PDA

View Full Version : loading 5.56 and what size primers?

Lawdog-1
11-18-09, 11:37
what size primers do I need to load 5.56 and which is the best brand of primers to us?

chadbag
11-18-09, 12:20
what size primers do I need to load 5.56 and which is the best brand of primers to us?

small rifle magnum. magnum primers have thicker cups which helps with the higher pressure 556

for regular 223 I often use plain small rifle as that is what I have on the shelf

CCI makes 556 primers especially made for 556. I have never used them though.

TomMcC
11-18-09, 12:34
You want to use any of the known (Rem 7 1/2, CCI,Win,Fed.) small rifle primers. I can't comment on the use of magnum SR primers, I have never had a need to use them. I am getting ready to test Wolf .223 SR primers. Every round of Wolf I have ever shot went bang, so the primers are probably fine. Do not use magnum small pistol primers or something like Rem 6 1/2s, they will pierce under .223 pressure. I ruined a bolt using Rem 6 1/2s.

chadbag
11-18-09, 13:03
You want to use any of the known (Rem 7 1/2, CCI,Win,Fed.) small rifle primers. I can't comment on the use of magnum SR primers, I have never had a need to use them. I am getting ready to test Wolf .223 SR primers. Every round of Wolf I have ever shot went bang, so the primers are probably fine. Do not use magnum small pistol primers or something like Rem 6 1/2s, they will pierce under .223 pressure. I ruined a bolt using Rem 6 1/2s.

What sort of load did you use with the 6 1/2 to ruin the bolt? Just wondering as lots of practice rounds are around 40k CUP which is what the 6 1/2 are supposedly good up to

TomMcC
11-18-09, 13:20
I don't remember the exact load (7-8 yrs ago), but it was a full power load. The 6 1/2s pierced and heavily pitted the bolt face around the firing pin. I called Remington to talk about it, and they said the 6 1/2s were for cartridges like the 22 Hornet. They graciously replaced my bolt, I did not do my due diligence in researching the proper use of the 6 1/2s, I just believed the guy at the store.

chadbag
11-18-09, 13:41
I don't remember the exact load (7-8 yrs ago), but it was a full power load. The 6 1/2s pierced and heavily pitted the bolt face around the firing pin. I called Remington to talk about it, and they said the 6 1/2s were for cartridges like the 22 Hornet. They graciously replaced my bolt, I did not do my due diligence in researching the proper use of the 6 1/2s, I just believed the guy at the store.

OK thanks. I have a few thousand 6 1/2 which I will be using for some low end 223 practice rounds. They should be OK. Supposedly up to around 40K CUP is OK and the win/hodgdon/IMR site shows starting loads with 55gr with BLC2 and similar powders to be 38-40K CUP. For doing drills and stuff that would be fine...

My 6 1/2 boxes are from the early 90s, when I just started reloading, and there is no warning on them I can find about 223 use. Interesting that they supposedly now print that on the box. I guess experience shows that they needed to do it since too many people were probably having issues (my conjecture).

I also have some 7 1/2 which should be just fine for normal use.

hayes
11-19-09, 16:18
Wolf SR Magnum primers (QQQSRM) are for 5.56 loads. They've been consistent and worked well for me so far.

QuietShootr
11-19-09, 16:26
What sort of load did you use with the 6 1/2 to ruin the bolt? Just wondering as lots of practice rounds are around 40k CUP which is what the 6 1/2 are supposedly good up to

6 1/2s are for .22 Hornet-class cartridges. They are not safe for any but a seriously downloaded .223/5.56 load.

QuietShootr
11-19-09, 16:27
OK thanks. I have a few thousand 6 1/2 which I will be using for some low end 223 practice rounds. They should be OK. Supposedly up to around 40K CUP is OK and the win/hodgdon/IMR site shows starting loads with 55gr with BLC2 and similar powders to be 38-40K CUP. For doing drills and stuff that would be fine...

I wouldn't do it unless you have spare bolts around.

5R milspec
11-19-09, 21:51
fwiw I like to use a CCI 450 mag with all of my loads.I have used the 400 but keep comeing back to the 450.never had a problem with either one just like the 450.but with the way things are going I may have to use what I can get my hands on when I run out of the 450's. hope you can find the one you want to try.

SMJayman
11-20-09, 22:11
I've used the CCI # 41s and had good results with them. I haven't played with any others though, so I can't comment on accuracy differences. Those with 75gr Hornady OTMs and 24.0gr of Varget made a 1 holer load at any range I can shoot at....

m4fun
11-20-09, 22:42
I really liked CCI regular SR (forget the number, but it is the generic one) I then wanted just to make training/plinking ammo and bought 1k of Wolf to try out - Worked like a champ. Just as consistant as the CCI. I did have to increase the depth on my 1050s swage just a turn as I was getting like two squashed/crushed primers per 100. That is a thing of the past.

If you do rifle matches, it is also easy to spot your rounds since the primer is a different color ;)