PDA

View Full Version : Finished 2 Solid Books...highly recommend

Derek_Connor
11-18-09, 09:46
Good Calories, Bad Calories (http://www.amazon.com/dp/1400033462/?tag=paleodietcom-20)

This broke a lot of the conventional wisdom about the current FDA pyramid, the "science" our american diets are founded on, and the benefits of foods once touted as bad.

Granted, Im skeptical on all levels being a scientist, but I thought the book was a great eye opener.

Its long, but goes fast. Highly recommend.

Primal Blue Print (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0982207700/?tag=paleodietcom-20)

This was an easier read, relating more to the average american and comparing them to our ancestors back in the hunter/gatherer periods. Still alot of science, but not as much as the previous book.

As always, I kept up with the book with an eye of skepticism, but it was another great eye opener. Only 200 pages...approx.

I think these books would be great to read for people who are looking to redo body composition, and maintain/increase functional fitness.

rob_s
11-18-09, 09:56
Derek, total hijack, but how would you say the first one fits in with something like the "Zone", and the second one fits in with the "Paleolithic Diet" trend?

Having not read either I could see potential for them either being diametrically opposed or right in line based on your description.

I think it's great to read many sources on this stuff so that people can make up their own minds and come up with what works for them. I currently hover around a paleo/zone/body-for-life hybrid that seems to work for me when I keep up with it, and am interested in adding your two recommended books for possibly more dimension.

Derek_Connor
11-18-09, 10:32
Rob,

I am not familiar with the "Zone" Diet, sorry.

I think both books tow the line in regards to scrutinizing grain based foods, simple carbohydtrates, sugar, etc. Pretty much anything created by man, dont eat it.

Taubes is a bit more heavily committed to exploiting the bias in the science that has led us "astray".

Sisson is putting more of a positive spin on the satisfaction eating the way were "designed" too.

They differ in regards to exercise a little bit.

But as with most, Im against an argument that "one size fits all", especially with dieting of all things.

Both have great points, and I'd like to read as many counter-points available..

rob_s
11-18-09, 10:59
The Zone basically has a ratio of cabs:proteins:fats that you stick to for every meal, and you try to avoid getting the carbs from grains.

The Zone Diet Basics

* Eat the correct ratio of 40% carbohydrate, 30% protein and 30% fat at every meal;
* Eat five times a day, whether you feel hungry or not: have three Zone meals and two Zone snacks;
* Don't let more than five hours pass without eating;
* Eat preferably when you are not so hungry, and your brain activity and concentration level are good. When you are hungry, your insulin level is too low. You are not in the Zone any longer.
* Drink eight glasses of water every day (1 glass equals 8 ounces);
* Eat only low fat protein, keep fruits and vegetables as your favorite source of carbohydrates, and add a dash of mono saturated fat (e.g. olive oil) to every meal;
* A Zone diet meal should not lead to a calorie intake higher than 500kcal. A Zone Diet snack should provide 100kcal.
* Use pasta, bread and other grain-foods only as a “condiment” for your meals.
* Exercise moderately to keep your body in a good shape.
* Don't worry if you leave the diet once, Dr. Sears says. With the next 40-30-30 meal you'll get right back into the Zone.

Derek_Connor
11-18-09, 11:15
The Zone basically has a ratio of cabs:proteins:fats that you stick to for every meal, and you try to avoid getting the carbs from grains.

The Zone Diet Basics

* Eat the correct ratio of 40% carbohydrate, 30% protein and 30% fat at every meal;
* Eat five times a day, whether you feel hungry or not: have three Zone meals and two Zone snacks;
* Don't let more than five hours pass without eating;
* Eat preferably when you are not so hungry, and your brain activity and concentration level are good. When you are hungry, your insulin level is too low. You are not in the Zone any longer.
* Drink eight glasses of water every day (1 glass equals 8 ounces);
* Eat only low fat protein, keep fruits and vegetables as your favorite source of carbohydrates, and add a dash of mono saturated fat (e.g. olive oil) to every meal;
* A Zone diet meal should not lead to a calorie intake higher than 500kcal. A Zone Diet snack should provide 100kcal.
* Use pasta, bread and other grain-foods only as a “condiment” for your meals.
* Exercise moderately to keep your body in a good shape.
* Don't worry if you leave the diet once, Dr. Sears says. With the next 40-30-30 meal you'll get right back into the Zone.

Got ya..

To compare the Zone to the Primal Blueprint by Sisson, they do collide a bit. Not saying I agree/disagree with the following, but this is where he differs:

- its more high fat/protein, and lower carb. Not necessarily atkins, since he advocates a wreckless amount of green leafy carbs.

- 5-6 meal a day protocol is abandoned completely. Based that your "satiety" is met with more efficiency eating animal fat and protein. With this type of diet, your blood glucose levels are stabilized, and you aren't riding the "carbohydrate curve" all day, thus not needed small meal every 3 hours.

- Avoid all grains. Eat fruit in moderation (and when you do, only the low glycemic load ones. So this is any type of berry at the end of the day)

-He's not big on water..obviously stay hydrated, but not obsess about getting liters and liters a day.

- He advocates more HIGH intensity exercise, less frequently. He's big on sprints and lifting heavy things.

When you are not sprinting/lifting heavy things, He is an advocate of low intensity cardio, between 55-7% of max HR. So this is usually low speed, high incline walks, etc. He doesn't condone "chronic cardio". The 10 mile run, 1 hour of cardio every morning type scenarios.

All interesting stuff..

rob_s
11-18-09, 11:28
The carbs thing is a huge deal to me. The 12 year old eats almost nothing but carbs, and then it's all grains. Waffles or cereal for breakfast, the only protein at lunch is whatever is in the sandwich and the high-sugar yogurt, etc. He's a runt (to the point of recently going for all sorts of testing because he finally fell off the acceptable curve), and I am frankly convinced that it's because he's eaten like this his whole life. I call him the "carbohydrate kid" all the time because of this. The mother has no interest in making him eat better, so I've decided to stay completely out of it and let him be a midget. But it's a stark reminder to me every day.

The mother is more concerned with things being "organic", which I think is horseshit. The kid should be eating a breakfast of bacon and eggs, whether it's organic or not.

rob_s
11-18-09, 11:31
On that note, I'm thinking of adding this book to my amazon order too
Cereal Killer (http://www.amazon.com/Cereal-Killer-Alan-L-Watson/dp/0972048111/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_f).

Derek_Connor
11-18-09, 11:40
The phrase "organic" has come up alot in my recent readings...

From my takings, "organic" is exactly that, bullshit.

Organic beef, organic eggs, organic this and that. Its good not to have trace amounts of synthetic pesticides in your foods or whatever, but there are just as many deadly "organic" pesticides that can be just as harmful.

The popular voices in the Paleo diets seem to voice that its more important to eat food that was raised eating their "naturally intended" diets.

So the terms you want to look for are "pasture fed beef, pasture fed chickens"

Milk, cream, butter can also be bought only from pasture feed cows.

All this means is that they are allowed to forage and eat their intended diets (grass, insects, hay) and they are not treated with antibiotics/hormones to make them fatter/sweeter etc.

This is what i've taken home...im still learning the science. To summarize it, allowing the beef and chickens to eat as intended, it balances out the Omega 3:6 fat ratios, which is one of the staples to the Paleo's long term health.

I'll give that book a try as well...seems interesting.

To break up the monotony of books..Try this DVD as well, Food, INC (http://www.amazon.com/Food-Inc-Eric-Schlosser/dp/B0027BOL4G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1258561697&sr=1-1)