recognizing it, but as it isn't specifically forbidden, it is OK), hence the idea of a drop-leg holster should I need to carry during the winter. An OWB holster under a winter jacket would definitely be concealed and a very big no-no in WI. And, since there is no mention in WI law regarding the carrying of a handgun, other than the law specifically forbidding concealed carry, any gun in any vehicle is covered under the transport laws designed for hunting or going to a range, i.e. gun fully encased & outside the passenger compartment or behind the seat in a pickup, with no ammo in mags. There have actually been a number of "open carry picnics" in various parts of WI recently, hoping to bring attention to the fact that it is one of two states (w/Illinois) that doesn't allow anyone who is not law enforcement to carry concealed, and with the current Governor not running in 2010, there is a decent chance some type of concealed carry law will pass in 2011, as the legislature has voted twice for it, being only one vote short of a veto-override last time...

00leland00
11-17-09, 23:44
Along with everything mentioned,

tire plugs

car charger/ hand crank charger for cell phone.

FIRE

extra blankets, socks, gloves

puzzle book/ something to keep your mind occupied

PA PATRIOT
11-18-09, 00:49
Along with everything mentioned,

tire plugs

FIRE

extra blankets, socks, gloves

puzzle book/ something to keep your mind occupied

Would you have a link for that hand crank charger?

CDDM416
11-18-09, 08:50

go to redcrossstore.org they have them.

sgtmike
11-18-09, 09:32
I also plan for around the weather in my location. But especially when going on long trips, I like to keep a .22 rifle in my trunk. Sounds stupid, but when you think about it, what better survival weapon if worst came to worst! You could easily eat gather enough small game to eat to survive for a good while with a box of 500 .22 shells!

Light ammo, highly accurate, and could be used for defense if need be.

PA PATRIOT
11-18-09, 11:18
I also plan for around the weather in my location. But especially when going on long trips, I like to keep a .22 rifle in my trunk. Sounds stupid, but when you think about it, what better survival weapon if worst came to worst! You could easily eat gather enough small game to eat to survive for a good while with a box of 500 .22 shells!

Light ammo, highly accurate, and could be used for defense if need be.

As long as your not trucking Thur Bear, Large Cat or Feral Dog country then I 2nd that .22LR. A little incident I had once while Deer hunting in Maine were one of my tree stands is deep in the woods roughly four miles from the nearest dirt road. Its walking all the way since ATVs could not make some of the inclines a long the route. I actually leave my pack and rifle in the stand over night protected by a water proof nylon bag just carrying a small first aid kit and a Ruger 10/22 in and out. Since I'm moving mostly in the dark using minimum green light entering or exiting the stand I just wanted a little something to carry along and the 10/22 with a 50rd magazine of Aguila Super Max 30gr solids kicking out at 1700fps seem to fit the bill. Any how one evening I left the stand a little early were it was dusk still able to see short range but not clearly when several (What I think were) feral dogs circled me and started to move in. I shot at every sight of movement as I spun in a 360 until what I though was the dogs leaving the area. As I moved out I once again had the dogs all around me about 200yds further down the trail with almost no light left. I fired some more rounds in a 360 and continued on until I made the road and my ATV. The next day I went back in during day light with a AR-15 and surveyed the area of the two encounters finding blood and fur but no dogs. I never had a incident like this before with pack feral dogs while being in a very remote area of the woods. The strange thing is they came back a second time after the first dose of fire. I had three rounds left in my 10/22 that day and now I never travel in the woods with less then a Glock 9mm with three magazines. If your content with a .22LR I would suggest a semi-auto any day over a bolt gun just to have the sheer ability to lay down a lot of lead quickly and don't forget some spare hi-cap magazines.

ST911
11-18-09, 12:38
I live in Minnesota (a burb of the Twin Cities), so my main concern actually is keeping warm until help can arrive should something occur I can't handle on my own. The only thing I ask is that you explain the purpose / usefulness of any item you recommend that might not be obvious...

I know a fellow that was stranded in his vehicle for more than a day on 494, 2-3 years ago. He was well prepped and GTG, just bored and inconvenienced. In the right circumstances, being stuck in a metro area is just like being stuck in eastern Wyoming.

Good recommendations in this thread.

Give thought to a signalling group of some sort. Chem lights, flares, strobes.

Cell phone charger or spare battery.

jgalt
11-18-09, 13:00
I know a fellow that was stranded in his vehicle for more than a day on 494, 2-3 years ago. He was well prepped and GTG, just bored and inconvenienced. In the right circumstances, being stuck in a metro area is just like being stuck in eastern Wyoming. <snip>

I'm not at all surprised. I've been doing some more reading and it looks like it really shouldn't be too much problem to store at least one, preferably 3 days worth of food (the high calorie kind mentioned by Phila PD) along with other things you mentioned, so that is the route I'm going to take.

I think I'm pretty well set as far as advice goes, but don't let that stop anyone from posting more suggestions or what you actually keep / carry in your car. I'm of the mindset of "give me all the information you've got and let me determine what will be useful for me," so keep it coming. :cool:

whiterabbit05
11-18-09, 15:45
Remember to use the fix-a-flat only when your really have to cause it leaves gunk all over the inside of the tire and is a PITA to clean.

Tire shops hate dealing with it also.

I have a pretty massive trunk and I keep the extra anti-freeze, engine oil, etc. in their regular bottles all in a plastic bin in case they leak. If your car is new, I wouldn't really worry about it. My car is is a 1995 and has a small oil leak so it makes more sense for me to carry extra fluids.

00leland00
11-18-09, 18:50

http://www.soscharger.com/

http://thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorcontent/sidewinder.htm

http://www.thingfling.com/?utm_source=DOD&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=Link

http://www.survivaloutpost.com/servlet/Detail?no=144&category=Protection+%26+Survival%3AMobile

JB2000
12-06-09, 00:12
One thing I haven't seen mentioned that I keep in my car pack is a candle lantern. In addition to light, they can provide enough heat to warm a small space and last about 8 hours. There are also the types with multiple wicks can be used to heat food.

In relation to being stuck in bad weather, here's a story from a guy that got stuck.

http://www.buycontacthasbegun.com/emergency.html

threeheadeddog
12-06-09, 11:13
One thing that was constantly drilled into me growing up in Montana by my dad was to always no matter what bring lots of TP(toilet paper) and wipes. There is nothing worse than being an hour away from civilization(or more) and not have the essentials. We always laughed when we cleaned out his truck because you would find rolls everywhere from where he would just grab a roll "just in case". Rolls under the seats in the glove box in the "emergency box" in the consol in the tool box ect lol, we gave him alot of grief about it but when you needed it you were quite grateful.

ZDL
12-21-09, 05:05

Naxet1959
12-21-09, 07:46
For the bottles water that I carry in my car, its inside of a Coleman water jug. That's should it burst from being in the car during hard, long freezes, when it thaws its inside the Coleman limiting the damage.

I also have made a small Diet Coke can alcohol stove for cooking and melting snow. They're very easy to make ( zenstoves.net/ ) and with a small 8 oz. bottle of denatured alcohol, you can make 12 meals. I have Raman soup and instant oatmeal in packets for this along with a can of soup, cans of pineapple chunks, coffee and tea. You would also need a canteen cup, $5.00 at an army surplus store and a stand for it, also $5.00 at the surplus store.

I have matches too as well as steel wool and a 9 volt battery... and a 50 hour candle for light for reading. My flashlight is one of those that you shake up to energize so need for batteries but they're hard to read by.

Stan_TheGunNut
12-24-09, 19:41
Some of the obvious:
-Jumper Cables, and a quart or so of other automotive fluids to top things off. Perhaps some tire chains too?
-Blankets or a sleeping bag for warmth. Along with this I'd say a coat, gloves, toboggan (not the sled but the stocking cap), and maybe some type of chemical heat. Blankets might be better if you're not by yourself.
-Chem-lights. A flashlight would be good too, but chemlights don't rely on batteries and last 8-12 hours. They're also relatively inexpensive. I'm not sure if they would freeze if left in the trunk of a car in Minnesota during the winter though. Something to think about or experiment with maybe.
-Water and snacks...and something to heat it with such as a small camp stove and some fuel. I'm certain if you left water bottles in your car in Minn in the winter, they would eventually freeze. I have heard, but never tried it, that for a given volume, snow doesn't make much water. A couple of cans of chili could be heated and would probably be appreciated should you get stuck in the middle of nowhere.
-Small shovel....to dig your way out.
-car phone charger, so you can call AAA.

This and everything else that others have said is a good start I think.

Edit: I'd add a toothbrush and mouthwash, and other personal hygene stuff. This would include feminine hygene stuff the ladies in your family.

cmiller683
02-23-10, 13:55
Ok, so here is my thought process. We've got all these different kit bags. Med kit. BOB. Clothes Kit. Food Kit. So those don't need to be replicated. There are several items in each kit that are useful for your vehicle kit. Superglue, tape, scalpel, tweezers, etc.

My vehicle kit focuses primarily on repair, so I can fix it and get out.

Fluids
Water (Drinkable and for antifreeze) - 1/2 gallon
Antifreeze if your weather conditions demand it. - 1/2 gallon
A sealed can of gasoline. Something that won't leak or spread fumes. Maybe 1gal at most.
Gear Oil - 1 Quart
Motor Oil - 2 Quarts
Transmission Fluid - 1 Quart
Radiator Sealer
Transmission Sealer
Gasket Sealer
Fix-a-Flat
Carb Cleaner

Tools
Working hydraulic jack with proper socket/wrench for lugs
Pry bar
Oil Filter Wrench
Spark Plug Socket with Wrench
Utility Knife
Small butane torch
Socket, Wrench, Screw-driver, Pliers kit. Just the common sizes you would need.

Spare Parts
Oil Filter
Air Filter
Spark Plugs
Belt
Headlight Bulbs
Blinker/Taillight/Interior Bulbs
Zip Ties
Fuses
JB Weld/Magnum Steel

Most of this is relatively small and cheap, so it won't take up a lot of space or money. With this "Fix-it Kit" you should of course plan on bringing kits for food and water, weather, defense, medical, etc.

These are just things I've been putting together lately. The list constantly expands and evolves.

rob_s
02-23-10, 14:01
Threads like this are interesting as environment has a lot to do with things.

I'm in an urban area, and would have to drive minimum of an hour or more to get to anywhere that wouldn't have "help" within a ten minute walk.

I do have a bag of items that stays in the car, some of them leftover from the days my wanderings took me more rural. I also beef that up with more supplies when going on a road trip.

I don't think I tote anything that anyone else hasn't already mentioned, but it's interesting to me to read about people being trapped in their car for days on end! :eek:

cmiller683
02-23-10, 19:51
Rob, I know what you're saying. However, for me, it could happen. I am an avid, albeit far from expert, backpacker. I sometimes park my truck at a trailhead a good two miles from any real road, and a good 10 miles from any real city.

What if I get back from my hike and I discover a flat tire? Dead battery? And what if I was injured on my way out of the bush? My girlfriend was injured? My dog? Snakebites, spider bites, poisoning. Some things can preclude you from hoofing it out that 10 miles to civilization.

While uncommon and unlikely, it is more possible than during your average Joe running to Wal-Mart for fritos. And more often than not, I am parked somewhere that someone will stumble upon within 12 hours.

Loki
02-23-10, 22:38
Being prepared is good but you don't need as much as you think. I've been trapped in canyons at -45F and so long as you know what your doing you will be fine.

Proper clothing, basic first aid kit (and knowledge), simple things that will get the car started again (a dead battery or extra flat repair) would be all I'd be concerned about. How likely are you going to be working on the truck in the middle of no where in the winter? If the car is down in that way I'd come back with a tow truck.

cmiller683
02-24-10, 09:28
True. Much of it is over-kill and isn't needed for the most of us. But at the very least, you should carry some basic tools, spare fluids, and basic repair parts. Most of that stuff is cheap and small enough that carrying it doesn't take up much more space, so it's worth it. And granted, that truck list is more of a Armageddon-style kit. I don't even carry it all, but it's a good list to give you ideas and what you may need.

In my truck right now, I carry antifreeze, motor oil, some repair fluids, jb weld, a flashlight, a knife, jumper cables, and some basic hand-tools. However, I'm expanding on it, and as I start to put it together I'll learn what I really need, and what I just think I need.

We tend to go over-kill when compiling these handy-dandy lists....at least I do. It's once you start packing it all together that you start cutting things down, and deciding what you really need. That's my goal this weekend, so I'll keep you updated with both my brilliancy and idiocy. :D

rso
02-24-10, 21:02
Something close and handy in the cab or on your person that is definitively capable of easily breaking automotive side-window glass. This is more of an accident/pinned vehicle scenario, but definitely worth a thought.

fixer
03-10-10, 09:02
disposable camera for documenting accidents.

jumper cables, tire plugs, compressor, fix-a-flat.

the compressor is for *me*, so i can air up if i need to air down, and for fixing my own flats withthe plugs. the fix-a-flat is to back that up and to hand off to someone with a flat so i don't get hit while fixing some else's flat.

a high-viz/reflective vest is also a good idea for working on the side of the road.

row strap, 4' D handled shovel.

watch cap for cold weather, baseball cap or boonie hat for sunny weather.

basic tools, flashlight, road flares, work gloves, warm gloves, shop rags.

in my previous truck i usually had a large box in the back. kept a body bag in that... which makes a handy bivy shelter or hammock. you get interesting reactions from people when you tell them you keep a shovel and a body in the truck "for emergencies" :D

i also keep a large ABC fire extinguisher behind the driver's seat. at home i have one in every closet.

an "alabama credit card" or 10' of 1/4" clear vinyl tubing is good for siphoning gas. the small diameter, clear tubing helps reduce the amount of gas you suck down. whoever ran dry does the sucking. i'm not sucking gas to fuel up someone else's vehicle.

an LED headlight will elave your hands free to work.

hatidua
03-10-10, 20:23
Threads like this are interesting as environment has a lot to do with things.

Very true.

In 2004, I lived right on the water in SE Florida (Stuart) and we got hit to some degree by three hurricanes in the course of five weeks (Charlie, Francis, Jeanne, the latter two were direct hits). I left for two of them and having adequate rope/cord in the vehicle to tie gas cans on the roof rack was incredibly helpful. The gas stations on the way back home were all empty and it was good to have enough on the roof to keep filling the tank. I wanted to get back quickly as I knew most of my neighborhood was vacant and that wasn't a good feeling.

I now live in Colorado and hurricanes are no longer something I worry with. Now I keep a pair of -20* down sleeping bags in the vehicle in case there's an event in Winter in which I get stranded in the vehicle.

On several occasions, I've been stuck in Southeast Asia during the aftermath of a typhoon or earthquake and those have specific needs that are not encountered elsewhere.

If I've learned anything, it would be that "one size does not fit all".

Davesrb
04-30-10, 14:06
I'm glad I found this discussion, as it made me look at my selection of supplies again. I have Tuffy locking trunk in my Jeep unlimited. I have on board air compressor and a winch, and tall jack so some car repair situations are easier. I keep most of the same things every one else seems to recommend. But I also have a small solar power charger for cell phone and car battery tender duties. First aid kit and snake bite kit round it out.

I am in North Florida, so I carry only high calorie food bars and more water than many of you. Also a small water purifier pump. I don't need nearly as much in the way of cool weather gear, even in winter.

I also keep my Get Me Home bag locked in the back. Shelter for me is a compact hammock with 'skeeter net and rain cover and a space blanket.

I have an Eberlestock Gunslinger. I keep my M&P 15 with 6 loaded mag's in there. But if I'm just broken down in a non SHTF situation, I'll lock the AR up and leave it while I hike out. Walther PPS and a couple of mag's should be enough in the way of protection for everyday situations.

Davesrb

LMTRocks
05-16-10, 22:32
Living in KY in 2003 we experienced an ice storm that made me realize----adopt the cold and I'll be fine. I was fine, except for the fact that I hate summer now---too damn hot for me now.

I quickly realized the importance of warm food, and available hot water. House was w/o power for 8 days....an unenjoyable experience considering I had to keep the gas fireplace going and put plastic up over the doorways to heat the living room. Showers were hot but the bathroom's frigid.

I now am one of those "prepared" outdoorsmen who have a 5deg down bag, a Jetboil stove, a tent, hammock w/bug net (if I'm out during the warmer months), inflatable pillows, and water filter. Give me dehydrated food all I can stand and I can be outdoors for a while. I might start to stink after a while but it literally takes below zero water to keep me from being outside. How?

Lightweight but warm merino wool base layers. I use Minus33. love them. Very cost effective and performance minded innerwear
Down coats.
Down sleeping bag
Merino wool socks. Keep my feet dry and warm
Thinsulated boots.
A jetboil campstove, 1.5L cookpot, and several canisters of fuel.
Nalgene 1.5L silo bottles. opaque with blue lids. I've dropped them before. They don't shatter. and BPA free....
and you might want this:
http://www.svensaw.com/foldingaction.htm
It folds into a little tube. It opens up and trust me when I tell you it works. 4-5" is about the max you want to cut with it, but it's been so useful when backpacking. that way you can make firewood should u need to.

Moose-Knuckle
05-21-10, 07:22
Depending on the season determines what extra clothing I keep in my truck. Year round I keep...

My BOB (containg evertying from TP to H20)
Gerber Sport Ax
Gerber NATO Folding Spade
First Aid Kit
3-Cell Mag Light
Jumper Cables, de-icer, ice scraper, jack, etc...

On me...G19 with two extra mags, SF G2, Kershaw Blur, etc...