PDA

View Full Version : Applied CCW and worried

Skang
11-18-09, 16:07
*To Internet-lawyer* lol

Okay today was my day-off. nothing to do, so i went to local sheriff department and filled out CCW permit. yay!!! :D:D

Age 24. WA state.

However, at the same time i was little worried.

I had juvenile record (felony) that is SEALED. Also has letter from court that my Juvenile record has been SEALED. (letter mention that *as if they never occurred* this and that.

Soo...iam sitting front of computer little worried and at the same time excited.

Hope everything goes okay.

i scare :eek::eek:

ZDL
11-18-09, 16:39
*To Internet-lawyer* lol

Okay today was my day-off. nothing to do, so i went to local sheriff department and filled out CCW permit. yay!!! :D:D

Age 24. WA state.

However, at the same time i was little worried.

I had juvenile record (felony) that is SEALED. Also has letter from court that my Juvenile record has been SEALED. (letter mention that *as if they never occurred* this and that.

Soo...iam sitting front of computer little worried and at the same time excited.

Hope everything goes okay.

i scare :eek::eek:

What did you do?

cevtv
11-18-09, 16:41
Not sure about WA, but here in MA sealed does not apply to a history check for a gun license.

Gentoo
11-18-09, 18:02
sealed doesn't really mean sealed the way you think it does. however idk if that will dq from your ccw...

Skang
11-18-09, 18:31
sealed doesn't really mean sealed the way you think it does. however idk if that will dq from your ccw...

i don't mind get disqualified. I will more worried about if they said i lied on paper.

from court i was told, i could check "no" on if i had any criminal record.

i googled here and there, seems like its all depends on the state you are in like "cevtv" said.

HK51Fan
11-18-09, 19:02
Like the way you ignored the WHAT DID YOU DO? question.......what did you do?

snappy
11-18-09, 19:39
Like the way you ignored the WHAT DID YOU DO? question.......what did you do?

Why do you ask?

A-Bear680
11-18-09, 19:49
Some states specifically require CCW applicants to report all convictions , juvie records etc , etc , etc . Others ( IIRC) have a sunset time period -- if it's over a certain number of years it doesn't matter. Sometimes it's still reportable -- just not grounds to refuse to issue.

5pins
11-18-09, 20:09
Have you ever bought a handgun in WA? If so, and you passed the check, then you will be fine. The requirement for ownership and a permit are the same.

RCW 9.41.040 (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/Rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.040) covers Ownership and possession.

Taking a quick look at it. It depends on what the conviction was for and how long ago.

ZDL
11-18-09, 20:33
Have you ever bought a handgun in WA? If so, and you passed the check, then you will be fine. The requirement for ownership and a permit are the same.

RCW 9.41.040 (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/Rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.040) covers Ownership and possession.

Taking a quick look at it. It depends on what the conviction was for and how long ago.

Hence:

What did you do?

bkb0000
11-18-09, 21:54
Have you had your right to own firearms restored? A sealed felony record is not enough to restore rights to guns in WA.

To avoid a felony charge of unlawful possession of a firearm, an prohibited person must have a Pardon, Annulment, Certificate of Rehabilitation or an order restoring the right to possess firearms from a superior court.

www.washrecord.com - just about everything you need to know.

SteyrAUG
11-18-09, 23:20
Depending what you did, in most cases Juvie records don't apply.

Shotdown
11-19-09, 01:29
Depending what you did, in most cases Juvie records don't apply.

Yep. Don't ask.

Skang
11-19-09, 01:36
it happened about 6 years ago.

and no, i don't own any firearms. never had.

Thank you for helping me, but i dont think it matter what i did, because i was qualified to SEAL my record and it's SEALED.

well, what the hell, i was charged for burglary and became misdemeanor.Thats what the lady told me who handled my case, when i was there to seal my case.

I mean like i said, i don't mind get disqualified. I will more worried about they bring up i lied on the paper. and i did not lie. i just check like what court told me. hope this does not get any bigger.

Yes i worry too much.

And ones again thank you for care about my situation.

GackMan
11-19-09, 03:24
Why do you ask?

'cause if the OP stole something over $1000 when he was 9 years old or he killed someone when he was 17... there is kind of a diference.

CarlosDJackal
11-19-09, 04:49
The only time you should worry is if the law specifically states that a felony conviction as a juvinile prohibits one from obtaining a CCW or even possessing a firearm. In some instances, it does not matter if the record was sealed or expunged. Good luck!!

CarlosDJackal
11-19-09, 04:51
...I will more worried about they bring up i lied on the paper. and i did not lie...

If you answered the application truthfully then you probably don't have anything to worry about. If you answered falsely, then you might be in trouble. FWIW

CAVEAT: I am neither a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.

HD1911
11-19-09, 06:06
CAVEAT: I am neither a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.

But did you stay at a Holiday Inn last nite? :p

ra2bach
11-19-09, 09:03
it happened about 6 years ago.

and no, i don't own any firearms. never had....

so if you don't own any firearms, why are you applying for CCW? because it was your day off and you had nothing to do???

do you think carrying a lethal weapon is a decision you make because you're bored? how old are you?

ST911
11-19-09, 09:20
well, what the hell, i was charged for burglary and became misdemeanor.Thats what the lady told me who handled my case, when i was there to seal my case.

Wait a minute... You need to learn more about your own case. Go get a copy of your file from the clerk or prosecutors office.

By the above, I take it you were charged with a felony, and plead it to a misdemeanor? You have a misdemeanor burglary for lesser charging? Perhaps an "unlawful entry" of some type? What other misdemeanor?

WA cops, chime in?

If it's a misdemeanor, you likely have nothing to worry about, sealed or not.

Iraqgunz
11-19-09, 11:37
AFAIK the most likely charge would be criminal trespass 1st degree which is a gross misdemeanor.

If I were the OP I would make darn sure that I knew exactly what I was convicted of and get some supporting docs.

Wait a minute... You need to learn more about your own case. Go get a copy of your file from the clerk or prosecutors office.

By the above, I take it you were charged with a felony, and plead it to a misdemeanor? You have a misdemeanor burglary for lesser charging? Perhaps an "unlawful entry" of some type? What other misdemeanor?

WA cops, chime in?

If it's a misdemeanor, you likely have nothing to worry about, sealed or not.

HK51Fan
11-19-09, 14:10
Why do you ask?

Op said he was caught for burglary...that's a lot different than say if he were a firebug, rapist, cat or dog killer.......some type of violent past. So he stole...not good, but doesn't make him violent. I personally was picked up for shop lifting and then I and some friends also broke into the General's guest quarter's on Fort Richardson, AK and had a party.
Went down and broke into the managers office and 'liberated" all of the beer and little whisky bottles.....invited all of the girls on post over. Fire alarm went off and I left my hat behind with my name and address written in the headband!! Sooooo.......it was a no brainer i was caught. Didn't give anyone up though took the full punishment....6mos of hand delivering the base times newspaper to all of the officer's quarter's includung the General Officers up on the hill and the time started in Nov...so not to much fun.

What I'm saying is that there are certain things that are just stupid and other's that can indicate a potentially disturbed and violent person.

HK51Fan
11-19-09, 14:14
Could this possibly be a deferred adjudication case instead of a sealed juvi report? It's starting to sound like that.

R

snappy
11-19-09, 19:23
Op said he was caught for burglary...that's a lot different than say if he were a firebug, rapist, cat or dog killer.......some type of violent past. So he stole...not good, but doesn't make him violent. I personally was picked up for shop lifting and then I and some friends also broke into the General's guest quarter's on Fort Richardson, AK and had a party.
Went down and broke into the managers office and 'liberated" all of the beer and little whisky bottles.....invited all of the girls on post over. Fire alarm went off and I left my hat behind with my name and address written in the headband!! Sooooo.......it was a no brainer i was caught. Didn't give anyone up though took the full punishment....6mos of hand delivering the base times newspaper to all of the officer's quarter's includung the General Officers up on the hill and the time started in Nov...so not to much fun.

What I'm saying is that there are certain things that are just stupid and other's that can indicate a potentially disturbed and violent person.

That makes perfect sense HK. I was assuming that the record of a violent assault/weapons type charge wouldn't get pleaded down and sealed, but I really don't have any experience with that kind of stuff and was making a pretty big assumption. Thanks for sharing your story (!). Sounds like you had a hell of a night but that must have been a long Winter!

Gentoo
11-19-09, 23:14
If I were the OP I would make darn sure that I knew exactly what I was convicted of and get some supporting docs.

Best advice in this thread.

SW-Shooter
11-19-09, 23:46
I don't think criminals should be allowed to own weapons, including firearms.

If you committed such an offense when you were 15 you were old enough to know what you were doing was wrong. IMO you should not be able to own a firearm, let alone a CHL.

But my opinion is skewed because I've been a "victim" of crime.

MSP "Sarge"
11-20-09, 00:04
If I remember right in Maryland when a juvenile is charged with a violation of Maryland Law they are charged with Juvenile Delinquency. The exception would be a violation of the motor vehicle laws. A citation is issued. If it were a motor vehicle law violation that carried a jail sentence then one would be charged with Juvenile Delinquency. The severity of the crime does matter but the Circut Court Judge imposes the penelty. So as a juvenile one would be charged with Juvenile Deliquncy if the crime carried any jail time. Hope that makes sense.

In Maryland would being charged with Juvenile Delinquency disqualify one from purchasing a hangun or being issued a CCW Permit? I don't know.

Skang
11-20-09, 01:23
i found this on WA court website.

"If the court grants the motion to seal records, the official juvenile court file, the social file, and other records relating to the case shall be treated as if they never occurred, and the subject of the records may reply accordingly to any inquiry about the records which are sealed. Except that no identifying information held by the Washington State Patrol is subject to sealing."

Can someone explain bolded line in different way?

my English is not that good.

ST911
11-20-09, 23:11
I don't think criminals should be allowed to own weapons, including firearms. If you committed such an offense when you were 15 you were old enough to know what you were doing was wrong. IMO you should not be able to own a firearm, let alone a CHL. But my opinion is skewed because I've been a "victim" of crime.

I've been the victim of crime, too. I disagree. There are offenses in which the offenders deserve life-long sanctions for their crimes. There are some that don't.

BrianS
11-21-09, 01:39
i found this on WA court website.

"If the court grants the motion to seal records, the official juvenile court file, the social file, and other records relating to the case shall be treated as if they never occurred, and the subject of the records may reply accordingly to any inquiry about the records which are sealed. Except that no identifying information held by the Washington State Patrol is subject to sealing."

Can someone explain bolded line in different way?

my English is not that good.

It means that your fingerprints, mugshots, etc. are not sealed.

BKB already posted this link, you can call and get a free consultation from a real attorney who does gun rights stuff in Washington:

http://www.washrecord.com/index.htm

Much better idea than getting legal advice off the internet.

:p

Skang
11-21-09, 15:01
I think i will be okay. not no problem, but okay.

Because one time i asked my order sister to call Juvi court too see if i can apply for getting a firearm with Expunged record.

And Court counselor said "No" Not with expunged record, It has be to sealed.

So that's what i did. SEALED.

And don't mention it again.

perna
11-21-09, 15:22
If you already knew the answer why did you bother posting?

Safetyhit
11-21-09, 17:17
I don't think criminals should be allowed to own weapons, including firearms.

If you committed such an offense when you were 15 you were old enough to know what you were doing was wrong. IMO you should not be able to own a firearm, let alone a CHL.

But my opinion is skewed because I've been a "victim" of crime.

Not sure just how bad that crime was, but you are sure correct that your view is skewed. And very unfairly so.

I think we all have been a victim of a crime at some point, some of us several times over. Not really a legitimate excuse for being so hard line, as emotion should never be the basis for firearm law.

Belmont31R
11-21-09, 18:06
I've been the victim of crime, too. I disagree. There are offenses in which the offenders deserve life-long sanctions for their crimes. There are some that don't.

My general philosophy is that if someone is released from prison then they should be just like any other citizen. Sure have a record...but its stupid to expect that just because a piece of paper says someone cannot own a gun they are not going to be armed. If someone is released, and cannot be trusted with something they could obtain rather easily then they should still be in prison.

I am convinced the one thing we could do to reduce crime the most is simply keep people locked up for much long periods of time. The rate of recurrence in criminals who are released is astronomical. One of those things where 10% create 80% of the problems...

ST911
11-21-09, 19:54
I think i will be okay. not no problem, but okay. Because one time i asked my order sister to call Juvi court too see if i can apply for getting a firearm with Expunged record. And Court counselor said "No" Not with expunged record, It has be to sealed. So that's what i did. SEALED. And don't mention it again.

You got some good advice in this thread. Are you going to follow through with it and check your record(s) and get definitive information?

A conversation your sister had with a (court counselor? What's that?) is of limited usefulness here.

My general philosophy is that if someone is released from prison then they should be just like any other citizen. Sure have a record...but its stupid to expect that just because a piece of paper says someone cannot own a gun they are not going to be armed. If someone is released, and cannot be trusted with something they could obtain rather easily then they should still be in prison. I am convinced the one thing we could do to reduce crime the most is simply keep people locked up for much long periods of time. The rate of recurrence in criminals who are released is astronomical. One of those things where 10% create 80% of the problems...

The research on punishment is interesting, and there's a lot of disagreement on what works and what doesn't. What is more interesting is that they all tend to agree that for each offense, and each offender, there's an optimum length of incarceration, and then post-incarceration supervision. Too little, and it's ineffective. Too much, and it has diminished, and undesirable effects. A good PSI is supposed to find those magic numbers, but it's often guesswork and tailchasing.

Short: Longer sentences aren't always better. More effective sentences is where it's at.

Safetyhit
11-21-09, 20:13
If someone is released, and cannot be trusted with something they could obtain rather easily then they should still be in prison.

While good natured and even sensible, it is both non-practical as well as simply untrue.

In a perfect world, maybe.

Belmont31R
11-21-09, 20:16
You got some good advice in this thread. Are you going to follow through with it and check your record(s) and get definitive information?

A conversation your sister had with a (court counselor? What's that?) is of limited usefulness here.

The research on punishment is interesting, and there's a lot of disagreement on what works and what doesn't. What is more interesting is that they all tend to agree that for each offense, and each offender, there's an optimum length of incarceration, and then post-incarceration supervision. Too little, and it's ineffective. Too much, and it has diminished, and undesirable effects. A good PSI is supposed to find those magic numbers, but it's often guesswork and tailchasing.

Short: Longer sentences aren't always better. More effective sentences is where it's at.

Ive seen a few interviews with prison officials who state 60-70%+ of their inamates will be back in the prison system within a couple years of release. Most within the first year. Our prison system is nothing but a joke. Just release people so they can go victimize a few more people, spend a few years in jail, and then back on the streets to go repeat the process. Just watched a show last night where a guy was pleading guilty to rape, plead down to a misdemeanor, and got 3 years probation. For RAPE! Then he attacks and kills 3 women within a few years of the first rape before he he is caught again. Then after all that he only gets 60 years in jail, and with good time and probation could be out in 30 years or so. Its disgusting the way our justice system turns animals loose to go victimize us again and again.

I would like to see the figures on how much it actually costs to just lock up a rapist for life vs. letting them out, and then the police and court costs when they go rape and kill again. With 60-70% turning to crime after release that has to eat up a lot of LE and court system resources. I think it would be cheaper just to keep them in jail because more than likely they are going to go back there anyways.

snappy
11-21-09, 22:58
I think what we need is a realistic death penalty for these violent multi offenders. Not a decade or more on "death row" to the tune of $100k a year or multiple life sentences piled up into the prison system. Guilty without a doubt? Give em a sandwich, maybe a beer, then march em into a room with a pistol in your hand.

SHIVAN
11-21-09, 23:06
So you don't know what happened to case? Are you just stupid? Or a drama queen?

If the other guys discussing theoretical/hypothetical stuff want to continue, they'll need to start a new thread.

This one is closed.