PDA

View Full Version : AMMO??

cmmoore628
03-06-07, 00:29
Any problems with Wolf ammo or steel cartridges and AR's? Heard it's not the best to use em. Preferred is brass. Any ideas? Thanks

Shihan
03-06-07, 01:26
The steel case is pretty harsh, I ouldnt shoot it in any of my guns even if it was free.

Robb Jensen
03-06-07, 04:37
The usual problem with Wolf or other steel cased ammo in ARs is that it's dirtier, and underpowered. The polymer and laquer does come off and gets the bolt pretty dirty. If you leave a loaded round in a hot chamber it has a high probability of getting stuck. For blastin' ammo Wolf runs well in my rifles after a 5.56mm NATO neck and throat reaming.

Joseywales
03-06-07, 20:32
I only use Wolf in an SKS or AK. Never in an AR.

rhino
03-06-07, 21:41
The only thing I think you need to be concerned about with Wolf is that you keep your gun clean to make sure it cycles properly. I don't like to clean my gun very often, but most commercial .223 and all 5.56 is hot enough to cycle my rifles even when the chamber and everything else are pretty dirty. Wolf is too wimpy to do that as consistently.

The only non-magazine-induced malfunction I ever had with my Bushmaster was a failure to extract/faux double feed using Wolf with a dirty gun. I was shooting a 3-gun match and trying to save some money (I fired 200 rounds the previous week with zero problems), and it happened in a stage where I was actually doing really well until then. I switch to AE223 for the rest of the match and the gun ran fine.

I have a buddy who actually feeds Wolf to his Clark Gator! It will shoot under an inch at 100 yards with the stuff (which shocked the crap out of both of us when we saw it the first time). He's never had a malfunction with it, but he cleans his rifle frequently.

usmcgrunt
03-06-07, 22:15
I have a tendency of using it simply cause its what was brought to the range! I have heard some say they wouldnt use it cause of issues with fauling the barrel then again I was told from my gunsmith that by the time that happened I would need another barrel anyway!

Grunt Out!

cmmoore628
03-06-07, 23:29
Thanks for the reply guys. It was all useful info. Keep em coming.

Resq47
03-07-07, 05:01
I'm with Rhino. My only failures with Wolf were on TD3 after running out of XM193, and neglecting cleaning after TD2. That equates to problems with the old lacquer stuff on a hot day after ~700 rounds without cleaning. Finished off with some scavenged XM193 and had zero further errors. My standard ammo since the XM193 dried up a few years ago is AE223.

The wolf 62gr polymer I shoot now is under powered, dirty, and stinks but it's much better than the M193/M855/SS109/262 that I don't have...

Nathan_Bell
03-07-07, 07:27
I'm with Rhino. My only failures with Wolf were on TD3 after running out of XM193, and neglecting cleaning after TD2. That equates to problems with the old lacquer stuff on a hot day after ~700 rounds without cleaning. Finished off with some scavenged XM193 and had zero further errors. My standard ammo since the XM193 dried up a few years ago is AE223.

The wolf 62gr polymer I shoot now is under powered, dirty, and stinks but it's much better than the M193/M855/SS109/262 that I don't have...

And there is the answer, its better than nothing. It gives you trigger time, is accurate enough for drills, gives you a failure drill every so often, and makes you do maintenace on yor weapon.

None of these are a bad thing.

jem375
03-07-07, 11:34
To be honest, I can't see paying what we pay for a good rifle and shooting crap through it....I also use it only in AK's and SKS's with the stronger extractors.

DBautista
03-07-07, 18:13
To be honest, I can't see paying what we pay for a good rifle and shooting crap through it....I also use it only in AK's and SKS's with the stronger extractors.

Or from a different angle...

If I pay good money for ANY rifle, it SHOULD shoot anything and everything I give it with zero to minimal problems.

graffex
03-07-07, 18:14
I know this is off-topic as it has nothing to do with ammo for AR's but how do you guys feel about using Wolf pistol ammo?

DBautista
03-07-07, 18:20
I know this is off-topic as it has nothing to do with ammo for AR's but how do you guys feel about using Wolf pistol ammo?

I use it ALOT! I have the good stuff as well, but why would you use it on outdoor paper punching and plate shooting at < than 50 yards? Wolf fits the bill for practice.

I even shoot it out of my Kimbers and Springfield 1911s! I have had no major problems with Wolf. Its also easy on the wallet.

EDinFL
03-07-07, 19:26

If I pay good money for ANY rifle, it SHOULD shoot anything and everything I give it with zero to minimal problems.

+1 if your AR has a promlem with Wolf or any other brand get a different AR

cmmoore628
03-07-07, 21:28
I use wolf for my 45. I've only come across one hard primer out of the hundreds I've shot. It may be dirtier than other ammo but I clean my gun after every visit to the range. With prices for 45 sky rocketin and all, Wolf has been my "go-to" round.
Thanks again guys for the feedback.

jem375
03-07-07, 22:25

If I pay good money for ANY rifle, it SHOULD shoot anything and everything I give it with zero to minimal problems. Go right ahead, will pass on Wolf...

-H-
03-07-07, 23:17
I use Wolf all the time for practice. I have used it for years and in my opinion if your AR15 can't run on lower powered Wolf and higher powered Military Surplus, there is something wrong with it. Out of over 20,000+ of .223 and .45 I've shot over the years I have had 3 blown primers and 4 casings stuck in the chamber. All the malfunctions were with .223. It may even be more than 20k, but the point is if you shoot a lot of it you will eventually get ammo related malfunctions.

Now, out of 3k rounds of XM855PD I had 3 blown primers, one of which got stuck in the fire control well underneath the trigger assembly completely stoping the weapon requiring disassembly to remove. Out 1k of 62grn ADCOM UAE shit I had countless blown primers. You see where this is going....

I usually shoot 300-400 rounds of .223/5.56 a week. For me practicing with Wolf and saving the highly reliable proven ammo for storage and serious use makes sense. It will not damage your AR15, I would suggest saving money and shooting more.

Resq47
03-08-07, 00:41
I've shot a few thousand rounds of Wolf in .40 and .45 without problems. I reload for .45 now and anecdotally I had a Ranger vet buddy threaten to kick my *$@ for shooting Wolf in my Kimber during break-in. :D

I also shoot the blazer aluminum cased pistol ammo, and ran through 1k during classwork last summer. No problems there either, other than the extraction groove being sharper and harder on thumbs than brass.