PDA

View Full Version : 239 .357 Rattler Sent to SIG--Still Rattles

brushy bill
11-17-09, 23:05
Just got my 239 .357 back from SIG. It rattled like a coffee can full of rocks after 185 rds of Speer Lawman 125gr TMJs. The enclosed note said the slide to frame fit was tightened, but I can't detect a perceptible difference.

Overall quick turn and there were no issues with the return. They sent a postage paid UPS label and sent it back within 9 days. However, I can't tell a difference.

Don't know that it makes a difference as function except for slide lock to rear on
last round (this could have been my big paws in way of slide stop with thumbs forward grip) wasn't impaired. However, my earlier version 220 never had this problem after many more rounds and friends with 9mm 239s don't have loose guns after many more rounds.

Just wanted to get some feedback on whether this is something to be concerned about or anomaly common with this caliber from the folks in the know out there.

Thanks for your time.

Top Gun Supply
11-18-09, 09:16
While it may be irritating, it should shoot fine. As long as you get a good barrel lock up in battery, it should be accurate. Some Sig's rattle worse than others, but they still seem to be accurate pistols.

The failure to lock the slide back after the last shot can be from your thumb touching the slide catch lever. This is a common problem with Sig shooters due to the location of the SCL.

kittyhawk
11-18-09, 11:59
I have a 239 as a issued duty gun and it rattles also but shoots like a champ. I had to swich from a a 229 after the slide split on me(43,000) rounds of Speer Gold Dot 125 jhp).
I also have the problem with the slide lock not locking back due to the way I grip the gun. I never had this problem with my 229 or 220 since they are a larger grip.
I just put Houge wrap arounds on it and that helped some but I just know to carry plenty of mags.

Dave

gtmtnbiker98
11-18-09, 12:25
The P239 rattle is normal and well documented.

John_Wayne777
11-18-09, 13:38
Just wanted to get some feedback on whether this is something to be concerned about or anomaly common with this caliber from the folks in the know out there.

Thanks for your time.

My experience is with a 9mm version of the P239, FWIW, but mine also feels rather "loose" compared to some other guns....but it's reliable and it's still more accurate than I am. IIRC the P239's typically "feel loose", but that's not an impediment to function or accuracy.

If the gun runs and if it shoots acceptable groups, I wouldn't worry about it.

ToddG
11-19-09, 11:22
The rattle is caused primarily by the tolerance between the barrel lug and the locking insert. Frame to slide fit on the gun is probably loose and if the lug wears, you get the rattle. It can be fixed by someone who knows what he's doing with the barrel lug, but it will not turn in better accuracy or reliability afterwards.

SIG accuracy, like most handguns, comes 95% from the lockup of the barrel to the slide. I had plenty of "rattler" SIGs that still consistently shot 2" or better at 25yd.

brushy bill
11-19-09, 19:20
Thanks to all for taking the time to respond. Appreciate your advice.

Obiwan
11-19-09, 19:53
Weird...I had a 239 in .357 and it never rattled???

I gave it to my dad when I consolidated calibers and he has never mentioned a rattle either:confused: